Draft Hype

Not into Sergio much for us... but I definitely like us working out Blalock and Adelke!

Both have had good work-outs and camp so far, from what I've read. Blalock seems like a damn good fit for a PG pick.

Last edited:
Not into Sergio much for us... but I definitely like us working out Blalock and Adelke!

Both have had good work-outs and camp so far, from what I've read. Blalock seems like a damn good fit for a PG pick.

Yeah, I'm really starting to like Blalock from what I've read about him. Not a HR type pick, but he could be exactly the role player we need.

I'm still a best player available guy. Almost all of the worst draft moves in history have come as a result of drafting for need. In a weak draft at the #19 you're lucky to find someone who can even play in the league at any position, let alone the position you just happen to need that year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Good point. I just wish it would BE draft day already... unfortunately, I think there's something still going on that some NBA fans are still interested in.

;)

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
A big who can rebound and defend or a point who can direct, run and shoot. Arrgghhh. I want both. Maybe we have the point in Ronnie Price? one more summer league should tell us that. Stay tuned for inputs on Friday night July 7, the Kings summer league team 2nd game.

Reason why I don't see us drafting points like Farmar/Sergio is because of their defense. As were going in a more defensive minded direction, and PGs like Rondo/Lowry/Blalock are athletic and can defend well. Price fits that too, just I don't think Ronnie will be a starter, but a nice bencher and possible capable starter. I like what he's shown and that Petrie has been high on him.

All of them can score well (Lowry's jumper was improved in camps and work-outs), and of course direct. Rondo's jumper will come as he progresses, similar for Lowry but to a lesser extent, I think.

if we dont trade our pick i still want sergio rodriguez....
I think 'Spanish Chocolate' is just an okay option for us, not sure how he'd fit any sort of immediate need, though. I think a guy like Diaz, who is bigger and more athletic and plays some pretty good D might be a better option if we're drafting a PG with this pick. I kind of think we might not use this pick for PG though, something tells me if Hilton Armstrong is there Petrie would take him, and then in turn sign Bobby Jackson to fill our guard needs. So stat tuned folks...if we DO draft a position other than PG, that I think would be a sure sign that Bobby Jackson is probably coming back to our team.

Reason why I don't see us drafting points like Farmar/Sergio is because of their defense.
Exactly my thoughts. If Bibby stays Kings need a guy who can run offense decently and defend. Farmar and Chocolate? Very solid at running the team but on defense? They are probably better than Mike. That's all I can say for sure.

So, yeah, welcome Hilton Armstrong. :)

Also to those who say that this draft is weak and you always have to take BPA: this draft is pretty weak at the top but Kings pick much later where another feature of this draft kicks in - after 18 players are taken you still have another 15-20 that are pretty hard to separate from each other. So a specific team need may make any of these guys a BPA.

I'm still a best player available guy. Almost all of the worst draft moves in history have come as a result of drafting for need. In a weak draft at the #19 you're lucky to find someone who can even play in the league at any position, let alone the position you just happen to need that year.
My sentiments exactly :)

Exactly my thoughts. If Bibby stays Kings need a guy who can run offense decently and defend. Farmar and Chocolate? Very solid at running the team but on defense? They are probably better than Mike. That's all I can say for sure.

Also to those who say that this draft is weak and you always have to take BPA: this draft is pretty weak at the top but Kings pick much later where another feature of this draft kicks in - after 18 players are taken you still have another 15-20 that are pretty hard to separate from each other. So a specific team need may make any of these guys a BPA.
I couldnt agree more...this draft is pretty strong all around, but is tantalizing from picks 15-30. I think that Morrison, Tyrus Thomas, Marcus Williams and company in the top 10 are intriguing, but the bottom half of the 1st round is equally attractive with talent. It's good to be at the 19th spot, IMO. I know we worked out Armstrong last month, and I was a big fan of his this last year at UConn, and hope GP is thinking the same thing I am in wanting us to snatch him up. 10 pts/7rebs/3.1 blocks this last year in only 27 mins. a game isnt too shabby at all in the Big East Conf. He's a great defender, especially from the weak-side and a hard worker on both ends of the court that knows how to handle the ball and make his way to the basket.

I am still not a Hilton Armstrong fan. Aside from the long statistical posts from a previous thread showing why he'll probably be a bust, he meaused shorter than advertised at the official measurement and then this from NBADraft.net:

"Ukraine forward Oleksiy Pecherov had a very strong workout against Hilton Armstrong, one scout described it as Pecherov absolutely destroyed Armstrong. With teams in the late lottery intrigued, look for Pecherov to go somewhere in the 12-18 range."

Unless this is some serious smoke-blowing its another bad sign for Armstrong. Especially considering how we know that every decent big man he guarded in college absolutaly destroyed him.

I am still not a Hilton Armstrong fan. Aside from the long statistical posts from a previous thread showing why he'll probably be a bust, he meaused shorter than advertised at the official measurement and then this from NBADraft.net:

"Ukraine forward Oleksiy Pecherov had a very strong workout against Hilton Armstrong, one scout described it as Pecherov absolutely destroyed Armstrong. With teams in the late lottery intrigued, look for Pecherov to go somewhere in the 12-18 range."

Unless this is some serious smoke-blowing its another bad sign for Armstrong. Especially considering how we know that every decent big man he guarded in college absolutaly destroyed him.
1. You probably read an article on DX where they mentioned that "he meaused shorter than advertised" when in fact he measured at 6'9.5" barefoot. He just was in thin shoes and measured at 6'10.25" with them. Give him normal for bigmen 1.25" or 1.5" shoes and he magicly becomes as tall "as advertised". Also he measured at very solid 9'1" standing reach.
2. If you follow draft.net closely you must have read an article where they denied this rumor stating that Pecherov and Armstrong were equally impressive in that workout. Not sure why they still haven't changed the original article.
3. Shelden Williams was destroyed much more by every NBA wannabe.

Last edited:
Hart showed he was a solid, tenacious defender with us ultimately through-out the season. Anyone who didn't see that was just concentrating on his lack of offense. Petrie got him because of his season in Charlotte, but he also got much more oppurtunities and minutes there. Along with it being a different system than Rick's, and of course a new team. Overall he had a disappointing season, with just a handful of games a nice showing.

Regardless, I highly doubt we're going to have a rookie PG back-up Bibby. Especially Sergio. It'll be a guy with some time in the league and brings what we need there and what we thought Hart was going to be or more.

(pasted from before) If we're going to draft a PG, can't see it being Farmar/Sergio because of their defense. As were going in a more defensive minded direction, and PGs like Rondo/Lowry/Blalock are athletic and can defend well. All of them can score well (Lowry's jumper was improved in camps and work-outs), and of course direct. Rondo's jumper will come as he progresses, similar for Lowry but to a lesser extent, I think.

Last edited:
A

AriesMar27

we need starters that can defend not bench players... because its the starters that get the bulk of the minutes... i doubt that anyone cares about how hart guards beno udrich.... its bibby and parker that matter... no one cares about hart guarding eddie house.... maybe devis harris but he gets a lot of minutes....

having an offensive minded back up pg isnt the end of the world.... especially if we can get a defensive minded center and/or back up....

Well, unless Bibby is being traded, we should have a back-up to compliment him. It only makes sense. Hence why we had Bobby, and what we thought we were getting in Hart. Along with a big man starter who is defensive-minded, yes.

There are plenty of guys out there who bring what we need at back-up PG and can be had; Duhon/Banks/Bell/B-Jax/maybe Claxton/Knight/Delk/Lue. All of them can defend, and are at least solid on offense. I doubt it'd be a rookie, but if so, he'd at least be able to defend.

Obviously getting a general upgrade over Hart is the goal, but getting one who compliments Bibby and has some offense is first. Don't know if there any non-defending, offensive-minded PGs available. House is gonna stay with Phoenix, I'd think.

Last edited:
yeah because that jason hart experiment worked wonders.....
Jason Hart only cost us a second round pick and quite frankly I thought he played really good at the end of the season and really picked up the team defensively. Every time I read about Rodriguez I hear "abused" mentioned right before or after defensively.

I would rather take my lumps with the best big available then with a point guard who is described as Spanish Chocolate and may not even play here next year.

Last edited:
Jason Hart only cost us a second round pick and quite frankly I thought he played really good at the end of the season and really picked up the team defensively. Every time I read about Rodriguez I hear "abused" mentioned right before or after defensively.

I would rather take my lumps with the best big available then with a point guard who is described as Spanish Chocolate and may not even play here next year.
Indeed and agreed ^

Didn't even think about the leaving-overseas possibility.

Last edited:
A

AriesMar27

we dont need a player that does what bibby doesnt do.... we need a player that can keep the team going while bibby is on the bench... someone who cant help the team score....

hart couldnt do that and his defense didnt make up for it....

Alright Aries... What I said, and as have others, is what we need at back-up PG. I don't see what other direction there is to go in for that, unless we can't get one of those guys, of course.

I don't think Hart under Rick is relevant to who we're going to have at back-up PG now. Hart didn't get much time for most the year, came into a completely new team and system, and was out of the rotation a couple times (injury, Garcia). Overall a disappointing season, not all his part.

Since I've said who I'd like to see at back-up PG based on what is needed, and why.. Aries, who would you like to see us go after for back-up PG?

Another draft possibility, if Petrie were nervous about re-signing Bonzi, would be to draft PJ Tucker, the second coming of Bonzi.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't think, however, that Petrie is at all nervous about re-signing Bonzi. He's the one who brought him here in the first place. And, quite possibly, may actually be able to get back the main piece - Bobby J - he had to trade away to get him.

I think that's pretty crafty.

;)