2023 TRADE DEADLINE MEGATHREAD

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Maybe. But KD>>>>Westbrook
When he's healthy, sure. They'll look unbeatable for stretches but losing depth will hurt their ability to keep those old guys healthy and it's not like Ayton and Booker are regularly playing all the games either. I'd have a very different opinion of this deal if the Suns had gone all-in on the 2018 version of KD before he tore his Achilles. He's got a lot of NBA mileage on his legs and Phoenix's new owner is now on the hook for 50 million a year for the next 3 years with no Plan B.

Ayton
KD
?
Booker
CP3

that’s a GREAT big three but after that they have no money or depth

That team doesn't scare me. Most of the times when you get too many players on teams with big egos they just crash and burn or are 1 and out in the playoffs. Phoenix will finish around .500 where they belong.

What a bummer. Why these guys have to always be traded out West? To a team behind us, no less.

I hope the KINGS are able to land a player or two that can really help them stay in place (or better).

W/O control of all our 1st rounders we all knew there was no chance for the KINGS to get a player of KD’s caliber. Let’s just hope it doesn’t workout for them.

Great move for Phoenix. They are the top 3 with Denver and Memphis. Clippers, Wolves, and Pellies are going to be the top competition to avoid the play in. Warriors, Mavs, Lakers and blazers are the play in contenders. Not sure where we fall, but we got at least a few game advantage on all the teams but Memphis and Denver. Guessing we end up right on the play in border.

I still don’t understand the Dallas love. I think they really struggle. That roster is no better then .500 moving forward.

I agree winning this year, even a WCF appearance would be so far beyond expectations for a team coming off our drought. Seeing so many teams ship out their picks for the rest of the decade it seems it would be fool's gold to even try to compete in this arms race.
Yeah, we have some time. Sabonis 26, Fox 25, Keegan 22, Monk 24, Huerter 24, Mitchell 24. 6 of their 7 most important players. Kings certainly don't need to shove all-in and try to compete with the arms race. CP3 is ancient, KD is 34: Bron probably has 2 more years: No one has any idea where Kyrie will be next season, if he'll even be playing at all. The West landscape likely looks very different in a couple seasons.

Build this up properly. Get real experience in tough games, get in playoff series, maybe win one or two and start to peak once the rest of the West starts to age out

The bad losses and mediocre home record is going to sting even more now. The race for a top six seed just got a lot more unlikely, as power teams in the West did what they do and regained strength quickly. I hope it doesn't matter much, but something tells me it will.

Like many of us have been saying, it's likely at the end of 82, that we'll look back at games like home losses to Charlotte and Washington...or a road loss to a decimated New Orleans team on a huge losing streak....and that will make a big difference in the post season outlook.

Yeah, we have some time. Sabonis 26, Fox 25, Keegan 22, Monk 24, Huerter 24, Mitchell 24. 6 of their 7 most important players. Kings certainly don't need to shove all-in and try to compete with the arms race. CP3 is ancient, KD is 34: Bron probably has 2 more years: No one has any idea where Kyrie will be next season, if he'll even be playing at all. The West landscape likely looks very different in a couple seasons.

Build this up properly. Get real experience in tough games, get in playoff series, maybe win one or two and start to peak once the rest of the West starts to age out
Monte has to be on top of it though. Once Domas signs a max we all know how hard it is to start tinkering. Time and cap is his enemy if they don't have that 3rd star.

Yeah, but those picks will likely be late 1st's. Those deep, deep picks 5-6 years out I think are off the table for most teams now since those big star types are off the board.
yeh it just seems like OG wants out so they may have to move him at some point. He is said to want a bigger role though which im not sure he would have with the Grizz. I just don’t think a Barnes OG Siakam works and they need to move on

I’m curious how it turns out. They are stacked with talent and have a ton of tradeable assets. They also had no incentive to tank since Houston has all their picks.
Cam Thomas-Mikal-Claxton is a pretty nice start to a rebuild. I think I'd look to ship nearly everyone else out, build up a stockpile of picks to replace all the ones they're going to send to HOU and find a star that way.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Honest question: if Vegas and Seattle are admitted (as early as 2024???) that would move NOP and Memphis or OKC to the East, right?

A lot of teams pushing all their chips in, if we re-sign Domas, and make a few smart moves without trading away all our picks, we'd basically be feasting on a decimated West with whatever GS has left, San Antonio, Utah and whichever team doesn't move?

Is that unrealistic?
There would be 1 more team in each conference (32 teams total) so it would be just Memphis or New Orleans switching to the East I think. But yeah, the general sentiment seems right. Two bad expansion teams come in, one playoff team goes out, the Lakers lose Lebron, the Mavs and Suns gambled their futures on risky all-in bets, San Antonio has bottomed out and may need awhile to rebuild, GS will lose Steph and Draymond at some point and they seem to have whiffed on all of their top picks --- it could get real bad in the West over the next 5 years. There will be new lottery pick superstars to fill-in as well but it seems like a window of opportunity is opening for the top 3 or 4 teams in the West.