Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

I think Kings did get worse defensively, but slightly. But if Ellis is in rotation all year, + Len too as backup defense still has potential to be as good as last season (even if regression from end of season defense)

Barnes is slightly a better defender than DeRozan it seems
Call Mitchell & McLaughlin a wash
Edwards to McDaniels prob a wash too
Everyone else doesn't really matter cause they don't expect to be in rotation much ...
Barnes had terrible defensive numbers.

Defensive and offensive play style might indeed be the main factors here. Look at the Suns in the 2000's. They were always smart enough to load up on defensive guys but far from a great defensive team they ever were. Over the years they had Marion, Kurt Thomas, James Jones, Raja Bell, Brian Grant and so on. Some of which weren't just good defenders but great defenders in some ways. The Suns never even got into the top 10 on defense though. Why? Well, because like the Kings last season they relied on pace and "spray 3's", lol. It's possible personnel, while important, will be a far 2nd to the Kings ability to generate shots later in the clock. The good news on defense is though that with some of the additions now Brown can actually play some of his help defense with guards. The difference of Davion or Huerter playing down on help vs. Keon and Devin Carter when he returns is going to be lifesaver for coach Brown. Carter not only helps he can actually block some shots at the rim.

It's not even completely 3's being the issue either although that was a result of what the Kings lacked offensively. The Celtics last season took a metric ****ton of 3's. The difference? They were 23rd in pace. They were able to control the pace of the game which has always been in favor of the team who is able to control clock rather than run teams out of the gym and is forced to rely on shots before defenses are set. That or big drawn out complicated movements and sets to gain separation from defenders. The teams at the top have always had crop of core defenders and players that can create out of the triple threat in isolation. The Kings on paper have that now. This is in Browns hands now along with Fox and Domas because this will prove if they are capable of being your superstars.

OUT
Davion (Strong point of attack defender, very limited in most other aspects)
Sasha (Tried hard on defense at least but was also pretty much guaranteed to get embarrassed at least twice a game)
HB (Solid against other slower old guys and at least tried to play defense but was largely our worst defender for the entire season)
Javale (Good for one or two ridiculous blocks a game. Too old to move laterally on that end anymore)
Duarte (solid team defender. Capable of guarding 1-3. Okay, this is actually a fairly respectable loss)
Kessler (Hypothetical defense player of the year that just could never really put it all together.)

IN
DDR (not a great defender but a solid, unspectacular defensive guy who can guard wings better than HB can at this point in their careers)
Carter (Strong defender/defensive playmaker. the best rebounding guard in college basketball.)
Robinson (solid "Heat Culture" guy who will bust his ass on defense even if the results aren't necessarily there.)
Mclaughlin (one of the better smaller defensive guards in the league. Not having the expectations of being a former lotto pick like Davion might even make him more valuable on that end.)
McDaniels (Long long forward. His brother but without any of his feel for the game whatsoever but still a capable defender or at the very least probably as capable of not getting completely roasted on defense as Duarte was)

What defensive depth did we lose this offseason exactly?
Out of this list, Davion and Kessler are the two best defenders. I believe Carter could be better than both but he's not yet proven in the NBA and he's probably missing most of this season anyway. McLaughlin is a good defender. Not as good as Davion at POA though. We sub in Davion to stop elite guards. McDaniels has the physical attributes but what's between his ears concern me (see here). I think we can all agree that no one wants to talk about Jalen's off-court issues here. I'd rather have Kessler who understands his role and is a good team player.

The players in the rest of the list are not known for their defense and they don't deliver much impact there.

We are lacking in wing defenders. We did nothing to improve rim protection. Losing quality defenders always hurts.

Honestly I think we will be better on defense because there will be a more clear and defined hierarchy. A lot of issues last year were because we were still experimenting. Is len the backup C or will it be Javale? Will Lyles be the main back up for C as a small ball? what does that do with our other lineups? Who is starting at SG? Huerter or Ellis? Do we want to keep Davion as backup PG or do we give Ellis a run there so he plays next to monk? With all this back and forth, people were in and out of the lineups all the time, and despite the next man up expectation, you still need continuity to develop a rhythm and feel for the flow of the game.

I think we all see the writing on the wall based on Brown's comments with respect to Monk. I think we mostly know that Ellis will be the starting PG with Monk splitting time between backup PG/SG (but will likely have the ball when out there and will likely be finishing most games. Huerter will likely split backup SG and SF roles. Mclaughlin and McDaniels (if he starts the season on the roster) will likely be deep bench for most games and used in spot minutes.

Fox/Monk/Mclaughlin
Ellis/Huerter/Monk/DDR/Jones
DDR/Huerter/Keegan/McDaniels
Keegan/Lyles
Sabonis/Len.

Honestly, I think moving Huerter, Jones, McDaniels (in August) and a 1st plus a few 2nds for Cam Johnson, OR Huerter for DFS straight up (or with few seconds), will balance this more (prefer Cam Johnson d/t age and ability to flex between 3/4). I think defensively he would allow us to be better just by allowing DDR to play the 2 where he fits more naturally on defense, but could also allow him to defend the 4 which he is certainly strong enough to do (putting Keegan and Cam on the perimeter, making our defensive lineup VERY LONG), and backup lineup also very long, but the bench line up will likely play 3 guards with Ellis manning the 3 if we exchange 5 for 5 (though most likely Keegan,DDR, or Johnson will be there are all times).

Fox (6'3"/6'6.5" wingspan)/Mclaughlin (6'/6'3) but will be replaced eventually by Carter (6'3/6'8)
DDR (6'6/6'9)/Monk (6'3/6'4)
Keegan (6'8/6'11)/Ellis (6'4/6'8.5)
Johnson (6'8/6'10)/Lyles (6'9/7')
Sabonis (6'10/6'11)/Len (7'/7'4)

Honestly I think we will be better on defense because there will be a more clear and defined hierarchy. A lot of issues last year were because we were still experimenting. Is len the backup C or will it be Javale? Will Lyles be the main back up for C as a small ball? what does that do with our other lineups? Who is starting at SG? Huerter or Ellis? Do we want to keep Davion as backup PG or do we give Ellis a run there so he plays next to monk? With all this back and forth, people were in and out of the lineups all the time, and despite the next man up expectation, you still need continuity to develop a rhythm and feel for the flow of the game.

I think we all see the writing on the wall based on Brown's comments with respect to Monk. I think we mostly know that Ellis will be the starting PG with Monk splitting time between backup PG/SG (but will likely have the ball when out there and will likely be finishing most games. Huerter will likely split backup SG and SF roles. Mclaughlin and McDaniels (if he starts the season on the roster) will likely be deep bench for most games and used in spot minutes.

Fox/Monk/Mclaughlin
Ellis/Huerter/Monk/DDR/Jones
DDR/Huerter/Keegan/McDaniels
Keegan/Lyles
Sabonis/Len.

Honestly, I think moving Huerter, Jones, McDaniels (in August) and a 1st plus a few 2nds for Cam Johnson, OR Huerter for DFS straight up (or with few seconds), will balance this more (prefer Cam Johnson d/t age and ability to flex between 3/4). I think defensively he would allow us to be better just by allowing DDR to play the 2 where he fits more naturally on defense, but could also allow him to defend the 4 which he is certainly strong enough to do (putting Keegan and Cam on the perimeter, making our defensive lineup VERY LONG), and backup lineup also very long, but the bench line up will likely play 3 guards with Ellis manning the 3 if we exchange 5 for 5 (though most likely Keegan,DDR, or Johnson will be there are all times).

Fox (6'3"/6'6.5" wingspan)/Mclaughlin (6'/6'3) but will be replaced eventually by Carter (6'3/6'8)
DDR (6'6/6'9)/Monk (6'3/6'4)
Keegan (6'8/6'11)/Ellis (6'4/6'8.5)
Johnson (6'8/6'10)/Lyles (6'9/7')
Sabonis (6'10/6'11)/Len (7'/7'4)
by Johnson I assume you mean Cam who has not signed yet.

Sounds like a good possibility Cleveland will orchestrate a sign and trade with Okoro for Cam Johnson.
I’d think Okoro and draft compensation is likely more attractive to Brooklyn than Huerter and parts.
Even though there is a question of who starts where, I like the idea of adding Johnson.

Sounds like a good possibility Cleveland will orchestrate a sign and trade with Okoro for Cam Johnson.
I’d think Okoro and draft compensation is likely more attractive to Brooklyn than Huerter and parts.
Even though there is a question of who starts where, I like the idea of adding Johnson.
And far more attractive IMO for Sac than the Kings giving up a 1st without knowing if Johnson would be worth it at this point.

I'm not sure what Lessorts contract is 100% in Greece I don't know if the year coming up if outright signed/player option/team option but he's probably been a top 5 Euroleague big (I hated him cause he played for Partizan) he's all energy big undersized but superstrong think of Harrell/Faried but a excellent defender without that much offense and great rebounder. He's 27 and coming off winning the Euroleague title which could open him to a move to the NBA to play behind Sabonis. He was all Euroleague the past season or 2 and he could probably be had for cheap and ready to play right away and help the Kings with toughness/D/rebounding.

Last season

This year

(Looks like the NYK own his rights....was drafted 2nd round 2017)
Looks like the Knicks have made a offer to bring him over

Reports are saying Aleksa Avramovic will be using his NBA escape clause to leave his CSKA contract to sign with either the Clippers/Hawks I really feell he should have been in the NBA years ago if this does occur. In 10-20 min spurts the guy is a game changer at any level with his energy but any more than that he's becomes a complete liability cause he stops playing his role and can really mess things up.

I never thought I’d say this. I want the Kings to give WCS another shot. The Athletic has an excellent piece up about his struggle with addiction (he’s 2 years sober). He still only 30 and it sounds like he’s earned another opportunity.