What an abysmal offseason.

Only good team with tons of cap space. We trade out first rounder, re-sign an aging vet who disappeared in the playoffs, and make no roster moves that fix our main concerns. We are running it back with a team that is really good but needed to make a splash in order to truly be a contender. Sasha is great and all but we don’t even know if that experiment will work out. We basically back to square one. What a disappointment. Full Kangz mode.

I think Chris Duarte will be a good pickup.

But I do agree we need like one more Bruce Brownish type piece.

Doesn't have to be a big name but I think with that we're ok heading into the season.

I also don't think of Colby Jones as a 2nd round pick.

I treat him as a first rounder pick and kind of think he's going to be good

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
Only good team with tons of cap space. We trade out first rounder, re-sign an aging vet who disappeared in the playoffs, and make no roster moves that fix our main concerns. We are running it back with a team that is really good but needed to make a splash in order to truly be a contender. Sasha is great and all but we don’t even know if that experiment will work out. We basically back to square one. What a disappointment. Full Kangz mode.
What would you have done differently, now that a good chunk of the chips have fallen? How about actually posting something "better" that can be discussed?

The pick doesn't make sense to me, I agree. But this last remaining chunk of space is basically what we freed up in the trade. Until that's used, (Domas extension, trade, etc) we don't know how to properly evaluate that trade.

I don't think I could disagree with you any more than I do now.

Say you don't know about basketball without saying you don't know about basketball.

What would you have done differently, now that a good chunk of the chips have fallen? How about actually posting something "better" that can be discussed?

The pick doesn't make sense to me, I agree. But this last remaining chunk of space is basically what we freed up in the trade. Until that's used, (Domas extension, trade, etc) we don't know how to properly evaluate that trade.
We could have retained our FRP for one. We didn't end up using the cap space anyway. That saved some money for Vivek, and good for him. As a team though, it doesn't help us, and gives us a bad image.

It also robbed us of a chance to use Holmes' contract in a trade. It could have been valuable next season as an expiring, and the fact that Holmes can still contribute. In fact, given how thin we are at 5, it could have been useful this year if we face any injury concerns.

Monte needs to add another piece after dumping our 1st round pick. If we don’t add anyone substantial, I think it’ll be one of his worst moves as a GM. Not only that, but you actually help out an in-conference rival who’s also trying to contend.

We could have retained our FRP for one. We didn't end up using the cap space anyway. That saved some money for Vivek, and good for him. As a team though, it doesn't help us, and gives us a bad image.

It also robbed us of a chance to use Holmes' contract in a trade. It could have been valuable next season as an expiring, and the fact that Holmes can still contribute. In fact, given how thin we are at 5, it could have been useful this year if we face any injury concerns.
The free agent season just started; you don't know yet if it will be used.

If Holmes could have contributed this season, he wouldn't have racked up all those DNP-CDs. He isn't a part of the program anymore.

Let's wait and see what happens.

We’re literally only 24 hours into free agency
true and you do still have options like Dillon Brooks available. While not ideal he would still help the defense.

that said the Kings had earned some degree of national respect and thus far appear to have reverted back. The National basketball podcast I listened to this morning said Duarte…. Kangz …. Then moved on not to discuss them again.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Monte needs to add another piece after dumping our 1st round pick. If we don’t add anyone substantial, I think it’ll be one of his worst moves as a GM. Not only that, but you actually help out an in-conference rival who’s also trying to contend.
Assuming we keep 12 million in space or that TPE I think that plenty of moves will open up.

Some people seem resigned to losing Monk next year too, but the money we have saved may facilitate that. I think losing Monk would be disastrous.

Assuming we keep 12 million in space or that TPE I think that plenty of moves will open up.

Some people seem resigned to losing Monk next year too, but the money we have saved may facilitate that. I think losing Monk would be disastrous.
Monk is my #1 King favourite. He ain’t going nowhere.
Bam will eventually end up here as well

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Monk is my #1 King favourite. He ain’t going nowhere.
Bam will eventually end up here as well
I hope not but we are extremely limited with what we can pay him, I think ~17.4 million starting salary under the early-Bird rules unless we have some cap space.

That said maybe you give him an opt out after the first year and can then have full Bird rights?
Calling @Capt. Factorial does it work like that?

The moves I really wanted were all by trade. Who knows what the price was.

I wasn’t really feeling the free agent class at all. Ultimately, i wish we looked for more size and rebounding instead of bringing back HB but even that was in low supply….and restricted. I had hoped that there was move that could move Keegan to the 4 but that was by trade, most scenarios demanded Keegan in return.

You basically had slightly better but far more expensive and usage ambitious versions of Barnes in Kuzma and Johnson available, a splashy name like Draymond who stylistically made no sense on the Kings for the price and role prominence.

I would’ve liked maybe a flier on a Cam Reddish sized wing but Monte is clearly thinking small ball with Kessler Edwards as the possible reinforcement for when bigger wings start causing trouble.

I had long expected that the biggest acquisition the Kings would make in the off-season was Sasha Vezenkov. To me that’s a big pickup. I think he’s going to be awesome.

The only thing that briefly made me expect more was unloading Holmes and 24 but maybe Jones is who they would’ve taken at 24 anyway? most mocks for months had the Kings taking Jones.

Id still like to see a big man signed but the Kings have improved their bench in my eyes and that was the major thing. Kings had one of the best starting lineups last season and will have one of the best starting lineups this coming season. The bench will have a mix of continuity and more scoring punch and versatility next season. Kings are a young team of guys just entering their primes.

I hope not but we are extremely limited with what we can pay him, I think ~17.4 million starting salary under the early-Bird rules unless we have some cap space.
This is roughly like a 4/80 deal. If he walks for more than that.. meh. Not much you can really do, as much as a staple as he is to this team.

My guess is he'll take that and run though. I'm pretty sure he loves what building in Sac and loves playing with his best friend. And for a dude who's never gotten a contract, 4/80 is pretty damn good for locking up your prime years to play with your best friend.

The free agent season just started; you don't know yet if it will be used.

If Holmes could have contributed this season, he wouldn't have racked up all those DNP-CDs. He isn't a part of the program anymore.

Let's wait and see what happens.
If I understand correctly, we have already used by most of our space. I'll be happy if the team can still use the money, but I think we have less money left than the MLE. We may end up signing a backup C, but could have potentially done that with the MLE too.

As for Holmes, I made two distinct points; his contract as a trade chip, that you didn't comment on, and his value on the current roster.

I agree that he was not in the plans any more. Trading him likely helps him, so good on Monte for doing that. From a team's perspective though, we are going into the season with Domas, an untested Neemias, and an undersized Lyles. Domas was superman last year, playing through a myriad of injuries. While I give him tons of credit for that, most good teams go with a reliable backup, and a third center who can contribute when needed. We aren't. Lyles played well last year, but Holmes was asked to start (and played well), when Domas was out. We also had Len.

Let's see if Monte brings someone in. Unless Neemias is ready, that position looks thin to me, and we traded away a reliable backup, with potential to bring in a useful piece, for money.

If Monte had sold a SRP for "cash considerations", the fan base would have been up in arms. How is this different? It's just more egregious, since we sold our FRP.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
This is roughly like a 4/80 deal. If he walks for more than that.. meh. Not much you can really do, as much as a staple as he is to this team.

My guess is he'll take that and run though. I'm pretty sure he loves what building in Sac and loves playing with his best friend. And for a dude who's never gotten a contract, 4/80 is pretty damn good for locking up your prime years to play with your best friend.
fair point
-----

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
If I understand correctly, we have already used by most of our space. I'll be happy if the team can still use the money, but I think we have less money left than the MLE. We may end up signing a backup C, but could have potentially done that with the MLE too.

As for Holmes, I made two distinct points; his contract as a trade chip, that you didn't comment on, and his value on the current roster.

I agree that he was not in the plans any more. Trading him likely helps him, so good on Monte for doing that. From a team's perspective though, we are going into the season with Domas, an untested Neemias, and an undersized Lyles. Domas was superman last year, playing through a myriad of injuries. While I give him tons of credit for that, most good teams go with a reliable backup, and a third center who can contribute when needed. We aren't. Lyles played well last year, but Holmes was asked to start (and played well), when Domas was out. We also had Len.

Let's see if Monte brings someone in. Unless Neemias is ready, that position looks thin to me, and we traded away a reliable backup, with potential to bring in a useful piece, for money.

If Monte had sold a SRP for "cash considerations", the fan base would have been up in arms. How is this different? It's just more egregious, since we sold our FRP.
Lyles falls under early-Bird so he actually will get signed last along with Sasha at the room exception.

So I do believe that we either have Holmes's money or a TPE from the trade to work with, which is actually slightly more than the MLE.

Some have even said it's closer to 18 million but I'm not sure how they are getting that. PJ Dozier possibly and one or two other pieces I'm missing?

Lyles falls under early-Bird so he actually will get signed last along with Sasha at the room exception.

So I do believe that we either have Holmes's money or a TPE from the trade to work with, which is actually slightly more than the MLE.

Some have even said it's closer to 18 million but I'm not sure how they are getting that. PJ Dozier possibly and one or two other pieces I'm missing?
It's still technically 18 mil since Duarte trade hasn't become official yet. But assuming we're just taking him for a fake 2nd, we effectively have just above an MLE contract, unless we do some sort of trade wizardry.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

That said maybe you give him an opt out after the first year and can then have full Bird rights?
Calling @Capt. Factorial does it work like that?
We wouldn't even have to give him more than one year or an opt-out for a second year. If he signs a one-year deal with the Kings in '24-'25, that would mean he played for the Kings three consecutive years and we would have full Bird rights.

The only "KaNgZ" thing about this post is the poster.