Lakers @ Kings Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Beat LA !!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a good one from the last season in which Kings were great. On January 4th 2004 Kings beat Sonics 130-99 to improve to 23-8 for the season. Kings dominated the whole game and the score wasn’t even close to what it would have been if the garbage time was shorter than 15 minutes. 7 Kings were in double digits and Vlade was close too. Kings shot better than 58%, and 52% from “downtown” had 37 assists on 52 FGs. Soncis didn’t know what hit them but at least they didn’t suffer. Pedja lead the Kings with 24/5/5/3st, Brad had 16/11/1, DC had 14/5/8/3, Mike had 13/2/6, Vlade had 8/6/2 in 15 minutes. Bench scored 55 points lead by Bobby who had 21/5/7, FTM had 14/7/3 and Darius had 12/3.

The Sacramento Kings enjoyed their most lopsided win of the season as Peja Stojakovic scored 24 points in a 130-99 romp over the Seattle SuperSonics.
Stojakovic made six 3-pointers for the Kings, who led virtually the entire game. The Kings posted a season high in points, eclipsing the 124 they scored against the Los Angeles Clippers on October 31.Sacramento's most one-sided win this season was a 116-90 triumph over Phoenix on December 23.

"I was just real pleased with our team coming out the way they did against that team, a dangerous offensive team," Kings coach Rick Adelman said. "We were really good at both ends of the court."

Stojakovic made 6-of-10 3-pointers, one shy of a career high. Overall, he was 9-of-17 from the field. "If I was the opposing team, I would just let him shoot because he misses when he is open," Sacramento forward Darius Songaila said. "However, when there is a guy in his face, he makes the hardest shots ever. All teams can try and do to stop him is grab him."

"(Jackson) was terrific," Adelman said. "He came in the game and he was running the floor. He was all over. Just look at his line - 21 points in 32 minutes, seven assists."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Kings on another winning streak after a great performance against the Knicks despite the fact that Knicks still suck. The record is improved to still very mediocer and fairly useless 14-15 but it might be a start to something - probably a hunt for the 8th PO spot, first round KO and a 15th draft pick. Either way it is just nice to see better performances. Kings have also won the last 3 games at ARCO. All of it makes a good sign for the Thursday's game against the Lakers and right now that is the only thing that matters.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Where are they now? Another installment here talking this time about #21 Vlade Divac at the right time considering that he played for both franchises. Vlade started out on the dark side, where he played until Kobe Bryant blackmailed the NBA. Then he went to the Hornets until signing with Kings where he played 6 unforgettable seasons before going back to the dark side where he did a great job of making sure that they miss playoffs. Now he is working as GP of Real Madrid trying to get that club back to euroleage.
Anyways couple days ago I watched a Serbian movie and there was Vlade. Vlade’s role lasted 20 seconds in which he was on a fishing boat playing a role of god. He had to learn one whole sentence. Vlade has always been very talented and skilled actor. Probably learned that while living in the “silicon city” in the beginnings of his long career.
Players and people like him are hard to find. His contributions went beyond all the stats and numbers. He was a synonym for “chemistry” and good atmosphere. Always putting his team and teammates first. If there is a “no ego” in this sport – it was him. His contributions off the court are well known. In one of his interviews that I read – he said that all them money he made from commercials throughout his career went to charity. When he left Sacramento the ground started to shake and eventually the whole house crumbled. And while we might never find out how old he really was – it was just a shame that he had to get that old.
Luck is something Vlade did not have too much in his career in terms of playing. He did win a lot with his national team but he was unlucky many times too. It started in 1986 when he “traveled” to help Yugoslavia lose to UdSSR in overtime after having a 9 point lead with 56 seconds to go. As a Laker he lost his only NBA finals (even though – Lakers losing can’t really be seen as bad luck in the big picture – ever). As I King – I painfully remember “an in and out“ shot that would have meant the series against the Jazz. Then there is that Horry’s three and many missed free throws in game 7. Finally he missed both FTs in the World Championship final with 4 seconds to go when the game was tied. Luckily, he didn’t lose that one in the end. Anyways, despite all of this and because all of this - Thanks for the memories Vlade – all of them.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before every game against Lakers – there is always that discussion about the “rivalry” or lack there of, how things changed, how this is just another game bla bla bal, yada, yada, yada. I don’t care. The front of their ugly jersey still indicates that they are from the silicon city where everything but silicon is fake. They still have the same coach who always found time to say “nice” things about the Kings and the respective city. Kobe is there too. Do You really need more reasons to at least dislike them a bit? Can You really forget everything ? Don’t You have Robert Horry show up in Your dream from time to time and turn it into nightmare ? Don’t You have an urge to punch something every time when You see Bavetta, Delaney and Berndhart officiate a game ? Just hang around on Thursday night. ARCO will tell You that it isn’t just another game. Atmosphere on this site will tell You that it isn’t just another game. Hopefully, Kings players will raise to the occasion this time and give us a reason for a short but a very sweet night. Maybe Kings fans living in the silicon city can tell us whether it is just another game for them ? Their whole weekend may depend on this game in terms of being pleasant or miserable. Can it really ever be just another game ?

piksi

Hall of Famer
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kings team seams to have stabilized a bit in the last couple of weeks. Obviously there are some obvious reasons for it like an easy schedule against crapy teams, lot's of home games, improved play from Mike Bibby, better bench production and probably some more that I can't think of. It is good to see regardless. The question is - how permanent will it be ? Will it be like last season where we turned it on and made a run or will it change when we go on the road and start playing winning teams. Hard to tell since there are lots of unknowns parameters. Health being the first and then composure, consistancy, effort, intensity, bench production, possible trades etc...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
How would You define a mediocre team ? How about a record around .500, solid at home, horrible on the road, beating bad teams, losing to good teams with occasional "slip up" both ways. Let's add lack of talent and depth, lack of chemistry, inconsistancy, trade rumors, poor coaching etc...
Basically, too good for the lottery and too bad for contention. No man's land. The punighment for being mediocre is harsh or even brutal. You make the POs, You get killed in the first round, You get 15th pick in the draft and this circle repeates over and over again and years pass by and You are not going anywhere. We might be stuck in there.
So Ron felt bored so he decided to play a game for a change or was it a case where his "boys" in NY were watching so he had to show up. I don't know. Let's put aside the fact that he had a career game and that we needed it in a bad way because he is capable of playing this way and should do it more often. What are we to think about it ? One swallow does not make a spring. So what do we have here. A player who picks and choses games in which he wil play hard ? I think that at this point we can rule out injuries because he looked just fine to me. Which Ron will show up against the Lakers and then for the game after that and so on ? Is he only going to try hard against teams that he would like to be traded to ? We all know that he is "mental" but how far can this go ? Again - I don't like being teased especiall with Lakers coming up.
The fact that we have beaten Knicks is not a big deal. Playing well most of the game is however encouraging. Looking at the stats - we shot better than Knicks and it was enough because Knicks did the rest by turning the ball over and missing a free throw, after free throw, after free throw. You add Ron's career game and that will get You past the deficiencies in the rebounding and any kind of inside presence. Lack of discipline and composure is concerning.
AWARD TIME

TDM - it was close. On one hand we had David Lee had a Joel-like performance but on the other hand Malik Rose had season highs in scoring and rebounding. At the end - Lee was just too impressive
LW-VC award went to C Frye who did not have a good night and that was a good thing.
JHA award went to Brad Miller who needs to shut up and play. He let his team down tonight and luckily it didn't backfire. And also it was the 2nd straight game in which he couldn't grab a board. Come on Brad!
Lakers are next and at least the motivation shouldn't be an issue. ARCO will help the players keep the effort and energy high. We have a chance to get back to 0.500. Phil and Kobe will be there so treat them "nicely" Lakers are playing well. They have some injuries but for us it would be a good win to beat any team with such record. Beating Lakers is priceless any time. If we shoot well like we did today we should be fine. We will have problems inside. Maybe KT gets a chance to play Walton again. One thing is clear about Thursday night. It will either be great or it will suck big time. No middleground here.
To add insult to injury - the game will be shown live in TNT. So what You have to expect is the first game to go to tripple overtime, You will hear lot of sucking up to the Lakers, some Kobe worshiping, no credit but lots of criticism for the Kings. You will get a chance to hear over and over again how much we suck and how great the Lakers are. That is OK because we will have the last laugh. Still we won't get any credit but we won't really care - will we ?
Mike - time for the "crab dance"
Ron - Lakers are Knicks of the West
Brad - shut up and get a rebound !
SAR - throw it down SAR - just throw it down:D
Kevin - just make Kobe work and color Your hair in fuchsia so Muss doesn't forget You on the bench.
KT - do it again KT
Salmons - make him work
Douby - keep it up
Garcia - also
Corliss - time to unleash the "big nasty" Lakers have no player that can guard him. I just hope that he gets minutes.
rest - mateen
Muss - he won't outcoach Phil but it might be enough if he doesn't screw it up
Lakers have some injury problems. Odom, Mhim and Brown won't "bother" us this time. Kobe will het his 40,50,60 or so but if we can make him work it will be fine. I expect Walton to win LW-VC award. He should know how to do it. TDM award will go to Bynum unless Mo Evans goes "Matt Barnes" on us. Radmanovic has sucked all season and that is scary. Lakers have plenty crapy player who can easily have a career night but when it is all said and done - Kings win (like I would eve predict otherwise)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Beat LA !!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Where are they now? Another installment here talking this time about #21 Vlade Divac at the right time considering that he played for both franchises. Vlade started out on the dark side, where he played until Kobe Bryant blackmailed the NBA. Then he went to the Hornets until signing with Kings where he played 6 unforgettable seasons before going back to the dark side where he did a great job of making sure that they miss playoffs. Now he is working as GP of Real Madrid trying to get that club back to euroleage.
Anyways couple days ago I watched a Serbian movie and there was Vlade. Vlade’s role lasted 20 seconds in which he was on a fishing boat playing a role of god. He had to learn one whole sentence. Vlade has always been very talented and skilled actor. Probably learned that while living in the “silicon city” in the beginnings of his long career.
Players and people like him are hard to find. His contributions went beyond all the stats and numbers. He was a synonym for “chemistry” and good atmosphere. Always putting his team and teammates first. If there is a “no ego” in this sport – it was him. His contributions off the court are well known. In one of his interviews that I read – he said that all them money he made from commercials throughout his career went to charity. When he left Sacramento the ground started to shake and eventually the whole house crumbled. And while we might never find out how old he really was – it was just a shame that he had to get that old.
Luck is something Vlade did not have too much in his career in terms of playing. He did win a lot with his national team but he was unlucky many times too. It started in 1986 when he “traveled” to help Yugoslavia lose to UdSSR in overtime after having a 9 point lead with 56 seconds to go. As a Laker he lost his only NBA finals (even though – Lakers losing can’t really be seen as bad luck in the big picture – ever). As I King – I painfully remember “an in and out“ shot that would have meant the series against the Jazz. Then there is that Horry’s three and many missed free throws in game 7. Finally he missed both FTs in the World Championship final with 4 seconds to go when the game was tied. Luckily, he didn’t lose that one in the end. Anyways, despite all of this and because all of this - Thanks for the memories Vlade – all of them.
Very nicely put, piksi. I miss Vlade...

:(

Barkley alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:

Barkley To Announce Thursday's Kings/Lakers Game3rd January, 2007 - 7:26 pmESPN -
Steve Kerr will not be able to broadcast Thursday's game between the Lakers and Kings due to back spasms, so Charles Barkley will provide the color commentary in his place.

He will partner with Marv Albert.

Barkley will be a courtside analyst for the first time in nearly five years and only the fourth time since he began working with the network

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...kley_to_announce_thursdays_kings/lakers_game/

piksi

Hall of Famer
Barkley alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:

Barkley To Announce Thursday's Kings/Lakers Game3rd January, 2007 - 7:26 pmESPN -
Steve Kerr will not be able to broadcast Thursday's game between the Lakers and Kings due to back spasms, so Charles Barkley will provide the color commentary in his place.

He will partner with Marv Albert.

Barkley will be a courtside analyst for the first time in nearly five years and only the fourth time since he began working with the network

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...kley_to_announce_thursdays_kings/lakers_game/
garbage

the game will be painful but the victory will be sweater

Lakers game RADIO ONLY...

...WTF? RADIO ONLY? A highly-visual game with a high-level of interest in it nationwide...yet it's freak'n-A RADIO ONLY?

THAT'S STUPID!

Why? Well, for starters, I'm nearly deaf, so anything on the bloody radio just won't cut it for me, as well as many thousands of others who'd really like to watch the Laker/King game. This BS of putting on a RADIO-ONLY game that is otherwise highly visual is BS!

There are thousands of people who can't use the radio like I can't. Why serve a small percentage of the market (certainly a smaller total number of people would tune into the radio broadcast, as opposed to a tv broadcast, right?) at the expense of the larger share of a viewership market? It does not make sense in ANY freak'n business/marketing/financial sense.

I can see the advantage of the radio station that is hosting the game, but this is at the expense of many and I'm pissed. If there's any game that I'd like to see the Kings win, it's a game with the Dark Side, sheesh!

Sheesh, I'll just go outside and jump into the little 40-degree-water creek and cool my mad arse off...

well at least we won't have to put up with barfley's BS in the postgame show :D

hopefully he won't be too bad. marv can help neutralize him slightly

...WTF? RADIO ONLY? A highly-visual game with a high-level of interest in it nationwide...yet it's freak'n-A RADIO ONLY?

THAT'S STUPID!

Why? Well, for starters, I'm nearly deaf, so anything on the bloody radio just won't cut it for me, as well as many thousands of others who'd really like to watch the Laker/King game. This BS of putting on a RADIO-ONLY game that is otherwise highly visual is BS!

There are thousands of people who can't use the radio like I can't. Why serve a small percentage of the market (certainly a smaller total number of people would tune into the radio broadcast, as opposed to a tv broadcast, right?) at the expense of the larger share of a viewership market? It does not make sense in ANY freak'n business/marketing/financial sense.

I can see the advantage of the radio station that is hosting the game, but this is at the expense of many and I'm pissed. If there's any game that I'd like to see the Kings win, it's a game with the Dark Side, sheesh!

Sheesh, I'll just go outside and jump into the little 40-degree-water creek and cool my mad arse off...

It's on TNT...

Oh, my BAD

I had to go off on a public anti-radio rant only to find out that it was I who was the dumbazz, sheesh. Thanks for the correction and I'm glad that the Laker/King game IS on tv afterall!

<putting on a dunce hat for the evening and looking for a cave...>

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I had to go off on a public anti-radio rant only to find out that it was I who was the dumbazz, sheesh. Thanks for the correction and I'm glad that the Laker/King game IS on tv afterall!

<putting on a dunce hat for the evening and looking for a cave...>
Congratulations, Mozart. I hereby award you the coveted "Emily Latilla Award." I've won it at least a dozen times, so it's nice to be able to finally pass it on to someone else.

It started in 1986 when he “traveled” to help Yugoslavia lose to UdSSR in overtime...
was that a typo or what?
what was that supposed to mean?

Maybe Kings fans living in the silicon city can tell us whether it is just another game for them ? Their whole weekend may depend on this game in terms of being pleasant or miserable. Can it really ever be just another game ?
Not only do I live in L.A, but also in Hollywood...how bad can it get?
Well.....it will ruin my January if they lose...that bad for a regular season game...
Back during the daysI was forced to seeing laker flags on 3/4 of the cars in L.A. Friends from school....the entire school outnumbered the Kings fans a million to 2 (my friend being the other Kings fans)
But, it all changes when our Kings win....its like sticking a dagger in your enemy's heart and twisting it numerous times....even if they are your friends, it feels so good when they win...

Last edited:
^^Thats what I want to know. He is being signed to a 10-day contract on Friday, so doesnt that mean he isnt technically signed yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.