Kings first round of coaching candidate interviews comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe that they're down to 3 finalists this early in the process. Sounds to me like it's driven by agents, self-promoters, and journalists in need of a headline for whom accuracy doesn't come first when it's the Kings.

Of course the most WTF candidate makes it on the list of finalists, because why wouldn’t he?! I wasn’t sure why I expected the Kings to have a normal coaching search for once. That would be asking way too much, wouldn't it?

Brown and Clifford are “meh” for me, but please don’t hire Mark Jackson…

Lol following this thread is like going through the 5 stages of grief.

Denial: Mark Jackson is a finalist? That can’t be the final list. Woj and Sham are probably being fed this info.

Anger: Jackson, Brown and Clifford?!? What about then young assistants? Wtf are the kings doing. Time to cancel my season tickets and burn all kings related merchandise.

Bargaining: Well maybe Brown isn’t too bad. I mean he’s better than Jackson right? He has some connections and is good defensively. Yes his good years were because of lebron and Kobe, but his crap years he had crap players. Maybe he will be ok with our team.

(I feel we are about here right now lol)

Depression:

Acceptance:
Spot on. We went through this with Walton and Bagley too.

is there anything specific you don’t like about Brown? I think he has a lot of similarities with Monte Williams. Comes from the Pop tree, hired as a head coach in his 30s, had early success and has a wealth of experience.
Yeah, the more I'm reading on Brown, the more I'm really liking. Seems like he's been a key part in the Warriors defensive schemes and has spent the last 8 years with the team/coach that changed how the NBA is played. Add on he's had NBA HC success (albeit with Bron/Kobe), it's hard to ignore the organizations/coaches he's learned under.

is there anything specific you don’t like about Brown? I think he has a lot of similarities with Monte Williams. Comes from the Pop tree, hired as a head coach in his 30s, had early success and has a wealth of experience.
It's hard to get a read on him. He had success coaching teams led by Lebron and Kobe. I know Lebron didn't have the best supporting cast but his metrics were insane back then. To put it in perspective, Lebron's VORP during his last season with Brown was more than the entire current Kings roster combined.

He gets a lot of accolades for his defense but he also has the best defensive unicorn of our generation in Draymond. It's difficult for me to grade a coach when he gets to coach the best of the best because we don't have that here.

Lastly, I just don't want anything to do with the Warriors anymore. We know Vivek has a thing for them and his attempts to turn the Kings into the Warriors have always failed. We don't have Draymond or Curry. We don't have solid vet wings lining up to play here. I just feel like with these older guys, they're a little more stuck in their ways than the younger guys. They try to bring what worked for them previously to Sacramento and it usually fails.

It's as if it's impossible for any coach other than Malone and Joerger to make this team overachieve, even by a little bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
If I weren't traumatized by years of bad coach hires dating back to Dick Motta "the winningest coach in history" I might be really excited about Brown, but as it is I see a guy who didn't win championships with the best players post MJ. It's tough. when I read up on what he's done in Golden State it's pretty impressive, but I also see a team that as bad as we are on defense has been unable to put the ball in the basket for long stretches which has surely contributed to our futility on the other end. I realize that some of the problems for both are no longer here and can be hopeful but I guess I am just too traumatized until proven wrong.

Everything would be a lot easier to swallow if Jackson's name were out of the mix and we had at least one of the young guys known to be getting an in person, I'm still hopeful at least one is and Ham is just stealing his neighbor's answers to the quiz, something we know isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

I just don't see how Vivek squares the circle of having Jackson as the face of this franchise while also putting the franchise at the forefront of every single social justice and or political hot button since he's taken over.

If I weren't traumatized by years of bad coach hires dating back to Dick Motta "the winningest coach in history" I might be really excited about Brown, but as it is I see a guy who didn't win championships with the best players post MJ. It's tough. when I read up on what he's done in Golden State it's pretty impressive, but I also see a team that as bad as we are on defense has been unable to put the ball in the basket for long stretches which has surely contributed to our futility on the other end. I realize that some of the problems for both are no longer here and can be hopeful but I guess I am just too traumatized until proven wrong.

Everything would be a lot easier to swallow if Jackson's name were out of the mix and we had at least one of the young guys known to be getting an in person, I'm still hopeful at least one is and Ham is just stealing his neighbor's answers to the quiz, something we know isn't out of the realm of possibilities.
Yeah, that's what's uneasy about this. The finalists all look like a list that Vivek would craft, not Monte because of their "HC experience".

We've heard over and over again that Monte has full control and he'll ultimately be responsible for everything moving forward, but it's hard to shake the Vivek stench off the personal decisions.

I was initially opposed to Rick Adelman, thinking not a retread please.
Well i've been watching some Brown and Clifford interviews and if the list of candidates is officially three veteran HC’s hope it’s Brown. That is mostly related to age and Pop connections.
He sounds like a guy player’s should get behind, hopefully keep Doug around as an assistant and keep stressing defense.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I was initially opposed to Rick Adelman, thinking not a retread please.
Well i've been watching some Brown and Clifford interviews and if the list of candidates is officially three veteran HC’s hope it’s Brown. That is mostly related to age and Pop connections.
He sounds like a guy player’s should get behind, hopefully keep Doug around as an assistant and keep stressing defense.
Rick Adelman also came to the Kings after their 16th straight season of sub-.500 basketball at the age of 52, so there are some parallels.

Maybe Kings are learning from the past to build a championship contender. 1. Hire Brown 2. Draft Bronny in 2 years 3. Sign Lebron 4. Brown + Lebron work their magic and get us to the finals.

Rick Adelman also came to the Kings after their 16th straight season of sub-.500 basketball at the age of 52, so there are some parallels.
wow interesting little fun fact. Petrie and Adelman had a strong prior connection as teammates etc but maybe Monte and Brown could weave some success.

Mike Brown is a legitimately good candidate who comes from the Popovich coaching tree. Overview:

Mike Brown: 52-years-old
  • Former college basketball player at Mesa CC & San Diego
  • Head coaching and assistant coaching experience
  • NBA head coaching jobs:
    • Cavaliers 2005-2010
    • Lakers 2011-2012
    • Cavaliers 2013-2014
  • Overall Record: 347-215, 0.616
  • Best Seasons:
    • 2006 Cavaliers: 50 wins - Lost in Finals
    • 2008 Cavaliers: 66 wins - Lost in Conference Finals
    • 2009 Cavaliers: 61 wins - Lost in Conference Semi-Finals
    • 2011 Lakers: 41 wins (66 game season) - Lost in Conference Semi-Finals
Assistant coaching jobs:
  • 1997-1999 Wizards
  • 2000-2003 Spurs (under Pop)
  • 2003-2005 Pacers (under Carlisle)
  • 2016-present Warriors (under Kerr)
*Won the 2003 championship under Pop
*Won 2017 & 2018 championship under Kerr
The good thing about Brown is he does kind of strike one as a players coach who is going to rely on stars and considering Monte has already put together his core that's a huge plus. Jackson clearly wasn't the reason the Dubs got good, and in the end, this list has no coach shown to turn anything around on their own. Which almost no coach does honestly. Clifford is the only one that has a history of not having guarantees in terms of talent that the others did. Mediocre list and honestly, very little about this makes me think not looking at Bobby Jackson is anything other than a big mistake.

What is the average stint of a successful coach in the NBA? I have to figure it’s about 4 or 5 years. I think us fans are hoping to hire a thirty something coach who is going to be with us for the next 20 years. That just doesn’t happen unless you have a generational talent on the roster.

If Mike Brown is the pick I believe we will have got the decision right and not just the best out of the finalists.
yeah, that never happens and facts are facts, 2 years from now Monte, this coach, and the players could all be gone in favor of a FULL rebuild. This is a 2 year window.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
This article about how he developed the Nigerian national team last year despite gross incompetency from his higher ups is probably more relevant to this discussion than him coaching the Cavs to the finals a decade ago with one of the worst rosters in NBA history (sans Lebron).
I will be honest that to me is the biggest feather in his cap. I watched a lot of those games to see Metu and I came off impressed. I guess if I wasn't terrified of one of the other candidates and had a better feeling about Clifford I wouldn't be so uneasy. Like ok, what if Brown turns us down? or GSW go all the way to finals? uggh.

I will be honest that to me is the biggest feather in his cap. I watched a lot of those games to see Metu and I came off impressed. I guess if I wasn't terrified of one of the other candidates and had a better feeling about Clifford I wouldn't be so uneasy. Like ok, what if Brown turns us down? or GSW go all the way to finals? uggh.
Plus it’s easy to overlook but being on Kerr’s staff for the last 5 years isn’t nothing. If we just put “highly regarded coach with multiple years under Pop and Kerr” we’d be falling all over each other for him. We have this mixed record on him up to his last Cleveland stint but let’s not write up that he’s been no doubt learning and becoming a better coach under one of the greats - and during a time that the Warriors have pulled off an incredible turnaround from the top to the bottom and back again

Status
Not open for further replies.