Bee: Martin wins West honor

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/351/story/133135.html

Martin wins West honor
The guard is named Player of the Week for averaging 28 points.
By Joe Davidson - Bee Staff Writer
Last Updated 6:22 am PST Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Brad Miller still is awaiting payment. He has even offered a hint.

The Kings' center reveled in the one bit of good news in an otherwise dark Monday for the franchise. The news of Ron Artest's arrest on suspicion of domestic violence came well after the team learned of Kevin Martin's Western Conference Player of the Week honor, a fitting achievement for the guard's sizzling stretch that helped thrust the Kings back into the playoff debate.

Kings players knew only that Artest missed practice to tend to "personal" matters. What they knew for certain was Martin had collected his first NBA honor. And Miller grinned when asked if he had played much of a role, specifically threading passes to Martin.

"Just feed the fire," Miller said of feeding the red-hot Martin. "But still no gift from Kev. A can of chew at least."

Martin averaged 28 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.5 assists in helping the Kings to a 3-1 record last week. He had 36 points against Charlotte and 33 against Portland. Martin even proved prophetic, writing a to-do list of goals and stashing it in his game shoes before Saturday's triumph over Portland. He wanted a 4-0 week and the Player of the Week notice. He went 3-1 instead but will take the back slaps just the same.

It is the Kings' first such honor since Mike Bibby late in the 2004-05 season.

"I'm happy with it," Martin said. "All year, you think you do something, you deserve something and don't get it. When (coach Eric Musselman) told me today, I went, 'For real?' It's a good thing to have. It's nice for the moment.

"I tried to motivate myself. We needed some victories, and I wanted to help our team play better."

Musselman said Martin was due to win the award after what the coach deemed some near misses. Martin leads the Kings in scoring (21.3), and his 10.5-points-per-game improvement from last season is the highest in the league this season, ahead of Memphis' Hakim Warrick (8.4). What's more, Martin is first in the NBA in scoring among players averaging 15 or fewer shots.

"We thought he had a chance to get some earlier," Musselman said. "Obviously, we're proud. He needed one. He's had such a great year for us. He's strung together some huge games when we needed them. Now we want him to finish strong."

The coach said that Martin continues to improve on all facets of his game, from ballhandling to the pick-and-roll.

"He's got such a bright future," Musselman said.

First-year King John Salmons said Martin performs well beyond his years.

"Maturity," the veteran said. "He handles it so well. We've got a lot of proven vets on this team. For him to come out of nowhere, to do what he's doing for us is great. A lot of young guys wouldn't be able to handle it. I have a lot of respect for him."

Martin said the Kings can ill afford to slow down now, not with the lower playoff seeds in the West up for grabs and the Kings hosting Indiana, San Antonio and Denver before a five-game trip.

"We can't afford a slide back right now," Martin said.

About the writer: The Bee's Joe Davidson can be reached at jdavidson@sacbee.com.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I could have sworn that Mike got it at least once last season when he had that stretch of 40+ games.
Mike got his in 2005-2006. Before that, the last King to receive the honor was Chris Webber, who received it in February, 2005.