KG to the Kings??? (merged)

I think, regardless of the exact breakdown, what any move that teams Garnett with Artest does is bring us right back into the conversation. And if its Garnett, Artest, Bonzi, we're in the conversation. If its Garnett, Artest, Bibby, we're in the conversation. But no matter how you cut it, we are suddenly a very scary team. Not one that cannot fail -- indeed the personalities would always be something to watch. But a true contender that can match our core with anybody's core and still have a number of talented players around the edges in support.
Good point. I wonder if KG were to come to Sac if Ron would be able to take a seat offensively and focus primarily on D. You know he loves to shoot.

I think, regardless of the exact breakdown, what any move that teams Garnett with Artest does is bring us right back into the conversation. And if its Garnett, Artest, Bonzi, we're in the conversation. If its Garnett, Artest, Bibby, we're in the conversation. But no matter how you cut it, we are suddenly a very scary team. Not one that cannot fail -- indeed the personalities would always be something to watch. But a true contender that can match our core with anybody's core and still have a number of talented players around the edges in support.
Well said. And for a good 3+ years too (personalities allowing). No matter what we'd be a whole hell of a lot more interesting.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I can see Adelman shaking his head and saying "Why not while I was there?" if a trade for KG goes down right after he's let go....

Not bringing up Rick to discuss that issue again, but if the trade does go down Rick missed out by >< much.

Good point. I wonder if KG were to come to Sac if Ron would be able to take a seat offensively and focus primarily on D. You know he loves to shoot.
That's a good point. KG, Artest, and Bibby all like their fair share of shots. A good way to give all 3 of them enough looks would be to fill out the roster with role players who are good at rebounding, passing, defense, and can hit open jumpers instead of having more scorers on the team.

Kind of like the Lakers when they had 2 superstars, surrounded by Horry, George, Harper and the like. The difference being we would have three stars rather than two superstars. I think Geoff could get a roster together that would make it work! :D

I can see Adelman shaking his head and saying "Why not while I was there?" if a trade for KG goes down right after he's let go....

Not bringing up Rick to discuss that issue again, but if the trade does go down Rick missed out by >< much.
True, however, I think Rick was fired in the minds of the Maloofs when the Sonics destroyed the Kings last year in the playoffs... I do not really think there would be much he could do short of taking the team this year far into the playoffs to save his job.

Warhawk

Staff member
Adelman did have webber while he was here. :rolleyes:
Yes, and if it wasn't for missed FT and injuries, we'd probably have 1-2 championship banners hanging in the ARCO rafters right now.

This wasn't a reference to the older teams, this was a comment about him being let go recently and the discussion of getting KG so soon afterwards. I think Rick could have made good use of a KG as well.

No way does this trade go down btw. Every team has been rumored to be getting KG, I just don't see this one going down. If it does go down that C-Webb trade looks like gold, because the Kings did indeed get movable pieces that was said to be the reason for the trade. It's just that 1.I don't see the Wolves trading to the same conference 2.Not for Brad Miller, Kenny, and Boni. 3.Bonzi would have to agree 4.KG would have to agree Those are alot of factors

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No way does this trade go down btw. Every team has been rumored to be getting KG, I just don't see this one going down. If it does go down that C-Webb trade looks like gold, because the Kings did indeed get movable pieces that was said to be the reason for the trade. It's just that 1.I don't see the Wolves trading to the same conference 2.Not for Brad Miller, Kenny, and Boni. 3.Bonzi would have to agree 4.KG would have to agree Those are alot of factors

1) I doubt they really care THAT much. Have their own problems. Have to take the best deal they can get. And since it will be a while before they are chasing a title again, KG isn't exactly standing in their way of anything either.

2) The Bibby alternative (with sweeteners perhaps) sounds more likely as...

3) if its Bibby it does not depend on Bonzi resigning

4) KG agreeing would be almost a given if he wants out -- we become a contender. As an aside, he does NOT have to agree. He doesn't have a no trade clause, just a trade kicker. Could make it harder to trade him, but not stop it. Nor, as I mentioned, would he have much reason to given Minny's prospects for the remainder of his core years.

Couple of posts from Wolves' fan sights

"The KG rumours dont bother me, but one this ridiculous irriates me because you just never know about McHale!!!!
Sure Miller is top 5 C, & Bonzi (when motivated) can be a nice bit piece & KThomas??? CMON
McHale would literally be shot by a disgruntled fan IMO"

"Now that I take a look at the salaries of those 3 Kings players (Bonzi would probably be signed to at least a 4 year deal worth around $7 million per) I think the person who came up with this rumor should be dragged into the street, savagely beaten, then tarred and feathered."

http://rubechat.kfan.com/forums/thread/566419.aspx

"From a talent standpoint, it's not BAD but what good is it for us?

It essentially keeps us as a mediocre entity for the next 5 years and doesn't help us rebuild.

Miller is a very nice center, Thomas a nice guy off the bench, and Wells would be the two guard. It's not a bad trade but again, it needs to be the first step in a multi-step process if it even begins to help the Wolves.

Brandon Roy (at #6)
Kenny Thomas
Brad Miller
Bonzi Wells
Kyle Lowry or Rajon Rondo (at #19)"

"As for the SAC trade, eh... If we didn't have to give up our number six pick, got their #19 and maybe a future first... who knows. The future first would be key to the trade though. I highly doubt SAC would do that, however. They would have to take more crap off our hands though...I'd say at least Blount, Hudson, or Jaric. Brad Miller is signed for 12M per year through 2010 and Kenny Thomas is signed through 2010 for 7-8.5M per year. Taking on those contracts without getting rid of some of our crap would be crippling to our rebuilding process. That's my take on it"

http://www.twolvescentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2819

BTW, most of their fans think the trade is complete baloney, but thought these takes were interesting or funny.

The source is very solid in his field. Much more so than 90% of the print journalists. Its just his field is not normally trade rumors for established players. Indeed, his focus/angle would likely be on the idea of the #19 being involved moreso than the rest. But that's what actually makes it MORE interesting. More inclined to believe he heard something than if the same rumor came down from Sam Smith or Chad Ford or somebody who feels the need to start 10 rumors a week as some sort of quota.

As an aside, we have no idea at all what KG has or has not demanded/said behind closed doors. That's where I would expect any such demand to come about given the longstanding relationship.
If you were KG, would you want to hang around? He has seen things go from mediocre to bad to the point where he did not even suit up for the final few regular season games, because he had a sore knee, the team was eliminated from playoff contention, and so why even bother???

He is a real trooper if he is willing to commit the rest of his career to the T'Wolves.

Only the wolves could find a way to select a mediocre veteran with a bad contract with a draft pick.:D
I know their big move last off-season was sign Jaro Karic (aka Hedo-Lite) to a huge bloated contract....talk about a totally irrelevant non-impact do-nothing-but-maybe-help-you-lose-semi-respectably type player!

Get real past 30 is 31 ...32 etc....right now he's 30 year's old and will be until next may 19th
lol

i'm afraid you're the one in need of a reality check, doc. :p

every day kevin garnett spends on this earth, from here on out, he is just that many days over the age of 30. he will not be "30" next may 18th. that's not how it works. he will be "30 and 364 days old." granted, nobody talks like that, but age makes a difference in the nba, and its unnecessary to delude ourselves about the age of a player who is not yet--and likely never will be--a sacramento king.

lol

i'm afraid you're the one in need of a reality check, doc. :p

every day kevin garnett spends on this earth, from here on out, he is just that many days over the age of 30. he will not be "30" next may 18th. that's not how it works. he will be "30 and 364 days old." granted, nobody talks like that, but age makes a difference in the nba, and its unnecessary to delude ourselves about the age of a player who is not yet--and likely never will be--a sacramento king.

All it means is he is 30 and x amount of days. It's still on 30 on a path to 31. People aren't an age for only one day. YOu don't turn 30, then the next day you aren't. You are 30 and x amount of days old. It's still 30, until 365 days completes and you then become 31. :p

Forgetting the petty battle over semantics for a second... KG's contract may be for a lot of $$$, but it only runs through 2009. Whether you think he's 30 or past 30, we'd still only have him under contract until he's 33/past 33. Perhaps barely past his prime, but hardly long in the tooth.

Taking bum contracts

It's been mentioned that altlhough Brad, Bibby and the 19th pick for Garnett works straight up, the Kings might have to sweeten the pot by taking back bad contracts.

If the Kings traded:

PG Mike Bibby $12,500,000 signed thru 2008/09
C Brad Miller $ 9,625,000 signed thru 2009/10
PF Kenny Thomas $ 6,720,312 signed thru 2009/10
19th pick
Total $28,845,312

In exchange for:

PG Marko Jaric $ 5,525,000 signed thru 2010/11
C Mark Blount $ 6,737,500 signed thru 2008/09
PF Kevin Garnett $20,000,000 signed thru 2008/09

Total $32,262,500

Minny would take a major downgrade at PF but upgrades at both the C and PG positions. They would also be getting rid of two bad contracts in exchange for one. According to HoopsHypes figures this would leave them at just under $52 million plus two first round draft picks. They would have no reason to hold back on using their MLE since they would be well under tax threshold. Their line-up:

C - Brad Miller, Eddie Griffin(?)
PF- Kenny Thomas, Mark Madsen
SF- Ricky Davis, Trenton Hassell
SG- Rasheed McCants,
PG - Mike Bibby, Troy Hudson

Besides yuck, would begin their rebuilding process.

Kings line-up:
C - Mark Blount, Vitaly Potapenko
PF - Kevin Garnett, SAR, Corlis Williamson (hated putting 4 in SF)
SF - Ron Artest, Francisco Garcia, Sergey Monya
SG - Bonzi Wells, Kevin Martin
PG - Marko Jaric, Ronnie Price, Jason Hart

It puts the Kings in luxery tax hell and other than trading secondary/expiring contracts, would probably mean not using the MLE. Would they do it? Would you?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Would I? No. I most definitely would not. I don't care if it is Kevin Garnett. Taking Jaric and Blount AND lgetting rid of KT's contract don't make losing Bibby, Brad and the #19 pick palatable.

One of the main reasons I've wanted Garnett to come to the Kings is because he's exactly the type of 4/5 Mike Bibby is suited to complement. If Bibby's gone and we bring Jaric and Blount with Garnett, we're simply the Timberwolves with Artest and Bonzi. And while that's tempting, I wouldn't do it.

It puts the Kings in luxery tax hell and other than trading secondary/expiring contracts, would probably mean not using the MLE. Would they do it? Would you?
No. KG is GREAT, but I won't let Bibby go. (Bonzi? if possible?) Moreover with those huge money? I think Jaric is not so bad, even he is somewhat overpaid. Maybe he can play as PG and SG. Actually I hoped for Kings to sign him at 'reasonable' salary last summer.

Bibby-Martin-Artest-KG-Blount
(Bench : Jaric PG-SG, Garcia SG-SF, Rahim PF-C)

Looks good, however, it's a very EXPENSIVE team - not realistic team -, which use Jaric as sixth man. :eek:

Last edited:
One of the main reasons I've wanted Garnett to come to the Kings is because he's exactly the type of 4/5 Mike Bibby is suited to complement. If Bibby's gone and we bring Jaric and Blount with Garnett, we're simply the Timberwolves with Artest and Bonzi. And while that's tempting, I wouldn't do it.
I agree. That sounds like Sacramento timberwolves or Minnesota Kings. :cool:

One of the main reasons I've wanted Garnett to come to the Kings is because he's exactly the type of 4/5 Mike Bibby is suited to complement.
You can bet Petrie knows this as well. Geoff wouldn't pull the trigger on a KG trade if it involves Bibby, you can pretty much assume outright.

You can bet Petrie knows this as well. Geoff wouldn't pull the trigger on a KG trade if it involves Bibby, you can pretty much assume outright.

I hope that you are right about that. I really think that losing Mike would not be good for us. I would LOVE to see Bibby and KG together!

Bricklayer

Would they do it? Would you?
If that's what it took, of course I would. Not really eagerly, but Jaric + Blount are actually of marginal utility + you get the centerpiece you are after.

Assuming you brought back Bonzi, + further assuming you still go out and get a FA (and if that's an issue maybe you dump Pot on them as well as an ender), you still field:

C - Blount
PF - KG
SF- Artest
OG- Bonzi
PG- Jaric

6th- SAR
7th- Martin
8th- Garcia

others: Corliss, Potapenko, Hart, Price

which leaves you really in need of that big banging shotblocking type center, but otherwise in damn good shape. Jaric's Pg limitations are covered up with KG and Artest doing the majority of the ball handling in the half court. You've got two All-Defense type guys at the 3 & 4, and you've got a long rangy group of 1s, 2s, and 3s that could cause real havoc. Bench also looks pretty potent with both Kevin and SAR there. Add Pryz there fro instance and see what happens.

Bricklayer

Jaric is actually not a bad three point shooter (or had been before last year). Kevin can ht the shot. Keep waiting for Cisco to hit it. KG is a nice spacer at PF actually.

In any case, a minor achilles. Then again, one you would ascribe to the Miami Heat as well. They seem to be doing ok.

Important thing is that team would whip our current squad, so you make the deal and are closer than you were. The increidble size and length everywhere but C is especially interesting. No rotation player smaller than 6'7"? Like I say, get me that big center for 20-25 min a night and we might have the biggest team in the league.

Warhawk

Staff member
If that's what it took, of course I would. Not really eagerly, but Jaric + Blount are actually of marginal utility + you get the centerpiece you are after.

Assuming you brought back Bonzi, + further assuming you still go out and get a FA (and if that's an issue maybe you dump Pot on them as well as an ender), you still field:

C - Blount
PF - KG
SF- Artest
OG- Bonzi
PG- Jaric

6th- SAR
7th- Martin
8th- Garcia

others: Corliss, Potapenko, Hart, Price

which leaves you really in need of that big banging shotblocking type center, but otherwise in damn good shape. Jaric's Pg limitations are covered up with KG and Artest doing the majority of the ball handling in the half court. You've got two All-Defense type guys at the 3 & 4, and you've got a long rangy group of 1s, 2s, and 3s that could cause real havoc. Bench also looks pretty potent with both Kevin and SAR there. Add Pryz there fro instance and see what happens.
You know, I might almost consider that plan as well.

I haven't watched the 'wolves enough to know whether the other two play well enough to pull the trigger on it, though.

First I don't know if I would be happy with that team going forward. Sure we have Artest and KG, but I am not sure how well they would work together. Although I think in theory it could work because KG is mostly a perimeter player, but I thought Ron wanted to be the "guy"??? In this scenario he is basically in the same one he was in with Jermaine O'neal.

If we could get KG without giving up Bibby (which I think is unlikely in reality) I would have do it, but I am not so sure the other way.

I'm in the "would do it" camp. I just have no use for Brad. And it will cost Bibby to get some chump to take Brad.

But heck, if push came to shove I would put Artest and Bonzi on the table frankly. These are guys who have behaved themselves for exactly half a season each so far... buy low and sell high - their value has never been and may never be higher.

But anyway I like Whozit's scenario. No emotional ties to Brad at all and you can't get a superstar without it hurting a little bit (Bibby). A KG, Artest, Bonzi core is the pearl of great price as far as I'm concerned. A KG, Miller, Bibby core could work too if coach can get Miller to do some strength and conditioning work.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
But heck, if push came to shove I would put Artest and Bonzi on the table frankly. These are guys who have behaved themselves for exactly half a season each so far... buy low and sell high - their value has never been and may never be higher.
You might, but I'm willing to bet the Maloofs wouldn't.