Spurs/Raps trade.. Rasho to Canada

SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have acquired Matt Bonner, Eric Williams and a 2009 second round draft pick from the Toronto Raptors in exchange for Rasho Nesterovic.
“We are excited about the additions of Matt Bonner and Eric Williams,” Spurs General Manager R.C. Buford said. “Bonner is a big guy who has the unique ability of knocking down the outside shot which will help us spread the floor. Williams gives us a steady veteran presence and some added depth at the forward position.”
Bonner, a 6-10 forward, has spent the past two seasons with the Raptors. Last year he appeared in 78 games, averaging 7.5 points and 3.6 rebounds in 21.9 minutes a game while shooting .448 (209-467) from the field, .420 (102-243) from three-point range which tied for 12th in the NBA, and .829 (63-76) from the free throw line. During his rookie season in 2004-05 he shot .533 (247-463) from the field and .424 (39-92) from beyond the arc while scoring 7.3 points a game. For his career the former Florida Gator has appeared in 160 games, averaging 7.3 points and 3.6 rebounds in 20.4 minutes per game.
Williams, an 11-year NBA veteran, played in 28 games for the Raptors last season, averaging 3.3 points and 1.8 rebounds in 12.6 minutes a game. Prior to being traded to Toronto midway through the 2004-05 season, he started in 21 games for the New Jersey Nets, averaging 12.6 points, 4.5 rebounds and 2.0 assists in 35.2 minutes per game. For his career, the 6-8 forward has played in 637 games for five teams (Toronto – 2005-06; New Jersey – 2004-05; Cleveland – 2003-04 and Boston – 1995-97, 1999-2004), averaging 8.8 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.5 assists in 24.5 minutes a game.
Nesterovic joined the Spurs as a free agent in the summer of 2003 after spending five seasons with the Minnesota Timberwolves. During his three seasons with Silver and Black the 7-0 center averaged 6.4 points, 6.0 rebounds and 1.59 blocks while starting in 203 of 232 games. In 2004-05 he helped guide the Spurs to their third NBA Championship. For his career, Nesterovic has appeared in 548 games, averaging 7.0 points, 5.7 rebounds, 1.30 blocks and 1.0 assists in 24.1 minutes per game. “It’s difficult to part with such a class act as Rasho, but in order to get quality you have to give up quality,” added Buford “We want to thank Rasho for his valuable contributions to the organization and the community over the last three years and wish him the best of luck in Toronto.”
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/trade_announcement_060621.html

So, Spurs get rid of Rasho's contract, Raps get another banger and their center. Spurs get a couple okay role players, good hustler and defender in Eric Williams and shooting big in Bonner. Have to wonder if one or both are still around come October though.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
“We are excited about the additions of Matt Bonner and Eric Williams,” Spurs General Manager R.C. Buford said.
Do you think he said this with a straight face?

Be funny if he didn't, it would kinda make his new players feel angry....it would be even funnier if he was laughin his *** off when he said it.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Curious.

Okay, So Williams can come in and keep the defense rolling from the SF position when Bowen leaves the game. But of course he's old too, so not like he is a long term replacement. Could they have made this move in particular because of little old us pummeling them to death with Ron and Bonzi? Williams is a bigger/stronger guy at that position.

Meanwhile the Spurs trade away their #1 center, and their #2 is a F.A. who doesn't want to come back, and who they apparently do not want back.

Does this mean the Spurs are going to be active in the F.A. market trying to get a new center? Pryzbilla maybe?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Curious.

Okay, So Williams can come in and keep the defense rolling from the SF position when Bowen leaves the game. But of course he's old too, so not like he is a long term replacement. Could they have made this move in particular because of little old us pummeling them to death with Ron and Bonzi? Williams is a bigger/stronger guy at that position.

Meanwhile the Spurs trade away their #1 center, and their #2 is a F.A. who doesn't want to come back, and who they apparently do not want back.

Does this mean the Spurs are going to be active in the F.A. market trying to get a new center? Pryzbilla maybe?
That's what I'm thinking, but do they have any cap room besides the MLE?

I liked Williams in his stints with the Celts but he's getting old and creaky at this point even if he is a workhorse, and Bonner seems to be a downgrade over Rasho and Mohammed. But maybe they think they can work a sign and trade swap with Mohammed for Pryz?

Maybe Luis Scola and/or Mahimini are coming over next season, and since they're pretty mcuh set at all the backup positions they can use the full MLE on a center.

Do you think he said this with a straight face?
"We are ecstatic at the acquisition of Mateen Cleaves to our team. We believe he will play an integral part in leading our team in its quest for a championship. We are sorry to see Jon Barry go, but think that we have found the missing piece to our championship puzzle. We will continue to serve our fans, who, in our eyes, are the gold standard."

Curious.

i'm gonna throw up if pryz signs w/ the spurs

This is a total salary dump. I figured that they would take a step back this year, evaluate, and get rid of some of their crappy deals. Barry is next.

Word is they are bringing in a gang of Euros this year.

Last edited:
R

Rome

Well this trade isn't much of a big deal. Rasho seemed to always play good against us though. but how can i even bring that up when our center is named Brad Miller...

Chad Ford reported today in his roundup of trade rumors that the Spurs are interested in Dalembert. I could see a trade for Brent Barry, the rights to Luis Scola and Eric Williams' expiring deal for Dalembert.

Chad Ford reported today in his roundup of trade rumors that the Spurs are interested in Dalembert. I could see a trade for Brent Barry, the rights to Luis Scola and Eric Williams' expiring deal for Dalembert.

If Billy King accepts that deal he is officially retarded. I wouldn't put it past him though.

It's a minor trade but I like it for both teams. Poppovich seems to want to use 4 shooters+Duncan out there and Horry is getting old. All Bonner is good for is his long range shooting. Eric Williams is expiring so they also lose Rasho's contract since Bonner doesn't make much. They're bringing in 2 or 3 Euro guys and probably making a trade+signing so that's good for them.

Toronto needed a real center. Rasho's not some type of star but he's a real center that can block 1-2 shots every game and he'll be able to guard the best frontcourt player so Bosh can concentrade on offense. I think that Bargnani/Aldridge will also probably be able to play center. It makes Bosh's life easier IMO.

As a kings fan I don't really like this deal because it helps the spurs, but as an NBA fan I can see why each team did it.

Buford said that Duncan will be spending more time at center. That the West is going more to small ball. Duncan doesn't play the smaller, quicker PFs like Odom, Amare, Dirk as well on the periemter, he's better manning the paint, staying home against othr teams centers.

Also Buford said the Spurs can't spend so much of their salary at the center position with Duncan. Before they had large salries of Duncan, Rasho and a chunk with Nazr tied up at the interior big position. They were built to stop Shaq and Shaq isn't in the West anymore. The only big center that can play on the blocks and is a major threat in the West besides Duncan now is Yao.

Spurs look like they'll bring over Javtokas who looks to be a strong defender and shot blocker, decent rebounder with little offensive punch if his Euro game translates to the NBA. Maybe thy'll resign Nazr but I doubt it.

I expect that they'll add one or two rotation players, probably one beig a big that will start, with the MLE and with what they have to trade (Barry, Nazr in S&T maybe, rights to Scola maybe). Williams I think will get bought out or traded as an expiring contract.