All things Woods ...updated (merged)

Per minute this guy is the best shotblocker on the market. Another one of the those guys that would bust our *** and now we have him. I brought him up in the personnel moves forum not too long ago so I am definately happy about this signing if true. Look at the stats he isn't just a scrub. And even if he is, he does exactly what we need, block and rebound. Not to mention the fact that his extremely athletic for a 7'2" guy.

Per minute this guy is the best shotblocker on the market. Another one of the those guys that would bust our *** and now we have him. I brought him up in the personnel moves forum not too long ago so I am definately happy about this signing if true. Look at the stats he isn't just a scrub. And even if he is, he does exactly what we need, block and rebound. Not to mention the fact that his extremely athletic for a 7'2" guy.
hmmm...was that the same reason we had Otag?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ok, this is Loren Woods:

5 yrs pro
208 career games
11.6min 2.3pts (.418 .143 .642) 3.3reb 0.3ast 0.3stl 0.6blk 0.7TO 1.3FL

This is not someone you get really excited over. I am not anti signing him given our weaknesses, but this is close to the bottom of the barrel for this style of player. Its kind of like signing Mikki Moore.

hmmm...was that the same reason we had Otag?

I am sure that's what Petrie was thinking when he signed him. And I am sure that is what the thinking is with signing Woods. Although the situation is different. Woods has the potential to be much more because of how he can fit into Musselmans gameplan.

Woods could even slide over to play with Brad I think.

He could be Keon Clark part 2, or a bust. He's worth a shot.

Ok, this is Loren Woods:

5 yrs pro
208 career games

This is not someone you get really excited over. I am not anti signing him given our weaknesses, but this is close to the bottom of the barrel for this style of player. Its kind of like signing Mikki Moore.

Nearly averaged 1 block a game in 12 mpg last season. He isn't the next dominant big man, but I have to admit. I am a little bit excited. If he gets us 5 rebounds and 1 block in 12 minutes a game I'll be jumping off the freaking walls.

hey! we signed someone....be happy with what we have

sampson is gone, potapenko is fat and cant run and we are left with nada back-up center
woods is a start
if only we can trade kenny.....if only

Hope this is true. He doesn't need to play that many minutes and you guys are underrating him with comments like "The reason the Kings won't make the playoffs is because we chose to sign Woods and Salmons!" This is still a pretty talented team and if he can give us 4 pts, 5 boards, 1.2 blks in 15 minutesish then I'll be happy. That's a big step up from ANYTHING we already have, and I've heard people say he's had confidence-ish problems. Well the Arco thunder that would ensue after a thunderous dunk/block could help that. Ron coming over and giving him some advice or including him in a talk during free throws could help that. Musselman's intense personality could help that.

Really? Even better then. If they don't want him they can waive him without a problem. I find it a little hard to believe though. I would think Loren could get the minimum somewhere. Still think this could be a really good pickup.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Am I missing something? All I've seen is that Loren Woods worked out for the team, according to Sam Amick's sources. Did I miss the part where someone actually said he was signed to anything?

Am I missing something? All I've seen is that Loren Woods worked out for the team, according to Sam Amick's sources. Did I miss the part where someone actually said he was signed to anything?
No, you are still sharp as a tack, VF.;) Its a rumor. He was spotted in town and Amick had a little birdie say he worked out for the Kings. That's it. KHTK Sportsline had folks calling and asking about it and what Napear said was, if the Kings did actually sign him, he'd be surprised if it was more than a non-guaranteed contract. Napear is not impressed with him. So Napear was not confirming either. Its all speculation.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wasn't he the kid who sat alone in the green room on his draft day because he had dropped so far down from originally expecting to be a lottery pick?

I don't see us offering him anything other than perhaps some free garlic fries and maybe a chance to show up at camp...

Well, so far, it's guaranteed money. Nothing else has been said on the money-part his potential deal.

Read the first post. Believe it or not, but I'm tending to believe him on this one. If he's wrong, oh well then. TheJoker and some other chaps would be happy at least. ;) :eek:

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
On his top 5 at 5 Grant said he was signed to a non-guaranteed contract - I think for the minimum. I'm not saying he's right, but that's what he said. :)

On his top 5 at 5 Grant said he was signed to a non-guaranteed contract - I think for the minimum. I'm not saying he's right, but that's what he said. :)
What does that mean, is he in the same boat as Williams and Amundson going into camp? Amundson at least might have a 3 year deal if things keep going good for him in camp.

We'll have to see in the coming days. Either way, I'm fine with us being interested in Woods. Better than Santiago, or the suggested Doleac a couple days ago. :eek:

KingFan4Life24 said:
Fox40 reported that the Kings and Loren Woods have been talking and are closing in on a deal.....no one from the kings organization say yes, but pretrie said that they have been talking.....I'm not familiar with this guy but only know he's a center at 7'1...
http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=556870&sid=02b35cc5dd1862a919dc3f1bafb19d97

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I would be fine with that. Can't hurt to invite a shotblocking big to camp and Woods is good enough to stick, if not excite. But at this point we are just inviting all kinds of scraps and undrafted guys to come try out for the team when we basically have no roster spots to hold them. Geoff really needs to find some way to take a stack of our random guaranteed junk and turn it into just one good player. The "flexible pieces" and their descendants from the Webber disaster are just chewing up a huge chunk of our capspace while wasting roster spaces and holding back rebuilding. Take Kenny and Corliss and Potapenko and/or Hart etc. and turn them into ONE player, and all of a sudden all of these Admundson or Woods or Williams or Price or whatever type players have a spot, a role, a future, and frankly while they may not be that good, it would be a lot more interesting than watching nondynamic overpaid midlevel vets who are never going to get any better waste those bench spots.

^^^^ Gotta agree with you there. I'm just not that confidant that it will happen. Williamson to Charlotte for a draft pick might work to open up a spot. They need to add salary and he would give them that plus let them keep their flexibility going into next offseason.

I would be fine with that. Can't hurt to invite a shotblocking big to camp and Woods is good enough to stick, if not excite. But at this point we are just inviting all kinds of scraps and undrafted guys to come try out for the team when we basically have no roster spots to hold them. Geoff really needs to find some way to take a stack of our random guaranteed junk and turn it into just one good player. The "flexible pieces" and their descendants from the Webber disaster are just chewing up a huge chunk of our capspace while wasting roster spaces and holding back rebuilding. Take Kenny and Corliss and Potapenko and/or Hart etc. and turn them into ONE player, and all of a sudden all of these Admundson or Woods or Williams or Price or whatever type players have a spot, a role, a future, and frankly while they may not be that good, it would be a lot more interesting than watching nondynamic overpaid midlevel vets who are never going to get any better waste those bench spots.
Have to agree.

If we could turn those expirings and Thomas into one player then it would leave spots open for Amundson, Williams and Price. We have some very interesting players invited to the camp but we won't be able to keep more than 2 max because there are others who are eating up salary cap and roster spot without contributing anything.

Ok, this is Loren Woods:

5 yrs pro
208 career games

Maybe he averaged that many blocks and rebounds because everytime he entered a game, it was just garbage minutes and the other team's players playing garbage minutes just jacked up shots.

My god people we do we have to tear apart every single aspect of every player we sign?? This is a no risk signing and quite frankly I wasn't too excited going into the season with Amundson and Williams as our back up bigs(both undrafted free agents who were decent in college but no one knows how, or if, this will translate to the pros).

Woods has some of the attributes that we are looking for and if he(or any other big) can give us 10-15 minutes a game of rebounding and blocking shots then I'm all for it.

It's not like we are signing him to challenge Miller for the starting center spot :rolleyes:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
My god people we do we have to tear apart every single aspect of every player we sign?? This is a no risk signing and quite frankly I wasn't too excited going into the season with Amundson and Williams as our back up bigs(both undrafted free agents who were decent in college but no one knows how, or if, this will translate to the pros).

Woods has some of the attributes that we are looking for and if he(or any other big) can give us 10-15 minutes a game of rebounding and blocking shots then I'm all for it.

It's not like we are signing him to challenge Miller for the starting center spot :rolleyes:
(Edit: I should clarify - I agree.)

I don't think that for the price (at/near league minimum - reportedly not guaranteed) and the need (backup big man) you can complain much right now. He'll compete for a spot. Let the guy compete and show what he can do. I sincerely doubt we're done with moves this offseason....