Grade our Off-season so far

What would you Grade our off-season so far?

• A

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • B

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • C

Votes: 64 45.4%
  • D

Votes: 45 31.9%
  • F

Votes: 16 11.3%

• Total voters
I agree.

I can already see the arguments from some that "Petrie tried hard, but lost out to better offers from other teams for free agents; and Bonzi's agent screwed everything up," which is true to some degree.

But the fact of the matter is, if I study hard and end up with a C on an exam, I still get a C. Sorry. Can't spin it any other way.

LPKingsFan said:
I agree.

I can already see the arguments from some that "Petrie tried hard, but lost out to better offers from other teams for free agents; and Bonzi's agent screwed everything up," which is true to some degree.

But the fact of the matter is, if I study hard and end up with a C on an exam, I still get a C. Sorry. Can't spin it any other way.
No one can pretend like GP has done a good job cause he hasn't. no one expected the Off-season to be this disappointing and one of them was me.

This current squad will probably get knocked out of the 1st round. if only GP could make some trades then it would change but he's probably settled for the Off-season.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I really didn't expect a complete overhaul on the roster to begin with so I'd say a B. Picking up Salmons was a good move I think. He is a little overpaid, but if he performs well that could be a very good contract in the long run.

I like the pickup of Loren Woods and it's even better if there are no guarantees on his deal.

The complete overhaul happened with the coaching staff and before any big moves occur I would think they'll look and see what they've got first. I also like the selection of Eric Musselman. I loved what I saw in summer league, pressure D, running on offense, spreading the ball around.

More than anything I am excited for and about Kevin and Francisco. These are two very special players. I hope they get plenty time on the court together next season because they play so well together.

I am ready to expect the unexpected. I just want to see more growth with this squad, if something needs to be changed it will be I don't doubt that. I remember last year we looked so good on paper but there was this dark haze, this weight that seemed to be on everyones shoulders. I see this season as that weight being lifted off and beginning a new. I am ready for it!

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I went with D as well. Lost the better player, overpaid for a lesser one, drafted a guy who has no obvious spot in the rotation, did not resolve any of our issues up front beyond picking up somebody that more or less takes Sampson's place on the roster.

The only thing that has gone right/was done well was I liked the moves to sign up all the undrafted bigs for summer league, and bringing in Admundson and Williams for camp. But those are at best 11th/12th man type moves, so hardly going to outweigh the rest.

Doubly disappointing after the immediate aftermath of the Spurs series had the Maloofs talking title and me/us thinking 1) resign Bonzi; 2) make a significant move up front, 3) sign a FA for the MLE, go into the tax if necessary, and try to contend. Instead, we do little and go backward.

P.S. Almost forgot, also lost a 700win coach with nearly as many playoff victories as the new guy has regular season victories just to get things off to the rosy start.

Last edited:
C
Would be a D if other West teams made considerable upgrades, but since that did not happen, IMO there was not a lot of realistic upgrading to be had. Since it is Petrie, he only gets a C because I would expect him to pull off somthing incredible and he has not.

Kingzrool said:
C
Would be a D if other West teams made considerable upgrades, but since that did not happen, IMO there was not a lot of realistic upgrading to be had. Since it is Petrie, he only gets a C because I would expect him to pull off somthing incredible and he has not.
I doubt there is any reason to expect GP to still pull something incrediblie. having to see myself put expectations on GP to pull a trade is not worth the time these days. i think hes losing some of the magic he had in the past and thats arguable.

I doubt there is any reason to expect GP to still pull something incrediblie. having to see myself put expectations on GP to pull a trade is not worth the time these days. i think hes losing some of the magic he had in the past and thats arguable.
Sure is, we have argued about it lots around here! ;)
Obviously, I am on the GP side of the fence, but another summer like this and if no clear reasons come up why some of the recent moves were made, I will be losing faith as well.

I voted for the "C" grade..I think I would have given a much better grade if we would have either signed Bonzi OR if we got something of value for him in a sign and trade. I actually like the additions of Salmons and Woods, these guys may not be high impact players but they can come to camp with something with something to prove.

I have also read good things about Amundson and Williams. :)

So I think we'll see how good the team is after about 20 games..they could be A or B type of grade after the season starts.

Picking up Salmons for the right price would've made a pretty good move but we overpayed and thus it makes it a awful move.
Like I said, it hinges on how well he performs. The most he will ever make on the deal is 5.8 million. If he does what Muss/Petrie expect him to that could be a "Peja" type contract by comparison. Refering to the deal we had with Peja that is.

Does it not make sense to not completely overhaul the roster AGAIN and wait to see what the coach will do and see what players fit into his vision?

So far the two moves we've made -signing Salmons and Loren- were moves Muss clearly oversaw. Trades are a different story. I would think they would take a wait and see approach in that area. They aren't going to go out and commit a ton of salary above what they have now and hope it works. Especially when you consider there is NOBODY out there right now. Smart or lazy? You be the judge.

I'd say C. I liked the Douby pick and I'm willing to wait and see on Salmons. But obviously losing Bonzi for nothing was a blow, as was missing out on some of the better free agents. Things didn't go really our way this offseason, but I'm still excited about the coming season.

I was leaning on a D or an F... Went with F we are no better off then last year and IMO are worse. So IMO that makes a bad off season. For all the reason BRICK said above.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I went with C. Pretty much the same reason as always. I'm going to wait and see what some of these guys actually do in a Kings uniform before I decide they're failures.

I know. Silly me.

Geoff has brought in no center help, and no pg help. Brad Miller is still on the roster, and Bonzi is not. I think it is optimistic and generous to give anything but an "F".

Maybe we'll get lucky and Salmons will be a budding star - but everything the Kings are doing seems consistent with liquidation sale prior to splitting town.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
^^They might not have made tremendous advances but I think the worst thing people can do right now is start throwing phrases like "liquidation sale prior to splitting town" around.

I'm just not buying into the doom and gloom.

D.

-Losing Bonzi wasn't that bad, but we made a terrible signing in John Salmons especially for the full MLE.

-Passing on Marcus Williams and picking Douby. I like Douby okay but Williams is a true PG and he killed in the summer league.

-We didn't really solve our shotblocking problems. Signing Woods was decent but the guy could barely come off the bench in Toronto, when they had even worse defense than us.

-We still have Thomas.

A

AriesMar27

i chose "c" as well... if we had gotten salmons for half mle, drafted anyone besides douby, a big maybe... even a bad one.... boone maybe... and gotten woods... i would given a "b" or maybe even an "a"... for not wasting all of their money on scrubs...

^^They might not have made tremendous advances but I think the worst thing people can do right now is start throwing phrases like "liquidation sale prior to splitting town" around.

I'm just not buying into the doom and gloom.
I can think of worse things.

I am just calling it like I see it. From what I've seen in the offseason, there is not a commitment to excellence, but rather a commitment to frugality - emphasis on not being a tax team etc. It is disappointing but I don't feel as doomy and gloomy as that phrase (liquidation sale) might imply. It just doesn't seem like the front office is trying to win now, OR rebuild. Just a bizarre complacency. Maybe Ron has explained to the Maloofs and Geoff that we really almost won the championship last year, and they bought it.

I wonder, for those who didn't score an "F", what an "F" would look like to you? Maybe hiring Whiz... but Whiz is looking like not such a bad idea the last week or so.

I will re-read the thread for the things the front office has done "right". It has escaped me.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I can think of worse things.

I am just calling it like I see it. From what I've seen in the offseason, there is not a commitment to excellence, but rather a commitment to frugality - emphasis on not being a tax team etc. It is disappointing but I don't feel as doomy and gloomy as that phrase (liquidation sale) might imply. It just doesn't seem like the front office is trying to win now, OR rebuild. Just a bizarre complacency. Maybe Ron has explained to the Maloofs and Geoff that we really almost won the championship last year, and they bought it.
What do you call an A off-season? Or a B? And how do you think the Kings off-season transactions have compared to the other teams in the West?

I think there might be a commitment to not making deals that get us over the salary cap without good reason. I look at the roster and I see some salaries coming off this year that might really help us in next year's Free Agency market should we desire to actually dive in instead of just dangling our feet.

I don't understand why some people think the Maloofs have to continue to overspend. But if you think they've failed, I respect your opinion. I simply don't agree with it.

:)

BK_KingsFan7 said:
D.

-Losing Bonzi wasn't that bad, but we made a terrible signing in John Salmons especially for the full MLE.

-Passing on Marcus Williams and picking Douby. I like Douby okay but Williams is a true PG and he killed in the summer league.

-We didn't really solve our shotblocking problems. Signing Woods was decent but the guy could barely come off the bench in Toronto, when they had even worse defense than us.

-We still have Thomas.
Ditto.

it is what it is though GP and the Maloofs have no motives to spend money. i think there gonna let this season slide like this past season and then get to work next summer but at this point i'm not gonna wait for the future its always now and currently we just don't have a good roster to compete with the big dogs.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I went with D as well. Lost the better player, overpaid for a lesser one, drafted a guy who has no obvious spot in the rotation, did not resolve any of our issues up front beyond picking up somebody that more or less takes Sampson's place on the roster.

The only thing that has gone right/was done well was I liked the moves to sign up all the undrafted bigs for summer league, and bringing in Admundson and Williams for camp. But those are at best 11th/12th man type moves, so hardly going to outweigh the rest.

Doubly disappointing after the immediate aftermath of the Spurs series had the Maloofs talking title and me/us thinking 1) resign Bonzi; 2) make a significant move up front, 3) sign a FA for the MLE, go into the tax if necessary, and try to contend. Instead, we do little and go backward.

P.S. Almost forgot, also lost a 700win coach with nearly as many playoff victories as the new guy has regular season victories just to get things off to the rosy start.
What he said.

I'll answer what I would consider an A or B:

Bonzi - whatever you think of him - was an "asset", and now he is nothing. Not good stewardship by Geoff imo. In fact, a blunder. We're all pinning it on Bonzi's agent, but I fault Geoff too for misreading the situation all along.

Parlaying Bonzi into legitimate PG or big man help = A or B.

Drafting Williams instead of QDoob = A or B.

Shedding Miller and/or Thomas = A or B.

Shedding Miller and Thomas, drafting Williams, and doing a S&T with Bonzi to net a big man = A+ offseason.

I respect your opinions too :)

D - and sorry if I'm repeating, but:
1. Lost the 6'5" guy who averaged 23 and 12 in the playoffs and kept the 7 footer who averaged 9 and 3. (I still can't get over the 3.)
2. Absolutely no help in the rebounding or interior defense department. Earl Boykins is going to pad his offensive rebounding numbers against this squad.
3. Kenny Thomas is still a King.
4. Are we going to draft a two guard every year until we have a roster of twelve of them? Sheesh.
5. Adelman firing = bad. Musselman hiring a decent save, earning Petrie the D.

This squad will flirt with .500, but won't make the playoffs.