What an abysmal offseason.

If I understand correctly, we have already used by most of our space. I'll be happy if the team can still use the money, but I think we have less money left than the MLE. We may end up signing a backup C, but could have potentially done that with the MLE too.

As for Holmes, I made two distinct points; his contract as a trade chip, that you didn't comment on, and his value on the current roster.

I agree that he was not in the plans any more. Trading him likely helps him, so good on Monte for doing that. From a team's perspective though, we are going into the season with Domas, an untested Neemias, and an undersized Lyles. Domas was superman last year, playing through a myriad of injuries. While I give him tons of credit for that, most good teams go with a reliable backup, and a third center who can contribute when needed. We aren't. Lyles played well last year, but Holmes was asked to start (and played well), when Domas was out. We also had Len.

Let's see if Monte brings someone in. Unless Neemias is ready, that position looks thin to me, and we traded away a reliable backup, with potential to bring in a useful piece, for money.

If Monte had sold a SRP for "cash considerations", the fan base would have been up in arms. How is this different? It's just more egregious, since we sold our FRP.
They tried to trade Holmes for the past year. He had no value at his current salary. In fact, he had negative value since we had to attach a 1st to get rid of the contract (unless you truly believe Monte just jumped at the chance to get a valuable asset for Holmes and just said, **** it let’s toss our first round pick in for the heck of it.) It is absolutely not the same thing as selling a pick for cash considerations. We did it to sign the players we have so far and either sign someone else and/or extend domas. The day and age of calling an owner cheap for not wanting to pay the luxury tax are long gone. There are actual negative team building impacts and penalties for spending too much on your teams salary under the new collective bargaining agreement.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
We wouldn't even have to give him more than one year or an opt-out for a second year. If he signs a one-year deal with the Kings in '24-'25, that would mean he played for the Kings three consecutive years and we would have full Bird rights.
Thing to remember with regards to Malik Monk is that his big brother is his agent so if Malik wants to stay, don't expect too many shenanigans on the backside to prevent a deal from happening.

dude12

Hall of Famer
true and you do still have options like Dillon Brooks available. While not ideal he would still help the defense.

that said the Kings had earned some degree of national respect and thus far appear to have reverted back. The National basketball podcast I listened to this morning said Duarte…. Kangz …. Then moved on not to discuss them again.
The national media ridiculed Sac for dealing Hali for Domas …….soooooo what. The national media and you and your buddy keep getting thrashed when Monte’s moves have resulted in a top Western Conference team.

true and you do still have options like Dillon Brooks available. While not ideal he would still help the defense.

that said the Kings had earned some degree of national respect and thus far appear to have reverted back. The National basketball podcast I listened to this morning said Duarte…. Kangz …. Then moved on not to discuss them again.
Brooks signed in Houston. This team is treading water while everyone else is getting better

The free agent season just started; you don't know yet if it will be used.

If Holmes could have contributed this season, he wouldn't have racked up all those DNP-CDs. He isn't a part of the program anymore.

Let's wait and see what happens.
For whatever reason Brown didn't like him. Even when Holmes got a start in LA and played really well, they went right back to not playing him at all. Didn't make much sense, unless they had already made up their mind that they were not interested in him staying with the team.

I wouldn't be surprised at all, if he gets back to playing well with a fresh start in Dallas. Just needs some consistent floor time to get it going

Brooks signed in Houston. This team is treading water while everyone else is getting better
Vezenkov at the 4 upgrade (probably), Lyles at the 5 (definite upgrade), Jones/Kessler/Duarte as your wing swings to fill that back-up 2/3 slot.

That's not treading water. That's upgrading the back-end of the rotation while keeping together one of the better top 8 rotations in basketball. All of whom have full year playing together and get a full off-season/training camp together.

There's literally not a single big FA deal I'm mad about passing on. KJ Martin for 2 2nd's is honestly the only deal so far I feel we should have been in on.

Barnes, Lyles, and Edwards stayed.

TD is likely gone, but I see Duarte as a better player (taller, better defender, has offensive game).

Metu is gone so we lost athleticism up front.

Holmes is gone but I think he was in his own head too much and never returned to his old self. I think Aleksander (Sasha), while is not what this team needs, is a comparable talent if not better. Sasha can shoot and has a high and quick release. This is a skill that translates.

We increased our wing depth while adding two young players in Col-Slaw. If Colby plays a lick of defense he'll be better than the sieve TD.

We cannot go into the season with one Center, so I'll reserve judgement until we make another move or two.

(So far)
Increased - shooting, youth, help on wing
Decreased - front court depth, athleticism

They tried to trade Holmes for the past year. He had no value at his current salary. In fact, he had negative value since we had to attach a 1st to get rid of the contract (unless you truly believe Monte just jumped at the chance to get a valuable asset for Holmes and just said, **** it let’s toss our first round pick in for the heck of it.) It is absolutely not the same thing as selling a pick for cash considerations. We did it to sign the players we have so far and either sign someone else and/or extend domas. The day and age of calling an owner cheap for not wanting to pay the luxury tax are long gone. There are actual negative team building impacts and penalties for spending too much on your teams salary under the new collective bargaining agreement.
I'm actually not against owners trying to make/save money. I'm also not against the idea of largely running it back with last year's group. Continuity is important and helpful, and in trying to short circuit the development process, we might disturb the team chemistry. A large bad contract can also set the team back. So, I don't have many problems with the moves themselves.

I do believe though, that "selling" Holmes' contract by bribing the Mavs with our FRP was a cheap move. Yes he didn't have much value (or perhaps -ve value, which is why we had to pay Mavs). I believe that that would have changed next year (or even at the deadline this year, if he got a chance to play). We didn't gain anything other than space, which we still have to use. Bringing back Barnes and Lyles could have been done without trading away Holmes. So, the only gain is Vivek's.

Perhaps Monte can still use it to orchestrate something, or use the TPE during the season as some folks have suggested. Perhaps he extends Domas. Don't understand CBA enough, but from some accounts, cap space was a requirement to do so. Maybe these end up being better value than FRP, or whatever Holmes could have netted next year. Where we are right now, it seems like a cheap move.

As to the highlighted part of your post above, I'm not saying we should hand out bloated contracts. All I'm saying is that the moves we made, we could have made without trading Holmes. We would have still remained below the LT. So Vivek is the only beneficiary from that move. That's pretty much the only point I'm making. Viewed from that reference, it is exactly like selling our FRP for cash.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
We didn't gain anything other than space, which we still have to use.

Perhaps Monte can still use it to orchestrate something, or use the TPE during the season as some folks have suggested. Perhaps he extends Domas. Don't understand CBA enough, but from some accounts, cap space was a requirement to do so. Maybe these end up being better value than FRP, or whatever Holmes could have netted next year. Where we are right now, it seems like a cheap move.
Twenty. Eight. Hours.

Untwist your panties and give the Executive of the Year a chance, will you? Sheesh. you would probably be on the deck of the Titanic complaining that it wasn't sinking fast enough. :rolleyes:

Twenty. Eight. Hours.

Untwist your panties and give the Executive of the Year a chance, will you? Sheesh. you would probably be on the deck of the Titanic complaining that it wasn't sinking fast enough. :rolleyes:
Fair point.

That said, I don't think we have much to play around with now. Once we resigned Barnes, our number dropped down to something in the MLE range, right? Perhaps a little extra. My point is that quite likely the moves we end up making could have been made without trading away the FRP.

Only good team with tons of cap space. We trade out first rounder, re-sign an aging vet who disappeared in the playoffs, and make no roster moves that fix our main concerns. We are running it back with a team that is really good but needed to make a splash in order to truly be a contender. Sasha is great and all but we don’t even know if that experiment will work out. We basically back to square one. What a disappointment. Full Kangz mode.
Good lord dude.. ONE year back to the playoffs and you think we need a big splash and replace people on a team that is a contender for years to come? Why on earth would you want to mess with the chemistry first of all and why would you want to take more members off a team that finished 3rd in the West?

Adding the MVP of Euro League, and a couple other players who will probably make us the best 3pt shooting team and best 2pt% team in the NBA, not to mention a team that can win on the road... You think that is bad? If we could figure things out at home we will be the best team in the NBA for freaks sake. We already a top 5 team in the entire NBA.. Where would you put us? And if outside of the top 5 name 6 teams better than us?

Last edited:
Fair point.

That said, I don't think we have much to play around with now. Once we resigned Barnes, our number dropped down to something in the MLE range, right? Perhaps a little extra. My point is that quite likely the moves we end up making could have been made without trading away the FRP.
Just saw that Len is coming back.

Again, I like the move itself. Yet again though, something that could have been done without trading the FRP, and makes it less likely we'll use the space we got by giving it away.

People really need to stop using this term. It's based in racism back when people were brought here as slaves and couldn't pronounce the word Kings.
The Sacramento "kangz" term was coined before the racist 4chan meme.... there's no correlation at all between this term and the racist one. Google says that the racist one was created in November 2015.

Looking back at Twitter, you can see Kings fans using it back in 2014.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Fair point.

But not just free agents - we can take salary back in a trade, etc. We have some options. It's been one day. Sheesh.

The Sacramento "kangz" term was coined before the racist 4chan meme.... there's no correlation at all between this term and the racist one
Ok, so I googled it. Here’s my take.

1. I personally never liked the Kangz thing, so I rarely if ever said it.

2. I don’t want to knowingly or unknowingly use terminology that can be deemed racist or bigoted.

3. With 1 and 2 being said, I’m not sure some morons on 4chan get to change the meaning of an innocuous saying that is used all over the place, even by Zach Lowe and other national media personalities.

The Sacramento "kangz" term was coined before the racist 4chan meme.... there's no correlation at all between this term and the racist one. Google says that the racist one was created in November 2015.

Looking back at Twitter, you can see Kings fans using it back in 2014.
I think you are right, but then again I think it does come from a derogatory place.. The whole "We was Kangz!" meme is a bit rude. It has to do with a lot of notable black people saying that the Egyptians were black, and then the meme "we was kangz" was created off of that as a bit of a "poking fun at people who said Egypt was black a couple thousand years ago".

It always amazes me that in every sport people always seem to forget that young players continue to get better.

Fox - 25
Sabonis - 27
Monk - 25
Keegan Murray - 22
Kevin Heurter - 24
Davian Mitchell - 24
Kessler Edwards - 22
Trey Lyles - 27
Chris Duarte - 26

Ya… I think we’ll be better next year lol

Nice troll job.

Paying Brooks 20 mill vs Barnes 17 is not an upgrade, especially when you take into account Brooks is a dumbass who can't shoot and his own team didn't want him.

That's a no from me dawg. Stop it.
I get you are the rainbows crowd and have always been……. But it wasn’t either or Barnes and Brooks. You could sign Brooks and go over the cap to sign Barnes.

we lost in the first round last year and now in the off season we:
1) we lost Prosper, Holmes, Metu, TD
2) gained Colby Jones, Duarte

Everyone else we had the rights to already and could have signed without the Holmes move.

we could easily had a line up of

Sabonis/Queta/Holmes
Murray/Lyles or Vezenkov
Barnes/ Kessler or Prosper
Huerter / Ellis or Jones
Fox / Monk / Mitchell

2 way: Slawson

instead our line-up is

Sabonis/Queta/Len???
Murray/Lyles or Vezenkov
Barnes/Kessler/Slawson???
Huerter/Duarte/Jones
Fox/Monk/Mitchell

2 way: Ellis, Slawson???

The difference
  • Vivek saves money (+)
  • We are stronger at 2 but don’t have more than TD minutes for that guy (-)
  • We are dependent on Kessler being improved versus Kessler or Prosper (-)
  • We still have holes at backup center and the 3 that we are looking at 3rd tier guys. (-)
Any other org would be roasted for what happened in the off season so far

dude12

Hall of Famer
I get you are the rainbows crowd and have always been……. But it wasn’t either or Barnes and Brooks. You could sign Brooks and go over the cap to sign Barnes.

Everyone else we had the rights to already and could have signed without the Holmes move.

Sabonis/Queta/Holmes
Murray/Lyles or Vezenkov
Huerter / Ellis or Jones
Fox / Monk / Mitchell

instead our line-up is

Sabonis/Queta/Len???
Murray/Lyles or Vezenkov
Huerter/Duarte/Jones
Fox/Monk/Mitchell

The difference
  • Vivek saves money (+)
  • We still have holes at backup center and the 3 that we are looking at 3rd tier guys. (-)
Lol. The hate for Monte is strong

Sabonis/Queta/Holmes
Murray/Lyles or Vezenkov
Huerter / Ellis or Jones
Fox / Monk / Mitchell

instead our line-up is

Sabonis/Queta/Len???
Murray/Lyles or Vezenkov
Huerter/Duarte/Jones
Fox/Monk/Mitchell

The difference
  • Vivek saves money (+)
Inking Sabonis for 5 years and locking up your core while tinkering with peripheral pieces and banking on improvement > than anything you are talking about.

Especially not Brooks at his signed contract. You're silly.