[KINGS] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (Redux)

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Yeah, it's sort of like the cowbells. It was such a sensational "viral moment" in an era before viral moments were a thing. But its novelty wore off over time, and now those damn cowbells are just a part of the culture of Kings basketball. So, too, with the Beam. The novelty is waning (and quickly, as all things do in the disposable, virality-obsessed internet age we currently live in), but lighting the Beam remains a distinct feature of the fan experience at a Kings game, and I'd guess that Vivek and co. want it to continue to be absorbed into the culture of Sacramento. Hell, when one of the best breweries in the area christens a rather excellent beer after your novel fan experience, its reached a local cultural level that suggests you should keep it around for awhile.
I need someone to mule me a 4 pack.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I hope they keep the beam indefinitely. It'll never have the same excitement that it had when they first rolled it out but I don't see it as something that gets old and played out either. Just a cool part of Sac culture and a go to chant at the end of games.
Many teams have post game rituals or similar. The Angels have the Halo and I am sure there are other teams with exterior win celebrations. And then there's songs and other stuff post game that have gone on decades. I am definitely on the keep it side. I think it's cool, and it is pretty clear that the response to it was a lot of other clubs wish they had thought of it first.

Yeah, it's sort of like the cowbells. It was such a sensational "viral moment" in an era before viral moments were a thing. But its novelty wore off over time, and now those damn cowbells are just a part of the culture of Kings basketball. So, too, with the Beam. The novelty is waning (and quickly, as all things do in the disposable, virality-obsessed internet age we currently live in), but lighting the Beam remains a distinct feature of the fan experience at a Kings game, and I'd guess that Vivek and co. want it to continue to be absorbed into the culture of Sacramento. Hell, when one of the best breweries in the area christens a rather excellent beer after your novel fan experience, its reached a local cultural level that suggests you should keep it around for awhile.
Had no idea about the beer. I'll be checking that out ASAP.

Fully agree there. I'm not gonna lie, I still get a smile on my face every time I hear the light the beam chant in the other team's arena. Especially down in LA.

Had no idea about the beer. I'll be checking that out ASAP.

Fully agree there. I'm not gonna lie, I still get a smile on my face every time I hear the light the beam chant in the other team's arena. Especially down in LA.
There have been some really cool Kings inspired beers lately. The Swipa the Fox from Jackrabbit is a solid Dub C IPA. If I'm not mistaken, Bike Dog also had a nice beam inspired series.

I've been homebrewing for almost 20 years, have a nice little taphouse/brewery in my garage. I still enjoy seeking these out. Sac area breweries do some good work.

There have been some really cool Kings inspired beers lately. The Swipa the Fox from Jackrabbit is a solid Dub C IPA. If I'm not mistaken, Bike Dog also had a nice beam inspired series.

I've been homebrewing for almost 20 years, have a nice little taphouse/brewery in my garage. I still enjoy seeking these out. Sac area breweries do some good work.
My buddy doesn’t brew much anymore, but he made a killer zombie dust clone.

@PorchSurfin

Knee Deep bought the rights to Monkey Knife Fight Pale Ale.

If you don't know the story, MKF was originally brewed by Rubicon Brewing, who I believe was started with some of the people from Sacrmaento Brewing that went ou of business years ago. Then Rubicon went out of business, the recipe was bought by Tower Brewing, near Sac State, they modified it a bit and it wasn't the same, then they went out of business and Knee Deep smartly bought it and returned it to it's former glory. I have a keg of it on tap at home right now.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
https://fox40.com/sports/basketball...vydas-by-wearing-no-11-with-sacramento-kings/

The number means so much to Domas that he and his wife Shashana even named their daughter Eleven Rose Sabonis, who was born almost one year ago appropriately on July 11.

“I grew up playing basketball because of him, I fell in love with the game because of him,” Sabonis said to FOX40 about his father. “It feels right. I’m excited. My daughter’s name is Eleven, it’s a tribute to her too, I’ll be wearing (it for) her as well. It’s just a really exciting time for my family and how much this means to all of us.”

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't seen any of the national media folks even mention it. We seem to be the only ones aware of the Keon Ellis effect. I don't mind that though. We can sneak up on people for a season.
We might sneak up on opposing fans and talking heads in the media.

But any NBA teams that do even a halfway decent job of scouting will be VERY aware of Keon and how he helped really shift the Kings defense.