Horford & Noah

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Len Elmore said that Horford was the backbone of the Florida team, not Noah. I agree with Elmore. I like Horford much better than Noah; he's better offensively, he's a better rebounder (17 against UCLA), and he's very good defensively. Unlike Noah, he has a body (6'10', 245) that can get position underneath the basket in the NBA. If the Kings picked this guy, I would be a happy camper.

Len Elmore said that Horford was the backbone of the Florida team, not Noah. I agree with Elmore. I like Horford much better than Noah; he's better offensively, he's a better rebounder (17 against UCLA), and he's very good defensively. Unlike Noah, he has a body (6'10', 245) that can get position underneath the basket in the NBA. If the Kings picked this guy, I would be a happy camper.
We'd need a top 5 pick to get him? The top 2, if they leave aren't arguable, with Durant and Oden. We'd have to get the 3rd pick to select him. I'm not sure if he's worth it but he is better than Noah in the long run.

Based on the projections I've seen there it does not appear likely that we will be able to draft either one of these guys.

Draftexpress has the Kings taking Tiago Splitter with the #9 pick in the latest mock draft.

Gary

All-Star
Realistically we COULD have as low as about the 6th pick. The difference between 6th-11th is about 2 1/2 games right now.

We can go no lower than the 6th worse record, and no higher than the 11th. So here hoping we are 6th :D

Last edited:
Realistically we COULD have as low as about the 6th pick. The difference between 6th-11th is about 2 1/2 games right now.

We can go no lower than the 6th worse record, and no higher than the 11th. So here hoping we are 6th :D
We could also win the Lottery thus getting a top 3 pick.

Based on the projections I've seen there it does not appear likely that we will be able to draft either one of these guys.

Draftexpress has the Kings taking Tiago Splitter with the #9 pick in the latest mock draft.
I've followed Splitter for the last few years, and he's actually improved quite a bit. If we do end up getting 8th-11th pick, I wouldnt mind taking him, he's gotten alot stronger in the past 2 years.

At this point I'd be happy with the best big man available, whether it's Horford, Noah, Hibbert or whomever.

I have my preferences, but as long as we land a talented big man from this draft, I think I'll be pacified.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
At this point I'd be happy with the best big man available, whether it's Horford, Noah, Hibbert or whomever.

I have my preferences, but as long as we land a talented big man from this draft, I think I'll be pacified.
Bravo!

I totally agree. If we don't get a big out of this year's draft, and go instead for the best player regardless of position, we're going to be looking at another year of disappointment and frustration. Talented bigs aren't out there growing on trees and teams who have them aren't willing to part with them.

We have to grab someone decent from the draft and then build accordingly. He doesn't have to be the next Amare or the next LeBron, but he has to be better than what we have right now...

Bravo!

I totally agree. If we don't get a big out of this year's draft, and go instead for the best player regardless of position, we're going to be looking at another year of disappointment and frustration. Talented bigs aren't out there growing on trees and teams who have them aren't willing to part with them.

We have to grab someone decent from the draft and then build accordingly. He doesn't have to be the next Amare or the next LeBron, but he has to be better than what we have right now...
Not trying to harp on this (see my post in the Collison thread), but I just can't disagree more. I'd much rather get the BPA than reach for a big man just because we need one. Yes, it will be another year or two of frustration. But really, this team has a severe lack of young, elite talent. 2-3 years in the lottery would do us very well in restocking the coffers. If we got someone like Jeff Green this year, and then a big man next year (Kevin Love?) after another horrible season, we would be set for the next decade.

If we take someone like Tiago Splitter, who to me has bust written all over him, this season was an entire waste, and it would set the franchise back at least 5 years as we try and recover from that mistake, while Jeff Green becomes an all-star somewhere else.

Edit: Just let me add, obviously if there is a top-flight big man available, take him! I LOVE Roy Hibbert and Al Horford. Outside of Oden/Durant, those guys are at the top of my list. We have to hope they slip to us, though. If they don't, we need to just get the most talented guy we can. If we get Green we could throw him into the fire and deal Artest if we wanted to. Same with Brewer. If we got Collison/Conley Jr./Acie Law IV/whoever, we could deal Bibby...maybe get a couple draft picks.

So, yeah...if there's a big man you can really build around...GET HIM. Otherwise, don't reach and get someone who is going to be a marginal player just because you lack a quality big man.

Last edited:
Not trying to harp on this (see my post in the Collison thread), but I just can't disagree more. I'd much rather get the BPA than reach for a big man just because we need one. Yes, it will be another year or two of frustration. But really, this team has a severe lack of young, elite talent. 2-3 years in the lottery would do us very well in restocking the coffers. If we got someone like Jeff Green this year, and then a big man next year (Kevin Love?) after another horrible season, we would be set for the next decade.

If we take someone like Tiago Splitter, who to me has bust written all over him, this season was an entire waste, and it would set the franchise back at least 5 years as we try and recover from that mistake, while Jeff Green becomes an all-star somewhere else.

Edit: Just let me add, obviously if there is a top-flight big man available, take him! I LOVE Roy Hibbert and Al Horford. Outside of Oden/Durant, those guys are at the top of my list. We have to hope they slip to us, though. If they don't, we need to just get the most talented guy we can. If we get Green we could throw him into the fire and deal Artest if we wanted to. Same with Brewer. If we got Collison/Conley Jr./Acie Law IV/whoever, we could deal Bibby...maybe get a couple draft picks.

So, yeah...if there's a big man you can really build around...GET HIM. Otherwise, don't reach and get someone who is going to be a marginal player just because you lack a quality big man.
Why can't we just win the lottery and make the decision just so much easier? ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Why can't we just win the lottery and make the decision just so much easier? ;)
Ah, but there's still a fly in the ointment.

Do you take Oden or Durant? I honestly think Oden might not be all that and a bag of chips. I haven't been that impressed during the post-season. I'm concerned there's a legitimate chance he could end up being good but not GREAT...

He certainly isn't a LeBron and I don't think he's even an Amare. But time will tell, I suppose. I do know I'm getting very anxious for tonight's tipoff.

GO GATORS!!!!!

;)

Do you take Oden or Durant? I honestly think Oden might not be all that and a bag of chips. I haven't been that impressed during the post-season. I'm concerned there's a legitimate chance he could end up being good but not GREAT...

He certainly isn't a LeBron and I don't think he's even an Amare. But time will tell, I suppose. I do know I'm getting very anxious for tonight's tipoff.

GO GATORS!!!!!

;)
How 'bout this: I'll take either. Durrant may become The Next Big Thing (TM) in the NBA, but Oden is as good a "consolation" as consolation prizes get.

GO GATORS!!!!!

;)
I don't get how your infatuated with Noah but Oden has been much better this postseason. Honestly, I don't like either but Oden has been better this year. Noah was amazing during last years run but Oden, when he hasn't been in foul trouble has easily been better.

On the current team, if you want a title contending team, I think Oden is definitely the way to go although we still need more pieces in place for a formal title run. I love Durant a lot more though when it comes to watching him.

GO GATORS!!!!!

;)
i wouldn't worry too much about that.

oden's problem is that he gets himself into foul trouble too often. when he's on the court, though...he is indeed all that and a bag of potato chips. he's a freshman in college. the dude's younger than i am. he'll have to learn to control himself on the court so as to stay out of foul trouble, but he's got enough defensive talent and offensive upside to make him a superstar in the nba.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We'll have to see, won't we? I'm just not sold. I could easily be wrong (it certainly wouldn't be the first time) but I just don't see the superstar that is being touted in all the media. Good, probably. Great? I just don't see it ... yet. And I'm still more than partially convinced he's really more like 25 than your age, Padrino.

;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't get how your infatuated with Noah but Oden has been much better this postseason.
I think you're reading way too much into my comments. I've said that I have a hunch about Joakim Noah; there's just something there I can't quite name that gives me the feeling he may end up being a lot more than most people are currently projecting.

We're not gonna get Greg Oden. If, however, Noah is still around when we do make our pick, I wouldn't mind hearing David Stern announce "And with the ___ pick of the 2007 NBA Draft, the Sacramento Kings select Joakim Noah."

That's all I'm saying. If I had to pick the one person in the draft I would like the most, it would actually be Durant.

We'll have to see, won't we? I'm just not sold. I could easily be wrong (it certainly wouldn't be the first time) but I just don't see the superstar that is being touted in all the media. Good, probably. Great? I just don't see it ... yet. And I'm still more than partially convinced he's really more like 25 than your age, Padrino.

;)
he sure looks like it, don't he? he's about 10 months younger than me, but he looks about 30. the only player in the nba with as advanced a physicality as greg oden, considering their age, is dwight howard. stoudemire comes really close as well. all three are the next generation big men, though oden has the makings of a slightly more traditional nba center. he's athletic, but doesn't run the floor like stoudemire, for example. i'd still bank on oden every day of the week and twice on sunday. he's gonna be a rebounding/shotblocking machine, and will present a very imposing defensive presence in the paint. like i said before, it will take some time for him to adjust to the pace of the nba game. he'll be in foul trouble for a while. but he has an incredibly high basketball IQ. he's a smart ballplayer, and he'll figure it out. and with a smart point guard who can get him the ball where he wants it, he'll be a very legitimate scoring threat in the nba as well, because he's just so physically able to dominate most players--even at the nba level. he's got everything the kings have ever dreamed of in drafting a center. durant's gonna go far, as well. he'll be a superstar no doubt, but i'm still hitching my team to a dominant big man. look at what miami's doing with the absence of dwayne wade. they've played incredibly well without him, all thanks to an aging shaq. and contrast that with how they played the first half of the season without shaq but with dwayne wade. they were mediocre at best. a dominant big man is still the standard for nba champions...

of course, this is all moot...because the kings are just not lucky enough to win the lottery, and therefore have no shot at either greg oden or kevin durant.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Couldn't agree more! And yes, I'd even take a SWING MAN if he was the best player in this year's draft at whatever slot we pick at. Brewer could be seen as a swing man, and I wouldn't be crying if we picked him. You absolutely don't pick for position in the NBA draft unless it's a coin flip and the talent of one equates to the talent of another. The time to go for position is in FA or in a trade. People talk about Diop. Heck, Diop was left for dead 4 years after he was a high #1 and an early bust. Fortunately, Petrie goes for the best player most of the time. The exception was the year he picked Jason Williams, but maybe that cemented for him to never go against his "best player available" rule from that mistake.

All excellent points, and in any other year I'd be a champion for your cause. But I think you're looking at the draft too one-dimensionally.

By no means am I advocating reaching for Chris Daniels with a high pick if he ends up being the only 7 footer left on the board. What I mean is if, following this draft, we enter next season without a huge upgrade at the 4 or 5, I will be supremely disappointed.

Now that means if one of the supposed big men locks i.e. Horford, Hibbert or Noah are available, take him and call it a draft.

If not, then dangle some of our "movable pieces" to move up in the draft, or package the pick for a talented big man already in the league.

This is the best draft in years for an invaluable NBA commodity. No team has won a championship without a force at the 4 or 5 since Jordan's Bulls (and you could make a small case for Rodman and Grant fitting that bill).

If after 3 years of doing nothing to improve the front court we miss out again during a veritable Gold Rush on the position, I will be, pardon my french, "tres pisse'"

GO GATORS!!!!!

;)
It's only his freshman year and got off to a tough start with his right hand being injured for most of the year.

His size and athleticism comes around once every 10-20 years. I think he'd be one of the best post defenders in the nba already. He's got decent moves already and is only going to get better, he has great work ethic. Can use both hands equally. He obviously can use some polish, but the dude is going to be awesome. Compare his freshman year to other center greats like olajuwon, ewing, shaq, and robinson and he's just as good if not better and with one hand. I think he's already as good as mutumbo was defensively and he has so much offensive potential. Think Patrick Ewing part two.

The chance of Durant busting is much greater than Oden. Will Durant put on the strength he needs? Will he learn to create better off the dribble? Will he develop a post game? Will he decide to play defense?

Last edited:
It's only his freshman year and got off to a tough start with his right hand being injured for most of the year.

His size and athleticism comes around once every 10-20 years. I think he'd be one of the best post defenders in the nba already. He's got decent moves already and is only going to get better, he has great work ethic. Can use both hands equally. He obviously can use some polish, but the dude is going to be awesome. Compare his freshman year to other center greats like olajuwon, ewing, shaq, and robinson and he's just as good if not better and with one hand. I think he's already as good as mutumbo was defensively and he has so much offensive potential. Think Patrick Ewing part two.

The chance of Durant busting is much greater than Oden. Will Durant put on the strength he needs? Will he learn to create better off the dribble? Will he develop a post game? Will he decide to play defense?
What is this once every ten or twenty years? Do Mourning, Yao, Shaq not exist.

What is this once every ten or twenty years? Do Mourning, Yao, Shaq not exist.
he said size and athleticism. that wouldn't be how i'd describe yao ming. alonzo mourning and shaq were, in their younger years, mildly athletic, but oden has incredible quickness to go along with supreme upper body strength. no disrespect to the aforementioned, but i wouldn't bother with those three names. only one of them is going to be relevant for the next 10+ years. bosh, howard, and stoudemire are oden's company.

he said size and athleticism. that wouldn't be how i'd describe yao ming. alonzo mourning and shaq were, in their younger years, mildly athletic, but oden has incredible quickness to go along with supreme upper body strength. no disrespect to the aforementioned, but i wouldn't bother with those three names. only one of them is going to be relevant for the next 10+ years. bosh, howard, and stoudemire are oden's company.

You clearly do not remember Zo and Shaq in college or their early years in the NBA.

People use these blanket statements like we haven't see a player like this in a long time when it definitely isn't true. You know what's true, we are getting NBA quality players in the College game for 1 year, something that hasn't been true for the most part of the last 10 years. Now their coming and now they've dominated. I think we would have had similar awesome performances by guys like Kobe, KG, etc. if they had gone to school for 1 year.

I also forgot a guy by the name of TD. Once in 10 years things is very untrue.

People use these blanket statements like we haven't see a player like this in a long time when it definitely isn't true. You know what's true, we are getting NBA quality players in the College game for 1 year, something that hasn't been true for the most part of the last 10 years. Now their coming and now they've dominated. I think we would have had similar awesome performances by guys like Kobe, KG, etc. if they had gone to school for 1 year.

I also forgot a guy by the name of TD. Once in 10 years things is very untrue.
I said "His size and athleticism comes around once every 10-20 years."

How many 7-0 280 centers can you think of that have Oden's athelticism? Shaq and....

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Tim Duncan? David Robinson? Dwight Howard? Hakeem. Ewing.
He's more atheltic than Duncan by a lot.

Probably Ewing too, although Ewing moved a lot better when he was younger. Might be the closest comparison.

Robinson and Hakeem were both more athletic and skilled, but Hakeem was much smaller, mayeb 6'10" 250, and Robinson was a finese player.

The mere fact that those are the names being thrown out there in comparson says a ton. When those guys come around, they often tear up the league. Bodies that big just aren't supposed to be able to move like that.

Duncan 7-0 250
Robinson 7-1 235
Howard 6-10 240
Olajuwon 6-10 250
Ewing 7-0 240

sorry, the only one that comes close (size wise) is duncan and he's still 30 lbs off.
Heh, for once being old is good for something.

Wilt Chamberlain, 7'1", 275 lbs.
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, 7'2", 267 lbs.