Kings Playoff Standings Watch!!!

Looking forward to the test we have coming against teams like the Suns, C’s and Bucks. We’re better now than the last time we played those eastern squads
Against the best teams in the NBA, the team needs Davis, Metu, and to lesser extents Murray, Michell, Barnes to all play better. Aspects like Free Throws, turnovers, steals, shot blocking, and rebounding become more important in games against the NBA's top. A good shooting game may not be enough.

Against the best teams in the NBA, the team needs Davis, Metu, and to lesser extents Murray, Michell, Barnes to all play better. Aspects like Free Throws, turnovers, steals, shot blocking, and rebounding become more important in games against the NBA's top. A good shooting game may not be enough.
I had a feeling that our coaches rant on boxing out and playing defense not only was about the last game but about what we have to do in the next couple of game and even tell the end of the regular season.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Kings Playoff Tracker

Note that teams are listed in order of the Kings' magic number, which is affected by tiebreakers, so the order may be slightly different than the order in the actual standings. Eliminated teams will be removed from the tracker after one day.

I have moved the Kings to #2, because we currently hold the tiebreaker against Memphis, but the tiebreaker is not final.

Please note that the best conference win% tiebreaker may be pre-empted by division standings, because division winners get the second tiebreaker over non-division winners.

Today's games (9):
Huge win tonight in Phoenix! The Suns are now 4 games back of us in the loss column!

LAC def. Knicks
UTA def. Hornets
MEM def. DAL
OKC def. NOP
GSW def. Bucks
SAC def. PHX

Magic Number To Eliminate (TB=TieBreaker):
DEN (46-21) 22, 15 games remaining, TB 1-1, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
SAC (40-26) --, 16 games remaining
MEM (40-26) 17, 16 games remaining, TB 2-2 (best conference win% gets TB, Kings currently lead)
PHX (37-30) 13, 15 games remaining, TB=Suns
GSW (35-33) 10, 14 games remaining, TB 1-2, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
DAL (34-34) 9, 14 games remaining, TB 1-1, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
--- Playoffs ---
MIN (34-34) 9, 14 games remaining, TB 1-2, 1 to play (best conference win% gets TB if tied)
LAC (36-33) 9, 13 games remaining, TB=Kings
NOP (32-35) 8, 15 games remaining, TB 1-1, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
LAL (33-34) 8, 16 games remaining, TB=Kings
--- Play-In Games ---
UTA (33-35) 8, 14 games remaining, TB 2-0, 2 to play (best conference win% gets TB if tied)
POR (31-36) 7, 15 games remaining, TB 1-1, 2 to play (best conference win% gets TB if tied)
OKC (32-35) 7, 15 games remaining, TB=Kings

Tomorrow's games (5):
Nets at DEN, 12:30 PM
POR at NOP, 4 PM
OKC at Spurs, 4 PM
Knicks at LAL, 6 PM

Kings Playoff Tracker

Note that teams are listed in order of the Kings' magic number, which is affected by tiebreakers, so the order may be slightly different than the order in the actual standings. Eliminated teams will be removed from the tracker after one day.

I have moved the Kings to #2, because we currently hold the tiebreaker against Memphis, but the tiebreaker is not final.

Please note that the best conference win% tiebreaker may be pre-empted by division standings, because division winners get the second tiebreaker over non-division winners.

Today's games (9):
Huge win tonight in Phoenix! The Suns are now 4 games back of us in the loss column!

LAC def. Knicks
UTA def. Hornets
MEM def. DAL
OKC def. NOP
GSW def. Bucks
SAC def. PHX

Magic Number To Eliminate (TB=TieBreaker):
DEN (46-21) 22, 15 games remaining, TB 1-1, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
SAC (40-26) --, 16 games remaining
MEM (40-26) 17, 16 games remaining, TB 2-2 (best conference win% gets TB, Kings currently lead)
PHX (37-30) 13, 15 games remaining, TB=Suns
GSW (35-33) 10, 14 games remaining, TB 1-2, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
DAL (34-34) 9, 14 games remaining, TB 1-1, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
--- Playoffs ---
MIN (34-34) 9, 14 games remaining, TB 1-2, 1 to play (best conference win% gets TB if tied)
LAC (36-33) 9, 13 games remaining, TB=Kings
NOP (32-35) 8, 15 games remaining, TB 1-1, 1 to play (winner gets TB)
LAL (33-34) 8, 16 games remaining, TB=Kings
--- Play-In Games ---
UTA (33-35) 8, 14 games remaining, TB 2-0, 2 to play (best conference win% gets TB if tied)
POR (31-36) 7, 15 games remaining, TB 1-1, 2 to play (best conference win% gets TB if tied)
OKC (32-35) 7, 15 games remaining, TB=Kings

Tomorrow's games (5):
Nets at DEN, 12:30 PM
POR at NOP, 4 PM
OKC at Spurs, 4 PM
Knicks at LAL, 6 PM
Kings just eclipsed the 2019 team with 16 games to go. 2004 team is in sight.

What do you mean by "Magic Number To Eliminate" I do not get those numbers. Are they numbers to eliminate the teams from catching us or surpassing us in the standings?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
What do you mean by "Magic Number To Eliminate" I do not get those numbers. Are they numbers to eliminate the teams from catching us or surpassing us in the standings?
It's a traditional "magic number": Any combination of Kings wins and opponent losses equalling or exceeding that number means the Kings will finish higher than that opponent in the final standings.

I thought the Kings might get 47 or 48 wins.....but they might break into the 50s the way they're streaking right now. A few more wins coming up get close to locking the 6th seed.
50 would certainly be nice, but don't get too ahead of yourself now...We have some TOUGH matchups coming up over our final 16 games...It's not going to be easy. As a result, I'll be content if we even finish no better than 8-8, as long as we don't fall flat.

We are a few fortuitous turns away from being withing striking distance of the number 1 seed. That is absolutely nuts.
I know, I keep thinking about the same thing.

Imagine for a moment if the KINGS continue on the run they’ve been on and DEN slips enough just enough to make that last regular season game a winner take all for the top seed? How fun would that be??

All the KINGS need to do is get within 1 game heading in to that matchup. So, in essence, they are only 4.5 games back of DEN rather than 5.5

You know its odd, I was looing at the 2004-2005 season, and I have no memory of their playoffs loss against the Supersonics. Lost 4-1 but couldn't recall a single game looking at boxscores.....contrast that to the Timberwolves and Spurs series before and after that, and I have clear memory of both series......Aging.
Same here. It's probably because the Kings got overwhelmed without putting up much resistance. When Jerome "Trash bag" James wins a revenge series against your team, you tend to repress those memories.

You know its odd, I was looing at the 2004-2005 season, and I have no memory of their playoffs loss against the Supersonics. Lost 4-1 but couldn't recall a single game looking at boxscores.....contrast that to the Timberwolves and Spurs series before and after that, and I have clear memory of both series......Aging.
I remember little about either the 05 Sonics and 06 Spurs series because I spent both waiting impatiently for them to be over.

Annual title contention spoiled me; even a first-round upset win was meaningless if it didn’t lead to the O’Brien Trophy. Those Kings teams needed offseason upgrades to truly contend, so I saw sneaking into the playoffs for a first or second round exit as a pointless distraction before the real work began.

I’ve had 16 years to dwell on that one.

Same, mainly because the Webber trade deflated any hopes and interest we may have had. The next season, Artest and Bonzi reignited a lot of that hope, until Bonzi's agent became less than smart.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Wasn't the one win the game where Mitch Richmond went off? Anyway, that's the game I think I remember....:D

You don't remember when Kenny Thomas was a pretty good player?

Don't know if y'all have watched the Nuggs this year but we're halfway through the third q against the Nets and all I can say is the Nuggs are beatable. They're very beatable.

Currently 86-80 nets ahead.

The Nuggs are not as "organized" of a team as the Kings have shown to be of late. They make a fair amount of bad mistakes. Their offense gets stuck late in possessions. They don't rotate with purpose and consistency on D. They rely primarily on Jokic dominance and if you can neutralize that to a degree - I have high confidence that we would have a good chance of beating them in a seven game series.

Last edited:
Don't know if y'all have watched the Nuggs this year but we're halfway through the third q against the Nets and all I can say is the Nuggs are beatable. They're very beatable.

The Nuggs are not as "organized" of a team as the Kings have shown to be of late. They make a fair amount of bad mistakes. Their offense gets stuck late in possessions. They don't rotate with purpose and consistently on D. They rely primarily on Jokic dominance and if you can neutralize that to a degree - I have high confidence that we would have a good chance of beating them in a seven game series.
Update: Nets up 14 with 9 mins to go.

Nuggs do not look inspired. Do not have the cohesion the Kings have. Brown is a better coach than Malone. VIVEK VINDIACATED!!!

The Nuggs are not as "organized" of a team as the Kings have shown to be of late. They make a fair amount of bad mistakes. Their offense gets stuck late in possessions. They don't rotate with purpose and consistently on D. They rely primarily on Jokic dominance and if you can neutralize that to a degree - I have high confidence that we would have a good chance of beating them in a seven game series.
The Nuggets are the team I've somewhat paid attention to come playoff time the last few years. Now that they are near full strength is the real test but every year they seem to find some team that's just going to obliterate them on pick and roll in a series. Jokic in previous years just sits under the rim on defense in the deepest drop ever seen. That Spurs game the other night showed that same weakness. Jokic can't afford to pick up fouls so he just doesn't even try at times.

The Nuggets are the team I've somewhat paid attention to come playoff time the last few years. Now that they are near full strength is the real test but every year they seem to find some team that's just going to obliterate them on pick and roll in a series. Jokic in previous years just sits under the rim on defense in the deepest drop ever seen. That Spurs game the other night showed that same weakness. Jokic can't afford to pick up fouls so he just doesn't even try at times.
However you wanna (cook, glaze, and) slice it - can you imagine making similar criticisms of the Kings? I can't. What does that mean? The Kings are a better coached team. Brown > Malone. VIVEK VINDICATED!!

Last edited: