Kings trade Richaun Holmes and 24th overall pick to Mavericks for ????

Nah man, no Draymond Green. It's not going to work out. First of all, there is one ball to go around and by having Green there, it reduces Sabonis role as a passer and running the fastbreak also (which is what make the Kings great). It also prevents Fox from attacking the paint because they ain't going to guard Green where as before they have to guard Barnes. It only work if Green is a lethal shooter from downtown or if he sub in for Sabonis. He definitely will help tremendously on defense though. The Kings is better off with players like OG Anunoby.

Last edited:
I'd guess that when the Kings and Dallas were talking during the draft, Dallas said "We'll take Holmes and #24, and you can select one from this list of assets." Monte then said, "We accept the trade, but it's the middle of the draft and we can't do our due diligence on this list of assets. We will agree to the trade in principle and get you our selection in the morning."

Who knows whether those assets are second round picks, or unsigned player rights, or cash, or what. To be honest, Dallas has extremely little to offer - their unsigned draft picks are both 35 or over, they may or may not have their 2025 second, and they've got a 2030 second. Monte may be agonizing over a second vs. cash.
can you please explain how cap holds work? Can they free up more space by renouncing HB or are they pretty much set at 36mil? TY in advance

Green played for Brown with 3 other world class / all time best shooters surrounding him, Steph, Klay and KD.

The Kings 2 stars are not 3 point shooters (Fox and Sabonis). The reason why the Kings offense was so good this year was because of spacing at the other 3 spots next to Fox and Sabonis.

Insert Draymond in the starting 5 and you have 3 non-shooters in the starting line up and clogging the lanes for Fox and Sabonis to operate.
Fox is not a 3-point shooter? What are you watching? Sabonis ain't bad either. He can nail them...just not at a high clips. Sabonis and Fox can be pretty clutch from the 3s.

Obviously we can use our cap space on many of the FAs out there, but McNair could have a trade lined up where he would be using that cap space to absorb a player. Filtering to who may be available, fits our timeline somewhat, would help improve the defense, and plays a position of need, this could be a list of guys he’s considering:
  1. Andrew Wiggins
  2. Jaylen Brown
  3. John Collins
  4. Mikal Bridges
  5. OG Anunoby & Gary Trent
  6. Pascal Siakam

If his plan is to not use that cap space via a trade and instead use it to sign 1 big FA, he’s likely looking at:
  1. Cam Johnson
  2. Jerami Grant

I didn’t include Middleton and Green because of their age (and I don’t like the fit with Green considering his shooting).

If he is not targeting one big name in FA and instead is thinking of signing two solid FAs, he’s likely looking at trying to sign two of these guys:
  1. Austin Reaves
  2. Bruce Brown
  3. Grant Williams
  4. Harrison Barnes
  5. Josh Hart
  6. Kyle Kuzma
  7. Naz Reid
  8. PJ Washington

Fox is not a 3-point shooter? What are you watching? Sabonis ain't bad either. He can nail them...just not at a high clips. Sabonis and Fox can be pretty clutch from the 3s.
Fox shot three’s at 32.4% last year. Sabonis made a decent percentage (37%) but only attempted 1.1 per game.

Clearly not elite floor spacers like the Warriors had around Draymond. Fox and Sabonis elite games are attacking the lane, which Green would clog.

Obviously we can use our cap space on many of the FAs out there, but McNair could have a trade lined up where he would be using that cap space to absorb a player. Filtering to who may be available, fits our timeline somewhat, would help improve the defense, and plays a position of need, this could be a list of guys he’s considering:
  1. Andrew Wiggins
  2. Jaylen Brown
  3. John Collins
  4. Mikal Bridges
  6. Pascal Siakam

If his plan is to not use that cap space via a trade and instead use it to sign 1 big FA, he’s likely looking at:
  1. Cam Johnson
  2. Jerami Grant

I didn’t include Middleton and Green because of their age (and I don’t like the fit with Green considering his shooting).

If he is not targeting one big name in FA and instead is thinking of signing two solid FAs, he’s likely looking at trying to sign two of these guys:
  1. Austin Reaves
  2. Bruce Brown
  3. Grant Williams
  4. Harrison Barnes
  5. Josh Hart
  6. Kyle Kuzma
  7. Naz Reid
  8. PJ Washington
Good breakdown here. I think my favorite route is going and getting Grant Williams or PJW and then Bruce Brown or Josh Hart as your super sub off the bench. Money should work where you can still keep Trey Lyles too.

A fun/super unrealistic route is trading Huerter for Cam Johnson S&T and then going and stealing Reaves from the Lakers. Pretty sure that would still leave room to go get one more guy.

1. Andrew Wiggins
  2. Jaylen Brown
  3. John Collins
  4. Mikal Bridges
  6. Pascal Siakam

1. Cam Johnson
  2. Jerami Grant

1. Austin Reaves
  2. Bruce Brown
  3. Grant Williams
  4. Harrison Barnes
  5. Josh Hart
  6. Kyle Kuzma
  7. Naz Reid
  8. PJ Washington
Thinking about this some more, I don’t think I’d predict that McNair is wanting to go the trade route.

Holmes/#24 could have been used in place of that cap space in the “big trade.” Maybe there is a team that would prefer straight cap space vs. Holmes/#24 but it doesn’t seem like a crazy deal breaker. And even if it is, that package could be routed to a 3rd team for cap space. Just don’t think it makes much sense if that’s the direction.

I think this is likely a play for Jerami Grant or Cam Johnson, and I think it may be for Jerami Grant.

McNair might have been patiently waiting to see if POR was going to trade #3 for win now help to appease Lillard. That obviously didn’t happen last night which may have signaled to McNair that POR may likely trade Lillard and rebuild around Scoot, Simons, K. Johnson, Sharpe, Rupert, Murray, Little, and all the assets they can get for Lillard (not a bad jump start to the rebuild). And since they could very likely be rebuilding, they likely wouldn’t look to resign the 29 year old Grant. Thus, McNair made the trade to clear more cap space to be in a position to offer Grant an attractive contract.

If POR ultimately does decide to tear it down and not try and win now with Lillard, Grant, etc., there is not another team that can offer Grant a lucrative contract while playing for a top team (as a 29 year old, I’m sure playing on a contending team is high on the priority list).

McNair probably thinks we’re in a really good spot to persuade him considering POR didn’t end up making a win now move last night. We’ll see what McNair has in store for us…

EDIT: And it was reported that McNair was going after Anunoby but so got the impression that TOR was asking for too much (Mitchell + 2 1sts, Holmes + Mitchell + 3 1sts, Huerter, Mitchell + 1st, etc.) so instead he moved on and is targeting another player with a very similar archetype…
  • PF with excellent size/length
  • Great defender
  • Can help protect the rim
  • Solid shooter
  • Solid secondary scorer

I would imagine Anunoby and Grant may be paid similarly once Anunoby signs a new contract next season, so McNair might be thinking would I rather have…

Grant, Mitchell, 2026-28 1st, & 2028-30 1st

…or…

Anunoby & $15 mil in cap space?

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Also, this. And you don't even have to screw around with RFA, just convince a couple quality UFA to join up
If you time things right, you can pick up free agents and still have the space/exceptions to sign Sasha and pick up another piece via trade.

when Monte first came to the front office he talked about maintaining max flexibility to make a big play when the right opportunity presented itself. We’re in that position again except this time we’re good

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
At this point (especially after trading Poole for CP3) the Warriors are clearly still trying to contend while Steph's window is open. I'd be pretty surprised if they don't re-sign Draymond. I have questions about the fit and chemistry, but mostly I don't need to see the Kings used for leverage for a guy to get a bigger deal with his existing team. Hard pass for me.

Well guess what team just came into a large amount of cap space, could actually use a lot of those pieces, and kinda wants its draft pick back next year.
Yeah this is smelling pretty smelly. Not only is Murray an UFA next season, but Okongwu is a RFA and Bey, who they traded 17 2nd round picks for is a RFA. Either Collins or Hunter would work for me.

They're set at 36mil. HB is not under contract.
that’s what I thought, but then I heard about them being able to renounce he, and other FAs, cap holds to free up max space
No, Holmes is off the books but the free agents still have holds unless and until they are renounced or sign elsewhere. Every comment about space really should be “the Kings *have the ability to open up* the space”.

Or the Kings threaten the Lakers - we will sign Austin Reeves to a contract that you cannot afford unless you trade us Vanderbilt for a couple 2nds.
I know you're joking, but the Lakers have no reason to let Reaves walk and will easily match whatever 4 year $80M ish contract he receives. Which is good if the Kings are the ones that bid because Reaves is a 12ppg player who got hot in the playoffs because Lebron and Davis were being double teamed and he was wide open every single play, and he also got a green light because their third option in DLO became unplayable.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Well guess what team just came into a large amount of cap space, could actually use a lot of those pieces, and kinda wants its draft pick back next year.
A draft pick in the mid to late 20s is not worth bailing the Hawks out of their salary cap mess. None of those guys are worth what they're being paid. They give us Onyeka or no deal.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I know you're joking, but the Lakers have no reason to let Reaves walk and will easily match whatever 4 year $80M ish contract he receives. Which is good if the Kings are the ones that bid because Reaves is a 12ppg player who got hot in the playoffs because Lebron and Davis were being double teamed and he was wide open every single play, and he also got a green light because their third option in DLO became unplayable.
They literally can’t match a big contract like that.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah this is smelling pretty smelly. Not only is Murray an UFA next season, but Okongwu is a RFA and Bey, who they traded 17 2nd round picks for is a RFA. Either Collins or Hunter would work for me.
We also know that Collins is a guy that Monte has tried to acquire in the past.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
can you please explain how cap holds work? Can they free up more space by renouncing HB or are they pretty much set at 36mil? TY in advance
The point of a cap hold is as follows: If you have the right to sign a player to a contract in excess of the salary cap (e.g. Bird Rights, these are called "exceptions"), the league assigns an arbitrarily-valued cap hold (based on what the player might be paid) as if you had actually already signed the player. This is ultimately to prevent teams from being able to use both salary cap exceptions AND salary cap space.

A fictional example might be useful: The salary cap is $100M and the Lakers have no players under contract, but have three free agents for whom they own Bird Rights. Via Bird Rights they can pay LeBron $50M, they can pay Shaq $50M, and they can pay Jordan $50M. If there were no cap holds, the Lakers would have $0M in actual salaries, and they could sign free agent Curry for $50M, then sign free agent Kobe for $50M, coming up to the salary cap of $100M, THEN turn around and use their Bird Rights on LeBron, Shaq, and Jordan, creating the superest of super teams and having a total salary of $250M. However, the cap holds for LeBron, Shaq, and Jordan come up to $150M, so the Lakers are effectively over the cap. If they wish to sign Kobe, they have to renounce at least two of LeBron/Shaq/Jordan. So cap holds prevent teams from using cap space to sign free agents and THEN sign their own free agents.

Here is a different and more useful fictional example of how things normally work: The salary cap is $100M and the Kings have $70M of contracts. However, they also have two free agents for whom they own Bird Rights. Jones has a cap hold of $25M, and Smith has a cap hold of $10M. If cap holds were not a thing, the Kings would be able to sign $30M of free agents, and THEN sign both Jones and Smith above and beyond the salary cap. However, with cap holds, the Kings' effective salary is $70M + $25M + $10M, which is $105M, and over the cap. As such, the Kings are considered to be over the cap, and cannot use cap space to sign other teams' free agents. Additionally, as a consequence of being over the cap, the Kings automatically acquire two additional exceptions, the Mid-Level Exception (MLE, let's call it $10M) and, if not used the prior year, the Bi-Annual Exception (BAE, let's call it $5M). Those exceptions ALSO count against the Kings' effective salary as if they had been used, so the Kings' cap number is actually $120M.

If the Kings wish to spend money on other teams' free agents, they can only do this with cap room, which they do not currently have. (We'll ignore sign-and-trades.) However, the Kings can generate cap room by renouncing their exceptions and/or their Bird Rights to Smith and/or Jones. Once those rights are renounced, they are gone, and do not come back.

Let's imagine the Kings wish to sign free agent Brown, who will command $20M. That would mean they have to get their cap number down to $80M from its current $120M. Renouncing Smith ($10M) will not initially help. The Kings therefore renounce their $25M rights to Jones. That brings them down to $95M. Now they are under the salary cap. Because they went under the salary cap, the MLE and the BAE magically disappear, so the team salary has been reduced by another $15M to $80M, precisely what they needed to sign Brown. The Kings sign Brown to a $20M contract, meaning that they now have a cap number of $100M, which consists of $90M in salaries (their original $70M plus $20M for Brown) and the $10M cap hold for Smith. Now they can sign Smith, let's say for $7M, and they have a total salary of $97M and remain "under the cap". However, by spending "close" to the cap in free agency, they now generate a second MLE called the Room MLE (worth less than the MLE and more than the BAE, so let's say $7M). The Kings use the entirety of the $7M Room MLE on free agent Williams, bringing their salary to $104M. The Kings now have no exceptions remaining, so if they need to acquire other players, they need to do it either via trade or via minimum salary (minimum salaries are ALWAYS excepted from salary cap rules).

As you can see, the Kings initially could have acquired a total of $120M of contracts, had they signed Jones and Smith to the largest deals possible and used their MLE and BAE. Instead, they chose to move away from Jones, and to go after Brown and ultimately Williams instead. They were able to do it, but they were NOT able to go as far above the salary cap - they only went to $104M (they could have gotten to $107M). The NBA, then, enables teams to exceed the salary cap more extensively by resigning their own players than by signing free agents. Since there are some paradoxical benefits to operating over the salary cap (e.g. the MLE and BAE, and having larger salaries to trade for larger salaries) many teams prefer to operate over the cap as a rule. This system therefore discourages free agent movement.

A draft pick in the mid to late 20s is not worth bailing the Hawks out of their salary cap mess. None of those guys are worth what they're being paid. They give us Onyeka or no deal.
I wouldn't look at it like this at all. It's basically getting our pick back and "signing" Collins or Hunter in FA.

My brain too small to 100% know if this were right, but if we absorbed one of them, got our 24 pick back, we'd basically have traded the 23 FRP and Holmes+2nds (Im assuming) for Huerter and Collins or Hunter if we combined both deals. That seems really really good.