At least we always have the moral high ground! (2022-2023 L2M Report Thread)

I'd imagine it's mostly subconscious bias. We haven't been good for a long time and it's easier to make the call for the team who "should" win.

Bad teams are usually up against it when it comes to officiating and have to be disproportionately competitive to their win/loss column before the refs start calling it properly, because by that point, they're now one of the teams that "should" win.

I'd imagine it's mostly subconscious bias. We haven't been good for a long time and it's easier to make the call for the team who "should" win.

Bad teams are usually up against it when it comes to officiating and have to be disproportionately competitive to their win/loss column before the refs start calling it properly, because by that point, they're now one of the teams that "should" win.
Makes me wonder if the l2m report is this lopsided for the other bad teams.

This is what I think is happening too. It's the same way that players like Draymond or Boogie have a shorter leash before getting a tech and why guys known as being great defenders get fewer calls against them.

Just subconscious bias based on history.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
This is what I think is happening too. It's the same way that players like Draymond or Boogie have a shorter leash before getting a tech and why guys known as being great defenders get fewer calls against them.

Just subconscious bias based on history.
AKA The Rodney Dangerfield Effect

Which is exactly why sports aren't really sports anymore. Merely sports entertainment. Rules for thee but not for me.

The rulebooks do not state that there are certain rules for good teams and good players and certain rules for bad teams and bad players. The officials just enforce it that way so the NBA can create stars and dynasties artificially.

Vegas ought to start opening a line on over and under last 2 minute report for the Kings.
I would think it would cause some talk around the NBA.

Shaq and Barkley should bring it up at half time by everyone guessing if they should take the over under on missed calls against us.

Ha ha.

Since for every disadvantaged team there is a corresponding advantaged team, the league-wide probability of being disadvantaged in a given L2M incident is 50%. The probability of randomly drawing 14+ "disadvantages" in 17 draws from a 50/50 distribution is 1.3%. So it's either the one year in 78 that we could be expected to have such bad luck by chance, or the refs are screwing us.
I believe there was an analysis showing the Kings were the second most screwed team last year (after the Cavs?), so we might be achieving some "hit by lightning" levels of probability.

It would be interesting to see how a team was officiated, if they never interacted with the refs. How would that affect or not affect their subconscious?

The NBA could promote a lot less discussion and arguing, if they wanted to. I think it would help a lot towards a more neutral and fairly officiated game

I think this is correct but it doesn't explain vs. the Pistons, nor does it explain when it's against "not good" teams on our home court where you would think they would just err on the side of "get out of the building alive".

And I think that latter part may be at play where you get obviously petty/vindictive officials who say "you won't show me up" to the coach and players or the crowd. (see changing an incorrect out of bounds call to a foul when Sabonis protests, requiring Brown to blow his challenge to resolve).

The second possible phenomenon is because we have so few games on national tv, and because we don't attract a lot of media attention at all, they can put their lowest rated officials in our games and the good ones on tv games.

Does not explain 2002, but I think playing massive media market and marquee team LA explains that succinctly and without conspiracy needed.

Lots of missed calls in the L2M report in the Grizz game, with a couple of huge ones that screwed over the Grizz (including the HB play at half court).

Entity

Hall of Famer
I’d like to see a L48M report on these last 2 games lol. Crazy. The trip foul on fox was crazy. And we got 2 techs and guys lost money because of it

Surely this idiot ref who I understand to be in his rookie season will not get a playoff game this year or anytime soon. Would be great to assign him to a CYO U8 league.
Rookie ref? No wonder he did the Kings like that lol. Just kidding. You would think a rookie ref would have no team bias. Dude in somebody's pocket. League needs to clean that up ASAP.

Wasn't the official causing most of the problems all night including the ejection the rookie? I thought he was closest to the play but I stopped watching replays.
Yes but on the inbounds play, Zarba inbounded it and I would think would be responsible for that. The rookie dude was on the baseline....probably could have called it too.

Yes but on the inbounds play, Zarba inbounded it and I would think would be responsible for that. The rookie dude was on the baseline....probably could have called it too.
Zarba would've had clear line of vision on this play. If you have a look at that last play, he was clearly looking at Fox when he got pushed and he turned his head right after like nothing happened. Sorry to flog a dead horse, but I am 100% convinced he had money on this game.