2007 Draft

HOLY CRAP, a OSU player just made one of the most incredible shots I've ever seen. A guy was sailing out of bounds and he flipped it over his shoulder almost from half-court and it went in.

Isiah Rider did that once, vs us I think.
It was similar to that play, only not pure luck (he was kind of facing the basket) and much farther out -- he really was pretty close to the half court line.

Here's my take on Durant -- I don't see how he can be a power forward in the NBA. He's dominating physically in college because you don't find many 6'9" guys with his athleticism, but he has an extremely lean frame. That said, he's really quick and has a nice pull up jump shot, and I think the Tracy McGrady comparisons are apt. He's a bit clumsy driving to the basket because his handle isn't quite there, and as Rick Majerus pointed out he isn't very good at all going left. He does have some nice post moves which should come in handy if he needs to post up smaller SFs, but again, I can't really see him being able to guard strong power forwards in the NBA.

The comparison I'd make is Tracy McGrady + defense. He has nice shotblocking timing and good defensive anticipation, although obviously some of that is just because no one has his size/athleticism in college.

I'm not a scout, I just play one on the internet.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
My own brief semi-analysis: kid has a lot of talent, but has a lot to learn. Also needs to do some serious thickening out or he's a SF. Smaller than KG. Can he be a big rebounder in the NBA -- that's a major part of the KG arsenal. Can he create for others? Will be a big scorer though.

Last edited:
My own brief semi-analysis: kid has a lot of talent, but has a lot to learn. Also needs to do some serious thickening out or he's a SF. Smaller than KG. Can he be a big rebounder in the NBA -- that's a major part of the KG arsenal. Can he create for others? Will be a big scorer though.
Yeah, that's the thing -- those extra three inches for KG make a world of difference. They look similar, but stand them next to one another and the difference would be readily apparent.

I think he could be a really unique player, a strong, rebounding, scoring 3 who can slide over to the 4 depending on matchups, but unless he puts on 15-20 pounds of muscle he'd be abused inside.

Here's my take on Durant -- I don't see how he can be a power forward in the NBA. He's dominating physically in college because you don't find many 6'9" guys with his athleticism, but he has an extremely lean frame. That said, he's really quick and has a nice pull up jump shot, and I think the Tracy McGrady comparisons are apt. He's a bit clumsy driving to the basket because his handle isn't quite there, and as Rick Majerus pointed out he isn't very good at all going left. He does have some nice post moves which should come in handy if he needs to post up smaller SFs, but again, I can't really see him being able to guard strong power forwards in the NBA.
You didn't see him guard "Big Baby" Davis of LSU the other day. Made him a complete non-factor. Obviously, you don't put him up against the likes of Duncan/Howard, but that's what you have a center for, where you can put Durant on the less offensively physical big on the other team. Trust me, he'll be a 4. Why waste that combination of mobility and length?

You didn't see him guard "Big Baby" Davis of LSU the other day. Made him a complete non-factor. Obviously, you don't put him up against the likes of Duncan/Howard, but that's what you have a center for, where you can put Durant on the less offensively physical big on the other team. Trust me, he'll be a 4. Why waste that combination of mobility and length?
ok, but Big Baby Davis is a moderately athletic 6'8". As you point out, he cannot guard the likes of Duncan/Howard/KG. Heck, I question whether he could guard SAR. Maybe someday he'll gain the necessary strength, but he really looks like more of a perimeter player to me. McGrady is 6'9" and you don't see calls to stick him in the post.

And wait, are you talking about the game where Davis went for 21/10?

Last edited:
ok, but Big Baby Davis is a moderately athletic 6'8". As you point out, he cannot guard the likes of Duncan/Howard/KG. Heck, I question whether he could guard SAR. Maybe someday he'll gain the necessary strength, but he really looks like more of a perimeter player to me. McGrady is 6'9" and you don't see calls to stick him in the post.

And wait, are you talking about the game where Davis went for 21/10?

McGrady is only 6'8, not 6'9. Durant is 6'10. That's basically the same difference as Durant and KG. And, at only 18 years old, there could be room for Durant to sprout another inch or 2. And, even more importantly, there is CERTAINLY room for him to put on some muscle/strength. Garnett is not huge - but look at him compared to his rookie year. Same with T-Mac.

McGrady has certainly gotten bigger. Same with KG. Duncan, etc. After watching Durant tonight, am I sure he can be a 4? No. But if Garnett can, Durant certainly could.

Why is everyone in such a rush for him to be a 4? There is no shame in being a superstar small forward, just ask LeBron, Carmelo and McGrady. Right now the 3 is his natural position -- his perimeter skills are top notch and he wouldn't be able to guard NBA 4's. He can take advantage of 3's down low a lot better than 4's. When he's put on the weight we can talk about it, but that's all far in the future.

Entity

Hall of Famer
See, I would not be happy/confident if that was all we came out of the draft with, but big talents like those are absolutely why I'd kill (or trade) to get a 2nd lottery pick if at all possible. Get one of the sureshot (relatively) studs and then ALSO take a flyer on a guy like that, and you could have the entire core rebuild done in 1 year.
My thinking exactly we got 3 great players that could very well turn a team around in Bibby, Artest, and Miller. we have to send one of them and get an expiring and a pick. the Miller to Seattle trade seems to be the best. we get fortson Saer, or Petro and a pick we may have to send Price, Garcia, or Hart to boot.

Just Got done watching the Texas OSU game. Best college Bball game I've seen all year. I was high on Durant before the game and after watching most of the game, this kid is a top 3 pick unless he gets hurt this year. About the only thing that I don't like about his game is that he seems to force up a lot of shots, but I can't figure out if these are because he has the athletic ability to do them. The guy is 6'10 and can hit pull up 3's, and can also drive and throw it down on someone. He also rebounds well and can block shots. The kid has the talent to be a star someday in the NBA. Reminds me so much of McGrady. If the kings could somehow get a top pick, it would be hard to take anyone except maybe Oden over him.

My thinking exactly we got 3 great players that could very well turn a team around in Bibby, Artest, and Miller. we have to send one of them and get an expiring and a pick. the Miller to Seattle trade seems to be the best. we get fortson Saer, or Petro and a pick we may have to send Price, Garcia, or Hart to boot.
Do you actually think the Sonics would take Brad Miller and give up a likely Top 5 pick?

Do you actually think the Sonics would take Brad Miller and give up a likely Top 5 pick?
The Sonics are in turmoil now because of the new management and the question of whether they will stay in Seattle. (Similar to Memphis's situation) Thus, I can't see them taking on any additional major salary. They didn't bother trying to resign Rashard Lewis so I can't see why they'd want Brad Miller.

3 great players? LMAO!!!!

nbadraft.net has durant listed at 6'10 220, espn at 6'9 204, and draft express at 6'10 225. espn is probably the most recent measurements, but whether they're accurate who knows.

Just wait until the draft and then say: this summer he was only 200-205 and now he has at least 225. UT is famous for it weight lifting program and that's the main reason Durant chose this school.
His d.rebounding rating is better than Oden's so he's pretty good at rebounding.
This kid will be #2 after that guy from Ohio State.

can someone explain how they determine who get what picks? i know the 12 worse records have the lottery thing, but how does that work? also, what about the rest of the 18 teams? are those picks based on the team's record?

I'm pretty sure that's impossible. I think we should be around 10th right now. Still we need to blow it up so we can get a good pick and stuff this year.
yea, i don't like these comments about how we shouldn't do anything and just accept whatever pick we get. i still don't think this team is bad enough to get much higher than the ninth pick. we need to make sure we get a shot at the high lottery, or else what's really the point. no more of this straddling the fence.

can someone explain how they determine who get what picks? i know the 12 worse records have the lottery thing, but how does that work? also, what about the rest of the 18 teams? are those picks based on the team's record?
All draft picks, other than the top three, are determined by record. If there is a tie, there is a coin flip to determine who gets the higher pick in the first round, and then the team who loses the coin toss gets the higher pick in the second round.

All of the non-playoff teams are in a lottery for the top three picks. The team with the worst record has the best chance, and so on. Once those three picks are determined the rest of the picks are in order of record from worst to best.

And if I'm not mistaken, right now we'd have the 9th pick.

Just a size ref for Durant being to lean...

Bosh is listed at 6'10 230...

We still don't know if he is going to leave this year, he is only a freshman, he could wait a year and be the #1 pick.