Kings first round of coaching candidate interviews comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The only thing about Charlotte is that's going to be another pressure cooker. They are one foot in, and one foot out of that middle of the pack run. Can they get there? They are basically stuck roster wise. The Kings have all the tools at their disposal to be able to create a team around Fox and Domas next summer. That means Snyder gets to go shopping a year after getting his feet wet. Yeah, if he waits then it's a no go. The Kings will have to move on. This is probably where you'd like to see the Kings request permission to talk to him.
And in the meddlesome owners who make questionable choices time and time again Olympics, MJ is narrowly behind Vivek. He's reportedly the one who fired Borrego and not Mitch Kupchak.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Rubio is fuzzy for me. I thought most of the talk was between he and Evans or was Rubio simply the clear favorite? I feel like people were really worried about his defense and that turned out to be about the last thing you needed to worry about with him.
My recollection is that Rubio was the clear fan favorite, but that may have been colored by my own Rubio diehardism. I don't *remember* a lot of support for drafting Evans before it happened, but there were at least one or two who were high on Tyreke.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I love the TNT guys, they're super entertaining, but they're all bad NBA analysts. They don't know a good chunk of the league, they watch like 3 teams, etc. Hell, they have a joke segment of "who does this guy play for?" and actively admit they don't watch or know about a lot of players.
I agree with with the fact they don't know a lot of the league. That said, I think they've watched enough Utah games over the last several years to have an idea of their team and their coach. For them to raise these questions wouldn't automatically make me decide against Snyder. It would, however, raise some questions that I'd ask of other knowledgeable people around the league.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Honestly, there were about 7 GMs that really did lose their damn minds during that draft. When Hali was dropping, it made me wonder if there was some sort of medical or mental concern with him that wasn't made public. His fall made absolutely zero sense. I could maybe see dropping to 7th tops due to fit, but all the way to 12th? There were a lot of really dumb decisions made that day and luckily our GM did not make one of them.

Do I give him full credit for the pick? I can't because if you would have polled Kings fans when the Kings were on the clock, I'd guess that 90%+ would have picked Hali? I give credit to Monte for not being stupid like the other GMs but he doesn't get any extra credit for making the obvious pick.

In recent memory, I'd say Fox and Hali are tied as the most obvious picks with the Doncic/Bagley pick trailing those two because at least there was some discussion about other candidates that year.
Remember all the talk about Halliburton's shot not being transferable to the NBA? I have a feeling several GMs didn't want that risk, whereas McNair didn't see it as a problem. Also, maybe other GMs were drafting on need. We do see the "need" factor influencing draft pick discussions on this board quite a bit.

Remember all the talk about Halliburton's shot not being transferable to the NBA? I have a feeling several GMs didn't want that risk, whereas McNair didn't see it as a problem. Also, maybe other GMs were drafting on need. We do see the "need" factor influencing draft pick discussions on this board quite a bit.
Which is why you draft the best player available then if needed make a trade for the need to get the right value.

They're all currently in the middle of the playoffs so I don't know if they would have been able to interview anytime soon.

Mike Brown's in the playoffs still too but he literally lives an hour and a half away from G1C
I assume Kings would send their team out to interview wherever the candidates are during the playoffs. Not a reason to cut guys off the list altho hopefully there’s more than those 3 remaining

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I should also note that either of the non-Mark Jackson choices that we know of could both step in and immediately help this team not be a tirefire on defense. Those are two of the best defensive coaches in the league (just don't ask them about offense).

Mark Jackson would be a terrible choice. The other two are perfectly acceptable.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
They're all currently in the middle of the playoffs so I don't know if they would have been able to interview anytime soon.

Mike Brown's in the playoffs still too but he literally lives an hour and a half away from G1C
which is understood but if they haven't narrowed the 7 down I don't want to hear it. I was expecting no news before the conclusion of Boston/MIL so I guess any news right now is unwelcome. Especially if it's a hire :D

I should also note that either of the non-Mark Jackson choices that we know of could both step in and immediately help this team not be a tirefire on defense. Those are two of the best defensive coaches in the league (just don't ask them about offense).

Mark Jackson would be a terrible choice. The other two are perfectly acceptable.
Of those 3 finalist, I would take Mike Brown. I think he is young enough to be flexible with his offense and I'm sure being with Steve Kerr for so many years can only help his offensive philosophy. I would prefer one of the young guys in Ham or Lee, but Mike Brown would be an acceptable, potentially good choice.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Kings were always pretty clear about wanting an experienced coach who've helped teams pull themselves out of the gutter before, which describes the three known finalists (some less than others *coughMark Jacksoncough*). I think we as Kings fans saw the younger names on the list and instantly gravitated towards them as people often do with shiny new mystery boxes.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Of those 3 finalist, I would take Mike Brown. I think he is young enough to be flexible with his offense and I'm sure being with Steve Kerr for so many years can only help his offensive philosophy. I would prefer one of the young guys in Ham or Lee, but Mike Brown would be an acceptable, potentially good choice.
Yeah, it's crazy that Mike Brown is only 52 despite being on Pop's staff with the Spurs wayyyyyyy back in 2000. Guy got hired by the Cavs at a young age, had a couple of bad subsequent gigs (although absolutely no one was going to succeed with the Lakers at that point and the Cavs team that he got fired for coaching to a 33-win season was led by TT and Kyrie and draft bust Anthony Bennett). The guy's been credited for the Warriors' remaining one of the best defensive teams in the league over last half decade and helped turn Team Nigeria into an actual solid program (in spite of Gabe Vincent probably being their best player).

He would actually be the same age that Rick Adelman was when he took over the Kings.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
While I do realize Rick Adelman coached successfully at Portland but then flamed out quickly in Golden State and that probably would have disqualified him in my mind if it happened today, I guess I trace this all the way back to when we brought Dick Motta in that I am just weary of recycled coaches. Jackson has a long list of reasons he is unacceptable and Mike Brown, well we don't have a top 10 talent on this team, which leaves him as a total mystery to me.

gunks

Hall of Famer
The one benefit of Kings hiring Mark Jackson that I don't want to overlook is that such a stupid stupid Vivekian move would probably shatter the little dried up booger that is my remaining fandom to dust.

Not that I wouldn't check back in two years down the road when HE'S fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.