NFL 2023-2024 Thread

Might not even be the worst trade of that draft night.
Uh, they're not fired because they've been to a Super Bowl and 2 Conference championship games in the last 4 seasons. Yeah, we'll probably not continue to get so lucky hitting on late picks in the draft, but what matters at the end of the day is making the playoffs and winning. Not making sure your FRP are good

And there's your difference between Purdy and Jimmy G. I don't know if Jimmy would have the juice to rush that in. He may not be Lance athletic, but Purdy certainly has some wiggle when he gets out of the pocket. He's no statue.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
John Lynch is such a good speaker than I'm not sure why the Niners have been so reluctant to have him run damage control every chance they can.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Willie Snead gets to play with Brock Purdy after spending a bunch of years in New Orleans with Drew Brees. My guy has the market cornered on short white QBs with questionable arm strength.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
A couple really impressive throws and catches from Darnold to Conley and Snead respectively. I really like Darnold as QB2 even if he has moments of “Old Darnold.” A guy I’ve wanted to take a chance on for a few seasons.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I think a lot of us thought that the Trey Lance selection was solid, or at least better than some other choices. I was definitely excited by the possibility of what he could bring to the team. You can argue that they gave up too much to get him, but he showed all the tools that would likely make him a pretty good QB. And if you already have a standout team you can make those kinds of gambles.

But for various reasons, including major injury, it didn't work out like everyone hoped and another guy you drafted for cheap appears to be the real deal.

Yes, there is opportunity cost with the lost picks, and that sucks. But if Purdy continues to perform and grow and Darnold is your choice at backup (and he appears to be solid), you do what you need to do to keep moving forward. Does it really matter where guys were picked as long as you get solid performers?

There's commentators out there saying that Trey Lance didn't fail, the team failed. I don't know that I agree with that. Teams don't "fail" because a player gets seriously injured. Teams don't "fail" because they drafted two promising QB in the same draft class and one appears to have panned out. The average length of an NFL player's career is 3 years, which is about where we are with Lance and, frankly, only a handful of actual games played to show for it. We'll see how Lance does in the future, and I wish him well, but this team has to keep moving forward. That's what they are doing now.

Teams make mistakes in drafting / sometimes draft promising players that just can't get the job done. It happens all the time in every sport (as Kings fans, we should be used to this). It sucks, but all you can do is try to learn from it for the next year. Meanwhile, I'm not going to dwell on it and look forward to hopefully another run towards appearing in the Super Bowl with a stacked team and one of the best coaches in the league.

Now, I will say that the 49ers seem to have a history of QB controversy over the years and that isn't the best approach. They also bungled the messaging and timing in numerous ways. That's another thing they need to work on getting better at.

yeah the thing about the sheer narrative velocity of the Brock Purdy story is that he’s on track to either be the next Tom Brady/Kurt Warner/Tony Romo ultimate underdog who turns out to be a star or he’s gonna flame out spectacularly this season and be a one hit wonder. Without wanting to be “Brock is the next Tom Brady!!!” guy, everything about how the last two seasons has gone sorta points towards the first option rather than the spectacular collapse.
If he can just be Jimmy G with mobility and the ability to avoid the terrible picks in big games, I'll be perfectly happy with him. I don't think he can do what the top tier QBs can do but he sure does look good in Shanny's offense. I'm still not completely sold on him but I think we'll have a good idea after the first half of the season how things are going to go for him in the future. So far in preseason he's done everything you'd want him to do.

The Lance trade was bad but the Lynch/Shanahan ability to evaluate running backs irks me just as much. They really need to stop wasting 3rd round picks on RBs. Davis-Price and Sermon are basically the same player. That's two 3rd round picks in two years and neither guy looks as good as the later round guys or guys off the street. Mason had that awful fumble on the goal line but he's looked head and shoulders better than any other high round RB draft pick. Mitchell was gold in the 6th round but unfortunately he's injury prone. They can get better talent off the scrap heap each year at that position than they can get in the 3rd round.

If he can just be Jimmy G with mobility and the ability to avoid the terrible picks in big games, I'll be perfectly happy with him. I don't think he can do what the top tier QBs can do but he sure does look good in Shanny's offense. I'm still not completely sold on him but I think we'll have a good idea after the first half of the season how things are going to go for him in the future. So far in preseason he's done everything you'd want him to do.

The Lance trade was bad but the Lynch/Shanahan ability to evaluate running backs irks me just as much. They really need to stop wasting 3rd round picks on RBs. Davis-Price and Sermon are basically the same player. That's two 3rd round picks in two years and neither guy looks as good as the later round guys or guys off the street. Mason had that awful fumble on the goal line but he's looked head and shoulders better than any other high round RB draft pick. Mitchell was gold in the 6th round but unfortunately he's injury prone. They can get better talent off the scrap heap each year at that position than they can get in the 3rd round.
Yeah, it's a weird quirk they've had, spending a semi-premium pick on a RB (and trading up to get them!)when they're so damn good at finding value RB's off the scrap heap. Even just in SF alone, Mostert/Wilson/Mitchell/Breida have all proven to be very good NFL RB's at one point for basically no cost. And now we might potentially be adding Mason to that list.

Yeah, it's a weird quirk they've had, spending a semi-premium pick on a RB (and trading up to get them!)when they're so damn good at finding value RB's off the scrap heap. Even just in SF alone, Mostert/Wilson/Mitchell/Breida have all proven to be very good NFL RB's at one point for basically no cost. And now we might potentially be adding Mason to that list.
Exactly. Use those 3rd rounders on the OL and defense.