Bobcats @ Kings Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Back to normal
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
On February 28th 2001 Kings beat Warriors on the road 122-101 to improve to 38-18 for the season. Kings played really well, shot 52% had 30 assists even out rebounded the Warriors by 1. Kings had 7 players in double figures. Pedja lead the Kings with 24/5/1/3, Vlade had 14/7/4, Scott had 13/10/2/1/2, DC had 13/4/9/5, JWill had 8/1/10. Bench was great. Funderburke had 18/12/1, Bobby had 16/3/2/4 and Hedo had 10/4rb.

Peja Stojakovic led seven scorers in double figures with 24 points as the Sacramento Kings rolled to a 122-101 victory over the Golden State Warriors. Lawrence Funderburke posted season highs with 18 points and 12 rebounds while Bobby Jackson added 16 for Sacramento, which played its ninth straight game without leading scorer and rebounder Chris Webber. The Kings improved to 6-3 without their All-Star forward.

"We are six out of nine without Chris Webber and what it has really done is made everyone step their game up to a higher level," Sacramento coach Rick Adelman said. "We have done a lot without Chris in the lineup. I think it is really going to help us know the level they all have to play to go far in this league."

"I am having a lot of fun with this team," Adelman said. "They are a great group of guys at practice, off the court and in games. It also helps when you are winning games."

"With my defense, the main thing is to just keep myself between my man and the basket," Christie said. "I always try to keep my hands active -- reaching for the ball and trying to touch it as much as I can."

"For them not to have their superstar, they seemed to play better without him," Jamison said. "They did an excellent job passing the ball. Vlade's probably one of the best passers, not just as a big man, but as a basketball player."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kings ran out of gas last night and paid the price by losing to the Sixers and dropping to 24-32 for the season which is 3 games out of the 8th and finals PO spot. Kings went 1-3 on the 4 games in 5 night East Coast road trip. Kings are currently 6-6 in February with 1 game to go but have lost 6/8 last games. Beating Bobcats would give Kings their first winning month since November. Over all speaking Kings have the 9th worst record in the league right now.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
March looks brutal unless You are supporting the Kings in their quest for the good draft pick - then it looks promising. It starts with LAL and POR in a back to back on the road where a split would be great but not expected. Then there is a 3 game home stand with IND, SAS and DEN which makes a 2-1 possible but highly unlikely. Then Kings go on the final East Coast trip where they will play 5 games in 7 nights against CLE, CHA, MIA, ORL and ATL.1-4 seams realistic and anything above is a bonus. Finally we finish the month with home game vs MIN, then home and away with the PHO and then a home game against the LAC which looks like 2-2. So that makes it total of 6-8 which is good enough to keep us close to the PO race but not bad enough to improve our draft position.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to back games are hard to play and winning them requires certain depth at all positions. Kings record on the 3nd game in the back to back situation is 3-11 which tells us a lot about what kind of a team we have right now. As You could have seen last night - legs were tired and the fresh legs that came in sucked. That is deadly. If You are extremely lucky, Your 2nd game in the back to back situation will include a good team that would have probably beaten You anyways. Kings don't have luck so we get to play the worst teams who the look like contenders at least for that night. Bottom line - there is no substitute for talent.
We have been too inconsistent trough the whole season to get any rhythm. Last night was a perfect example. We have Bibby coming from a great game - stinking up the joint. In month of February Bibby's scoring was 10,19,21,7,11,13,8,10,30,3,28,7. I dare You to predict the next game. Just all over the place. His assist career high is 18 BTW. He is supposed to provide stability. Our bench was 4-15 last night for 10 total points. You will not win the 4th game in 5 nights with this kind of production. We also got out rebounded by 15 in a ame where we couldn't make a shot. Frustrating.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"That's just a reflection of our season," said Kings shooting guard Kevin Martin, who had 23 points. "You come into a game expected to win and you don't win."

I thought that this was funny in a way. I don't understand how a team that is 8 games below .500 EXPECTS to win a game especially on the road where they are 8-20. You know what - why not look at the schedule and circle the games that we expect to wins and then email it to the NBA so they can give us Ws and don't waste our time. Maybe if the attitude was different - the whole situation would be different also. How bout - expect to play hard, work hard, play as a team, rebound, defend, pass etc. When that happens - good things will happen. Good teams go into a game expecting to play well and trying to play as well and as hard as possible. Bad teams expect to win games. Just great.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coach's corner is sponsored today by FEMA, enron and world com. Muss is taking the blame and as always he is wrong again. Taking blame for players not being able to rebound is noble gesture but way off base as usual. You can't teach a cat to bark. I am sure when all is said and done there will be at least 3 more power point presentation created. Apparently the kiwi flavor from the last kool aid didn't pay off. Another poor 3rd quarter swung the momentum and we were done. This loss is more a consequence of weak roster and bad individual performances. Kool aid flavor for the next game is melon.
Sixers didn't really want or need this win but we insisted. You can call it a scheduling loss but we all know that Kings are perfectly capable of losing to anyone even after a week of resting. We were out rebounded by 15 and we 2 players playing well - there was nothing to get there. Being tired is understandable but then other guys have to step up and we don't have other guys.
AWARD TIME

Joe Smith won the TDM award despite modest numbers. 7/8/3/3st is not much but that is almost everythingthat we got from our bench.

LW-VC award - much more option to chose from. I am going to give it to Bibby due to his seniority on the team and the share of responsibility that he once again could live up to.

JH-KT award went to Scorless who played 6 minutes and coldn't matter less even if he tried.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since Bobcats never won @ ARCO - it is safe to assume that this is another game that we expect to win. While Bobcats might not be any good - they do play hard every night. They are capable of doing things that we weren't like sweeping Lakers. All their player combined make less than Mike Bibby or so. We need to take them serious and we should win. They are currently on the west coast trip and we are their 2nd stop of 7 that they will have. They lost to the Clippers but they played hard.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike - will have a good game but then again .. unless, nah
Ron - looks like things are back to normal
Kevin - main reason that we will miss out on a great draft pick
Brad - do it again
-----------------------------------------------------------------
rest - mateen
----------------------------------------------------------------
Muss - will he finally take a blame for global warming or Britteny's haircut?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bobcats have some talent. Okafor might not play which is the only way to prevent him from 20/20/5bl game. GW will have a good game. My TDM favorite is Caroll with Morrison being close 2nd. When things are said and done - You have to "expect" that Kings will somehow prevail - unless they don't

Last edited:
I'm actually looking forward to this game.

For reasons mostly unjustified, I like the Bobcats...the have some really talented young guys: Okafor, Felton...Morrison & May are still developing. And Gerald Wallace continues to be an athletic freak. They unfortunately lack a strong scoring presence (maybe Morrison or Carroll down the road) and a strong rotation/veteran presence from the bench. Still a very scrappy, root-for-the-underdog kinda team. And the effort is there, unlike the current Kings roster...

Have no preference who wins tonight...though leaning towards the Bobcats for the sake of the Kings' lottery position.

"Pedja lead the Kings with 24/5/1/3, Vlade had 14/7/4, Scott had 13/10/2/1/2, DC had 13/4/9/5, JWill had 8/1/10. Bench was great. Funderburke had 18/12/1, Bobby had 16/3/2/4 and Hedo had 10/4rb."

:( THANKS for the memories guys.

"Peja Stojakovic led seven scorers in double figures"

when double figures for more than one of our players was a common thing.:D

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm actually looking forward to this game.

For reasons mostly unjustified, I like the Bobcats...the have some really talented young guys: Okafor, Felton...Morrison & May are still developing. And Gerald Wallace continues to be an athletic freak. They unfortunately lack a strong scoring presence (maybe Morrison or Carroll down the road) and a strong rotation/veteran presence from the bench. Still a very scrappy, root-for-the-underdog kinda team. And the effort is there, unlike the current Kings roster...

Have no preference who wins tonight...though leaning towards the Bobcats for the sake of the Kings' lottery position.
I like the Bobcats because they are young, athletic, and play hard. It's what I would hope the Kings could be in a couple of years. And like you, I'm not crying if the Kings lose. Interesting Sac Bee poll: over 70% wanted the Kings to get a higher draft pick than make the playoffs. Does anyone know if Okafor is going to play? He was out with a muscle, but haven't heard anything. If he's healthy, it will be tough on the Kings.

the bobcats are a wonderful example of what no veteran leadership on a team will do for you. the have been young and athletic and have played hard for the past 3 years. They are currenty 22 and 35. yes we r 24 and 32 but all in all i still think the kings r a better team than the bobcats and have a better chance of doing something big. We are a solid big man away from being back in the thick of it all. This is why i still dont think the blow up and rebuild with youth will do anything significant for us.

the bobcats are a wonderful example of what no veteran leadership on a team will do for you. the have been young and athletic and have played hard for the past 3 years. They are currenty 22 and 35. yes we r 24 and 32 but all in all i still think the kings r a better team than the bobcats and have a better chance of doing something big. We are a solid big man away from being back in the thick of it all. This is why i still dont think the blow up and rebuild with youth will do anything significant for us.
2 big men, a bench, a consistent point guard, an experienced coach, a commitment to some defense, and some chemistry. but other than that, we're right on the doorstep. :)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Dollars to doughnuts, the Bobcats will be in the playoffs next year. They'll again have a high pick that they can use or trade, and they'll have cap space, to pick up a good vet or two. Even more importantly, with Okafor and Felton, et al, they have a legitimate shot of getting to the big dance down the line. (I'd trade any two guys on the Kings right now for Okafor). Right now, we haven't even hit bottom yet. It's like two ships passing in the night -- with the Kings going down into the watery depths and the Bobcats surfacing from the deep.

"Award Time" acronyms

Regarding Piksi's "Award Time" acronyms, "TDM" and others, can some please post what they mean? Thanks.

If Okafor is back, and the 'Cats bring their A game for the road, probably won't be easy, and maybe even result in a win for Charlotte. Who have had a handful of impressive road wins this year - San Antonio, Detroit, Lakers, Denver, Minny (come back). But a bunch of "young team" road losses as well.
Kings should win this, though. As one of Okafor not being there or the Bobcats erratic road play will most likely be a big factor.

Have actually come to like this team a lot, and the long-term situation. Great nucleus and play a traditional brand of basketball. Felton is such a good, underrated young PG. He'll be a stud. Felton is like the complete opposite of Mike Bibby. :)

Regarding Piksi's "Award Time" acronyms, "TDM" and others, can some please post what they mean? Thanks.

TDM- Tony Delk Memorial award - went off for 50pts against us
LW-VC- Luke Walton Vaccum Cleaner -self explanatory
JH- KT, previously known as just JH- Jason Hart -for the player who matters least.

we really should sticky those. ;)

Bobcats are a young and athletic team. Don't think the Kings can match this unless Martin, Garcia, Price, J. Williams and Quincy Douby are on the floor at the same time.

Have actually come to like this team a lot, and the long-term situation. Great nucleus and play a traditional brand of basketball.
Yeah, they've got promise. They may not make the playoffs this year, but they are winning 7% more of their games than they did last year, while keeping costs extremely low (lowest payroll in the NBA, about 60% of Sac's).

Meanwhile, we are on course to lose 11% more games than we did last year, and have no happy ending in sight with regard to our salary cap/tax issues.

Team power rankings may be pretty meaningless, but in this context, the fact that they're 2 slots above us right now is not. They're going up and we're going down, that is the key difference.

of course i do. i would love to see justin williams get more minutes. what confuses me is that our SG/SF positions are the strongest and yet we sub all day at those 2 spots. our pf/center position is the weakest but thomas, shareef, and scoreless corliss are the only "big men" that get minutes. what about pot or williams?

of course i do. i would love to see justin williams get more minutes. what confuses me is that our SG/SF positions are the strongest and yet we sub all day at those 2 spots. our pf/center position is the weakest but thomas, shareef, and scoreless corliss are the only "big men" that get minutes. what about pot or williams?
Ummm....who is pot?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
There's a good reason why Pot isn't getting any minutes at all...He's just not good...He's slow...Horribly nonathletic...And just about terrible at everything basketball.

And you've seen Williams play...He isn't a savior...At all...He will be a 12th man who desperately clings to an NBA career at best for the foreseeable future.

There's a good reason why Pot isn't getting any minutes at all...He's just not good...He's slow...Horribly nonathletic...And just about terrible at everything basketball.

And you've seen Williams play...He isn't a savior...At all...He will be a 12th man who desperately clings to an NBA career at best for the foreseeable future.

Musselhead is that you?:D

That was what we thought about Gerald Wallace during his first hour or two on the court, too. He was athletic, but his shooting % was dreadful. Seemed like he was destined to take over Mateen's spot at the very end of the bench.

But what do you know, he just needed a little time.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Justin Williams and Gerald Walalce are two very diferrent cases. Amongst other things Gerald is as big as Justin and plays OG, while Justin is trying to make it as a big. He (Justin) is the right style of player, butnothign he's shown so far reveals him as anything more than jsut a hustling scrub at the end of somebody's bench. Nto really sure how he can turn that around either. If it ever does happen its going to take years of hard work, putting on at least another 20lbs of muscle while tryign to stay athletic...long term project at best. would lie to see him get another camp invtie next year just because we desperately need to break our cycle of collecting one dimensional offensive players like they are candy, but see little hope of him gettng a guaranteed deal from anybody based on what he's shown so far.

To clarify: I didn't mean to say that I thought that JW will soon be at GW's level, or anything like that, my point was only that rookies who've had very little playing time rarely look good.

Kevin Martin totally stunk at first too, not that I'm comparing him to Kevin, either.

Last year I figured that Corliss couldn't be any good anymore, or he would have been getting minutes, right? He may not have stylistically fit in with what Adelman was trying to do, I think that most of us were pleasantly surprised this year to see that he's still a good ballplayer. I have to wonder if we wouldn't have been better off last year had Corliss been able to give our exhausted 6.5-man rotation some rests.

I'm just no longer willing to accept as an act of faith that a guy who is getting almost no minutes is hopelessly lacking. Nor am I prepared to make prognostications about a guy's entire NBA career based on his first couple of hours of play (which weren't particularly bad overall). He may need a little effort to be put into his development, and a little playing time, but almost everyone does. I'll be surprised if he's not on somebody's roster next year, and I hope it's ours.

That would make Sean May the prime contender for the TDM Award, but, at 6'9", he may be one of the only PFs in the NBA who is small enough for our guys to handle.

Looks like a woss in the works.

Status
Not open for further replies.