Kings @ Pistons Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Even we can't lose them all.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
On January 20th 2000 Kings beat Magic 111-103 at ARCO to improve to 26-12 for the season and increase the winning streak to 8 games. Despite missing Webber Kings managed to come back from behind in the 4th quarter and win. Kings even survived 23 turnover they had that night. Pedja lead the Kings with 17/10/2/1, Vlade also had 17/12/4/1/3, Corliss had 12/3/1 and Anderson had 11/5/3/3. Bench was great - lead by Funderburke who had 15/4/1 and Corbin had 12/5/1.

Even without their best player, the red-hot Sacramento Kings had more than enough to overcome the floundering Orlando Magic.In the absence of Chris Webber, Lawrence Funderburke came off the bench to score 10 of his 15 points during a decisive fourth-quarter run as the Kings ran past the Magic for their seventh straight win, 111-103. Webber, the reigning NBA Player of the Week, missed the contest with a sore neck. He watched from the bench as Funderburke fueled an 18-3 run that turned a six-point fourth-quarter deficit into a 102-93 lead with 5:43 to play.

"Certain guys stepped up and the bench came to play tonight,"Funderburke said. "It was very difficult because we rely so heavily on Webber. But those things happen and we just have togo in and play."It's difficult because Webber has been playing so well andthere aren't a lot of minutes for me," he added. "But I'm goingto go in and do my job and be there for the team and get guys going."

"I like playing in this arena," Armstrong added. "I love this. It's real nice here, I mean the support they get from their fans in unbelievable. I'll be honest with you, I really enjoy playing down here every year."

"That's just a great win," Kings coach Rick Adelman said. "You look at players in this league and look to someone that represents professionalism, it's Ty Corbin. He hasn't played and every day he's busting his tail, keeping himself in shape. Tonight he really didn't know that he was going to play until Chris wasn't gonna play. We had a lot of guys step up tonight and we had to."
----------------------------------------------------------------
Finally, Kings found a team that was as bad as shorthanded to stop the bleading or let's better say to postpone it for a short time. Kings are 15-22 and still on the long road trip with more bad news to come. All the numbers are too depressing to mention all the time and You are all aware of them. For one night - things are fine and Kings won. Obviously with a back to back game in Detroit - don't get Your hopes up and don't for a second think thatw we will turn things around because it isn't happening. We just won one game. Scientist call this phenomena - a random error.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally an advantage for someone living on the east coast. I have things to do during the game time so I tape the game and the depending of the quality of it I can chose to watch it or not watch it or watch it in the "fast forward" mode. I can spare myself the comercials and the half time garbage and most of the opponents possesions. It gives me some insight on how Bibby must feel during the game. It took me 30 minutes to watch the Boston game. I still want my 30 minutes back but it could have been much worse - I could have watch this whole garbage.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
If You want to see Kings on a winning streak - You don't have many options. The easiest way is to create a parallel universe with twisted reality. You could technically watch the Boston game several times and pretend that we are on the winning streak. Don't tell me that it doesn't make sense especially since we here were pretending for the last couple years to a point where we are so good at it that we truly believe that it is real. Santa isn't coming this time around guys. Hell of a time to quit drinking.
I am very tired of garbage players asking for trade or pouting or complaining etc. If You are a star of a certain value - You may be able to afford it. If You are a bench warmer between a towel waver and a inactive guy - just shut up. Spare us that crap because no one is interested. If You are one of he worst players on one of the worst teams in the NBA just be grateful that You have a job. Collect the paycheck and be humble about it. Don't ask for things that can't happen. A GM isn't a magician. You can't be traded if NO ONE wants You. Here is a rule that I propose. If You ask for a trade - You should be suspended without pay until Your agent find an idiot who would take You. And one more thing - You might not want to be there but that only means that we don't want to have You either and we never wanted to have You in the first place. Deal with it.
Making sure that Thomas, Taylor Hart & co aren't playing is a right thing to do under this circumstances. Still, players like Williams, Garcia and Douby need more playing time. If they can't get it now - when will they ? It isn't reall like they can screw something up. We have to allow them to grow, make mistakes and hopefully learn from them. All this years we had excuses because we were playing for something. Now - we ran out of excuses. We aren't really playing for anything this season.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
What does it take for Kings to win a game these days? It takes playing one of the worst teams in the league which is also shorthanded by missing 6 players from their regular rotation. For 3 quarters it didn't really look like Boston was shorthanded and like Kings were interesting in winning. It was just horrible. Finally in the 4th quarter kings raised athe level from pathetic to just plain and simple suck which was enough to avoid the embarassment.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
AWARD TIME

TDM went to Al Jefferson who is just too tall and too athletic.
LW-VC award went to Kandyman just because I can:p

Pistons are next in a back to back so that our chances for an actual winning streak are slim to none. We embarased them @ ARCO and they will see it as payback and payback is a ***** and this time we will be on the receiving end. It will hurt. Webber playing for Pistons will make things interesting. Also I heard that Ron is appearently not very popular in Detroit. Does anyone know why ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike - just fading away here
Ron - good luck in detroit
Kevin - thanks for saving us from embarassment
Brad - much better
SAR - crap
--------------------------------------------------------------------
rest - mateen
----------------------------------------------------------------
Muss - We know You didn't mean it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Pistons might be the best in the east right now. They aren't playing well right now but that is why we are here for. Pistons played a lot of minutes against the Wolves and it is back to back for both but that won't matter.
Maxiell will win TDM while abusing our front line. LW-VC award will go to one of the abused big man. Kings haven't won there for a while and it doesn't look like it will change.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Note the Pistons just got done having to pull one out in 2OTs. They are better than us. Heck so are the Washington Generals. But they've been a bit shaky, are still working in Webb (who had a solid game actually), and now just finished playing a 2OT game before puddle jumping home. Throw in the Artest distraction and its not 100% impossible. Improbable, and they may just squish us like a big as a gift to their fans. But not impossible given the various little countervailing factors.

Last edited:
I think that the Kings will actually win tonight, I don't know why but I really think they will b/c Ron and Mike will play well tonight.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Please don't even start with the "real fan" stuff. Fans come in every shape, size, color, ethnicity, level of enthusiasm, degree of knowledge, etc. Just because someone happens to post something you agree with doesn't make them any more real just as someone posting something you don't agree with doesn't make them any less real. It means one thing and one thing only - our members here cover the full fan spectrum, and we're lucky because it makes for much better conversation than if everyone felt exactly the same way about everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.