Grizzlies @ Kings Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reset the offense.

We're doing the one-on-one.

Get it back in the post.

I love when Bibby hits his shots, but it changes the way we play as a team. This is the Mike Bibby I dislike at PG.
For maybe a minute or two you could dislike Bibby the point guard? But how can you knock the guy at all tonight, really? Bibby tonight:

32 pts; 50% FG%; 60% 3PT%; 100% FT%; 10 Assists; 2 steals; 10:3 TO ratio

That's all-star.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I had a feeling this would come down to the wire. We were due for a let down especially (historically speaking) against a poor team with no big names. These are usually the games we don't get up for. It appears our defense was the first to go. Although they Griz were hitting contested shots like nobody's business. Just a hot shooting night for them can't knock the defense to much.

For maybe a minute or two you could dislike Bibby the point guard? But how can you knock the guy at all tonight, really? Bibby tonight:

That's all-star.
I agree. The numbers as a whole were AMAZING.

He played a stellar first half of basketball, simply smart basketball.

Late in the 3rd quarter and the 4th Mike Bibby was selfish. He hit 50% of his shots, but they aren't good shots. He stagnates the offense when he does that. It's being a black hole. He penetrates, runs around and looks for his own shot and they aren't good looks. There were 3 plays in a row where no one but Bibby even touched the ball.

He took covered jumper after covered jumper - early in the shotclock. While he was doing this, we blew an 8 point lead. We call timeout, slow it down a little (still ran perimeter) and we retake the lead. It's no fluke that this happened.

I know he hit those shots. I know he's capable of hitting those shots. But, those shots can be gotten at any point and should not be the focus of an offensive set. Move the ball, swing it, get it inside ... if nothing else ... take that dumb jumper.

Bibby helped win this game, but he almost cost us this game.

Entity

Hall of Famer

Late in the 3rd quarter and the 4th Mike Bibby was selfish. He hit 50% of his shots, but they aren't good shots. He stagnates the offense when he does that. It's being a black hole. He penetrates, runs around and looks for his own shot and they aren't good looks. There were 3 plays in a row where no one but Bibby even touched the ball.

He took covered jumper after covered jumper - early in the shotclock. While he was doing this, we blew an 8 point lead. We call timeout, slow it down a little (still ran perimeter) and we retake the lead. It's no fluke that this happened.

I know he hit those shots. I know he's capable of hitting those shots. But, those shots can be gotten at any point and should not be the focus of an offensive set. Move the ball, swing it, get it inside ... if nothing else ... take that dumb jumper.

strange calling him selfish with 10 assist and 2 more ppl with over 20 pts and 1 with 19. 10 assist is way over his career average.

I was going to list all the reasons why I think you are VERY wrong, but then I remembered that you seem to be as hard headed as I am. So, I will simply say that we will CONTINUE to disagree.

Entity

Hall of Famer
to add to that without Bibby taking over Martin wouldn't have been as wide open as he was when we needed him to be at the end. When Bibby drove he sucked the entire defense in.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Oh good grief. You're not serious, are you?

I did the PBP for the entire game and I would not ever think of making a comment like the last one you made in this post. And I agree with the philosophy of chelle. Arguing with you is like arguing with the fog...

Have a nice evening.

strange calling him selfish with 10 assist and 2 more ppl with over 20 pts and 1 with 19. 10 assist is way over his career average.
I said he played a STELLAR first half.

Not just that, but getting assists can be a very misleading stat when you dominate the basketball. It's not the barometer for how selfish or unselfish you played.

Kobe/Iverson both get decent assists, but they are terribly uninspiring when it comes to team basketball.

When Bibby becomes one-dimensional, he's not a good player. It stagnates the team.

Bibby had 9 assists going into the late 3rd quarter (5 minutes left, 10 point lead), where he became one-dimensional. It's no strange occurance that we started falling apart right about then.

Hitting shots within the offense is a good thing, but he was forcing it and it was hurting us in the 4th. We don't win the game without Bibby, no question ... but it's just I don't want to see last year's offense show back up.

That's all-star.
i agree i mean you dont expect bibby to hit all his shots do you??

he misses a shot and he's selfish?

great game today...!

to add to that without Bibby taking over Martin wouldn't have been as wide open as he was when we needed him to be at the end. When Bibby drove he sucked the entire defense in.
Possibly. I found our offense to be far more 'open' when Artest/SAR were getting the ball in the first half than in the second half "jack-a-rama".

what an exciting game that was! the kings had me on the edge of my seat all night long. i'm sure glad they pulled it out at the end.

kevin martin!!!!!!!!!! mi amoure! he's looking great so far in this young season. bibby had a great game with his vintage ice-in-the-veins clutch shot at the end. shareef looked good out there as well.

man i wish i could watch more of these games! i'm very excited for tommorrow nights game. i'd be tehre for SURE if i still lived in the bay area ( i keep on moving up the west coast. i'm now in portland, so that means kingsfan on the road in jail blazer land. i'm also going to try to take a roadie up to seattle)

kick some more butt tommorrow kings!

I don't understand anyone complain about Bibby and his shot selection. Mike Bibby tonight WAS Mike Bibby. Mike is not the "set up the offense, penetraten and dish" type PG. Mike Bibby is a shoot em up, drive to the hole, and user of his shot making ability to get other guys open. That is Mike's game. Musselman tried to turn Arenas into a true PG, like some of you want Mike to be. It wasn't Arenas's game, and it isn't Mikes. He is our offensive juggernaut, he brings up the ball, he shoots the lights out, he penetrates, and he is the main focus of our offense. Martin benefits in every way from having Mike on the court, as does EVERY player on the court. This is the Mike Bibby of old, and I like it...

I was going to list all the reasons why I think you are VERY wrong, but then I remembered that you seem to be as hard headed as I am. So, I will simply say that we will CONTINUE to disagree.
You can disagree with factual empirical data?

Did Bibby have 9 assists at the 5 minute mark? Yes.
Did the Kings have a 10 point lead? Yes.
Did Bibby go on a shooting tear at this point? Yes.
Did the lead disappate? Yes.
Were those shots "smart shots" within the context of the offense? God I hope not.

I've said, and I'll say again, we lose this game without Bibby. He played amazing. He also played out of control for a period of time and hurt the team.

The two things aren't necessarily exclusive.

When Bibby plays that style of basketball, we play a stagnant offense. No one touches the ball. We don't distribute the ball.

He's an amazing player. He's got an amazing touch. But, those aren't good shots. Those aren't high percentage shots.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I said he played a STELLAR first half.

Not just that, but getting assists can be a very misleading stat when you dominate the basketball. It's not the barometer for how selfish or unselfish you played.

Kobe/Iverson both get decent assists, but they are terribly uninspiring when it comes to team basketball.

When Bibby becomes one-dimensional, he's not a good player. It stagnates the team.

Bibby had 9 assists going into the late 3rd quarter (5 minutes left, 10 point lead), where he became one-dimensional. It's no strange occurance that we started falling apart right about then.

Hitting shots within the offense is a good thing, but he was forcing it and it was hurting us in the 4th. We don't win the game without Bibby, no question ... but it's just I don't want to see last year's offense show back up.
So Bibby shooting more in the 4th closed the gap on the 10 point lead?? Could it possibly be the Memphis was shooting damn near 100% from the 3pt during that same time frame. Bibby is the guy I want with the ball in the 4th he scores and he creates oppurtunities for others to score.

I don't understand anyone complain about Bibby and his shot selection. Mike Bibby tonight WAS Mike Bibby. Mike is not the "set up the offense, penetraten and dish" type PG. Mike Bibby is a shoot em up, drive to the hole, and user of his shot making ability to get other guys open. That is Mike's game. Musselman tried to turn Arenas into a true PG, like some of you want Mike to be. It wasn't Arenas's game, and it isn't Mikes. He is our offensive juggernaut, he brings up the ball, he shoots the lights out, he penetrates, and he is the main focus of our offense. Martin benefits in every way from having Mike on the court, as does EVERY player on the court. This is the Mike Bibby of old, and I like it...
We're 4-0 when Bibby plays more like a PG.

When he plays like a PG for the entire game - we win big. When he plays offense at the expense of the team (and forgets defense) ... we almost lose to the Grizz.

I actually agree with Roman. Overall -- great game from Mike Bibby. But there was a time when he put up some forces in the 4th Quarter, he stopped feeding Martin and Shareef, the offense stagnated, the Grizzlies made a run. Muss called a timeout, Bibby fed Martin for the 3 and things were back on track. It just goes to show that the offense is better when the ball is moving and Bibby isn't looking for his shot without first passing the ball. Not a huge deal, Kings win, everyone's happy, great game by Bibby.

So Bibby shooting more in the 4th closed the gap on the 10 point lead?? Could it possibly be the Memphis was shooting damn near 100% from the 3pt during that same time frame. Bibby is the guy I want with the ball in the 4th he scores and he creates oppurtunities for others to score.
If you say so.

I'd have preferred Ron Artest or SAR in the post and force the Grizz into doubling them so that Mike and Martin get easy looks.

Memphis also shot nearly 100% because our PG without fault forgot that defense is 50% of the game.

We're all complaining about our "lack of defense" tonight, but it all started from the outside in and started with Bibby out.

I'll say it again, because I know Bibby is sacred ground ... we don't win this game without Bibby. But I'd like to see Bibby play more in control and keep our tempo even. We're NOT a running team.

We're 4-0 when Bibby plays more like a PG.

When he plays like a PG for the entire game - we win big. When he plays offense at the expense of the team (and forgets defense) ... we almost lose to the Grizz.
were we watching the same game!!???? nobody played d!!

and some of the grizzlies shots at the end werent actually high percentage shots they just happen to fall in....

Last edited:
You can disagree with factual empirical data?

Did Bibby have 9 assists at the 5 minute mark? Yes.
Did the Kings have a 10 point lead? Yes.
Did Bibby go on a shooting tear at this point? Yes.
Did the lead disappate? Yes.
Were those shots "smart shots" within the context of the offense? God I hope not.

I've said, and I'll say again, we lose this game without Bibby. He played amazing. He also played out of control for a period of time and hurt the team.

The two things aren't necessarily exclusive.

When Bibby plays that style of basketball, we play a stagnant offense. No one touches the ball. We don't distribute the ball.

He's an amazing player. He's got an amazing touch. But, those aren't good shots. Those aren't high percentage shots.
AGAIN, I am not going to argue with you. We see things differently. We disagree. It's all good.

So everyone but Bibby played great defense tonight? :rolleyes:
Everyone played better defense than Bibby, yes.

Did they play great? Not necessarily. It's unforgivable to give an open path to the basket time and again ... it kills the whole team.

Our post players are not animals. They aren't going to reject anyone who comes inside ... our defense is predicated on the whole team trying and at least attempting to stay in front of their man.

We rely on quick rotations, playing passing lanes and forcing the passes ... allowing penetration doesn't do any of this.

It's easy to complain about Bibby if you are a SAR homer. The comment was made that the offense should have looked more to the inside (where SAR plays). AFAIC - this shows what is important.

SAR had a great game. Props to him. But, Bibby had a great game too. I think he deserves just as many props. Instead, complaining about Bibby is what we get. You would think that Bibby's good game kept SAR from being even better. There is no credibility here.
Bibby took a whole 3 more shots than Rahim tonight! How dare he!:eek:

Please, Please, Please let Martain, Sar, and Bibby be our focal points on Offense. I think that the last 3 games has shown that our offense is better when they are.

Everyone played better defense than Bibby, yes.

Did they play great? Not necessarily. It's unforgivable to give an open path to the basket time and again ... it kills the whole team.

Our post players are not animals. They aren't going to reject anyone who comes inside ... our defense is predicated on the whole team trying and at least attempting to stay in front of their man.

We rely on quick rotations, playing passing lanes and forcing the passes ... allowing penetration doesn't do any of this.
^give it a rest dude the kings won!!!

:D

I actually agree with Roman. Overall -- great game from Mike Bibby. But there was a time when he put up some forces in the 4th Quarter, he stopped feeding Martin and Shareef, the offense stagnated, the Grizzlies made a run. Muss called a timeout, Bibby fed Martin for the 3 and things were back on track. It just goes to show that the offense is better when the ball is moving and Bibby isn't looking for his shot without first passing the ball. Not a huge deal, Kings win, everyone's happy, great game by Bibby.
Totally argree

Status
Not open for further replies.