Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
But I am assuming that this would not close the door on a Huerter for DFS trade, correct? DFS makes slightly less than Huerter and for the same length of years. He would seem a much better fit anyway, would cost less draft capital, and would give you a very balanced bench, with options like McLauglin, Carter, and Monk at the guard spots, Lyles, DFS and McDermott at forward, and Len and Robinson up front.
Not from our side, we can always trade for less salary. The Nets are also hard capped at the first apron, but they would appear to have enough room to absorb the difference between DFS and KH's salaries.

Not from our side, we can always trade for less salary. The Nets are also hard capped at the first apron, but they would appear to have enough room to absorb the difference between DFS and KH's salaries.
I'm pretty sure we can use the mid level exception to trade into. I believe we are about $11 or $12 million below the first apron (where we are hard capped).

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I'm pretty sure we can use the mid level exception to trade into. I believe we are about $11 or $12 million below the first apron (where we are hard capped).
The Spotrac numbers have us only $4.9M under the first apron, without including the McDermott signing (so really, more like $2.8M or so, depending on the size of the contract). These numbers look correct to me. We are far too close to the apron to usefully trade into the MLE. DFS is at $14.9M so the MLE ($12.8M) is not big enough for him anyway.

The Spotrac numbers have us only $4.9M under the first apron, without including the McDermott signing (so really, more like $2.8M or so, depending on the size of the contract). These numbers look correct to me. We are far too close to the apron to usefully trade into the MLE. DFS is at $14.9M so the MLE ($12.8M) is not big enough for him anyway.
I thought that was what the Kings were in relation to the luxury tax. The first apron is almost $9 million more.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I think I figured out the disconnect. If you add up the contracts of Terry Tayler, Skal, Boogie Ellis, Orlando Robinson and Brodrick Thomas, you get around $10 million. I think most of all of those are unguaranteed.
Well, that sends me down a bit of a rabbit hole - and I don't really have the answer.

They DO include Orlando Robinson, who is on a (partially guaranteed) NBA contract for his full $2.09M.

By their own tables, I don't think they're including Taylor/Skal/Boogie/Thomas in their calculations. They give those players a cap hit of $0 because they are on Exhibit 10 contracts.

If I add up all the salaries including Robinson, I get ~$165.0M. Spotrac's active roster is given as $169.7M, and I can't account for the $4.7M difference. ...Actually, I think I can. Guess how much McDaniels was making? $4.7M. I think their code is still adding in McDaniels' salary even though he's not listed.

They also are including cap holds for McGee and Ford, which comes up to $3.95M in their numbers, but this can go away.

So: assuming $2.09M for McDermott and ignoring the cap holds, which can go away if needed, our current salary would appear to be $167.1M.

This means we are currently under the luxury tax, which starts at $170.8M.

Our Apron number is different than our cap number because we have $3.5M in unlikely bonuses - these get included in Apron numbers but not cap numbers, so our Apron number would appear to be $170.6M, and the first apron hard cap is at $178.1M.

Edit: The numbers I used for the team cap number were originally calculated for the apron calculations and deliberately included the $3.5M in unlikely bonuses, but I forgot to subtract that out when reverting to the cap number. All numbers (and one major conclusion) have been adjusted accordingly.

Also, Spotrac, what's the point of having a website that makes all these calculations for us if you can't get the numbers right and I just have to calculate it all out anyway?

Last edited:
Well, that sends me down a bit of a rabbit hole - and I don't really have the answer.

They DO include Orlando Robinson, who is on a (partially guaranteed) NBA contract for his full $2.09M.

By their own tables, I don't think they're including Taylor/Skal/Boogie/Thomas in their calculations. They give those players a cap hit of $0 because they are on Exhibit 10 contracts.

If I add up all the salaries including Robinson, I get ~$168.5M. Spotrac's active roster is given as $169.7M, and I can't account for the $1.2M difference.

They also are including cap holds for McGee and Ford, which comes up to $3.95M and is a major source of the disconnect, it's that $1.2M I can't account for. I checked the numbers for another team and it was dead on, so I don't know why their addition is weird here. I'm going to assume it's a glitch or something?

So: assuming $2.09M for McDermott and ignoring the cap holds, which can go away if needed, our current salary would appear to be $170.6M.

This means we are currently JUUUUUUST under the luxury tax, which starts at $170.8M

Our Apron number is different than our cap number because we have $3.5M in unlikely bonuses - these get included in Apron numbers but not cap numbers, so our Apron number would appear to be $174.1M, and the first apron hard cap is at $178.1M.
The $1.2 million might be the difference in actual salary and what counts against the cap. Players like Len are making $3.3 million, but only $2.1 million counts against the cap.