Grades v. Knicks 01/02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Artest ( A+ ) -- completely ridiculous game. At one point he was 15-19 from the field. The ONLY reason we won this one against a crap team. Was clearly feeling it from the very beginning, and wrapped up an excellent first half offensively which he spent attacking the rim and taking open threes. Spent a lot of time in the first half at the 4, defended it well, but probably part of the reason we were getting squished on the glass. Never missed a beat with the offense after half and more or less singelehandedly held off numerous Knicks surges by just knocking down anythinh and everything that left his hand. Boarded well after half too (got 8). Oh, and threw in 5 steals. Did I mention the completely ridiculous part? In any case, just a little reminder from Ron Ron that he is the greatest player In Kingsland. Or can be. Or could be. If he was sane. Which he's not. Anyway...no brainer A+.
Thomas ( B ) -- solid roleplaying game getting most of what he got because of the creative abilities of others. Too small to slow down the tall NY frontline without a lot of doubling and sagging from perimeter guys, but until a late arrival by Ron, was the only King even pretending to rebound in there. Got yanked down the stretch in one of those totally mysterious Muss brain farts that sometimes work out -- Corliss was inserted, scored some hoops, and so Kenny sat the rest of the way. Said something to Muss on the way to the bench it looked like. And you know what? In this case he may have been justified.
Miller ( C- ) -- fast start offensively, but on the other end got worked over by everybody he tried to guard in the post. Hit a shot to start the second half, and then had a massive attack of the stupids -- back came the Brad bitter beer face of years past, and after he thought he was fouled on a drive, he barked at the ref, got a T, refused to shutup, and so got himself tossed right out of the game maybe 3 minutes into the second half. Thx Brad. Left the game with 0 rebounds again too -- meaning he may last have had a rebound sometime before Christmas. Hard to impossible to grade, but did not want to wuss out with the Inc.
Martin ( B- ) -- strong and varied first half, working mostly off of cuts, and hitting several fo those running one handers. But started off the 2nd half not only being quiet offensively, but seeing Crawford light him up on the other end. That led to a quick insertion for Salmons and...well, that was it. Our leading scorer sat from the 6:00 mark fo the third right through the end of the game. Another thing that's tough to grade. Offense looked good for a half. Defenseively got schooled. Disappeared, and then was benched very early. Crawford quieted down after Salmons arrived too, although any of my fellow NY market types cna tell you you never know when he's going to heat up or cool off, so its nto a 100% correlation to the defense. In any case, kind of bailing here on the grade too.
Bibby ( B ) -- wavered but finally went with the solid B here because ike made a number of strong passes for assists tonight. Solid offensive first half capped by a lucky buzzer beating three. Some nice assists along the way too. Was very quiet for a long stretch of the second half, but then finally stepped up to hit a three in the 4th as Ron's hotness seemed to rub off on his teammates. Unfortunately then came right down next possession and forced a bad three in hero mode. In fact did that several times tongiht and it bothered me. Just dribbling over half court and chucking some ugly crap. May have been an overactive imagination but I kept on getting the impression he might have been tryign to compete with Ron. Maybe. Maybe not. But bothered me enoguh not to be terribly enthusiastic about this B.
Salmons ( C+ ) -- very tough grade -- a gentleman's "D" mitigated by a speculative defensive effect. Very quiet first half again, although did make one nice drive and dish, and a couple of defensive plays. Shaky decisionmaking too. But then after half suddenly got called upon to replace Kevin (as it turned out permanently) to try to slow down Jamaal Crawford, who was just lighting us up. And he did. Or at least Jamaal cooled. As one of the streakiest players in the NBA you can never really be sure what gets Jamaal going or stopping -- might also just have been that guy in the 7th rown eating his nachos with his left hand rather than right. Nonetheless, I'm giving all kinds of benefit of the doubt here to a guy who contributed a grand total of 2pts 3rebs 1ast and 3TOs in 29min, and giving him a grade on the theoretical defensive effect alone.
Reef ( C ) -- in the first half much like Brad got run over by Curry, and watched Lee grab 10 first half rebounds. Then unexpectedly got called upon in the early third as Brad's little hampster finally entirely jumped the wheel, and for the rest of the game it was Reef as a starting center trying to check big Eddie Curry. And actually, although he had all kinds of help (as in basically the whole team collapsing) it wasn't the slaughter it could have been if the Knicks for instance had a collective brain between them. Of course Reef did little or nothing himself, chipping in a few points (including one big power dunk on Curry in the late third) but almost no boardwork (2) and standing flatfooted as we got pummeled inside for most of the night..
Douby ( C+ ) -- solid 2nd quarter minutes. Hit a three. But nothing after half other than getting physically overpowered by Marbury on one play.
Garcia ( C- ) -- out of control 2nd quarter leading to nothing. So much for the heroes of the last game.
Williamson ( B- ) -- in the first half, brought in as a "big" to try to body up with Eddie Curry, but just giving up too much size. In the second half got mysteriously inserted -- ok, probably stupidly inserted -- by our wunderkind coach just out of the blue down the stretch of the game. Hadn't played in 30 minutes, was ice cold, the game was tight, he had looked bad in the first half, and he replaced our only rebounder on the night. And yet it worked, with Corliss quickly scoring a series of easy hoops off of good passes down the stretch.

Muss ( ) --

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
"I'm predicting a high grade for Artest and a DQ for Brad because of his lunacy in yelling at the official" placeholder post...

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Brad gets a BH for BONE HEAD! I am about to start an unofficial BH Award for each game for the Kings player that is just too dumb for his own good.

F- for Walt Fraizer. Almost as bad as Bill Walton. I became grateful for Jerry Reynolds tonight. As an announcer that is hard to do.

Brad gets a BH for BONE HEAD! I am about to start an unofficial BH Award for each game for the Kings player that is just too dumb for his own good.
or a C.N.C-E: Could Not Continue-Ejection
IAHCFAETAKRANBICKTSBBIATOSTEEFS.

I Am Hereby Calling For An End To All Kings Related Acronyms, Not Because I Can't Keep Them Straight, But Because I'm Tired Of Seeing Them Explained Every Five Seconds.

K-mart was my SG tonight so it kinda sucked that he didn't pick up any stats over the last 1.5 quarters, but I gotta say it was a good coaching call. If a lineup is in there that wins the game, regardless of who the five names are, keep it out there until the clock reads 0:00. I think that has helped the Kings be a strong 4th quarter team this season.

IAHCFAETAKRANBICKTSBBIATOSTEEFS.

I Am Hereby Calling For An End To All Kings Related Acronyms, Not Because I Can't Keep Them Straight, But Because I'm Tired Of Seeing Them Explained Every Five Seconds.
O RLY? (Oh, really?) LOL! (laugh out loud) BTW (by the way), IMO (in my opinion) these acronyms make me LMAO (laugh my *** off).

:D

I"m extremely encouraged that both Bibby AND Artest played well in one game - when both of these guys are on we win a whole lot - after all, they are our best two players.

Still baffled by Muss' decision to sit Kevin the last 18 minutes - Kevin has earned the right to play through temporary spells.....

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Keep in mind if Artest hadn't played out of his mind we would have lost - to the New York Knicks.

Keep in mind if Artest hadn't played out of his mind we would have lost - to the New York Knicks.
I agree, don't mistake my genuine excitement over having both of our stars playing well for genuine excitement for the victory....although I really do think the knicks played well tonight and that it was a good victory.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh, me, too, cfechter. Check my PBP. I was very excited with the game and the win. I just don't want people to get too up in the clouds because it's so messy when they all come crashing back down again.

;)

VF, I partially agree, since we would not want to rely on this every night. Still, we never say we would have won if ____ (choose streaky player on another team) had not played out of his mind. We also don't know if another player would have stepped up if Artest had not, you do feed the hot hand. Again, not saying your comment is out of line, but it does seem a tad unfair to say "we suck" if Eddie Curry or Jared Jefferies had gone off tonight, but then say we got lucky cause Ron got hot when K-mart, Salmons, etc. went cold. Keep in mind that Jamal Crawford scored 28 when his average this year is 16, but most people blame our D.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
VF, I partially agree, since we would not want to rely on this every night. Still, we never say we would have won if ____ (choose streaky player on another team) had not played out of his mind. We also don't know if another player would have stepped up if Artest had not, you do feed the hot hand. Again, not saying your comment is out of line, but it does seem a tad unfair to say "we suck" if Eddie Curry or Jared Jefferies had gone off tonight, but then say we got lucky cause Ron got hot when K-mart, Salmons, etc. went cold. Keep in mind that Jamal Crawford scored 28 when his average this year is 16, but most people blame our D.
I don't say we suck unless the team... well... sucks. As long as there's an effort put forth on the court by the Kings you will NEVER see me demean them. EVER. But, if they come out acting like the robo-Kings and just stand there and let the other team put up career numbers, then I'm not very diplomatic about it.

Ron was covered most of the night by Jeffries. That alone could probably account for about 20 of the points.

Yes, it was a great performance; a career high. Those are always impressive. But it was against the Knicks.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I don't say we suck unless the team... well... sucks. As long as there's an effort put forth on the court by the Kings you will NEVER see me demean them. EVER. But, if they come out acting like the robo-Kings and just stand there and let the other team put up career numbers, then I'm not very diplomatic about it.

Ron was covered most of the night by Jeffries. That alone could probably account for about 20 of the points.

Yes, it was a great performance; a career high. Those are always impressive. But it was against the Knicks.
Jared Jeffries is actually considered to be one of the better defenders in the league.

I fully agree with that. But my point is that the Kings exploited a good matchup versus the Knicks. If a team exploits a good matchup against us than posters (not necessarily you) say that we suck and Muss blew it. If we exploit a good matchup than the concensus seems to be that "we got lucky" and that the certain player blew up. Long story short - the Knicks suck, Muss made a good call, Artest played well, and we won a game we should have. Not a huge credit to anyone since the Knicks suck, but we did exploit a good matchup and the coach/player deserve credit for that, let's not say we got lucky.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I fully agree with that. But my point is that the Kings exploited a good matchup versus the Knicks. If a team exploits a good matchup against us than posters (not necessarily you) say that we suck and Muss blew it. If we exploit a good matchup than the concensus seems to be that "we got lucky" and that the certain player blew up. Long story short - the Knicks suck, Muss made a good call, Artest played well, and we won a game we should have. Not a huge credit to anyone since the Knicks suck, but we did exploit a good matchup and the coach/player deserve credit for that, let's not say we got lucky.
Agreed.

One other factor? The Artest playing for the folks back in NY...

All in all, it's a win and we're getting Justin Williams back. Pretty nice way to start the year, IMHO.

:)

Agreed.

One other factor? The Artest playing for the folks back in NY...

All in all, it's a win and we're getting Justin Williams back. Pretty nice way to start the year, IMHO.

:)
That's great news, I love JW. I'm worried that too many fans will see him as a savior that he isn't, but I like him on the roster. I think that Muss will eventually grow to like him after a couple of months. Either way, this is only a positive!

My thoughts:

Hope Artest wasn't only playing like that to impress Thomas. Given Petrie's history of getting guys that burn us, an Artest for Lee trade is surely in the works.

Shareef is a joke on the boards. No wonder we were getting killed out there, with a 6'9 C and a 67 PF.

Liked Salmons D, but he had some of the worst turnovers I'd seen from him all year.

OK, so we beat the Knicks. Lots to be happy about there. And cheers to Artest for a very impressive night of basketball. And welcome back, Justin.

But this game also gives me a lot to be troubled about. We are not getting it done on the boards, period. Brad has been in some kind of rebounding funk, and the pressure finally got to his medulla oblongata tonight. Offensively he's been better recently, but opposing big men must love facing the Kings when the best we can do in defending them is to have Brad stand there flat-footed with arms straight up, as if saying 'take the money... just don't shoot me!'

#1 You have absolutely no way of knowing that.

#2 If D Wade had not played out of his mind the Heat would not have won the title, i.e. what's your point?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
#1 You have absolutely no way of knowing that.
Oh, its a pretty safe speculation. Ron averages 16, pours in 39 at a ridiculous percentage. Meanwhile we let the Knicks pump in 100 against us and the ONLY guy doing anything after half to stop it was Ron. The 13-21 Knicks BTW.

This was not a terribly impressive victory. It was an impressive individual performance from a guy who may never give one to you like that again. And Dwayne Wade is a inapt comparison because Dwayne Wade does this sort of thing routinely. Its more like beating the Knicks at home by 10 with Wade going for 55.

Making excuses for losing is one thing. This whole trend of making excuses for winning has gotten very old, very quickly IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.