KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone think the spurs would consider dealing Keldon Johnson and 8th for 4th and holmes? The move up and have a shot at Ivey or Banchero and we get a solid 3 allowing barnes to play 4,and we draft Mathurin at 8?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone think the spurs would consider dealing Keldon Johnson and 8th for 4th and holmes? The move up and have a shot at Ivey or Banchero and we get a solid 3 allowing barnes to play 4,and we draft Mathurin at 8?
Johnson had a strong season for them last year, so I don't know that they would, but definitely worth considering.

I just get the feeling Ivey is higher on OKC's draft board than Smith Jr.

The fact that Presti dangled SGA as trade bait last year makes me think he's not committed to building around him. If so, Ivey and Giddey are an interesting match and you have a war chest of future picks and whatever you can get for SGA to build around them.
One thing is for certain, trying to predict what OKC do is unpredictable in itself.

I can definitely see them liking Ivey but could also see them liking Banchero as well.

I doubt they even get a chance to consider Smith.

Banchero for us would be interesting. Not a great fit next to Sabonis and in some ways they duplicate each other. You still take him and work it out later. Still can’t see him slipping past Houston as he just makes so much sense for them

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing is for certain, trying to predict what OKC do is unpredictable in itself.

I can definitely see them liking Ivey but could also see them liking Banchero as well.

I doubt they even get a chance to consider Smith.

Banchero for us would be interesting. Not a great fit next to Sabonis and in some ways they duplicate each other. You still take him and work it out later. Still can’t see him slipping past Houston as he just makes so much sense for them
If I were Houston's GM Banchero would be #1 on my big board. The fact that they may well get him at three works out well for them. Smith Jr makes a nice fit with Sengun and Green, but Banchero would give them two offensive focal points and the extra playmaking they need.

Hahaha!

Probably the last place he would want to go to.

Arguably, he would be the best fir for us both now and in the long term. Brings some much needed elite shot blocking. Can guard on the perimeter. Has a nice offensive versatility that can stretch the floor. Has some good passing ability. That body is a worry as it will take a long time to build it up and he has a skinny frame that will never make him a physical beast. Extremely thin but you can still be strong and skinny.

I would love to get Chet but get the feeling his heart would sink if he ended up in Sacramento

Hahaha!

Probably the last place he would want to go to.

Arguably, he would be the best fir for us both now and in the long term. Brings some much needed elite shot blocking. Can guard on the perimeter. Has a nice offensive versatility that can stretch the floor. Has some good passing ability. That body is a worry as it will take a long time to build it up and he has a skinny frame that will never make him a physical beast. Extremely thin but you can still be strong and skinny.

I would love to get Chet but get the feeling his heart would sink if he ended up in Sacramento
How dare you be realistic here! Banned!

I'm going to be so damn annoyed when Murray is the next great 6'8 forward competing deep in the playoffs while we're convincing ourselves that Ivey will finally defend in year 4.

I don't hate Ivey at all as a prospect. He's a clear top 5-6. But positional value on Murray can't be understated in a weaker overall talent class and I just think the whole "He's low-ceiling" is pure nonsense. I feel like everyone is falling into the trap of just because he DOES fit our team like a glove, that it automatically discards him from being BPA.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I'm going to be so damn annoyed when Murray is the next great 6'8 forward competing deep in the playoffs while we're convincing ourselves that Ivey will finally defend in year 4.

I don't hate Ivey at all as a prospect. He's a clear top 5-6. But positional value on Murray can't be understated in a weaker overall talent class and I just think the whole "He's low-ceiling" is pure nonsense. I feel like everyone is falling into the trap of just because he DOES fit our team like a glove, that it automatically discards him from being BPA.
Draft Ivey, trade him down for Murray plus goodies!!

I'm actually pretty cool with a lot of scenarios this year. Peace of mind that comes with not having Vlade on the clock this June.

Yeah I feel we have had the Ivey experience in Fox. Sure they're not exactly the same, Ivey can play off ball a little, maybe his shot will be a little better, he's hasn't been paid yet etc. But different direction for me please.

I am hardly an NBA draft aficionado. I certainly don't have @bajaden's level of expertise and devotion to evaluating NCAA prospects, and I've been wrong about all kinds of prospects over the years. But I have yet to be dissuaded from believing that Keegan Murray is eventually going to be the lottery pick where everybody goes, "Oh, of course he's a top-3 player from the 2022 draft." He's exactly the kind of prospect you can overthink yourself out of taking despite the fact that he not only fits the Kings like a glove, but is exactly the kind of archetypal talent that every NBA team is supposed to value in the modern NBA.

Yeah I feel we have had the Ivey experience in Fox. Sure they're not exactly the same, Ivey can play off ball a little, maybe his shot will be a little better, he's hasn't been paid yet etc. But different direction for me please.
What experience? That's he's been consistently the only legit star talent on the team? haha.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I am sad Murray seems to be fading from the rear view mirror the further away we are from the lotto drawing. I do have faith in Monte to get the best talent out of our position, I just worry that with impatient ownership (and fans, and let's not talk about how lame other Kings social content is, but I guess many of them don't like us for some reason, we're the sane ones lol)... I digress... I worry that we draft a bad fit and then we get put on the clock to make a big trade happen again.

At the end of the day Brown is here with a mandate to win and Monte has an uncertain contract status so it's going to be interesting but I think there is a lot riding on getting the pick right.

Draft Ivey, trade him down for Murray plus goodies!!

I'm actually pretty cool with a lot of scenarios this year. Peace of mind that comes with not having Vlade on the clock this June.
Yea, trade down to 5 or 6 and get an additional asset would be perfect. But if that doesn't happen, my guess is we end up taking "BPA" and going Ivey.

Depends on which side of the tweener debate he falls on. If he's a PF and can't consistently switch then playing off your man as a help defender isn't nearly as effective in the NBA as it is in college.

Yea, trade down to 5 or 6 and get an additional asset would be perfect. But if that doesn't happen, my guess is we end up taking "BPA" and going Ivey.
This is the problem though, what is that asset? Neither Detroit nor Indy would trade future picks as they either start or continue their rebuild. The pistons with something around Grant would be interesting but Barnes/Grant/Murray is kind of duplicative so I would think that would likely involve someone like Griffin/Sharpe, not Murray.

Depends on which side of the tweener debate he falls on. If he's a PF and can't consistently switch then playing off your man as a help defender isn't nearly as effective in the NBA as it is in college.
What did you see that says he won't be able to switch on defense? I thought that was one of his better qualities as a defender (along with the weak-side rim protector).

I don't see a lock-down perimeter defender in the cards for him and he'd probably fail as a defender if the expectation was to put him on 3's full-time, but I absolutely think he's a super versatile defender at the 4 with a lot different options (Small-ball 5, switch the PnR and not get played off the floor, etc, weakside rim-protection).

gunks

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't haaaaate an Ivey pick either, but then we'd have to worry about having a Portland backcourt situation where that team always had a cap on how far they could go with the complete lack of defense provided by Dame and CJ...

.... of course if a Fox/Ivey core sniffs at that kind of impact on the offensive end, it's not the worst problem a team with a 16 year playoff drought could have.

And if we do draft Ivey, maybe Brown can get both he and Fox to be serviceable on defense.

Like I said, I can talk myself into just about any pick this draft haha

What did you see that says he won't be able to switch on defense? I thought that was one of his better qualities as a defender (along with the weak-side rim protector).

I don't see a lock-down perimeter defender in the cards for him and he'd probably fail as a defender if the expectation was to put him on 3's full-time, but I absolutely think he's a super versatile defender at the 4 with a lot different options (Small-ball 5, switch the PnR and not get played off the floor, etc, weakside rim-protection).
I don't see elite foot speed. He tends to let people get around then he looks to recover which his length certainly helps him but in the NBA there's going to be less help at the rim, especially with Sabonis next to him. I'm hoping Brown gets away from this drop coverage stuff. If not, he better go all in offensively which I think Murray would be a much better asset for him in that case.

I think this is a pretty fair assessment, he's not terrible but since this is a question about defense then the realization that the modern NBA game is so far beyond different than college has to come into play as well. The NBA PF's at the end are switching role player 3/D types right now. PJ Tucker types, Finney-Smith types, Grant Williams. Not production guys. If they went with a Murray/Sabonis frontcourt I would like to see a greater focus on pounding the heck out of teams offensively. He's not exactly Julius Randle in physicality but maybe you could do some of the same things one on one:

This is the problem though, what is that asset? Neither Detroit nor Indy would trade future picks as they either start or continue their rebuild. The pistons with something around Grant would be interesting but Barnes/Grant/Murray is kind of duplicative so I would think that would likely involve someone like Griffin/Sharpe, not Murray.
Can never have enough 3/4 flex wings! And in that scenario, Grant/Barnes would both be heading to UFA, so a good chance you wouldn't retain both. And if we liked Grant, we'd have a leg up on keeping him with acquiring his bird rights rather than just trying to sign in UFA.

Also, the tag just depends how much they value Ivey. Something like a top 10 protected FRP to move up a few spots seems like fair value. The ATL-Dallas swap sent a precedent with the 3-5 for 5 swap and the Mavs sent a top 5 protected FRP the following 2 season, top 3 in the 2 seasons after and unprotected after that (Conveyed in 2019 with Hunter at 10).

Can never have enough 3/4 flex wings! And in that scenario, Grant/Barnes would both be heading to UFA, so a good chance you wouldn't retain both. And if we liked Grant, we'd have a leg up on keeping him with acquiring his bird rights rather than just trying to sign in UFA.

Also, the tag just depends how much they value Ivey. Something like a top 10 protected FRP to move up a few spots seems like fair value. The ATL-Dallas swap sent a precedent with the 3-5 for 5 swap and the Mavs sent a top 5 protected FRP the following 2 season, top 3 in the 2 seasons after and unprotected after that (Conveyed in 2019 with Hunter at 10).
IMO, they are 4/3's, not 3/4's though. That's not the biggest issue but a difference. Maybe you could gimmick it up though and run Barnes/Grant/Murray next to Fox/Sabonis which I would actually like to see TBH. Just flat out length/size the crap out of teams. haha. Top 10 protection with teams like that though means you might as well consider it a wish and a dream, because you probably ain't getting it, lol. Maybe Detroit could convey sooner but Indy is probably going to start an actual rebuild here pretty soon.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
As silly as it is I like immediately flipping Grant (if Portland is interested for 7) if there was a 4 for 5 with Grant out there.

The downside to all that is I believe we'd have to take back salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.