[Game] Kings @ Rockets, 11/4/2023 5pm Pacific 8pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
meh, yes we should come out with more fire and such, but, it's hard enough incorporating new guys and building chemistry ... it may be a lot to ask these guys to just immediately pivot to losing 30 + points and pace from Fox in the lineup, especially after the game he had against LA. On to the next Houston game where we pound them into oblivion.

Tell me if I’m wrong, but even when they lost last season it felt like they were still putting in maximum effort.
One of the hallmarks of last years squad was even if they were trash for a half or 3 quarters... they'd find a way to put some sort of run together and make it a somewhat competitive game. They didn't just quit and punt the game. That's what it felt like tonight; after the refs gave the Rockets 5 free points, they lost all the momentum and just didn't have the drive to get it back.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
One of the hallmarks of last years squad was even if they were trash for a half or 3 quarters... they'd find a way to put some sort of run together and make it a somewhat competitive game. They didn't just quit and punt the game. That's what it felt like tonight; after the refs gave the Rockets 5 free points, they lost all the momentum and just didn't have the drive to get it back.
They did sort of look like that failed challenge broke their will.

You had three starters, Murray, Huerter, and Mitchell, who scored collectively 18 points. They shot 22%. Monk had that many all by himself in 26 minutes. And even he was -9 on the night, after +5 in the first half.

Also, as I pointed out earlier, Houston was mobbing Sabonis down low. The team needs to adjust to this kind of gang-tackle defense.

I saw this coming in the last game thread when I said “every time a short handed kings team plays well against a great team they’ll play down to a sorry team”.

The refs aren’t why the Kings lost but that stretch where they blew the Green offensive foul and then doubled down on it, and they blew the Sengun out of bounds call which gave them 5 illegitimate points was the back breaker.

Kings would’ve found a way to lose anyway. After they kept tripping over their feet when they went up 65-64 and countered a scoring drought with their own it wasn’t their night.

If the Kings are what we think they are than even without Fox they need to be better than Houston. That said, good teams lose to bad teams every night in the NBA.

Domas had his worst game of the season, but they actually did crowd him with doubles and triples so it was actually on Huerter, Keegan, Mitchell and Barnes to pick him up. They did not. Some of it was Rockets rotation, but a lot of it was wide open bricks!

Even at full strength the Kings aren’t any good if they don’t have shooters.

Keegan needs to start shooting better. This isn’t Bambi slipping on the ice anymore. I’m kind of getting tired of him not putting the ball in the hole. He’s due to start shooting better.

Ditto for Kevin Huerter

Mitchell played a good game. The only starter that I think did his job tonight. He was tough on Green and on FVV when on him. Only starter playing with energy offensively too, unfortunately he’s the least capable offensive player among the starters.

The defense and effort was by far the worst it’s been in the first five games.

Bench was excellent in the first half. Terrible in the second half.

They better win the next game.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I feel like everyone is being rather selective with their memories of last season because the Kings had some absolutely terrible, soul-less losses in between the wins.

Playing 'tough' is what lead to all the defensive breakdowns though. Kings were playing all their perimeter players way too tight on the line, which led to all those drives and kicks and defensive miscues.
Good point. I said in pre-season that Coach Brown's emphasis on "physicality" went against the talents and strengths of his players. It's too early to panic, but so far the team looks less cohesive than it did in December of 2022.

I think it’s time for brown to accept what type of team we have. We have to ourscore our opponents. All this extra focus on defense has us pressing. And forgetting how to shoot the dam ball

What does shooting have to do with playing the right way? He’s not bringing anything to the table. And taller players are just shooting right over him. Teams make and miss 3s all the time, hes not doing anything
Im not sure what is it you think he’s not doing? Are you expecting him to be Fox? Rewatch the game, he is running the offense, penetrating and for the most part making the right play. He’s a role player.

We needed a brooks type player. I said it last season and people laughed. He would have fit perfect. We look so soft out there man
Yeah, but that is a gamble with that personality. The Kings obviously need someone like him on both ends though. No doubt. No Fox, and the offense is changed. Last year they were like 12 ppg less without him IIRC, these last two games are exaggerated by bad shooting but definitely tell the tale.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
On to the next Houston game where we pound them into oblivion.
If anything other than this happens I will hit the panic alarm. For that matter we better carry the same fire into the Portland game because they definitely stink but are capable of punching a sleeping team in the face like Houston did to us tonight.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Im not sure what is it you think he’s not doing? Are you expecting him to be Fox? Rewatch the game, he is running the offense, penetrating and for the most part making the right play. He’s a role player.
Between your posts defending the hell out of Davion and randomly blaming Fox for various miscues, I must ask... are you Davion's agent by any chance?

I feel like everyone is being rather selective with their memories of last season because the Kings had some absolutely terrible, soul-less losses in between the wins.
The team basically played .500 ball all year and went on a 7 game win streak after the all star break. This is absolutely what it’s going to be like especially in the west. Losing to the rockets really sucks but they are an improved team. Need to come back with a statement game on Monday.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
They did sort of look like that failed challenge broke their will.
I think this is spot on. We had clawed back into it and Houston finally ended their long drought but then neither time wanted a basket. Wound up being a four point swing after a questionable gift to Houston on the OOB call too. Felt like they quit after that.

I saw this coming in the last game thread when I said “every time a short handed kings team plays well against a great team they’ll play down to a sorry team”.

The refs aren’t why the Kings lost but that stretch where they blew the Green offensive foul and then doubled down on it, and they blew the Sengun out of bounds call which gave them 5 illegitimate points was the back breaker.

Kings would’ve found a way to lose anyway. After they kept tripping over their feet when they went up 65-64 and countered a scoring drought with their own it wasn’t their night.

If the Kings are what we think they are than even without Fox they need to be better than Houston. That said, good teams lose to bad teams every night in the NBA.

Domas had his worst game of the season, but they actually did crowd him with doubles and triples so it was actually on Huerter, Keegan, Mitchell and Barnes to pick him up. They did not. Some of it was Rockets rotation, but a lot of it was wide open bricks!

Even at full strength the Kings aren’t any good if they don’t have shooters.

Keegan needs to start shooting better. This isn’t Bambi slipping on the ice anymore. I’m kind of getting tired of him not putting the ball in the hole. He’s due to start shooting better.

Ditto for Kevin Huerter

Mitchell played a good game. The only starter that I think did his job tonight. He was tough on Green and on FVV when on him. Only starter playing with energy offensively too, unfortunately he’s the least capable offensive player among the starters.

The defense and effort was by far the worst it’s been in the first five games.

Bench was excellent in the first half. Terrible in the second half.

They better win the next game.
Yeah. Comes down to the Kings legendary O last season was in large part due to the elite shooting of Keegs and Huerter. With Fox out, if those 2 aren't hitting... we don't have anything to turn to. As we saw tonight.

Take away HB 3-4 (Who btw absolutely needs to stop being a ghost. 7 shot attempts????? You kidding???) and Monks 3-4 we were:

Keegan 1-8
Domas 0-2
Huerter 0-3
Davion 1-4
Sasha 0-1
Colby 1-4
Javale 0-1 (LOL)
Duarte 2-6

5-29 for 17%. Impossible to ever win a game shooting like that without Fox.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It should also be noted that Dillon Brooks was already in the midsts of an unsustainably hot shooting streak coming into tonight's game at 65% from three on the year lol

The team basically played .500 ball all year and went on a 7 game win streak after the all star break. This is absolutely what it’s going to be like especially in the west. Losing to the rockets really sucks but they are an improved team. Need to come back with a statement game on Monday.
Truth. Monday is a revenge game. Monte is watching and when your superstar is out is when you find out where you actually are as a franchise.

We may have won this if huerter and murray shot their normal %, but that might be too much to ask at the moment.
I don’t think it’s a surprise that our weakest defenders are pressing on offense from the challenge of brown. Murray are never going to be defensive stars. It’s too me brown understands that and uses their strength witch is shoot shoot shoot. If he wants defensive played then we need to get rid of them because they will never be it. They are pressing bad

Between your posts defending the hell out of Davion and randomly blaming Fox for various miscues, I must ask... are you Davion's agent by any chance?
Lol no I’m not.I’m a die hard Kings fan and want what’s best for the team. I feel like us as a fan base don’t give Davion a fair shake and we underrate him considering he is Fox’s backup. I never blamed Fox for anything, I just feel as an off ball defender he loses focus way more than he should and that could be fixed with just playing solid, fundamental defense instead of gambling.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Lol no I’m not.I’m a die hard Kings fan and want what’s best for the team. I feel like us as a fan base don’t give Davion a fair shake and we underrate him considering he is Fox’s backup. I never blamed Fox for anything, I just feel as an off ball defender he loses focus way more than he should and that could be fixed with just playing solid, fundamental defense instead of gambling.
Coming into tonight, Davion was almost averaging more fouls per game than assists or rebounds and has the worst offensive rating and net rating on the team. How would you suggest we rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.