Monk is back!!!!!!!!

And once Monte does, that's it. By next summer? The Kings are either angling for a new GM or Monte is getting his rewards. Should be interesting either way. lol.
Yeah, let’s press the reset button, again, and head back to the same instability plagued 16-season playoff-less run they just ended. Sounds great.

Is really the extent of your patience? Instant gratification is as much an epidemic as addiction and mental health.

I don’t get the Keon doubters. Sure, a larger sample size would be nice. But if he were on another team, Kings fan’s would be screaming to get him.

He doesn’t have to do anything different from the end of last season to be the exact guy the Kings need in the starting lineup. There is a reason KCP and Danny Green won championships starting for multiple different teams.

Keon is a tone setter, our defensive general and can hit 3’s at a high clip. And he is a screaming deal from a salary cap perspective. The Kings should be doing everything they can to make sure he succeeds as a starter.
I like Keon. If he continues to hit shots as he did for much of last season and his confidence continues to grow — he really could develop into a helluva player. He’s already a solid contributor.

Yeah, let’s press the reset button, again, and head back to the same instability plagued 16-season playoff-less run they just ended. Sounds great.

Is really the extent of your patience? Instant gratification is as much an epidemic as addiction and mental health.
Do you remember who the owner is? lol. If Monte can't make moves then the Kings will essentially be stuck. Happens all the time, happened to the Kings a time or two. Bloated cap? Check. Multi year coach? Check. That axe has to fall somewhere. I also wouldn't be completely ignoring all these Fox rumors but any player should be thinking that way as they head towards that 30 year old range. Too hard to build a squad with players making these escalating with age max deals. Especially with the apron in effect.

Monk's a smart dude. Sure, he gave up 22+ mil, but he chose happiness, comfort, getting to play with his best friend on a team that gives him the full green light for a fanbase that adores him. Awesome to see a guy choose that for himself over just pure $$$
I’ve said it many times, there are more important things than just money. Especially when making the type of money these guys are making. A few million more per season is nothing to sneeze at, but it ain’t all that compared to situation, fit and personal happiness.

While I don’t make anywhere near the type of $$$ these guys do, I’ve declined opportunities to relocate and make more with less cost of living, taxes and expenses. And never regretted it once.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I don't understand how once you get a certain amount of bag you ever need more but obviously there are folks in this world whom for billions isn't enough, and I guess with these players having just $1 more than the next biggest contract is a bragging point.

What I do know is I've reached a tipping point in my own life where I'd rather have more time to enjoy life than more money and it is a fraction of what these dudes make. I'm happy Monk seems to have made a similar calculus.

I don't understand how once you get a certain amount of bag you ever need more but obviously there are folks in this world whom for billions isn't enough, and I guess with these players having just $1 more than the next biggest contract is a bragging point.

What I do know is I've reached a tipping point in my own life where I'd rather have more time to enjoy life than more money and it is a fraction of what these dudes make. I'm happy Monk seems to have made a similar calculus.
Yeah, I could understand it in Monk's case though. While his career earnings till this point is nothing to sneeze at, this contract is like super generational type wealth for him. I think that's what's so rare about it; Monk hasn't really made his money yet and he's making the call early in his career to prioritize his life enjoyment over pure $$$

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Yeah, I could understand it in Monk's case though. While his career earnings till this point is nothing to sneeze at, this contract is like super generational type wealth for him. I think that's what's so rare about it; Monk hasn't really made his money yet and he's making the call early in his career to prioritize his life enjoyment over pure $$$
Let's say half goes to taxes and agents (probably more since I've heard agents take as much as 15% these days?) so it's then 40m vs. 50m ish over the next 4 years in his bank accounts. If you invest it modestly it's multi-generational wealth that probably only the great grandkids could screw up.

His first few contracts already bought the house and financed his NBA lifestyle so that could all literally just go in a mutual fund. Of course too many athletes do something stupid and open a restaurant or some other doomed business venture where the best way to make a million bucks is to start with ten.