2022 Free Agent Targets

Kleber was and is extremely important in the playoffs. He allows Mavs to play 5 out and I really dont see them swapping him for Holmes who is much less valuable player. Would love it though and I would've given good money for him when he was a free agent few years ago
I think the idea there is they don't have to head into 2023 UFA with Kleber/Wood/Powell all UFA and they get security with Holmes locked into to 1 more seasons with a player option. And he'd easily be the best lob threat for Luka on that team. I agree Kleber is more valuable because of the shooting and versatility, but thinking from a team context pov from them and how they balance their book.

Great find. Going to be 24 next season, fell out of the rotation last year with Minny after being 20+ MPG the first 3 years and a starter. Nigerian national team connection with Brown too, so he'll be very familiar how to use him. 6'4 with a 7'0 wingspan is excellent and defensive impact stats for the most part think he's pretty good

He's like very very bad on offense though. There's like nothing to point to that's even positive offensively for him. Not a playmaker/creator, not a shooter, not a scorer, inefficient.

I'll take Payton or Porter first, but he wouldn't be a bad buy-low fall back option. No doubt he'd improve the defense.
My issue with Payton is his ability to defend bigger threes. Okogie can. Hence why I would lean Okogie. There’s more there on the offensive side of the ball.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
My issue with Payton is his ability to defend bigger threes. Okogie can. Hence why I would lean Okogie. There’s more there on the offensive side of the ball.
The other issue to discuss with him is his age. Dude turns 30 in December and uses his athleticism to cover bigger players/hound guys his own size. If that goes even a little, his contract might end up being dead weight. He’s somehow a half year older than Otto Porter.

I mean I felt he was doing just fine on the possessions vs Tatum/Brown especially in the finals. It's not a match up I'd want 30+ MPG, but he's pretty 1-3 switchable and can handle basically everyone who actually plays on the perimeter. Most of the star 3's from 5-8 years ago still around have all moved to the "big wing" and play a ton at the 4; Bron/KD/Kawhi/Jimmy/Ingram. I think it's just bad process overall to say "Well he can't guard the top 4 wing scorers, so there's no point."

I think the fit is just fine and more than anything I want good defenders on the team. We're pretty much hoping Brown is defensive Jesus at this point until we get him more defensive talent alongside Mitchell/DDV/Murray. Hell, bring in Okogie too; not like we don't need the defensive wing help.

Wing? Check.
Okay shooter on the perimeter? Check.
History on a strong 3-and-D team? Check.
Irrationally high praise from our new head coach? Check.
Currently a free agent? Also check.

might see him get picked up before summer league starts.
Great find. Him and/or Okogie with the Nigerian team connection at a real position of need for us seems like a couple guys we'll really be keyed in on. Along with the 3 Warriors UFA, plenty of options with recent Brown connections that can help.

Oh? I know he was a favorite of @twslam07 . He's not a wing, he's more of a 4/5 combo, but I think you absolutely could play him with Sabonis. Haven't seen his game very much, but the impact stats look ok and he was up to 44% from 2 on 2.2 attempts/game this season
@captainfactorial will attest to, I've been a fan of Roby's for a very long time. Going back at least two years.

All for Kezie Okpala, Isaiah Hartenstein(another lefty!) and reuniting Malik Monk and De'Aaron Fox (who had undeniable chemistry at UK)

Also Mitchell Robinson, now there might be a bit of a bidding war for his services, but I'm not gonna make a post in this thread without vouching for him...

Timothe Luwawu-Cabbarot is a player I'd be excited to see in a Kings uni aswell. built to run with Fox and he shot decently well from 3 for Atlanta and plays solid defense. He can't possibly be all that expensive either.

Nic Claxton is interesting too.. He might be one of the more gettable RFA's.. Could help the defense for sure he moves extremely well on defense for a player that size.

Another RFA that I think would outperform is Trevelin Queen who played for the rockets and was the G-League MVP, G-League Finals MVP and G-League 1st team all defense and he's a 6'6" 3-nD player whos had a Crazy path to the league, it's hard to bet against a player like him..

And I mean if Bamba is available he'd be a homerun pickup IMO.. He shot almost 40% from 3 this past season on lots of attempts... Career highs in all categories... I dont particularly buy that he's leaving Orlando though.. He would certainly cost a nice chunk of $$$..

and Also IDK if he's been mentioned but if the price is right on Gary Harris.... I think thats worth exploring.. To me Dennis Schroder is also in the "if the price is right" category, I cant help but notice the Kings only have 2 PG's signed and if were talking similar money to guys like Payton II then I prefer Dennis hands-down..

Last edited:
2 minimum type 3rd string players who i dont think have been mentioned yet in this thread, who've been signing 10 day type contracts for a few seasons now but have been making real strides

7'2" C 22 year old Moses Brown, who actually has the most rebounds in a single game for the Thunder franchise at 23, hes got some decent touch and moves well for a player that size. He had a very solid stretch at the end of last season for the Cavs.

and 6'8" PF 23 year old Jaylen Hoard, who had a 24pt 21 reb 3ast 3stl game for the Thunder late in the season, then scored 23 the next game and the game after that he had this 27 point 17 rebound 4 assists 1stl 1 blk outburst vs the Lakers.

Hoard is a player whos sneaky athletic and has added lots of strength over the years, just needs to continue sharpening his skills

Last edited:
New here but looking for a place to express Kings thoughts.

Free agent SG/SF I got my eye on are :

Malik Monk - Chemistry with Fox, and scoring off the bench

Bruce Brown - Showed well last when asked to do more last year with the Nets, mostly a defensive guy now but offensive game is growing

Victor Oladipo - Still getting back to form from injury but worth the risk at low cost
Raul Neto - Bigger PG who just has a well rounded game and pesky defense who won’t cost much

Otto Porter Jr - Obvious familiarity with Brown, good size, defense and can space the floor decently well

TJ Warren - Obviously injuries are key but if he’s healthy would bring defense and some floor spacing to the 3

Josh Okogie - Good defense and all around game, young so time still to develop offensive side

Cody and Caleb Martin - Just group the twins here together as either or would help this team

Pat Connaughton - 3 point shooting, size and above average defender

Gary Harris - Had a good year last year and has lost some recognition being on a poor, rebuilding Magic team

Keep an eye out for 23/24 year old Serbian Borisa Simanic he's a 6'11 stretch 4 with above average athletic ability (maybe best 6'11 athlete I have seen from Serbia), he's joined the Jazz summer league squad and might be able to show a thing or two. I have mentioned him on some write up's before in saying I was shocked a guy so athletically talented with a shooting stroke was NOT a NBA player and it must be a mental thing. He is still very thin which could keep him out. He shot 45% from 3 and was the best player for Mega imo (same team as Jovic).

Now that the dust has settled on draft night, the Oladipo smoke awhile back makes even more sense. He already knows Domas, he's damaged goods but the upside is there, and the Kings could offer a starting spot, money, and they probably need to take a chance on anything that can upgrade them on paper.

New here but looking for a place to express Kings thoughts.

Free agent SG/SF I got my eye on are :

Malik Monk - Chemistry with Fox, and scoring off the bench

Bruce Brown - Showed well last when asked to do more last year with the Nets, mostly a defensive guy now but offensive game is growing

Victor Oladipo - Still getting back to form from injury but worth the risk at low cost
Raul Neto - Bigger PG who just has a well rounded game and pesky defense who won’t cost much

Otto Porter Jr - Obvious familiarity with Brown, good size, defense and can space the floor decently well

TJ Warren - Obviously injuries are key but if he’s healthy would bring defense and some floor spacing to the 3

Josh Okogie - Good defense and all around game, young so time still to develop offensive side

Cody and Caleb Martin - Just group the twins here together as either or would help this team

Pat Connaughton - 3 point shooting, size and above average defender

Gary Harris - Had a good year last year and has lost some recognition being on a poor, rebuilding Magic team
I think I read Connaughton picked up his option. He must be being nice to the Bucks because he could have pulled more than that in FA.

Brown and Oladipo seem like the best fits positionally and defensively.

I think I read Connaughton picked up his option. He must be being nice to the Bucks because he could have pulled more than that in FA.

Brown and Oladipo seem like the best fits positionally and defensively.
Hadn’t heard that about Connaughton, he was lower on my list anyways. I’d love to see us commit to Bruce Brown for a few years, gives him a little money and a chance to really show his game. Young enough to develop and grow with our core if we stumble onto something with him. His shot improved from earlier in his career so he could become a very nice 3 and D piece.

Next group of guys I’m looking at after Brown is Monk, Oladipo, Warren. Get a proven scorer in here on the cheap (maybe Monk takes a little less to play with Fox) to help take some of the offensive pressure away from Fox, Murray, Sabo or at the very least be able to knock down shots when asked of.

Keep an eye out for 23/24 year old Serbian Borisa Simanic he's a 6'11 stretch 4 with above average athletic ability (maybe best 6'11 athlete I have seen from Serbia), he's joined the Jazz summer league squad and might be able to show a thing or two. I have mentioned him on some write up's before in saying I was shocked a guy so athletically talented with a shooting stroke was NOT a NBA player and it must be a mental thing. He is still very thin which could keep him out. He shot 45% from 3 and was the best player for Mega imo (same team as Jovic).

Interested to see what kind of progress he's made! I remember him back at the 2017 Nike Hoops summit and he wasnt ready back then for sure, too weak, I remember Team USA ripped the ball right out of his hands several times in just limited minutes.

So it kinda sucks to hear he's still very thin, but that hoops summit game he was up against guys like Michael Porter Jr and now 1st team all nba defense Jaren Jackson. the summer league should be a better spot for him to showcase what he can do

Now that the dust has settled on draft night, the Oladipo smoke awhile back makes even more sense. He already knows Domas, he's damaged goods but the upside is there, and the Kings could offer a starting spot, money, and they probably need to take a chance on anything that can upgrade them on paper.
All for it, if the price is right. Oladipo is also a tremendous 'lockerroom guy' extremely hard working no nonsense type.

I know it had to have been driving him crazy to not be a bigger part of that heat playoff run and watching Max Strus start infront of him, maybe that might motivate him to find a team like the Kings where he can show how much hes still got in the tank.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Can we run DDV/Oladipo/Murray ?

I think I am a fan of taking that chance but given he's likely looking for a 1 year prove it deal I don't want to lose DDV for a guy that won't stick around. If we could get OPJ on MLE type deal and Oladipo with the biannual we'd really shore up 2-4 and possibly be able to trade Barnes at the deadline for a long term keeper or draft pick.

I think I am a fan of taking that chance but given he's likely looking for a 1 year prove it deal I don't want to lose DDV for a guy that won't stick around. If we could get OPJ on MLE type deal and Oladipo with the biannual we'd really shore up 2-4 and possibly be able to trade Barnes at the deadline for a long term keeper or draft pick.
I don’t think I’d want DDV and Dipo on the floor together, one or the other for me. Bring in Otto like you said and Otto and Barnes can share the 3 workload. Barnes and Murray share the 4 minutes with occasional Lyles minutes there is my preference.

I think I’d rather have Monk over DDV as well just from a scoring standpoint. Take some of the pressure off of Fox and Mitchell on having our backcourt keep teams honest. DDV sharing his frustration too kind of turns me off, Dipo knows Sabo well, Monk knows Fox well and OPJ may want to follow Brown and the money here. Let’s get guys who want to be here.

It might be OK. Oladipo has had moments where he's covered 3's in the past. I personally think Oladipo will get more of a look from teams than a biannual deal, but that would be nice if possible. Maybe Fox and Domas breakfast, lunch, and dinner experience could get the job done.

The Thunder want to trade Jaymachl Green he's a massive upgrade over Lyles at the back up 4 he's tough as hell to easily fit's in with Davion in the bulldog type mode.

The Thunder want to trade Jaymachl Green he's a massive upgrade over Lyles at the back up 4 he's tough as hell to easily fit's in with Davion in the bulldog type mode.
I remember a lot of Nuggets fans complaining about this dude, I think he eventually was benched and saw minimal minutes for them.

I want Lyles back, he looked good spacing the floor a bit with Sabo at the 5. With Murray and Barnes on the team he’s not likely to much run anyways and with his cheap contract option it doesn’t make sense to move off of him.
Yeah Lyles played his way into a 9th-10th man role at the end of last season. Gives you some flexibility with a small-ball 5 C too and he's about as cheap as you can get for a playable NBA player at 2.5 mil.

Yhall know if Zach Lavine's parents live in the Sac area? Zach signed an offer a few years ago and he has some pics with his parents at G1C. Dude is originally from the Seattle area, so a flight down isn't really all that hard, if they're still there. But just wondering if they moved down. I know Andre Miller had family in Sac, so there were always those Miller to Sac rumors back in the day when he was around his prime.

I ask, because Lavine is an UFA. 99% odds he signs with Chicago. But the penny pinching from McNair only makes sense if they swing for the fences. Lavine would be a swing for the fence.

Yhall know if Zach Lavine's parents live in the Sac area? Zach signed an offer a few years ago and he has some pics with his parents at G1C. Dude is originally from the Seattle area, so a flight down isn't really all that hard, if they're still there. But just wondering if they moved down. I know Andre Miller had family in Sac, so there were always those Miller to Sac rumors back in the day when he was around his prime.

I ask, because Lavine is an UFA. 99% odds he signs with Chicago. But the penny pinching from McNair only makes sense if they swing for the fences. Lavine would be a swing for the fence.
I’m not sure about his parents but I do remember in 2018 the Kings offered him a contract in which the Bulls had to match, and did, I’m almost 99% sure. Lavine would be the ultimate add to this team as our primary scorer with complimentary pieces around him. I haven’t even brought him up or thought to hard on it because I’m not putting myself through that pain. There was a quote that came out that said he was looking for a place where he’d be the unquestioned number 1 option, which he now shares with Derozan in Chicago. Financially speaking there would have to be a trade or trades prior to the signing for the Kings though. Moving Holmes and Barnes, or Barnes and some of our lower expiring contracts could get it done but this all feels like way to much wishful thinking for our Kings. If we signed Lavine as well we’d be left with the Trade exceptions (4 mil and 1 mil) we have, MLE (10 mil) and BAE (4 mil) to fill out the depth of this team.

word is that LaVine back to the bulls is a done deal and they are just gonna sorta string out the mystery of it as i guess u could say a marketing ploy from his agent to gain him some more attention from other fanbases.