The Official SPOILERS 2022 NBA Draft Thread

KF.com Existential Dread-ometer

• 51-70 (The house is on fire)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I sure wish there was a way to get OG from the Raptors. A Fox, DD, OG, Murray, Sabonis lineup would be stingy and the ball should move on offense.

And I think signing DD provides a lot of flexibility for how we use Davion.

Side note - Boucher on Toronto is a dude we should be chasing as well.

On a side note, isn't it kinda funny that so many of us use asterisks in a case like this?

Honestly, what's the point of writing "A**" when EVERYONE knows the reference word here is "APP"?!
You do realize that it could also very well be that the engine(s) behind this forum automatically pick(s) up on words such as the one being referenced in this post (for obvious reason), and automatically "flags" those words by way of replacing certain letters with asterisks, right???

On a side note, isn't it kinda funny that so many of us use asterisks in a case like this?

Honestly, what's the point of writing "A**" when EVERYONE knows the reference word here is "APP"?!
You do realize that it could also very well be that the engine(s) behind this forum automatically pick(s) up on words such as the one being referenced in this post (for obvious reason), and automatically "flags" those words by way of replacing certain letters with asterisks, right???
Actually, the asterisks were my insertion. The forum software automatically corrects words it considers profane to family friendly versions, and the asterisks are just a cheat that gets around the software-guided censorship with my own self-censorship. I wouldn't use them if the forum software wasn't so draconian about profanity. Of course, I'm sure the mods don't really like this kind of circumvention, so I try to wield it judiciously.

Actually, the asterisks were my insertion. The forum software automatically corrects words it considers profane to family friendly versions, and the asterisks are just a cheat that gets around the software-guided censorship with my own self-censorship. I wouldn't use them if the forum software wasn't so draconian about profanity. Of course, I'm sure the mods don't really like this kind of circumvention, so I try to wield it judiciously.
Ah. Thanks for the clarification :)

I sure wish there was a way to get OG from the Raptors. A Fox, DD, OG, Murray, Sabonis lineup would be stingy and the ball should move on offense.

And I think signing DD provides a lot of flexibility for how we use Davion.

Side note - Boucher on Toronto is a dude we should be chasing as well.
I'd go huge the way they could have with Grant. Just play Barnes/OG/Murray together and switch everything. Obviously Barnes would have to be involved somehow though unless they wanted someone like Holmes/picks. Anyway that's enough length to potentially play off a bit and recover to shooters.

Yeah, I was kidding.

In other news, I *really* appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts and insights on the draft prospects. As someone whoo doesn't watch much college hoops anymore, very helpful!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I guess now would be a good time to mention that Mike Brown gets credited for helping turn Bruce Bowen into the best 3-and-D player of his time despite being allergic to dribbling.
I feel somewhat compelled to say that Bruce flashed the alpha defender thing in Boston so I don't know how much Brown really did.

Yeah, I was kidding.

In other news, I *really* appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts and insights on the draft prospects. As someone whoo doesn't watch much college hoops anymore, very helpful!
I'm certainly happy to have time to contribute during draft season, but I'm only ever able to watch a dozen or so college games every year. There are many here at KF.com who are so much more well-versed on draft prospects than I am.

That said, I do try and watch tape in advance of the draft, usually whole halves of individual games rather than carefully-curated highlight packages. I like to get a sense of at least the lottery prospects, less to understand who the Kings "should" or "shouldn't" pick and more to get some kind of understanding about the future of the league, since some number of those lottery selections are going to be pretty great someday.

Murray just happens to be the guy that stood out to me the most outside of Chet and JSJ (I'm not yet much of a believer in either Banchero or Ivey).

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I mean, in Monte's defense, if QWERTYLICIOUS himself were the General Manager of THE Sacramento Kings, he, too, would REALLY be annoyed at Matt George's question about a playoff mandate.

Knowing Q, he'd probably go Jim Mora on the guy.

:p:p:p
If I were GM of the team and Matt George asked a question I would include as many double down references as possible.

Me: "There's no playoff mandate, do you think we have a playoff mandate?"

MG: "I think you have a playoff mandate!"

Me: "Do you want to double down on that?"

I think any presser would involve a similar imaginary conversation.

i am a little concerned about SG. Do we think DD signs with us if so does everybody feel he is starting caliber?
They aren’t. People keep bringing up what DD did a couple seasons ago, but we’re in the present. What does he bring to the team now? The conversation would be different if he were a rookie, but he’s entering his 5th league in the NBA.

Adding onto this, you could put any decent shooter in the starting lineup for the Bucks and they’d probably still win the championship.

I really don’t know where to love for DDV comes from. He’s a straight chucker and shot an overall shot 36% from the field.

He’s not a starting SG in the league. If he were, Milwaukee wouldn’t have given him away for free.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
They aren’t. People keep bringing up what DD did a couple seasons ago, but we’re in the present. What does he bring to the team now? The conversation would be different if he were a rookie, but he’s entering his 5th league in the NBA.

Adding onto this, you could put any decent shooter in the starting lineup for the Bucks and they’d probably still win the championship.

I really don’t know where to love for DDV comes from. He’s a straight chucker and shot an overall shot 36% from the field.

He’s not a starting SG in the league. If he were, Milwaukee wouldn’t have given him away for free.
1) it's his defense
2) he was coming off an injury and seemed to be coming back to form at the end of the season

He has decent shooting percentages from beyond the arc, despite air balling about half of his attempts. He's the best perimeter defender on the team, above average rebounder and he's also an above average passer.

To me, the only real infuriating thing about him is he can't hit layups to save his life. He rushes them like Buddy did and just tries to get the ball up instead of taking a split second to get his hand under control before releasing the ball.

He's got value, but he's certainly not the type you give up Harrison Barnes and potential space for.

He has decent shooting percentages from beyond the arc, despite air balling about half of his attempts. He's the best perimeter defender on the team, above average rebounder and he's also an above average passer.

To me, the only real infuriating thing about him is he can't hit layups to save his life. He rushes them like Buddy did and just tries to get the ball up instead of taking a split second to get his hand under control before releasing the ball.
1) it's his defense
2) he was coming off an injury and seemed to be coming back to form at the end of the season
His defense is certainly pesky as he puts a lot of emphasis on that end. However, I just feel like we never know which Donte we’ll get each game. Is it the guy who puts up 3 bricks in a roll and gets a frustration foul on the other end? Or is it the guy who gives us good defense and makes his open 3s?

Watching him at the end of the year, I got the same feeling when we had Casspi. You know he’s going to have a boneheaded play/TO each game, you just don’t know when it’ll happen.

I’d rather have Davis start over DDV.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I feel somewhat compelled to say that Bruce flashed the alpha defender thing in Boston so I don't know how much Brown really did.
I think it’s more that Spurs thing they do where they pare a player down to have him do only the things he’s good at and work from there. In Bowen’s case, that was having him focus exclusively on defense and hitting corner threes. Most other franchises would probably have him focus on his iso game for some reason.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I think it’s more that Spurs thing they do where they pare a player down to have him do only the things he’s good at and work from there. In Bowel’s case, that was having him focus exclusively on defense and hitting corner threes. Most other franchises would probably have him focus on his iso game for some reason.
Aside from drafting Pierce (which was a no-sh level move that makes Haliburton look like "discovering" IT at 60), Bruce was about the only good thing I recall from Chris Wallace's tenure in Boston.

His defense is certainly pesky as he puts a lot of emphasis on that end. However, I just feel like we never know which Donte we’ll get each game. Is it the guy who puts up 3 bricks in a roll and gets a frustration foul on the other end? Or is it the guy who gives us good defense and makes his open 3s?

Watching him at the end of the year, I got the same feeling when we had Casspi. You know he’s going to have a boneheaded play/TO each game, you just don’t know when it’ll happen.

I’d rather have Davis start over DDV.
I don't really care which one starts but it's nice having both of them. Davis can get you buckets and DDV can defend. Both guys can do what each other does at varying levels. Neither one is a total slouch at much of anything. Good balance between the two.

I'd hate to lose DDV and be stuck with either a low level FA signing at the 2 or a Barnes trade for one....which would then just open up another hole in the lineup.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Like I would have been fine picking Benn at 6 but the only way the Kings could have traded down and gotten Keegan was probably to go to the 5th spot and even that’s totally a toss up since the Pistons reportedly really liked Keegan too.