Kings first round of coaching candidate interviews comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Players loved him. Jackson had problems with the FO and ownership.
the dude refused to talk to his assistant coaches, left most of the actual basketball stuff to Mike Malone, and banned Jerry West (who was partly running the team at the time) from practices.

also, I’m not sure it matters how much a guy’s loved by his players when he’s rubbing their sprained ankles with holy water and making them jump to prove it worked.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
No disrespect to that Spurs tree, but I’d prefer that Miami tree. Miami doesn’t get the same kinda love, but pound for pound, top to bottom, east to west, I think that Miami system is more appropriate for Sac than the Spurs system.
Yes. I was somewhat disappointed to see no Miami assistant on the list.

Thanks for the clarification.
I honestly don't have proof of the players not liking him, but I'm sure some did not appreciate being forced to pray with the team.

Personally, I would still not like to see Mark Jackson running the show.
I don't see anything in his track record that even warrants an interview.

Warriors won 51 games and got knocked out in the first round with Jackson as the coach.

Won 67 games and the championship with Kerr the next year with basically the same roster.

I'll give you an uptick in improvement with Barnes and Draymond going into their 2nd year but not that much of an improvement. If you want to go with a known coach, you want to go with one like McMillan who has a track record of making teams better. Not the guy with the track record on the flip side of that coin.

Warriors won 51 games and got knocked out in the first round with Jackson as the coach.

Won 67 games and the championship with Kerr the next year with basically the same roster.

I'll give you an uptick in improvement with Barnes and Draymond going into their 2nd year but not that much of an improvement. If you want to go with a known coach, you want to go with one like McMillan who has a track record of making teams better. Not the guy with the track record on the flip side of that coin.
Yeah, when you're sitting on a generational team that only becomes generational after you've been replaced...something might be up with the coaching acumen.

Will Hardy is a very intriguing option. Having read a little about him, he has had some time in FO of the spurs with RC Bufford, extensive experience in the video room and in player development with the Spurs. Was fairly important on Ime Udoka cha ging culture in Boston, which wasnt exceptionally great in last year of Brad Stevens as HC with unclear roles and expectations. Udoka and his staff solidified na hierarchy, set clear expectations for Tatum, Brown, and Marcus Smart. That allowed all 3 to settle in and they established a top 2 defense in the league, developed strong under the radar talent like Robert Williams from a guy whonwas a borderline rotation player intona dude who was a candidate for DPOY. This article from The Athletic from last year paints a picture of the exact guy the kings may need on the bench.

https://theathletic.com/2683566/202...-ime-udoka-bring-the-spurs-culture-to-boston/

Outside of him, i would be willing to watch and see what happens with Doc (a bit over-rated, but still a good coach IMO), Nash (who may mot have the most stability), and Snyder. Borreggo would be ok too but I'm not hugely excited by him. Yes he improved the team, but i see him only ever as a developer who holds the seat for the ultimate HC.

I dont want Marc Jackson anywhere near this team, and i would hope the FO and ownership experience of GSW would give Vivek pause (he was a part owner of GSW at the time so should remember that debacle). While Mike Brown may have a strong defensive mind, his offense looks rec league at best and i think he is better suited as a 1st assistant/associate HC than this job. I would keep Doug on the staff of whoever we hire, to groom him but also he seemed to have a good rapport with Fox and the rest of the team.

We need to heavily invest in an elite training staff. It is very important to keep Fox and Sabonis on the court and elite trainers are very important to that end (just ask phoenix who resurrected Grant Hill and kept Shaq going or steph who was an ankle injury away from not being the elite player he is).

Nah the players themselves (including Curry) gave a TON of credit to what Mark Jackson built there with them. Kerr was a beneficiary of a lot even though he helped them take the next step

I think I've already hired Will Hardy in my mind. I just hope it isn't an older candidate with a track record of second round and earlier exits.
Yeah, take the upside swing on the Ham, Hardy or Lee for me. Let's try and feasibly find a coach that could be here 10+years. I'd be "Ok" with Clifford, Brown or D'Antoni, but none of them would really excite me as a long-term prospect coach. And of course Jackson would just be a catastrophe.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It'd be worth a call. He says he wants time off, but does he turn down a top 5 NBA coach salary offer? Maybe not.

High profile college coaches don't always translate, but I'd absolutely empty the coffers for a chance at Wright. He's always been so impressive with his schemes in college.
I think the "best" Wright scenario would be him going to Utah which would open Snyder up to us?

The latter part is probably a pipe dream but I don't see Wright coming here either.

I think the "best" Wright scenario would be him going to Utah which would open Snyder up to us?

The latter part is probably a pipe dream but I don't see Wright coming here either.
But the DDV championship connection will come through :D

Yeah probably not though. But still I'd put the offer out there; Top 5 coach salary, and a reasonably ok core to walk into.

Will Hardy is a very intriguing option. Having read a little about him, he has had some time in FO of the spurs with RC Bufford, extensive experience in the video room and in player development with the Spurs. Was fairly important on Ime Udoka cha ging culture in Boston, which wasnt exceptionally great in last year of Brad Stevens as HC with unclear roles and expectations. Udoka and his staff solidified na hierarchy, set clear expectations for Tatum, Brown, and Marcus Smart. That allowed all 3 to settle in and they established a top 2 defense in the league, developed strong under the radar talent like Robert Williams from a guy whonwas a borderline rotation player intona dude who was a candidate for DPOY. This article from The Athletic from last year paints a picture of the exact guy the kings may need on the bench.

https://theathletic.com/2683566/202...-ime-udoka-bring-the-spurs-culture-to-boston/

Outside of him, i would be willing to watch and see what happens with Doc (a bit over-rated, but still a good coach IMO), Nash (who may mot have the most stability), and Snyder. Borreggo would be ok too but I'm not hugely excited by him. Yes he improved the team, but i see him only ever as a developer who holds the seat for the ultimate HC.

I dont want Marc Jackson anywhere near this team, and i would hope the FO and ownership experience of GSW would give Vivek pause (he was a part owner of GSW at the time so should remember that debacle). While Mike Brown may have a strong defensive mind, his offense looks rec league at best and i think he is better suited as a 1st assistant/associate HC than this job. I would keep Doug on the staff of whoever we hire, to groom him but also he seemed to have a good rapport with Fox and the rest of the team.

We need to heavily invest in an elite training staff. It is very important to keep Fox and Sabonis on the court and elite trainers are very important to that end (just ask phoenix who resurrected Grant Hill and kept Shaq going or steph who was an ankle injury away from not being the elite player he is).
Rocketing up thru the Spurs org and getting tabbed by Ime Udoka and Boston, now undergoing their own mini-resurgence, probably gives Hardy the “hottest” resume this offseason

At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if Doc is in Brooklyn next year

not all the players. A lot felt he was a phony and over the top with all his prayer stuff
I refuse to become the Mark Jackson defender, because frankly, I'm not a fan. His personal beliefs and what not seeped into the locker room and on the court. I'm not for that. I find him hypocritical and duplicitous as well.

But "not all" should always be implied when a general comment is made. Jackson was blackballed by NBA executives. He wasn't chased out by his players. Plenty of articles, etc of ex players saying he was a good coach and should be in the league. So take that for what it's worth.

I think picking a young coach and hiring a former successful HC as an assistant (D’antoni, Clifford?) to be a right hand man would be a way to approach it. Yes, we did it with Bill Walton’s son. However, Bill Walton’s son sucked donkey nuts and Gentry, while a steady hand, was never really all that successful himself

I think picking a young coach and hiring a former successful HC as an assistant (D’antoni, Clifford?) to be a right hand man would be a way to approach it. Yes, we did it with Bill Walton’s son. However, Bill Walton’s son sucked donkey nuts and Gentry, while a steady hand, was never really all that successful himself
So David adelman and Rick adelman as his assistant?

What do we really want out of our choice? I was listening to KBP and they were profiling the three younger guys. Ham was identified as an enforcer and accountability guy. Lee was pegged as the smoother outer positive reinforcement type who is also the most charismatic. Hardy is a steady riser who has worked his way up the ranks. In the sound bites he came across as humble and a little bit of an Aw shucks dude. I don’t mean in an insulting way but always heaping the praise on others while not propping himself up. Is that just humility or is he not cut out to be the top dog? “We need a supreme commander not the Dave Clark 5”

I don’t know.

From ESPN on Charles Lee:

“Few assistant coaches saw a bigger season-to-season jump in our informal poll than Charles Lee, 35, who’s in his sixth season working under Mike Budenholzer in Atlanta and now Milwaukee. Fans of Lee, who played professionally overseas before spending a couple of years as an equity trader on Wall Street, tout him as a five-tool coach who is every bit as comfortable having meaningful conversations with a backup point guard as he is dining with a team owner. Those who have worked with him say he has an intuitive sense of how to inspire improvement from players but also understands high-level strategy and the preparation required to implement it. He is, in the words of one peer, someone who is “categorically going to be an NBA head coach.”
This might sound petty but this isn’t the kind of guy I want around Vivek, which is saying nothing about Lee and everything about Vivek - who might see a shiny new object that he thinks he has a special connection with and might try to Machiavelli into a bigger role. Tempting fate

Well, the Bucks just finished off the Bulls tonight and have the next 3 days off until their next game on Sunday. The Celtics are also off until they meet the Bucks on Sunday. The Kings have 2 Bucks (Ham and Lee) and 1 Celtics (Hardy) assistants coaches on their short list.

Here is our opportunity to get these guys to come in for an in person interview. Let's hope one of these top assistants knocks Monte's socks off and we get ourselves a good, young head coach signed soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.