Why Isn't Sasha Playing?

Won’t get into any of those rumors,” McNair said. “I think Sasha, we saw when he got on the court last year, can make a positive impact for us, obviously one of the best shooters, and we’re hopeful that we can find a way for him to continue to do that here for us and help us win games.”

That is out of Monte’s interview…
Questions is , is this Monte speaking crap , Monte desperate to put some interest into Vezenkov so he can move him or Monte who actually means what he talk :))

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Won’t get into any of those rumors,” McNair said. “I think Sasha, we saw when he got on the court last year, can make a positive impact for us, obviously one of the best shooters, and we’re hopeful that we can find a way for him to continue to do that here for us and help us win games.”

That is out of Monte’s interview…
Questions is , is this Monte speaking crap , Monte desperate to put some interest into Vezenkov so he can move him or Monte who actually means what he talk :))
McNair traded for Vezenkov's rights, flew over to watch him several times and was part of convincing him to move over to the NBA. I think he absolutely wants to see Sasha succeed. Right now Vezenkov has little value in the NBA beyond potentially being an ending contract since his third year isn't guaranteed. So whether he continues to play for the Kings or gets traded, it's in everyone's best interest to see him play more next season and have a positive impact.

Watch him turn into a deadly 3-point shooter with regular minutes in Toronto.
Oh, this trade in a vacuum might look TERRRRRIBLE in time. No question about that. The Kings only win out if they make out somewhere else. This can't be one of those create space to extend your own player kind of thing like the Holmes dump, haha. The reality is the Kings were more up against it though since they were already slotted into the luxury tax zone. Couldn't make sense of that at this point. Too restrictive of a team needing to add pieces.

If Sasha wanted out, then out he would need to go...if he had wanted to stay and give it another shot, I think that would have happened. Best wishes to him.

For the record, according to Greek media, the Raptors will release Sasha and he already agreed to return to Olympiakos for 3.5mln per year.
I guess normally other teams can claim him via waivers but i guess his agent will inform them (like Bronny) that he is not willing to join them.

At least Sasha will return to Europe healthy. Who knows, maybe some NBA team will sign him in the future. There are plenty of head coaches in the NBA who are innovative and have no problem integrating quality talent from the different background.
Dirk Nowitzki was mentioned in this thread before. If I think hard - I can still recollect his first season in Dallas. In his first season he never looked comfortable on the court. Ever. 7 foot nonathletic sharpshooter - luckily he didn't give up :) Jokic was even more horrible. Second round pick just because of the size ;)

For the record, according to Greek media, the Raptors will release Sasha and he already agreed to return to Olympiakos for 3.5mln per year.
I guess normally other teams can claim him via waivers but i guess his agent will inform them (like Bronny) that he is not willing to join them.
Accounting for the high taxes in Canada and the low taxes in Greece, his take home pay won't be that much less - and adding endorsements, may even be more lucrative. He has a chance to achieve major stardom in Europe.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I suppose I meant taking his star to the next level. Legend status.

The point is he has much more upward mobility in Europe.
That's probably true. I'm sorry it didn't work out for him in Sacramento. If he'd been a part of the first ever championship here, the love he would have received from Kings fans would be lifelong. It's hard to compare that to being the hero for a whole country though. Whatever happens with his current contract, I hope he winds up in a place where he can be happy.

It's also euros and not dollars so it will be a bit more as well. Still the situation is complicated since what was expected to be a done deal last week (with all media in Europe posting about it) could be far from it if the Raptors are not willing to let him go. Some journalists in the USA posted that Raptors probably won't just release him getting nothing in return (meaning that they will be most likely trade him to get a 2nd round pick or something, get rid of his salary etc) and Keith Smith in particular that is an expert on the whole salary cup thing that for most of the Europeans (including me) it's quite complicated.

The fact that he doubted Sasha's return to Olympiakos (the thing he doubted is how it is considered "done deal" actually) enraged Olympiacos fan that attacked him under every post in twitter, mocking him about his weight and creating an awful image of how Greek fans really are. That is a major topic of course, not related with the Sasha case, but in general there are "organized group of fans" that are easy to be controlled and just "bark" the way their leader tells them, reminding of robots not having their own will, the perfect victims in many cases that are followers of extremist parties. The irony in this whole thing is that Keith Smith as a Celtics fan was sort of under attack (in a much milder way) when the other big Greek team fans wanted Svi Mykhailiuk to come to Panathinaikos past January and were waiting for Boston not to guarantee his contract for the rest of the season. Keith Smith was kind enough to respond to those who asked "nicely" breaking the news that he wouldn't leave the Celtics causing some others to not respond to him back in the nicest way possible. Even Hollinger mentioned that some years ago when Calathes was in the NBA he had similar issues with Greek fans that wanted him to come back to Greece and play for the team that they support.

According to Olympiakos "insiders" the Raptors will release him probably tonight (Monday night, Tuesday early morning for Greece and no other team will claim him. I hope he will stay in the NBA to prove that he can still make it and for all those twitter trolls not to satisfy their needs.

Both those big Greek clubs are something like Lakers and Celtics (Panathinaikos even has clover as their trademark) and I hate them both, my favorite team is Panionios which is something like Sacramento Kings, not so many fans but loyal ones and knowing about basketball. From former NBA players Panionios had PJ Brown (before making it to the NBA), Thurl Bailey (after leaving the NBA) and some players that had limited minutes playing in the NBA (before or after Panionios) like Travis Mays, Chris Jent, Zarko Paspalj, Mateen Cleaves (Mason Jones of his time?), Henry Turner, Antonio Harvey, John Wallace, Mitchell Wiggins, Frankie King and others.

Keith getting dragged just for unbiased reporting was sad to see.
Unfrotuantely that is the way Eaterns European act sometimes ...
@megapoxy said it perfectly , those are group of people who are just following the ''big boss''orders ...
I'm also still wanting to see him another year in the league , but i highly doubt ...
The last rumours are that in personal converstaion Darko told him something like ''we are rebuilding so i can't promise you a thing ... ''
So he wasn't very enthusiastic about his future as Raptor ...

gunks

Hall of Famer
Damn, dude couldn't have told Monte he was gonna leave the $$$ on the table and flee back to Europe before the Raps deal?

I wish him all the worst overseas :p

Yeah, I have no problem with taking a chance on Saha to begin with, even in hindsight. It’s really too bad it didn’t work out, it seemed like he was about to finally get some momentum and then kept getting hurt.

Paying assets to dump him when later agrees to a 100% buyout is not great, though.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Damn, dude couldn't have told Monte he was gonna leave the $$$ on the table and flee back to Europe before the Raps deal?

I wish him all the worst overseas :p
That was my first thought too. But I believe even just the difference between Davion Mitchell's and Jalen McDaniels salary would have put the Kings over the first apron (which they aren't allowed to do under this CBA if I understand correctly) once they signed two more players to the veteran minimum.

So it was still a necessary deal to land DeRozan.

gunks

Hall of Famer
That was my first thought too. But I believe even just the difference between Davion Mitchell's and Jalen McDaniels salary would have put the Kings over the first apron (which they aren't allowed to do under this CBA if I understand correctly) once they signed two more players to the veteran minimum.

Ah, that makes it easier to swallow for sure.

Thanks for the info, funky!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member

Even if that's not the case (which I have no doubt) - it took them almost until the end of July to complete this so we'd have lost out on DDR and any minor moves probably even our two ways while waiting for him. I am guessing he was trying to leverage everyone too, I don't know. It feels very footballmarket and I can't imagine he did future compatriots from the Euros any favors pulling this.

If nothing else Euro clubs and their fans can start bullying NBA teams with contract buyout demands so the NBA and FIBA may have to have a sit down about this.

Don't buyouts like that still count on your cap as dead money? Then again not sure when we've seen someone just bail on the contract entirely.
Yeah, most buy-outs are like the players gives like 10-15% of the deal back or something so they can go to a contender they want. Like you said, I don't think a player has ever just given ripped up the contract and given back all the money.