Propose trade of mike BIbby to the Hawks??

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sh...lumns/entries/2007/06/21/dont_gripe_if_h.html

He can bring to the Hawks what Billy Knight, thinking wistfully, hoped Shelden Williams would. And if you’re thinking Horford would simply wind up playing behind Josh Smith at power forward — obviously you’d want a dead solid starter from such a lofty slot — remember that Smith will be a free agent after next season and could be packaged, perhaps with the No. 11 pick, in a trade for a seasoned point guard. (Mike Bibby, maybe?)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Just a sports columnist's musing, but yeah, I have been wondering about that #11 as well. Getting the #3 is a stretch, but if they are intered in Bibby, getting the #11 might not be, which would be a nifty trick putting us in control of the middle of the lottery withr both #10 and #11 (unles we found some way to move upfrom #10 as well).

In any case though, there is still Bibby's ETo to worry about, and with his contract size there would have to be a lot of bodies moving. We'd get Speedy's shaky contract for sure (although at least it goes DOWN over the years, rather than up), Lorenzen Wright's ender, and then probably one of their other PGs with an ender (Lue or Johnson)..

Ther would be a real temptation for Atlanta I would think. They could start next year:

Mike Bibby
Joe Johnson
Josh Smith
Al Horford
Zaza Pachulia

Marvin Williams
Josh Childress
Shelden Williams
Tyrone Lue

Keep their youth and field a pretty strong and compelte lineup. Maybe make a separate move with some of their kids to get a better center.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/sh...lumns/entries/2007/06/21/dont_gripe_if_h.html

He can bring to the Hawks what Billy Knight, thinking wistfully, hoped Shelden Williams would. And if you’re thinking Horford would simply wind up playing behind Josh Smith at power forward — obviously you’d want a dead solid starter from such a lofty slot — remember that Smith will be a free agent after next season and could be packaged, perhaps with the No. 11 pick, in a trade for a seasoned point guard. (Mike Bibby, maybe?)
Yeah, we've talked about this before. Atlanta has been sitting in the cellar for years - MANY YEARS. So, if you're Atlanta, do you want to wait for another three years for Acie Law at #11 to develop into a point guard? Heck no. If you insert Bibby, all of a suddent you've got a real team. I think it's an absolute no-brainer for Atlanta to surrender their #11. In fact, I think they'd have to think about giving up their #3.

Just a sports columnist's musing, but yeah, I have been wondering about that #11 as well. Getting the #3 is a stretch, but if they are intered in Bibby, getting the #11 might not be, which would be a nifty trick putting us in control of the middle of the lottery withr both #10 and #11 (unles we found some way to move upfrom #10 as well).

In any case though, there is still Bibby's ETo to worry about, and with his contract size there would have to be a lot of bodies moving. We'd get Speedy's shaky contract for sure (although at least it goes DOWN over the years, rather than up), Lorenzen Wright's ender, and then probably one of their other PGs with an ender (Lue or Johnson)..

Ther would be a real temptation for Atlanta I would think. They could start next year:

Mike Bibby
Joe Johnson
Josh Smith
Al Horford
Zaza Pachulia

Marvin Williams
Josh Childress
Shelden Williams
Tyrone Lue

Keep their youth and field a pretty strong and compelte lineup. Maybe make a separate move with some of their kids to get a better center.
thats a pretty good starting line up there. they have 2 legit players who could go off for 20pts on any given night.

Yeah, we've talked about this before. Atlanta has been sitting in the cellar for years - MANY YEARS. So, if you're Atlanta, do you want to wait for another three years for Acie Law at #11 to develop into a point guard? Heck no. If you insert Bibby, all of a suddent you've got a real team. I think it's an absolute no-brainer for Atlanta to surrender their #11. In fact, I think they'd have to think about giving up their #3.
True. Plus, their first round pick goes to Phoenix next year, no matter what. So, it's another incentive to try and win this year, by betting on a vet, at a position they need most help at.

Wonder if their muddled ownership situation shall prevent any major moves though.

Or Javaris Critteron at the #11.

There is almost no way to make this work considering Bibby's contract is about 10 million more per year than Smiths. Atlanta(except for Johnsons') contract are all pretty small so it would have to be a 4 or 5 for 1 swap and most of the other stuff they have is crap.

In this draft there is no player who is going to help them win right now. Both their picks are expendable, and maybe they package the 11 with Josh Smith who will be a FA anyway next year. This way the kings can draft the best player available at the 10 and then get whoever else they were considering with the 11. or use them as further trade bait, maybe to ship artest. to milwaukee. for mo williams :D

There is almost no way to make this work considering Bibby's contract is about 10 million more per year than Smiths. Atlanta(except for Johnsons') contract are all pretty small so it would have to be a 4 or 5 for 1 swap and most of the other stuff they have is crap.
unless you involve a third team w/ capspace, picks and expirings to help make the trade work. IE, brad miller trade to sac. i believe san antonio helped facilitate the trade.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
True. Plus, their first round pick goes to Phoenix next year, no matter what. So, it's another incentive to try and win this year, by betting on a vet, at a position they need most help at.

Wonder if their muddled ownership situation shall prevent any major moves though.
Excellent point about the Phoenix pick.

Atlanta is ready to deal.

Minni is ready to deal.

Boston is ready to deal.

Chicago is ready to deal.

Sacramento is ready to deal.

Let's Make a Deal!!!!

Atlanta is under the cap so the Kings don't have to take back equal salary.

This could be an interesting idea for both/all sides. Our rebuilding will go a lot easier if we were to have both the 10th and 11th picks (possibly the 3rd but i doubt it).

Actually Acie Law is one of the most polished players in the draft

None of this could happen until after sometime in Mid-July anyway(whenever the moratorium is lifted) based on Bibby's contract option status. Depending on the Salary cap level for '07-'08 it may work. Right now for this past season Atlanta is about 5 million under the cap with about the same amount of Salary allocated for next year so someone else is has to be included from the Hawks side.

Atl is or will be under the cap to absorb some salary, Claxton's deal can be thrown into the mix as well as Lorenzen Wright, Tyronn Lue, Anthony Johnson etc...I think the Hawks are GREAT trading partners with us at this point.

I have been hearing that Atlanta is shopping the #3. Personally I would rather take the #3, but I think it would cost us the #10, and Bibby, plus we would have to take on a couple of their contracts.

A more realistic thing is to trade Bibby for #11, and a player.

A perfect scenario would have Yi and Conley dropping to #10, and pick them back to back w/ 10th/11th picks.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I have been hearing that Atlanta is shopping the #3. Personally I would rather take the #3, but I think it would cost us the #10, and Bibby, plus we would have to take on a couple of their contracts.

A more realistic thing is to trade Bibby for #11, and a player.

A perfect scenario would have Yi and Conley dropping to #10, and pick them back to back w/ 10th/11th picks.
We'll give them Bibby and #10 for whomever and #11.

Bricklayer

Actually as I mentioned this works just fine:

Bibby $13.5mil

for

Claxton $6.2mil
Wright $3.0mil (ender)
Johnson $2.8mil (ender)

Actually as I mentioned this works just fine:

Bibby $13.5mil

for

Claxton $6.2mil
Wright $3.0mil (ender)
Johnson $2.8mil (ender)
not sure what the Salary Cap ($55 mil???) or how this works, but we could just do it for those two enders without Claxton. that puts the Hawks at like $53 million. maybe take Lue instead, which is about $3.5 million and ends after next season

if we take on Speedy's contract then we deserve that #3 pick

I'd go #10 and Bibby for the #3. They use their additional cap space (4.6 mil) and as little back in contracts as possible. Maybe we can get them to toss in a 2nd rounder this year or a protected first down the road.

I'd think differently if I knew Wright/Yi/Noah/Conley would be there, but I really don't. So in essence its Horford and cap space for Bibby and Hawes/Wright.

I think Horford is a stud. No-frills, athletic, strong, big, hard-working, great defense and solid offensive game. Like a much more talented Brian Grant.

Bricklayer

not sure what the Salary Cap ($55 mil???) or how this works, but we could just do it for those two enders without Claxton. that puts the Hawks at like $53 million. maybe take Lue instead, which is about $3.5 million and ends after next season

if we take on Speedy's contract then we deserve that #3 pick
Claxton's deal...well I certainly don't love it. Represents that class of deal (middling vet aat or above the MLE) that I abhor unless filling a very particular gap. But he's a better playuer than he showed last year, and quite dynamic as New Orleans' 6th man -- of course he mgiht end up starting here for a bit until we found or developed better, but he could have a role even once we were up to speed in a Bobby sort of way. And it still is less than half as big as Mike's deal, so we still shave 7 million off the cap at the end oif next year -- actually $8 mil off the cap, because while Mike's deal goes up, Speedy's does something nifty and goes DOWN. Gets cheaper every year. I want to get #3-#5 somehow, but if the above was the best we could pull, I think it would be a step in the right direction for rebuilding. Significant cap room, disposable fill in vets with enders, and then of course another lottery pick.

And watch this: ;)

Then:

1) Twist Riles' arm a bit and get that #20 and JWill out of him for Ron. (plausible)
2) If they do nothing more spectacular, call the Bulls up and offer them 2 conditional deals: either a) if Yi is still there at #9, we trade them #10 and Reef in exchange for them holding Yi for us. Or if he's not, then trade them Reef for their two 2nd round picks (I think they are far enough uner the cap to absorb this, but may depend on the qualifying offer to Nocioni). (plausible)
3) Call up Ainge, point out he does not have a center, offer him Miller and the #10 for the #5, and see how he reacts. If he agrees, then have him sit on Yi, we take the guy of his choice at #10, and then we trigger the 2 2nd rounder deal with Chicago for Reef. (eh, maybe plausible, even if not, you still have the #10 and Brad, who SOMEBODY must want. ;) )

Who knows, you could come strutting on home with maybe the #5, #11, #20 and two 2nd round picks and boom, it would be an instant rebuild with draft picks and $20+mil of enders (JWill, Wright, Johnson, Ratliff). Of course last time we did that (1990) we screwed up. But we screwed up by drafting like **** that year. This year with the sort of ammo above you could end up with Yi, Jason Smtih AND Thaddeus Young. Or Yi, Young AND Splitter. Or... And that's not to mention Fesenko and whoever as 2nd rounders. Or the huge cap room allowing us to sign a majro free agent, or two, next summer.

Intricate dream scenario, but nothing there is impossible. Ainge is the only one that's a stretch, and maybe not. He's already got a young PF, and could get a help-now center in Brad and a Hawes/Green type guy from our #10.

Holdover Kids
Kevin
Cisco
Douby
Price
Williams

Picks

Non-liquidated salaried vets
Thomas
Claxton
Salmons

Enders
JWill (ending)
Ratliff (ending)
Wright (ending)
Johson (ending)

And there's your 1 yr rebuild roster. Yr 2 will be another lottery pick, and huge caproom for a FA (some would go to resigning Kevin). Then you're off.

Last edited:
Claxton's deal...well I certainly don't love it. Represents that class of deal (middling vet aat or above the MLE) that I abhor unless filling a very particular gap. But he's a better playuer than he showed last year, and quite dynamic as New Orleans' 6th man -- of course he mgiht end up starting here for a bit until we found or developed better, but he could have a role even once we were up to speed in a Bobby sort of way. And it still is less than half as big as Mike's deal, so we still shave 7 million off the cap at the end oif next year -- actually $8 mil off the cap, because while Mike's deal goes up, Speedy's does something nifty and goes DOWN. Gets cheaper every year. I want to get #3-#5 somehow, but if the above was the best we could pull, I think it would be a step in the right direction for rebuilding. Significant cap room, disposable fill in vets with enders, and then of course another lottery pick.
they'd almost certainly want to get rid of his deal if they were getting a player of Bibby's caliber. which is why i think they miiiight give up that #3 for Bibby. and i'd take on that contract for Al Horford

interesting scenario you put out there. could work. if only we could mass email it to Petrie somehow