Any moves before the trade deadline?

Just curious to see what others think will happen? Major trade/firing? I really hope something happens but I get this feeling that nothing will change and we'll keep losing and losing.

When's the deadline again?

I hope with our amount of expiring contracts we have we can ship off Bibby, Thomas, or others. We need a full rebuild.

The deadline's Feb. 24.

I have the feeling that there are those trying to make something happen, but can't reach any conclusions about whether those wishes will make it into reality.

I have the feeling that our management feels we can pull out of this slump not to mention how hard it would be to trade some of our vets.

Although it does seem very possible that we could trade Bibby, Miller, or SAR to a title contender and maybe even land a 1st rounder in return.

What happens if we don't do anything, keep losing, get a high pick in the draft...all just to get another combo guard. Will Petrie ever address the front court?

What happens if we don't do anything, keep losing, get a high pick in the draft...all just to get another combo guard. Will Petrie ever address the front court?
At the moment, GP is the only guy older than Kevin Martin who I'd bet will still be wanted in Arco next year.

If he drafted a combo guard, all bets would be off.

i can see a team trading for one of our top guys to make a strong playoff push. miller to washington, bibby to a team that needs a PG (miami, cleveland, houston? all off the top of my head) SAR to new jersey (san antonio?) all make sense to me. if we can get young players and good draft picks, we'd be in business...

If any trades are made before the deadline, they should only be moves for cap space or draft picks.

I feel it's necessary for the Kings to have two first round draft picks...it's such a promising draft and the team has many positions to fill. Additionally, I believe Miller needs to go, for who exactly is a good question, but he is no longer the player he once was & is not earning his salary. Would rather make room by trading away for expiring/cheaper contracts in order to maximize FA signings in the offseason.

So, in summary, no moves unless its for draft picks or cap room, all with hope that major (and beneficial) changes occur in the summer.

If any trades are made before the deadline, they should only be moves for cap space or draft picks.

I feel it's necessary for the Kings to have two first round draft picks...it's such a promising draft and the team has many positions to fill. Additionally, I believe Miller needs to go, for who exactly is a good question, but he is no longer the player he once was & is not earning his salary. Would rather make room by trading away for expiring/cheaper contracts in order to maximize FA signings in the offseason.

So, in summary, no moves unless its for draft picks or cap room, all with hope that major (and beneficial) changes occur in the summer.
I disagree that we have *many* positions to fill. Currently Our 1, 2, 3 spots are fine on the starting line and the backups. It's simply the 4 and 5. The 2 hardest positions to fill with quality.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I disagree that we have *many* positions to fill. Currently Our 1, 2, 3 spots are fine on the starting line and the backups. It's simply the 4 and 5. The 2 hardest positions to fill with quality.
Actually we still have no backup PG, and more importantly our 1,2,3 don't play well together, each coming from a wildly disparate school of basketball. Talentwise they are fine, but something really needs ot be changed up there as well.

In any case, we have far more holes then we can fioll with even 2 draft picks. Unless maybe one of those picks turned out to be a superstar who could fill many a hole. We pretty much need an entire new frontcourt -- starting C, starting PF, backup PF/C, we need a backup PG, we need a scoring 6th man, we need a shooter, we need one or more of those frontcourt guys to provide shotblockign and defense, we need a true goto guy, we need leadership, and we need a coach. Then we need to do something about the crpapy mix fo talents at the 1,2,3, oh, and find a defensive PG maybe too. Other than that, we rock.

Actually we still have no backup PG, and more importantly our 1,2,3 don't play well together, each coming from a wildly disparate school of basketball. Talentwise they are fine, but something really needs ot be changed up there as well.

In any case, we have far more holes then we can fioll with even 2 draft picks. Unless maybe one of those picks turned out to be a superstar who could fill many a hole. We pretty much need an entire new frontcourt -- starting C, starting PF, backup PF/C, we need a backup PG, we need a scoring 6th man, we need a shooter, we need one or more of those frontcourt guys to provide shotblockign and defense, we need a true goto guy, we need leadership, and we need a coach. Then we need to do something about the crpapy mix fo talents at the 1,2,3, oh, and find a defensive PG maybe too. Other than that, we rock.
Kevin Durant might be the answer. He looks to be another Tmac (hopefully without the injury) with better rebounding skill. He had another monster game tonight.

Kevin Durant might be the answer. He looks to be another Tmac (hopefully without the injury) with better rebounding skill. He had another monster game tonight.

He's TMac+KG. 6'10'' PF with the ability to drive an hit 3s, also I've seen him go in the post a bit. He's a very talented player and he'd do wonders for our franchise.

I watched the Texas game and Durant is very good, but he really is like Garnett. He isn't a presence like Oden. And even should the Kings throw every game this season they might not get Oden, Durant, or even Noah. The Kings should focus on that frontline by developing Justin Williams at the PF. For the C position I'm thinking get Sofoklis Schortsanitis although I don't know much about him. That's an athletic, quick, offensive rebounding frontline. I think they will work well with Brad Miller in the high post.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

You pick the best player available. If that's a combo, so be it. If he's the next MJ or Wade, who would complain? Then you could trade Martin for another position. The worst mistake Petrie ever made was going against his own "best player available" rule by drafting Jason Williams at 7. He buckled under the public pressure to get a point guard. He passed on Pierce and Nowitski (and Grant made excuses about Nowitski not wanting to come to the USA. Nellie apparently spoke German...)

You pick the best player available. If that's a combo, so be it. If he's the next MJ or Wade, who would complain? Then you could trade Martin for another position. The worst mistake Petrie ever made was going against his own "best player available" rule by drafting Jason Williams at 7. He buckled under the public pressure to get a point guard. He passed on Pierce and Nowitski (and Grant made excuses about Nowitski not wanting to come to the USA. Nellie apparently spoke German...)
Thank you, I don't know why it is so hard for peopple to figure this out. Thats what happens when you drafft based on needs. You don't want Kwame Brown or Kandi Man or Sam Bowie or......the list goes on and on with all the "Bigs" taken in the draft that never became anything. Yeah sometimes there is that diamond in the rough(KG, Amare, J.Oneal). But chances are they will be just another Darius Miles. Draft the best player available. Always.

Draft the best player available. Always.
The problem is that at around pick 6 it isn't so easy to tell who is the best player available.

A lot fo the time, pick 1-5 is set in stone. It quite often proves to be a little off base, but for the most part, it's a decent order.

After that, the draft is a pretty big crapshoot. Drafting based on talent isn't much of a "win-win" anymore. It's just as big a crapshoot as taking the best player you need at a position.

I have the feeling that our management feels we can pull out of this slump not to mention how hard it would be to trade some of our vets.

Although it does seem very possible that we could trade Bibby, Miller, or SAR to a title contender and maybe even land a 1st rounder in return.
I more have the feeling that management isn't sure what to do.

Let's face it, managing a professional basketball team is extremely difficult in terms of decisions you make. You put the future of your franchise in the hands of millionaires who are in their 20's. I think Petrie & co are still smarting from last year, expecting that Miller/Peja/Bibby would put out the same product they put out in 2004 - which didn't happen.

Now, they're stuck with two of the worst contracts in the NBA (Miller and Thomas), a quasi-star (Bibby) whose production has dropped off and who they're not sure what he'll do and a lack off any inside presence. Tell me, how do you adequately plan when 1, it's impossible to get rid of those two contracts, 2, while Bibby is tradeable, how do you get value for him when he has the ability to opt out at the end of the season (other teams know that which is why we're offered garbage for a good player) and 3, it's impossible to get good big men for reasonable value unless you draft them.

So what can you do? Trade your two most tradeable commodities (assuming Kevin is untouchable) in Bibby and Artest for garbage and hope to tank? Or wait until the right situation comes along? Our salary cap situation won't get much better for at least anohter 3 years after this one (when Thomas' and Miller's contracts are gone), so really, what do you do?

I have a problem trading our 2 best players for garbage...

I have a problem trading our 2 best players for garbage...
Unfortunately, our two best players ARE garbage. They play half of a basketball game, and they haven't been playing that half extremely well either.

Right now, you can trade Bibby/Miller/Artest with a player like Shareef and get a good return. Shareef's contract is bottom of the barrel for what he can deliver (if used, which we don't really do). Shareef's small contract makes most of these guys movable for something decent.

I keep harping on trading Artest/SAR to the Bulls for Brown/Deng (or Noci). The Bulls have two very young and bright SFs. Artest allows them to go to one SF. The Bulls need inside scoring, SAR can bring that. His defensive weaknesses aren't nearly as exploited on the Bulls. For us, we get a solid PF with an expiring contract (who cares, right?) and a young ace SF.

Unfortunately, our two best players ARE garbage. They play half of a basketball game, and they haven't been playing that half extremely well either.

Right now, you can trade Bibby/Miller/Artest with a player like Shareef and get a good return. Shareef's contract is bottom of the barrel for what he can deliver (if used, which we don't really do). Shareef's small contract makes most of these guys movable for something decent.

I keep harping on trading Artest/SAR to the Bulls for Brown/Deng (or Noci). The Bulls have two very young and bright SFs. Artest allows them to go to one SF. The Bulls need inside scoring, SAR can bring that. His defensive weaknesses aren't nearly as exploited on the Bulls. For us, we get a solid PF with an expiring contract (who cares, right?) and a young ace SF.

Nocioni is older than Ron. I'd do it for Deng though. Also doubt that Chicago wants to put up with Ron again those.

I still support a deal with Miami where we send Ron or Mike and get back Posey/Wright/1st or in Mike's case JWill too.

That will be a good trade for both teams... i dnno why noone is making any moves

I don't think Miller is tradeable because of his contract.

Artest and SAR for Brown/Deng isn't garbage. Deng is a very good player right now, he's young, and who knows how good he can get.

Artest for Posey/Wright/low first rounded IS garbage.

I don't think Miller is tradeable because of his contract.

Artest and SAR for Brown/Deng isn't garbage. Deng is a very good player right now, he's young, and who knows how good he can get.

Artest for Posey/Wright/low first rounded IS garbage.

Like D-Mass said Chicago won't pair Big Ben and Ron up. Besides, they wouldn't do that deal. Unless they're getting a superstar big man(Gasol/KG) they won't move Deng.

Miami's first rounder will be 17-21ish. That's not really a low first rounder.

Like D-Mass said Chicago won't pair Big Ben and Ron up. Besides, they wouldn't do that deal. Unless they're getting a superstar big man(Gasol/KG) they won't move Deng.

Miami's first rounder will be 17-21ish. That's not really a low first rounder.

Yes, I agree, Chicago wouldn't make that trade, but that was just an example.

I think 17-21 is low, and is garbage (for the most part) for what you're giving up - you're giving up a marginal star (not all-star, not all-nba) for a garbage player in posey, a potential rotation player in Wright, and a first rounder where you'll be lucky to get a rotation player.

No thanks.

Yes, I agree, Chicago wouldn't make that trade, but that was just an example.

I think 17-21 is low, and is garbage (for the most part) for what you're giving up - you're giving up a marginal star (not all-star, not all-nba) for a garbage player in posey, a potential rotation player in Wright, and a first rounder where you'll be lucky to get a rotation player.

No thanks.
Besides that you are taking on 3 players scrubs and giving them 1 near All-Star SF. With only 15 positions we cannot have a lot of fluff, each player has to do something for us or he is taking up a valuable spot on the team.

Not really sure I'd call Gasol a superstar big man. (any more than I would have called SAR a superstar)

As for not moving Deng, I'm sure they would to win now. They're on the cusp and Wallace isn't getting younger.

Why would Chicago not pair Ben and Artest? They'd be a defensive juggernaut.

Not really sure I'd call Gasol a superstar big man. (any more than I would have called SAR a superstar)

As for not moving Deng, I'm sure they would to win now. They're on the cusp and Wallace isn't getting younger.

Why would Chicago not pair Ben and Artest? They'd be a defensive juggernaut.

Well you see there was this little fight in Detroit a few years ago and they were involved. The Malace at the Palace? You might have heard of it...

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Well you see there was this little fight in Detroit a few years ago and they were involved. The Malace at the Palace? You might have heard of it...
I think everybody is too quick to assume that they actually hate each other and could never get along if on the same team. I'm pretty sure they could get over their differences but maybe those two are more hard headed than just about any other athlete that has changed sides in a rivalry and immediately let go of whatever ill will they had towards their new teammates.

Besides it was a stupid fan that really caused Artest to go off not Wallace.