Kings trade Richaun Holmes and 24th overall pick to Mavericks for ????

Grant (Williams) can plays defense too
sort of. I watch a ton of Boston and he is more a 4 small ball 5 defender. Butler cooked him. We need a guy, like Prosper, who can guard the 2-3.

if we did this just to give us space to sign Domas and Barnes we essentially sold a pick yet again. It’s going to really hurt if we are watching a Dallas team with Hardy and Prosper contributing and beating us.

A draft pick in the mid to late 20s is not worth bailing the Hawks out of their salary cap mess. None of those guys are worth what they're being paid. They give us Onyeka or no deal.
It’s not just getting our draft pick back next year. It also immediately gives us much more flexibility on trades considering we could offer up multiple 1st round picks in a trade again.

sort of. I watch a ton of Boston and he is more a 4 small ball 5 defender. Butler cooked him. We need a guy, like Prosper, who can guard the 2-3.

if we did this just to give us space to sign Domas and Barnes we essentially sold a pick yet again. It’s going to really hurt if we are watching a Dallas team with Hardy and Prosper contributing and beating us.
Yea extended Domas and Barnes would be the worst timeline. You do this sort of deal because you're trying to add another core rotation piece or 2 before we're out of cap space and have to spend for Domas and Monk. Would reek of being ultra conservative if they did that.

I'm just not worried at all about Domas hitting UFA. Give him his money, he's going to resign. Kings are good, he had a career season, all his family is in California, we can give him the most money. I'd be stunned if he went anywhere else.

Grant (Williams) can plays defense too
He’s also considerably cheaper. If they do want to get Domas inked go an extension (although granted I don’t totally understand how that impacts the current year cap), a cheaper Grant Williams addition may work and also allow
Them to retain Barnes on a team friendly deal. With that said, not sure I’m necessarily the biggest Grant Williams fan.

Obviously we can use our cap space on many of the FAs out there, but McNair could have a trade lined up where he would be using that cap space to absorb a player. Filtering to who may be available, fits our timeline somewhat, would help improve the defense, and plays a position of need, this could be a list of guys he’s considering:
  1. Andrew Wiggins
  2. Jaylen Brown
  3. John Collins
  4. Mikal Bridges
  5. OG Anunoby & Gary Trent
  6. Pascal Siakam

If his plan is to not use that cap space via a trade and instead use it to sign 1 big FA, he’s likely looking at:
  1. Cam Johnson
  2. Jerami Grant

I didn’t include Middleton and Green because of their age (and I don’t like the fit with Green considering his shooting).

If he is not targeting one big name in FA and instead is thinking of signing two solid FAs, he’s likely looking at trying to sign two of these guys:
  1. Austin Reaves
  2. Bruce Brown
  3. Grant Williams
  4. Harrison Barnes
  5. Josh Hart
  6. Kyle Kuzma
  7. Naz Reid
  8. PJ Washington
sadly listening to the Kings talking heads this could well be about selling the pick so we can resign Barnes and extend Domas without going over the cap.

Vivek extends his trend of selling draft assets for nothing.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I wouldn't look at it like this at all. It's basically getting our pick back and "signing" Collins or Hunter in FA.

My brain too small to 100% know if this were right, but if we absorbed one of them, got our 24 pick back, we'd basically have traded the 23 FRP and Holmes+2nds (Im assuming) for Huerter and Collins or Hunter if we combined both deals. That seems really really good.
So we trade away this year's pick for cap space which we then use to get next year's pick back? That seems pointless. I'd rather have HB back than pay either John Collins or DeAndre Hunter their current salaries. Clint Capela should have a couple good years left in him as a rebounding big but he would be a $20 million a year backup C on our team. Atlanta wants to move these guys for a reason. Yes we could absorb them into our cap space for nothing but then we would have no cap space. None of these guys is the missing piece for us. Let someone else waste their money on them.

Yea extended Domas and Barnes would be the worst timeline. You do this sort of deal because you're trying to add another core rotation piece or 2 before we're out of cap space and have to spend for Domas and Monk. Would reek of being ultra conservative if they did that.

I'm just not worried at all about Domas hitting UFA. Give him his money, he's going to resign. Kings are good, he had a career season, all his family is in California, we can give him the most money. I'd be stunned if he went anywhere else.
yeah I agree but the current talking heads from Barling and Hamm sounds like a Monte PR campaign…..

sadly listening to the Kings talking heads this could well be about selling the pick so we can resign Barnes and extend Domas without going over the cap.

Vivek extends his trend of selling draft assets for nothing.
Shouldn't you wait for that to actually happen before blasting the Kings for doing this? I keep seeing this on posts and Twitter comments, but no one has any actual intel that this is what is going on. It is just a bunch of hand wringing by a fragile and battered fanbase who assumes the worst about every management move, despite a year plus of really good, strong, solid management moves that earned our team the Exec of the Year award. Using this cap space to extend Barnes and Domas is exactly the opposite of the types of moves Monte has been making.

If we use the cap space to extend Domas and Barnes then I will eat my crow, but there is literally NO INTEL that this is what we are doing except for people jumping to this conclusion.

“The guy the Kings drafted for another team is The One That Got Away” is nearing “it’s a (Kings pick-1) player draft” status.
It’s easy to get overhyped about late first/second round picks. We all live in the moment…. I’m sure there are more, but the only one in recent years I can remember being pissed about at the time that truly seemed to come back to bite us is Gary Trent Jr. The guy has turned into a legit valuable piece. However for every Trent Jr. there are probably 10 other guys I was sure would flourish that do nothing and probably just as many second round nobodies that have shocked the world. Late draft picks are usually a pretty big crap shoot.

yeah I agree but the current talking heads from Barling and Hamm sounds like a Monte PR campaign…..

The funny thing about this tweet is that all 3 of these things could have been done without shedding Holmes contract. Considering that, I don’t think this is the plan and I think you have people just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

We all saw how tight lipped McNair was at the presser. Do we think he is being loose lipped with these talking heads behind closed doors? I’m skeptical.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Every single national guy is like “woah! What are the kings doing? I’m hearing about them talking to stars!” But sure go with whatever halfcocked statement James “Keegan Murray isn’t a rotation level player and picking him would be a disaster” Ham cooked up.

They literally can’t match a big contract like that.
I thought because of the Arenas rule that the team that offered the deal had to do so in a way that the Lakers could match? Which meant the Lakers could match and pay less early, and more later. But I could be wrong, cap stuff normally goes over my head.

I thought because of the Arenas rule that the team that offered the deal had to do so in a way that the Lakers could match? Which meant the Lakers could match and pay less early, and more later. But I could be wrong, cap stuff normally goes over my head.
As I understand it, the Lakers have the ability to match as long as they don’t use their MLE.

The issue is they could be stuck with a poison pill contract where they’d be paying Reaves $12-13 mil the first two seasons and then $35-$37 mil the last two seasons (~$98 mil over 4 years) while the team that makes the offer to Reaves can have that amount smoothed over the 4 years (e.g., $24.5 mil / year).

The funny thing about this tweet is that all 3 of these things could have been done without shedding Holmes contract. Considering that, I don’t think this is the plan and I think you have people just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

We all saw how tight lipped McNair was at the presser. Do we think he is being loose lipped with these talking heads behind closed doors? I’m skeptical.
yeah except you have Barling, Hamm and Dave all saying the same thing which feels like a Kings PR campaign.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The tweet so nice Tetsu posted it twice. . .

I have some quibbles with the player rankings themselves, but the biggest issue with this list is that it's not taking into account the cost to acquire someone.

Sure, Anunoby would be an upgrade from Barnes. But is Anunoby an upgrade from Barnes, Huerter, Mitchell and a FRP? I'd say no.

I'm not as high on Naz Reid for the Kings than others but I'd still have him higher on this list.

And I'm definitely not on the Jerami Grant train.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I would hope so….
There's no team in Seattle or LV yet, so you've got the Texas teams and Florida teams, I think only Houston and San Antonio can spend right now. Neither are contenders. Miami is probably the only attractive destination from an off court perspective outside of taxes.

If one of those teams gets good and has room that's where you're in trouble (Dallas and Miami historically).

Meh. neither guy is really all that plugged in with the inner circle imo. Ham spent the last year complaining about it.

Monte has a pretty clear means of operating. He stays quiet, he sticks with the status quo... until he doesn't. Whenever he's aggressive, like this move is, it's for a big move or to set up a big move. Extending Sabonis early and bringing back HB would be incredibly conversative and go against pretty much everything he's put on paper so far with his process.

perhaps or perhaps he was ordered by Vivek and had nothing positive to say….

we shall see but this smells like a PR Campaign to justify basically selling the pick when a guy who was a perfect fit as a lockdown defender was right there….

I hope I’m wrong but don’t like what I’m hearing.

Every single national guy is like “woah! What are the kings doing? I’m hearing about them talking to stars!” But sure go with whatever halfcocked statement James “Keegan Murray isn’t a rotation level player and picking him would be a disaster” Ham cooked up.
again if it were just Hamm it would be one thing. It’s not…. Again we can all be hopeful but the chorus is all in unison.

But why would Holmes have to be traded to conduct such a PR campaign? They could have not made the trade and do the exact same PR campaign. Doesn’t smell right.
The PR Campaign, if that is what is happening, is to justify selling the pick to save money and extend Sabonis.

no other team sells picks like the Kings.

Meh. neither guy is really all that plugged in with the inner circle imo. Ham spent the last year complaining about it.

Monte has a pretty clear means of operating. He stays quiet, he sticks with the status quo... until he doesn't. Whenever he's aggressive, like this move is, it's for a big move or to set up a big move. Extending Sabonis early and bringing back HB would be incredibly conversative and go against pretty much everything he's put on paper so far with his process.
we are going to all know for sure in a week or so.

Those are pretty specific numbers and he has a track record of reliable info now.

Domas would need a 5 mil dollar raise to get to those extension numbers. 20 mil for Barnes. If we did we would have the mid level, the biannual and the Sactown Dogs favorite TPE correct?

-locked up Domas
-Barnes on a team friendly tradable contract
-two 12 million dollar contracts to hand out.