NFL 2024-2025 Thread

My very unbiased opinion of this, being Cowboys fan, is that I believe you HAVE to give Shanahan a chance to go through the early stages, AT MINIMUM, of this upcoming "retool" that everyone seems to agree (myself included) that the Niners have to undertake. If he can't show signs of extreme improvement within the first couple of season of the "retool", then, and only then, do you bring down the axe.
Besides the Offensive line which is fairly substancial, the 49ers are set on offense, but the defense is a mess, and its showing. The secondary needs an overhaul, Brown gets burned too often while Hufanga has yet to mke it back to better form, Yiadom is a total liability and shouldn't be starting while Ward has taken a step back early this season. Only Lennoir is playing decently. And LBs are relying on Greenlaw coming back from serious injury, - Fowles and Campbell just don't cut it - they don't have the foot speed and look sily in pass coverage.. Teams are recognizing due to the overhaul mediocrity of LB core, they can run and short pass with ease on the 49ers all game - as Warner cant cover for everything.

Kingz19

Hall of Famer
Feels like the first time in a couple of years that a Deebo running back play wasn’t stopped for a loss

And Aiyuk remembers how to catch!

49ers win this game, but its a bit ugly. Really poor interception decision for Purdy into double coverage who was emboldened by Jennings great catch just a few plays earlier.

That Kittle TD catch was amazing.

Purdy looked like prime Rodgers for 2 1/2 quarters there.

Aiyuk didn't have the best game but he showed that his hands are back.

Watching Bosa get so close all game only to finally get the sack in the closing minutes was pretty entertaining.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's actual posts on this forum that we should let this guy walk. Like somebody took time out of their day, typed a post and hit send on that.

Sheesh
I mean, the guy is ONLY leading the NFL in passing yards without CMC and a substandard Aiyuk. I'm guessing they've moved up after this win, but after last week I know the 49ers receivers had the worst average separation in the league.

I still wouldn't pay purdy $60+ million a year. Doesn't mean I don't think he's not a good qb, I just don't think he warrants mahomes type money. Sorry but shannahan has proven he can get a ton out of a jimmy type QB. Look at what Darnold is doing in minnesota. Shannahan called darnold "the next steve young" and lo and behold look what he's doing. The niners have been burned by huge contracts this off season. Im betting they offer purdy a decent contract and if he walks, oh well. Shannahan will get another chance to coach up another baker mayfield type QB all the while building up the rest of the roster.

49er fans are notorious for way overvaluing their players. I just can't see another team giving purdy a huge contract, but if they do.......Hello Daniel Jones. Or Trevor Lawrence. Dak Prescott. Justin Herbert. Jalen Hurts. Lamar Jackson. Aaron Rodgers. How many huge contracts have to be signed before teams finally stop doing it? These teams all regret offering these giant contracts It hardly ever works out unless you are signing a Mahomes.
Seems kinda common sense to me. DON'T DO IT.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I still wouldn't pay purdy $60+ million a year. Doesn't mean I don't think he's not a good qb, I just don't think he warrants mahomes type money. Sorry but shannahan has proven he can get a ton out of a jimmy type QB. Look at what Darnold is doing in minnesota. Shannahan called darnold "the next steve young" and lo and behold look what he's doing. The niners have been burned by huge contracts this off season. Im betting they offer purdy a decent contract and if he walks, oh well. Shannahan will get another chance to coach up another baker mayfield type QB all the while building up the rest of the roster.

49er fans are notorious for way overvaluing their players. I just can't see another team giving purdy a huge contract, but if they do.......Hello Daniel Jones. Or Trevor Lawrence. Dak Prescott. Justin Herbert. Jalen Hurts. Lamar Jackson. Aaron Rodgers. How many huge contracts have to be signed before teams finally stop doing it? These teams all regret offering these giant contracts It hardly ever works out unless you are signing a Mahomes.
he’s literally outplayed Mahomes since coming into the league.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Shanahan's record with QBs on the 49ers
Beathard: 2-10
Mullens: 5-11
Brian Hoyer: 0-6
Trey Lance: 2-2
Jimmy: 38-17 (0.691)
Brock Purdy: 19-6 (0.760)

The combined record of all non-Jimmy/Brock QBs is 9-29 (0.237)

Shanahan is a good play caller, but he has NOT shown that he can be successful with any QB, including two guys that he had a hand in drafting (Beathard and Lance).

And what did it cost the 49ers to get a "Jimmy type QB"? It cost them a 2nd round pick, and THEN they made him the highest paid player in the NFL after five games.

Last edited:
he’s literally outplayed Mahomes since coming into the league.
Who is mahomes doing it with? Literally no one. Plus his teams undefeated. And they are working on a three peat. Please don't compare Brock to mahomes who may go down as the best QB to ever play the game. Its just not fair to brock at all.

Teams that pay their QB's max money always tend to regret it, except with mahomes. There was a reason why the last couple of years was the best chance for the 49ers to win. Because they weren't paying an outrageous sum to their QB and they were able to spend on everything else. My vote is to continue that. Look what shannahan did with jimmy who everyone now agrees was an extremely flawed QB. He took jimmy and this team to the exact same spot he was at with Brock. He can do it again with another Darnold, Mayfield type QB. If they max out brock it'll be back to mediocrity.

It's ok man, you don't have to keep showing how clueless you are on Brock.

Virtually every stat on earth and just watching him play the damn game shows he's an elite, young, ascending QB that wins football games. He's taken ANOTHER step forward this year and has been ever better than last year. And because he's not the GOAT, you want to let him walk?

Purdy far and away is the best QB this franchise has had since Young. Nobody is even close. Want to wait another 30 years for a shot at getting a championship caliber QB? I don't.