Bad News! Barkley To Announce Thursday's Kings/Lakers...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Yeah, I just saw this. Help.

Are they absolutely sure they can't get Walton? :eek:

Ack...I think I have to go wash my own mouth out wiht soap. :(

Barkley did a good job semi-announcing about one quarter of the Cardinals/Bears game...

Then again, maybe he'll fall asleep with boredome being that he of course knows that only Dallas, Phoenix, San Antonio, and Detroit can win the championship, as he states about every week when asked to analyze anything. Should be entertaining.

I better come out now and say that I am a huge Barkley on TNT fan. Even bigger fan of his then when he was a player. I don't know nor do I care whether his act is just an act or he really is all messed up in the head, but at least he is entertaining. And like with John Madden, amid all the garbage and repetition, if you really listen - he will come up with a nugget or two every time he is on that the whole BSPN will not give you in a month.

I like Charles Barkley and you should too. Sure he doesn't know anything and it's clear that he doesn't watch any games (so he'll have no clue about any of the Kings and most of the Lakers) but he's always entertaining and will always give you a chuckle.

I'll never forgive Jeff Van Gundy for preventing Barkley from becoming our color man in houston (because he and Barkley apparently have a bad history) so instead we got stuck with the most boring hall of fame player imaginable, Clyde "I'll repeat whatever the PBP guy says in a more boring way with my ugly, nasal voice" Drexler.

Bricklayer

I'll never forgive Jeff Van Gundy for preventing Barkley from becoming our color man in houston (because he and Barkley apparently have a bad history) so instead we got stuck with the most boring hall of fame player imaginable, Clyde "I'll repeat whatever the PBP guy says in a more boring way with my ugly, nasal voice" Drexler.
Wanna trade for one slightly used not-quite-HOF folksy little hick? ;)

I like Charles Barkley and you should too. Sure he doesn't know anything and it's clear that he doesn't watch any games (so he'll have no clue about any of the Kings and most of the Lakers) but he's always entertaining and will always give you a chuckle.

Watch it...Clyde Drexler is my favorite player of all time.

But, I suppose that doesn't mean he's a good analyst...

Charles is the only broadcaster I've seen that goes out of his way to hate on the Kings, even when it is obvious that he hasn't watched any games at all during said season. Of course he does this to other teams too (Utah, Houston, and Cleveland.)

Apparently, that's not what the networks think. Goes to show what the real experts think about broadcasting compared to the casual fans.
No, the networks have no say in this. If it were up to FSN, we'd have Barkley or better yet another hall of famer, Calvin Murphy running the show.

Our original guy, Calvin Murphy, was awesome and unfortunately was falsely accused by one of his daughters of incest (and later found innocent in a trial) However, our owner refused to rehire him and instead focused on Barkley. Van Gundy then vetoed that so Clyde Drexler became a last second replacement along with Matt Bullard who just finished with his 2nd place finish on dream job. (although bullard is decent)

There's a lot of politics that goes into all of this and the networks are at the mercy of team ownership which almost always determines who does the game. If you're unhappy with your PBP team (and most seem to be) then it sucks to be you because nothing will change.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Apparently, that's not what the networks think. Goes to show what the real experts think about broadcasting compared to the casual fans.
Bull dooty. The only reason Barkley is on is the "buffoon factor." People turn in to watch him make a fool of himself and that means ratings and that's ALL TNT is interested in. Real experts? Balderdash.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No, the networks have no say in this. If it were up to FSN, we'd have Barkley or better yet another hall of famer, Calvin Murphy running the show.

Our original guy, Calvin Murphy, was awesome and unfortunately was falsely accused by one of his daughters of incest (and later found innocent in a trial) However, our owner refused to rehire him and instead focused on Barkley. Van Gundy then vetoed that so Clyde Drexler became a last second replacement along with Matt Bullard who just finished with his 2nd place finish on dream job. (although bullard is decent)

There's a lot of politics that goes into all of this and the networks are at the mercy of team ownership which almost always determines who does the game. If you're unhappy with your PBP team (and most seem to be) then it sucks to be you because nothing will change.
Lamar_Odom is NOT a Kings fan. He's a Laker fan. And one that frequently likes to poke sticks into the hornet's nest.

Bull dooty. The only reason Barkley is on is the "buffoon factor." People turn in to watch him make a fool of himself and that means ratings and that's ALL TNT is interested in. Real experts? Balderdash.
I'd take the buffoon factor over most of the clowns that pass of as color guys in NBA markets.

There are only two national color guys that I thought were insightful (Hubie Brown and Doug Collins) and Hubie got the axe so we're down to one. The rest are all trash so given Barkley's nonsensical buffoonery versus the garbage that passess off as color men, I'll take Barkley.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Good. You can have him. My extremely strenuous objections to having him present in Arco stand. He has made no secret of his disdain for Mike Bibby, he has continually derided the Kings, even when we were truly elite. He's coming in to the arena of the Sacramento Kings and the lack of respect he has for our team is truly disturbing. I'd rather have Bill Walton and anyone who has been around here for any amount of time is probably on the floor in a dead faint as they read that comment.

CHARLES BARKLEY GO HOME!!!!!

I'd take the buffoon factor over most of the clowns that pass of as color guys in NBA markets.

There are only two national color guys that I thought were insightful (Hubie Brown and Doug Collins) and Hubie got the axe so we're down to one. The rest are all trash so given Barkley's nonsensical buffoonery versus the garbage that passess off as color men, I'll take Barkley.

Hubie got the axe? BTW what happened to NBA on ABC on Sundays and NBA wednesday on ESPN?

Hubie got the axe? BTW what happened to NBA on ABC on Sundays and NBA wednesday on ESPN?
Hubie got demoted to backup color guy. He's insightful and the smartest color guy you'll ever see but ABC basically concluded that he's too boring and old. A true basketball fan will always want him at the game, but the casual fan is probably sleeping when Hubie's doing the game.

Bricklayer

Hubie got demoted to backup color guy. He's insightful and the smartest color guy you'll ever see but ABC basically concluded that he's too boring and old. A true basketball fan will always want him at the game, but the casual fan is probably sleeping when Hubie's doing the game.
Eh...Hubie is the most overrated old turd on the airwaves. Its damn lucky he came back as a coach to show that he still knew the game, because he's been nothing but a faker as an annoucner for as long as I've known him. With his exaggerated "he gives you the..." lists with long pauses liberally interspersed so he has time for the old wheels to creak, he specializes in being the long winded guy who consciously tries to impress. If I want a knowledgible guy, I'd take a Doug Collins anyday, or even better the knowledge/personality combo of Tolbert.

In any case, still ranks about 1000x above a moron like Chuck on the food chain obviously. If we're going to have a brain dead entertainer do basketball "analysis" let's at least go all the way and nab a Vince Vaughn, maybe Carrot Top, or maybe just somebody really hot so that we have somthing to look at at least while the inane drivel babbles forth.

Weird, I think Chuck is pretty funny. Wish I had the link, there was an ESPN2 article behind the scenes of the TNT show, I guess he tends to down some beers while watching the games on the monitors and then ramble a bit later on. I can relate.

As far as Barkley vs the Kings, I can remember him saying we were too soft to win it all, not enough defense for the playoffs, etc. I didn't like it much at the time but he was never proven wrong either. There's a general talking-head announcer mandate out there anyway, they have to spend all their time cooing over the golden boys of the league and sort of downplaying small-market teams and their small-market stars. Trust me, its a rule. David Stern does not want you talking too much about semi-stars who can't sell many jerseys in their small town, thats not efficient use of advertising time.

Anyway, no sense acting all canadian about it, I think we're too sensitive here. People bash on this team all day long then freak out because someone says the same thing on TV....uhhh, why? By all means if he said something nasty or untrue, tell us what it was because I only remember vague stuff.

Charles is great, I love his stuff.

But, he has a limited perspective on the Kings. Which I'm sure will come up in some form more than a few times during the game. Already was initiated back on the post-game show versus the Heat, most of which I disagreed with (Magic as well), or was just ridiculous. So, I'm just gonna blow any of it off.