Kings with best defense in the league

Entity

Hall of Famer
last year we had lost 5 games before we ever won our 3rd game i am drawing conclusions from that in fact i will track our record this year vs. last year all year long as we weren't 1 game over .500 last year until a month or longer after we got Artest. in fact last season at this time we were 1-5 with 2 losing streak already. In fact we only had 12 wins the first 2 months of the season yes just 12 wins before the new year. Yes we were 12-17 in 29 games before the year turned 2006 (we also lost the 1st game in 2006) but I won't count that. yes i will first 30 games we were 12-18. This year we have 28 games before the new year. It will be interesting to see when we get our 12th win as a comparison to last season.

Not to take the air out of anyone's balloon, but right now what we're seeing is a team that plays very good at home. Period. I'm happy about that but I'm not about to draw any other conclusions quite yet...
Oh, totally, VF, but we did see glimpses of what MIGHT be on the road, as well, in Chicago, so hopefully we can build, build, build!:D

Not to take the air out of anyone's balloon, but right now what we're seeing is a team that plays very good at home. Period. I'm happy about that but I'm not about to draw any other conclusions quite yet...
Not sure I agree ENTIRELY with your home cooking assessment. I think you are dead right if you mean that our offense seems to be playing much better at home (although pretty early to make that sort of comparison). The offense seemed very disjointed on the road, and while not exactly a model of consistency at home, they seem to be feeding off the crowd to get Fastbreak and easy buckets.

But the defense has been just as good at home as on the road. If you eliminate the very poor second half at Milwaukee, the defensive numbers at home and on the road seem very similar. While the defense seems to feed off the Arco crowd and hustle even more, we saw the same thing for 4-5 of the 6 halves the team has played on the road as well...

It's hard to compare anything to the beginning of last season, because we were a really horrible team - no leader with Webber gone, and washed up Peja as our main-man - Artest was the turn around, and we haven't yet had him for an entire season.

I've got high hopes.
In Petrie we trust.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not sure I agree ENTIRELY with your home cooking assessment. I think you are dead right if you mean that our offense seems to be playing much better at home (although pretty early to make that sort of comparison). The offense seemed very disjointed on the road, and while not exactly a model of consistency at home, they seem to be feeding off the crowd to get Fastbreak and easy buckets.

But the defense has been just as good at home as on the road. If you eliminate the very poor second half at Milwaukee, the defensive numbers at home and on the road seem very similar. While the defense seems to feed off the Arco crowd and hustle even more, we saw the same thing for 4-5 of the 6 halves the team has played on the road as well...
You got it.

It's hard to compare anything to the beginning of last season, because we were a really horrible team - no leader with Webber gone, and washed up Peja as our main-man - Artest was the turn around, and we haven't yet had him for an entire season.

I've got high hopes.
In Petrie we trust.
Not sure if I'd call him 'washed up' by any means, but he wasnt playing like he's capable of, thats for sure.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
last year we had lost 5 games before we ever won our 3rd game i am drawing conclusions from that in fact i will track our record this year vs. last year all year long as we weren't 1 game over .500 last year until a month or longer after we got Artest. in fact last season at this time we were 1-5 with 2 losing streak already. In fact we only had 12 wins the first 2 months of the season yes just 12 wins before the new year. Yes we were 12-17 in 29 games before the year turned 2006 (we also lost the 1st game in 2006) but I won't count that. yes i will first 30 games we were 12-18. This year we have 28 games before the new year. It will be interesting to see when we get our 12th win as a comparison to last season.
Okay...

This team bears no resemblance to the squad that started the 2005-2006 season.

All I'm advising is a little bit of restraint before you get too carried away after a couple of home wins. And don't ever underestimate the power of Arco.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Interesting fact, last season bibby hit 29 of his first 80 shots, that is 36%. This year has only taken 69 so far and has hit 24 that is 34%. So if he goes 5 for his next 11 he will be right on track for last year. After his slow start at 36% for his first 6 games he went on a tear and ended up shooting 43% for the season and he was healthy last year. Now when the wrist heals up i expect to see the kind of scoring he was doing in the preseason when he was shooting 45% before the injury.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Okay...

This team bears no resemblance to the squad that started the 2005-2006 season.

All I'm advising is a little bit of restraint before you get too carried away after a couple of home wins. And don't ever underestimate the power of Arco.
I am mostly arguing the "experts" having us under .500. I just don't understand that. In fact i saw a magazine today for a betting magazine that has us at 33-49. All the emphasis is on Bonzi being gone with his offense. Nobody outside of KingsFans thought that Martin would average more than 10 or 12 points a game. As Artest was the x-factor in last years surge on defense. Martin will be the x-factor in this years offense.

I really really really just don't see us finishing worse than last season which is why i am doing the comparison. #1 ppl uderestimate the impact of Martin #2 ppl underestimate Ron Artest and how he change the outcome of last season in just 3 months and now we have him the whole year #3 ppl underestimate the defensive surge that Muss will demand all year. Our offense will get better we will average around 97 points per game by the end of the year and will give up around 93.

I'm not going to get too giddy yet. The point differential isn't too good. And in FG% against puts the Kings in 10th and in 3PT% against we are 15th. (NBA.com's sortable team stats.) Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely pleased with the direction the team's going with defense, but I'll wait and see how this goes over a few more games. ;)

(For reference: In 02-03 the Kings led the league for the season in FG% against and 3PT% against and were #2 in point differential. #2 in steals.)

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
ppg is NOT best defense. That's pace.

Opp FG% is the ticket. And that's quite good as well, but not first. Its .445, about 5th-7th I think.

As far as rebounding, again, not total rebs -- that's pace. Reb % is the key. And we're doing well, but its hard to tell the significance or whether we can hold it or not. None of the teams we have faced are above middling on the glass (Chi = 14th, Det = 15th, Min = 21st, Mil = 27th). And that's largely due to Ron putting together not only a career year, but an absolute breakout year on the glass if he can hold it together. He's never been remotely close to these kind of numbers before.

Mentioned before -- scoring 91, allowing 90 -- that's Memphis stuff. Fratello stuff. And gee, where was Muss last year?

ppg is NOT best defense. That's pace.

Opp FG% is the ticket. And that's quite good as well, but not first. Its .445, about 5th-7th I think.

As far as rebounding, again, not total rebs -- that's pace. Reb % is the key. And we're doing well, but its hard to tell the significance or whether we can hold it or not. None of the teams we have faced are above middling on the glass (Chi = 14th, Det = 15th, Min = 21st, Mil = 27th). And that's largely due to Ron putting together not only a career year, but an absolute breakout year on the glass if he can hold it together. He's never been remotely close to these kind of numbers before.

Mentioned before -- scoring 91, allowing 90 -- that's Memphis stuff. Fratello stuff. And gee, where was Muss last year?
Not totally. Steals and causing turnovers are also part of defense and the Kings rank very high in those categories as well so far. What better defense than limiting your opponents shot attempts right?

Entity

Hall of Famer
But 3 of those games we played were against 2 of the best rebounders in the league and another game Sheed had 15. I am happy overall with the rebounding. In won't try to find ways to explain them away.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Yeah but we won three of them and we were the only team in the league to have three away games right off. We can be hesitant, but we should be happy with this start IMO.
we were also the only team to have three straight away games to start the season last year. Also being the other teams home opener each night.