Grant Napear Must Go

Grant really isn't worth my time in signing a petition. Besides, he doesn't really bother me. He's got a job to do (well, two really) and he does them pretty well. I don't always agree with him and sometimes he drives me nuts, but that's what he is paid to do. There are plenty of other things I'd rather concern myself with in regards to the Kings.

I don't really mind Grant that much, he's annoying on the radio show sometimes but decent enough for games, for a small town team guy at least.

Still, I am totally into this fresh new approach! Its way more fun firing Grant than second-guessing free agents we're stuck with now anyway. Without the negativity that is Napear dragging this team down I think we'd be able to regroup in time for a second-half playoff run. None of his ideas are working anyway!

where do these open ended suggestions come from?

isn't it customary to say something like: "Grant is due for replacement because...I think X would do a better job"? Instead, we get "blow Grant out". That makes little sense to me. Grant is fine with me, as I've said before, and I believe he could practice his craft anywhere. Ya gotta like a guy who has the guts to state his views and defend them on the spot, as opposed to the pot-shot nature of this thread.;)

I definitely think his radio show should go. There's no other talk show host who sounds more bored taking calls then Grant. For every other call, it seems he' rather be doing something else than listening to what the caller is saying. Replace him with more Frank Red(is he still on?) and the dungeon.

But on the broadcasting, I'd say he's pretty good and I enjoy his pBp. BYAHHHHH!!!

I'd rather see the rise guys take a hike...

Replace them with those Saturday Guys...Krueg and Towny! FAR preferable in my view.

See how that works? If ya knock someone down, offer an alternative.:cool:

What did he say now? Yes, he's pretty horrible as a talk show host, but he sucks up to the company and tows the company line enough to keep his job. Plus, all you have to do to get ratings in Sacramento is be able to pronounce the Kings players names.

So what's with the "Fire Grant" sentiment all of a sudden? I mean, I have two other favorite teams (Detroit Lions, Cincinnati Reds) that are both perenial losers now, but I've never heard of upset with losses spreading all the way to the commentators! Who's next? Am I going to log on and see a "FIRE SLAMSON!!! His flips are outdated and he doesn't play good enough free throw defense!" thread? We're losing guys, but come on maintain some composure. Grant says some things that are well... stupid. But I think he does a pretty good job as far as commentating is concerned. Haven't listened to his show too much. The frustration is tough to deal with I know. But it's going to a point where I'm going to start seeing "I'm quitting basketball" threads...

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
All of a sudden? Sorry, but I know a number of people who have been down on Grant for quite a while. At least dating back to his tirades against Bobby Jackson...

I don't get how anyone can like Grant Napear unless your over 75 and you think he's witty, and full of spunk....he doesn't know anything, he changes his mind from sentence to sentence, he's a "yes" man and he's the redheaded step child no one loves... now i'm in no way saying that I could do better, because i'm an idiot and can't, but Grant Napear is the type of commentator that belongs in the mideast announcing high school games. He's too corny and along with HPL, I think he makes Sacramento look bad. I mainly started this thread to ease my mind about how the teams been playing and the fallout of recent trade talks, so don't take it too seriously....

Everyone knows the teams foundation starts with the commentators, its common sense.

Grant's fine doing the TV play-by play, but on his radio show, he's uber-annoying and sometimes he has his head so far up the Maloofs' [rhymes with glass] I can't tell where his opinion starts and Joe & Gavin's begins.

does anyone here have league pass? ive heard some of the worst play by play guys ever from other teams. grant by far is the best with the exception of mike breen who does it for the knicks on his spare time

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
does anyone here have league pass? ive heard some of the worst play by play guys ever from other teams. grant by far is the best with the exception of mike breen who does it for the knicks on his spare time
I've had League Pass for the past four years; I used to watch 2-3 games every night regularly; I still watch 2-3 when I don't have to work. I've heard every announce team for every team in the league, and I feel like I can say without bias that Napear blows. He's not the "absolute worst," but he still blows.

Napear "by far the best" at play-by-play? He's not even the best play-by-play man in Sacramento.

Ryan

I like turtles
Oh come on, you can't say that. While there are pleny of poor play-by-play guys out there (Atlanta and Memphis) there are also many who are much better than Grant. San Antionio, Chicago and Bostin have GREAT play-by-play commentary.

Our team is in dire straits; and we're talking about ridding our play-by-play commentator. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Do we need to start a Grant Napear apologists group?

On the other hand, maybe people could change their scapegoat from K9 to Grant.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Well, Grant is known for smashing the "morons" and "idiots" who call themselves fans. So far, in the 15 years I've listened to him he is right on much of the time. Sure, he misses one now and then. But I've never heard him go down on a smart fan who seemed to know what they were talking about. He is a New Yorker first and foremost so his style is a bit tougher on the milder Sac Town crowd.

The fact he has riled a bunch, the loud minority I suspect, speaks to his job: getting fans talking and listening to his radio station. The awards KHTK have won are due, I suspect, in large part to Grant. :cool: