Ron Artest To Join Summer League

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/14274632p-15084413c.html

Wow Ron is gonna miss out on his music and play more basketball. I think he really wants to prove everyone that he really has changed.

GO RON!!!!!!

Actually, he's already done most of his music stuff, going on tour for 1-2 weeks earlier this month. Probably just got back a few days ago or so.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/14274632p-15084413c.html

Artest to play in summer league

Published 12:01 am PDT Tuesday, July 4, 2006
Story appeared in Sports section, Page C6

Print | E-Mail | Comments (0)
The Kings' summer-league roster was announced on Monday, and it was as unorthodox as expected. Small forward Ron Artest will indeed be joining the youngsters, and shooting guard Kevin Martin will be taking part for a third year. The league, which is typically a training or tryout ground for first- and second-year players like Kings draft pick Quincy Douby, begins play Thursday in Las Vegas. The Kings play five games at UNLV's Cox Pavilion, beginning Thursday and ending July 12. For more information or tickets, go to www.vegassummerleague.com.

2006 Sacramento Kings
Sell It Yourself
Toshiba Vegas Summer League roster
Player, Pos., Ht./Wt., College

Louis Amundson, F, 6-9/225, UNLV

*Ron Artest, F/G, 6-7/260, St. John's

Rod Benson, C, 6-10/220, Cal

Odartey Blankson, F, 6-7/220, UNLV

Sam Daghlas, G, 6-6/210, Fastlink (Jordan)

*Quincy Douby, G, 6-3/175, Rutgers

*Francisco GarcĂ­a, G/F, 6-7/195, Louisville

Taj Gray, F, 6-9/238, Oklahoma

Curtis Green Hai Bei Huang, F, 6-9/235, China

Eugene "Pooh" Jeter, G, 5-11/175, Portland

Sean Lampley, F, 6-7/227, Cal

Christian Maraker, F, 6-9/235, Pacific

*Kevin Martin, G, 6-7/185, Western Carolina

Yemi Nicholson, C, 6-11/260, Denver

*Ronnie Price, G, 6-2/190, Utah Valley State

Justin Williams, C, 6-10/225, Wyoming

* currently under contract with Kings

---------------------------

I like it. I think it's going to be good for him just being there with the young guys, even if he doesn't play much.

Ron always played summer league, he did it every year he was with the Pacers. Last year he played every game and played a lot of minutes every game. I think the year before he was at all the practices and the first game or two and then left.

I think its good that Ron is going to be there, to help mentor the young guys. But I don't want to see him playing a lot of minutes. Summer league is where you prove that you can play in the NBA. Ron needs to spending his time working on his shot, his post moves, and his conditioning.

Ron always works on his game during the summers, this is part of that, especially with just staying in shape and playing in some basketball games.

He worked on his jumper last summer, and it was looking nice and he said it felt good, before the time off and before he came here. But obviously the time off hindered his game shape.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
We should have no problem winning the summer league with ron, kmart, garcia and co on the roster.
Well again, on the overall significance scale that's somewhere south of the dance team brackets from a few months back.

Ron's there, and given Monia's defection, there is room for him to get some minutes. But under absolutely no circumstances am I interested in Ron Artest racking up big minutes on our damn summer league team. At a certain point that crosses the line into being selfish -- for many of the kids on that roster it is the only chance they will have to show what they can do, and the only chance we will have to see what they can do to make decisions about them. If Ron plays 35min and in the process Ronnie Price or Justin Williams gets squeezed for minutes, well that just sucks and is a bad play. Totally unnecessary. If he shows up just as a glorified cheerleader playing 15-20min to set a tone + then settles back to cheer the others guys on, that's something else.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I'll do you one better Brick... the ONLY good that can come of Artest playing Sumer leage will happne in practice. The Kids get to play with/against a guy that sets the bar high... a very good thing. If Artest palyes a few min in actual games... no harm.

The improvement Ron made in his individual game from the time the pacers traded for him February of 2001 until he was trade to the Kings in January of 2006 was remarkable. I don't think I've ever seen a player improve as much.

I doubt he plays big minutes, he'll play some, but not hog it all from the kids like a big bully on the single swing set. ;)

he knows the kids gotta prove up.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well again, on the overall significance scale that's somewhere south of the dance team brackets from a few months back.

Ron's there, and given Monia's defection, there is room for him to get some minutes. But under absolutely no circumstances am I interested in Ron Artest racking up big minutes on our damn summer league team. At a certain point that crosses the line into being selfish -- for many of the kids on that roster it is the only chance they will have to show what they can do, and the only chance we will have to see what they can do to make decisions about them. If Ron plays 35min and in the process Ronnie Price or Justin Williams gets squeezed for minutes, well that just sucks and is a bad play. Totally unnecessary. If he shows up just as a glorified cheerleader playing 15-20min to set a tone + then settles back to cheer the others guys on, that's something else.
You don't want Artest to play; you don't want Martin to play.

Sorry, Brick, but I disagree pretty strongly with your assessment of Artest as selfish and Martin as already established.

I have to think that someone within the organization thinks this is a good idea, a way to see how the new might interact with the vets. And I'm personally all for it. If summer league isn't about the title - and on that point we agree - then it is about seeing what new player might fit the best into our plan for the future. I personally trust Geoff Petrie and the new coaching staff will be taking looks at a lot of things during the summer and getting an indication of which players they feel might work out best past the summer.

I like the idea of having him play. Two things stick out at me as being important this summer league - learning how capable Douby is of running the point, which will determines how Muss plays him, if at all, and the other being getting a good evaluation of these big men to see if we can possibly pick out a gem. Although we did put a couple SF's on the summer league team I don't think that is where we are going to be getting someone, and I think that having Artest and Martin playing on the team will help to give it a flow. Artest can play inside the offense very well, and his passing will help get the other guys some easy points, so they can get into a flow and show what they are capable of, whereas playing mostly invitees will at times become a jumbled mess. Just having Artest out there to direct traffic on offense will help us get a better look at the big guys. This will help us see Douby and Price play also. Artest will have no problem getting very good position wherever he wants on the floor, and that with Kevin's cuts will give Price and Douby good targets to pass to, rather than guys who aren't always sure where to be on the floor. Artest can bring the ball up also giving a chance to evaluate Price and Douby's off ball skills too. Overall, I think havign Artest around will really help the team.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Good points.
But do we really wanna evaluate the bigs on offense? We need some D at that position. I'd rather Petrie finds a future Ben Wallace then a Future Brad Miller.
I hope Justin Williams impresses.

My take on Ron Artest participating in the summer leagues is a positive one. Ron is fierce, very competitive, physical we all know that, and Ron will be able to tell through practice, and playing together who is going to display those traits best in the NBA. I think Ron will play like 20-25 minutes at most, and will evaluate the promising Big Men we have in on their work ethic, hustle, mental and physical toughness, among others and tell Petrie who the best 3 undrafted are, and then sign the top 1-2 undrafted players who are on our summer league roster.

I just think he is there for inspiration, to show you can always put in work to get better, even if you are an all star/defensive player of the year in this league. The evaluation of these players through direct contact and competition will allow Ron to give input to the Maloofs/Petrie, and they will take Artests recommendations, bc he is now our Franchise Player. Maybe that is not why he is there, but that is what I think.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
gunks - You evaluate "the bigs" where you can. And even in the summer league you can spot certain defensive tendencies, which might be exactly why having Artest there could be a good thing. You wanna know about defense? I think Artest would be a good person to have looking for potential.

BTW, welcome to the board! Be sure and check out the Lounge and our "welcome to new members" threads.

:D

gunks

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the welcome!

I guess my first post was a bit combatative, but I was just doin the message board thing and voicing my opinion like its the only one that matters :p

I'm just so paranoid about defensive players being passed over because they lack offense! I really shouldnt be though, considering Adelman isnt here anymore.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thanks for the welcome!

I guess my first post was a bit combatative, but I was just doin the message board thing and voicing my opinion like its the only one that matters :p

I'm just so paranoid about defensive players being passed over because they lack offense! I really shouldnt be though, considering Adelman isnt here anymore.
Nah, your first comment wasn't at all combative. Now the Adelman comment...

;) (This means I'm just kidding with you and not finding fault.)

I've been a fan of this team since the very beginning and of the NBA for over 40 years. I think Adelman had a style that took us a very long way. Now we're going to have a different style.

I think people need to give Adelman his due and just look to the future, but maybe that's just me. I remember all too well what it was like BEFORE Rick Adelman became our coach so I'm not about to start dogging him now that he's gone. He may have had his failings - and believe me, Eric Musselman has his, too - but Adelman took our team and us to places we'd never been before.

:D

I think our boy wants, not only to prove everyone wrong, but also...to make an MVP run this year, along with leading our team to a title...elevation my Tru Warier!

I'm not sure if I've said this before but I think Artest playing is a good thing. He's an experienced player and a very good defender, I think he can evaluate the players and see who is the best defender etc. Also it shows a commitment to improve, the guy is always working on his game. I mean if you have a bunch of invited guys playing hard to earn a roster spot that's good and all but they might end up trying to go 1 on 1 too much to show their skills. With Artest/Martin/Garcia/Douby there as NBA calibre players everybody will just try hard and go with the flow of the game so we see who can do what.

Also is Musselman coaching it? If he is atleast he gets an early start with some players.

That's just my opinion and I'd love to know if you guys/gals agree with me or not.

I hope Ron gets DPOY... it'll be between him and Ben Wallace probably.

Unless G-Wall proves himself even more, and doesn't miss many games. Missing a bunch of games and not being proven enough hurt him from getting high on the All-Defense list and a DPOY.

I'm sure Muss will be at the games, but usually an assistant coach does the coaching.