What are you listening to?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
@Löwenherz I'm enjoying watching you put this together. Excellent work.

My apparently very pedestrian musical tastes ( ;) ) are digging the new Def Leppard single, "Kick" - just a fun rocking little song. The second single, "Take What You Want" also isn't bad at all. Their new album "Diamond Star Halos" is due out next month - sounds like they are going a little old school with this one, and I'm not complaining.

I owe most of my musical awareness to our album drafts here, and all of my appreciation for Loveless specifically to you.

You explained it to me in said drafts, and connected me to Cocteau Twins - Treasure, which not coincidentally is in the running for future collages as well.
Well that is wonderful to hear. :)

Loveless is on my 90's Mt. Rushmore, and Treasure is on my 80's Mt. Rushmore, but they're both pretty esoteric records that you have to tunnel inside to truly appreciate, so it's great that you're getting your little one's ears accustomed to those kinds of sounds early!

Well that is wonderful to hear. :)

Loveless is on my 90's Mt. Rushmore, and Treasure is on my 80's Mt. Rushmore, but they're both pretty esoteric records that you have to tunnel inside to truly appreciate, so it's great that you're getting your little one's ears accustomed to those kinds of sounds early!
I would very much like to hear the rest of your Mt. Rushmores

I would very much like to hear the rest of your Mt. Rushmores
As with most subjective rankings, my own personal lists can shift by the day. But if my Mt. Rushmore for each decade contains five albums a piece, then for the 80's, it's probably:

Cocteau Twins - Treasure
The Cure - Disintegration
Prince - Purple Rain
Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair
Echo & the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain

For the 90's, it's probably:

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Hum - You'd Prefer an Astronaut
The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album
Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children

For the 00's, it's probably:

Deftones - White Pony
Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele
mewithoutYou - Brother, Sister
El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead
M83 - Dead Cities, Red Seas, & Lost Ghosts

And for the 10's, it's probably:

Death Grips - The Money Store
Kuedo - Severant
Teeth of the Sea - Master
Chromatics - Kill for Love
Sleigh Bells - Treats

Note: I enjoy plenty of music from the 60's and 70's, but those eras do not hold the same rarefied status for me that they do for many others. My Mt. Rushmore's for those decades would be half-hearted attempts, so I'm leaving out that much-ballyhooed time in popular music. But I will shout out Gary Numan's Replicas, which was released in 1979. That said, I like to think of it as 80's music, since Mr. Numan was quite far ahead of his time. ;)

A new co worker just recommended Stoop Kids to me. They are in the same genre as Atmosphere, Brother Ali, Dr. Dog, etc., and I've enjoyed what I've listened to so far.

I also saw Fruit Bats at Harlow's about a month or so back, and they put on a great show, worth a listen for anyone unfamiliar with them.

I owe most of my musical awareness to our album drafts here
You're welcome. Just kidding. We should do another album draft. I think I overachieved getting one vote.

And now for the Mount Rushmores nobody asked for but I thought would be fun to make.

'60s

Karlheinz Stockhausen - Kontakte
Silver Apples - Silver Apples
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica
Cromagnon - Cromagnon

'70s

Faust - Faust
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
The Residents - Meet the Residents
Throbbing Gristle - The Second Annual Report

'80s

Aksak Maboul - Un Peu de l'Âme des Bandits
Whitehouse - Birthdeath Experience
Nurse with Wound - Soliloquy for Lilith
Brian Eno - Ambient 4 (On Land)

'90s

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Bernhard Günter - Un Peu de Neige Salie
Björk - Debut

I'm not even remotely qualified to do any other decades, but Oil of Every Pearl's Un-Insides by Sophie has to make its decade's Mount Rushmore.

You're welcome. Just kidding. We should do another album draft. I think I overachieved getting one vote.

And now for the Mount Rushmores nobody asked for but I thought would be fun to make.

'60s

Karlheinz Stockhausen - Kontakte
Silver Apples - Silver Apples
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica
Cromagnon - Cromagnon

'70s

Faust - Faust
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom
The Residents - Meet the Residents
Throbbing Gristle - The Second Annual Report

'80s

Aksak Maboul - Un Peu de l'Âme des Bandits
Whitehouse - Birthdeath Experience
Nurse with Wound - Soliloquy for Lilith
Brian Eno - Ambient 4 (On Land)

'90s

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Bernhard Günter - Un Peu de Neige Salie
Björk - Debut

I'm not even remotely qualified to do any other decades, but Oil of Every Pearl's Un-Insides by Sophie has to make its decade's Mount Rushmore.
You’re my favorite

I recently watched "Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai", one of my favorite movies. The soundtrack is produced by Rza, which led me to look up some of the artists. My search led me to Killah Priest and his debut album "Heavy Mental". Its a gritty 90's hip hop album and I dig it. My favorite song from the album so far is "From then till now".

I recently watched "Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai", one of my favorite movies. The soundtrack is produced by Rza, which led me to look up some of the artists. My search led me to Killah Priest and his debut album "Heavy Mental". Its a gritty 90's hip hop album and I dig it. My favorite song from the album so far is "From then till now".
Might be more appropriate for the film thread, but if you love Ghost Dog, I highly recommend catching Le Samouraï, the 60s French New Wave Film Noir on which Ghost Dog is essentially a “played straight” tribute

SLAB

Hall of Famer
All That Remains has been my workout jam recently. Saw them at Ace of Spades last month for my first concert since the Pandemic shut the world down.

Can’t wait to hit some more concerts!

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
So Diamond Star Halos is out today and here's the third single - Fire it Up - good sound to it, and looking forward to the concert in September in SF (Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Poison, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts)!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Bringing it back to my high school days. I’m going to see Atreyu next month, so they’re in my rotation.

Their new stuff is … different. And they have a new / less utilized screamer.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Caught a few concerts over the past few months.

My wife and I went to see The Chicks and Shania Twain (with Hailey Whitters opening) to bookend May in Las Vegas and at the Hollywood Bowl, respectively (my wife is a big country fan).

We followed that up with catching Sara Evans in Oregon last month while up there on vacation.

I then made probably not the wisest choice in getting tickets for back-to-back work night concerts, seeing Foreigner (with Loverboy opening) two nights ago and Duran Duran (with Nile Rodgers Chic and Bastille opening) over the past two days. Going to be hurting today a bit I think from lack of sleep.

Caught a few concerts over the past few months.

My wife and I went to see The Chicks and Shania Twain (with Hailey Whitters opening) to bookend May in Las Vegas and at the Hollywood Bowl, respectively (my wife is a big country fan).

We followed that up with catching Sara Evans in Oregon last month while up there on vacation.

I then made probably not the wisest choice in getting tickets for back-to-back work night concerts, seeing Foreigner (with Loverboy opening) two nights ago and Duran Duran (with Nile Rodgers Chic and Bastille opening) over the past two days. Going to be hurting today a bit I think from lack of sleep.
Would you consider yourself a country fan?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Would you consider yourself a country fan?
I like some of it, but typically don't listen to it as a primary choice (I'm typically more of a rock / pop / alternative guy) - most of what I like is the more "crossover" country I guess. The Chicks, Shania, and Sara Evans are all artists that we both like, along with some stuff by Brad Paisley, Carrie Underwood, Kenney Chesney, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Miranda Lambert, and probably a few others. We've seen all of those in concert before as well.

My wife will listen to a country station and know most of the new stuff. I have no clue what just about any of it is. I guess my tastes in country are generally fixed with some older stuff (as listed above).

I am very excited that we are going to catch Garth Brooks in Las Vegas in December, though, as he's just such an iconic/singular talent and performer and I've never seen him live before (my wife saw him perform once, but it was before we met and were married 20+ years ago).