Napear Says "Kings Should Sign Scot Pollard"

Would you sign Scot Pollard to the Veteran Minimum of $1.75 million?

• Total voters
Grant Napear said on his radio show (and I quote) "Not just because he is a friend of mine, but the Kings should use their remaining 1.75 million to sign Scot Pollard". He follows it up by saying that Pollard says that his back has not felt this good in two years. he can rebound and defend the post.

My question to you all....is that an option :confused:

nah, with all due respect to Scot...I'll take a pass, he's not the same player he was a few years back. Plenty of back problems for Scot.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, once again - I'm torn. I would vote "no" but not because "he can not stay healthy."

I just don't think he'd do the job we really need to have him do...and I do not want to see the small group of Kings fans who turn on our own using Scot as the latest target for their ire.

if I thought his back would stay healthy, I would in a heartbeat, specifically for his rebounding and blocking the paint. But history shows his back will flare up. and I just can't bring myself to vote against him. ;)

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Pollard MIGHT be worth the LLE if it were not for the fact that there are better guys to be had for the same money right now. I see retirement in his near future.

I'd still take Jake Voshkul over Pollard, if we couldn't get Wright/Cato/Kandi.. Who isn't just some stiff who didn't play much with the Suns in 04-05. 6'11", young, can defend in the post, has a good jumper, good rebounder.

Unfortunately, Pollard is done. If we're talking about the Pollard of three years ago, absolutely. But we're talking about the guy who seems to miss every other game with a back injury. Scot just can't be relied upon as your primary backup center any more. Then again, maybe he's worth signing to keep the locker room loose from the trainer's table.

I wouldn't be opposed at all. I would rather Kandi for that money though. But if he is the only one for that price I say go for it. He can still play.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Great person but, talk about the wrong stuff. Not what we need. Not young not athletic can't come close to keeping up with the spry centers in the league now. Can't block shots like he used to.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Not the first choice amongst the remaining FAs, but if we wanted to sign him to a vet min, I would not be opposed. If that is ALL we did, I would be more than a little annoyed though.

I'd take Scot because he's a good locker room guy. Light hearted and goofy. It would probably be good for the team in that sense.

We are running out of options. At this point if he can play like he did for some of last year and stay(somewhat) healthy we could use him, for his size and intangables if nothing else.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Maybe we're going overboard on the back up 5 bit. Detroit, Phoenix, Dallas, Wizards, et al don't have a "Big" backup 5. If Musselman is going to run-run-run, then we need a back up 5 that can run-run-run and jump and maybe block a few. That could be williams right now. Personally, I think we may be pat on the big guy front.

I also voted that there would be no movement on new players for awhile. Training camp will invite a couple of Bigs I'm sure but they would likely have little chance. And wait until you see Amundson and Williams rebound and wait until you see what an animal K-Mart has become.

Maybe we're going overboard on the back up 5 bit. Detroit, Phoenix, Dallas, Wizards, et al don't have a "Big" backup 5. If Musselman is going to run-run-run, then we need a back up 5 that can run-run-run and jump and maybe block a few. That could be williams right now. Personally, I think we may be pat on the big guy front.

I also voted that there would be no movement on new players for awhile. Training camp will invite a couple of Bigs I'm sure but they would likely have little chance. And wait until you see Amundson and Williams rebound and wait until you see what an animal K-Mart has become.
Lorenzen Wright.

Watching the Grizz with regularity the last 2 or 3 seasons... He's a mobile big man in running the floor/laterally/leaping. He's not a quality blocker, but he's not medicore or non-existent either. He takes a ton of charges to make up for not being a good shotblocker, is a good rebounder, long, not small-mass-wise, has a decent offensive game, defends well in the post. Muss had him in Memphis for 2 seasons, Petrie tried to get him last summer in the Bonzi trade. His role was reduced and got limited minutes, significantly, in his contract year.

I've seen Amundson/Williams, I'm just not sure they'll get regular time if they make the team. Which both should IMO, and hope both do.

Regardless, I'd just like to get one of Cato/Wright/Kandi for the LLE.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Wizards are soft non-factors, so no idea why we would want to imitate them. They did have both Etan -- physical combo beast -- and Booth around though.

Phoenix are freaks.

Dallas only had a guy named Dampier off the ebnch, or Diop. They are interchangeable. And that's before you reach MBenga. THREE 7'0" centers.

Detroit did not, no. But Detroit, like Washington and Dallas, had a big shotblocking/rebounding STARTER. And that's the key thing. They had their big tough beast in there. We have Brad, and as it stands right now, maybe SAR next to him. Soft as a baby's bottom. And so all of a sudden our backup center has to do what the starting centers on most teams do, because we don't have starting bigs. We have tall starting SFs posing as bigs.

Last edited:
Brad for Camby or Nene. ;)

Denver gets a better outside shooting and passing big man than Camby (who can do both, but not as good as Brad). Nene or Kenyon compliment Brad. I'll take the risk of Camby playing 60-65 games (based on the last 3 seasons), to get what Camby brings to both ends of the floor. :)

Last edited:
Brad for Camby or Nene. ;)

Denver gets a better outside shooting and passing big man than Camby (who can do both, but not as good as Brad). Nene or Kenyon compliment Brad. I'll take the risk of Camby playing 60-65 games (based on the last 3 seasons), to get what Camby brings to both ends of the floor. :)
I love Camby, he sure if fun to watch, even if he doesn't play the whole season. He is the athletic guy that I'd love to see in a Kings uniform.

Why is it that we still need to address the most glaring weakness on our team as in prior years and only have the LLE $ to spend on it. Do we honestly expect that this will do it? We lose Bonzi for nothing and nobody wants KT, the teams that do don't have or going to give us the guy we need. So barring a big trade like Miller for Camby or Dalembert, etc what hope do we have? Barring the big trade to get what we need, we have scraps in $ left to spend to stay under the cap and can pick from very green youngins in Justin Williams, or others that come to our camp, and the trio of Kandiman, Cato, and Wright. I see why so many people are upset with Petrie spending $25M/5 yrs for Salmons, he does play 3 positions which is invaluable, but we need to address our 4/5 weakness, and unless we trade Bibby, Miller, and/or SAR with scrubs, we aren't going to get the impact player we need, unless of course the Maloofs open up their wallet and spend to get what we need. Dallas, SA, Miami have a 3-4 7 footers or near 7 footers, we have 1 that plays like he's 6' 8" and a PF that is 6' 7" and tries to play bigger.

I love Pollard, but unless we can sign him to the league veteran min than we'll have to pass. We already have Corliss who is a chearleader off the bench and a locker room jem. We also have the best fans in the league so why do we need cheer leaders on our roster, we don't need them, we need results on the court not rah rah guys that ride the pine. :D

What gets me so ticked is that Petrie admits that we will suck in rebounding more this year than next and last year we were one of the worst. How does this "minor" detail lend itself to us being an elite team? It would be nice to have a trio of 7 footers as the other elite teams in the league, but I'll take 1 or 2 that play 7 feet or near physically, not being a tweener like KT trying to play like you are 6'10" or above. Every year we know we need this and don't get it, when will this stop and we finally make the big trade to bring in what we need???

Last edited:
Scot's a great guy to have on your team, but I would prefer taking a run at either Cato or Wright. Stay away from Kandi, but I think that Wright or Cato could be had before resorting to Scot.

the question is would take scot over potatoe head? Yes !
Would it be my first choice? No. I believe that GP is still trying
to fill that void. It might take a week, 2 or maybe a month. There
is one thing though, I HATE waiting...............agreed:mad:

the question is would take scot over potatoe head? Yes !
Would it be my first choice? No. I believe that GP is still trying
to fill that void. It might take a week, 2 or maybe a month. There
is one thing though, I HATE waiting...............agreed:mad:

What?