Sacramento, Indiana Closing in on Deal?

Er, Indy Star says no deal:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060712/SPORTS04/607120404/1088/SPORTS04

Pacers may still go after Harrington, but not Wells
Official says the team is not interested in former Ball State star who plays for Kings
By Mike Wells
mike.wells@indystar.com
July 12, 2006

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Free agent signings and trades become official today, the end of the league's player movement moratorium period.
The Indiana Pacers, a team trying to overcome a mediocre season last year, can talk about the trade of Austin Croshere to Dallas for Marquis Daniels and the loss of Peja Stojakovic to the New Orleans Hornets today.
Daniels can play both guard positions and small forward. Stojakovic agreed to a five-year, $64 million deal with the Hornets on the first day of free agency.
With only the midlevel exception (about $5 million) and the biannual exception (about $1.7 million) available, the Pacers likely will have to make their moves through trades.
The Pacers are still in the running for Atlanta Hawks forward Al Harrington. It will take a sign-and-trade deal for the Pacers to acquire Harrington, who spent his first six seasons in Indiana. Golden State reportedly also is interested in Harrington.
Contrary to reports, a team official said Tuesday the Pacers are not interested in acquiring Bonzi Wells from Sacramento for Jeff Foster and Sarunas Jasikevicius.
The Pacers have more flexibility in the backcourt now that they have acquired Daniels, meaning they could try to trade more than one of their point guards -- Jasikevicius, Jamaal Tinsley and Anthony Johnson.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
nbrans said:
Contrary to reports, a team official said Tuesday the Pacers are not interested in acquiring Bonzi Wells from Sacramento for Jeff Foster and Sarunas Jasikevicius.
Yeah but draftexpress says... :p

From what I've read at PacersDigest in the past, they seem to think a lot of this Mike Wells guy of the IndyStar. I suspect he may have spoken to some real people and not just the guy who folds the towels for the guy who mops the floor.

;)

Yeah but draftexpress says... :p

From what I've read at PacersDigest in the past, they seem to think a lot of this Mike Wells guy of the IndyStar. I suspect he may have spoken to some real people and not just the guy who folds the towels for the guy who mops the floor.

;)

Yes, Wells is a negative Nancy, but generally is a solid, solid reporter.

watever there are better s&t's out there for bonzi but im a huge fan of foster because unlike that [deleted] (brad miller) foster can rebound the ball. And Sarunes is okay i guess. We wouldnt really need him because of douby but more back up for bibby is always good.

And I think I'll just go ahead and trim off the rest of it; kingsrock783, the racial undertones in your post are not acceptable here. Don't do it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^
I don't know if you are speculating or have the inside juice, but either way I agree. Granger's not coming here for Wells, Camby isn't, KG isn't, Magloire isn't. Maybe if it becomes part of a multi-team deal we can get something a little more attractive, but IF it goes down I think this is still the basis.

Hopefully Bonzi resigns and takes the paycut. If not, Artest said he was going to kill him. The only way i see Bonzi gone is if requests some ridiculous amount of money and we sign and trade him. He can also walk, but we can offer more than any team.

Actually from I have come to understand is that this is probably the only S&T out there. Bonzi either a) re-signs b) is S&T to Indy c) walks away.
He most likely would have to walk away for less money. Not sure he's going to do that.

And it would not surprise me to see a S&T somehow, this is just one RUMORED S&T. GP is this sphinx when it comes to any hints of his talks, dealing, etc.

Donnie Walsh was asked yesterday in his press conference about Wells and Al Harrington. DW said they've had discussions about one, none about the other. He didn't name names, but we all know they've discussed bringing Al back.

So Pacers as of right now aren't interested in Wells.

You might ask, well sure what is DW supposed to say. He could have said he's not going to discuss players they are interested in.

If any of you want to watch all or part of the press conference, I can get it for you