Kings first round of coaching candidate interviews comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.
No disrespect to that Spurs tree, but I’d prefer that Miami tree. Miami doesn’t get the same kinda love, but pound for pound, top to bottom, east to west, I think that Miami system is more appropriate for Sac than the Spurs system.
Problem is what coach from the Miami that has gone on to be successful head coach in the NBA? Of the top of my head, in recent years it has been Stan Van Gundy, Keith Smart, David Fizdale, Juwan Howard. None of them has really done much in recent years. Of the current assistant, Chris Quinn is promising but that’s all I can think of.

Problem is what coach from the Miami that has gone on to be successful head coach in the NBA? Of the top of my head, in recent years it has been Stan Van Gundy, Keith Smart, David Fizdale, Juwan Howard. None of them has really done much in recent years. Of the current assistant, Chris Quinn is promising but that’s all I can think of.
I don’t have a good read on assistants beyond the Kings, so I don’t know who from Miami is qualified to be a hc. I just think that leadership structure is top notch—from Riley to Spoelstra. They have a culture, a type, play tough, and find ways to identify under the radar talent, and develop their players.

Man, Snyder could walk right into nearly any gig he wants. He’d probably let the Kings go to voicemail then immediately delete said voicemail
Really? Which one would he want? So far the available ones all kind of suck, lol. Vivek would obviously need to make it worth his while.

If they lose to a Mavs team without Luka while the Jazz are healthy he should be fired.
They are kind of a team on the front end of potential transition anyway. I think Snyder would be awesome for the Kings but he's not without issue. His in game adjustments the last few years have been horrid. Partly probably because of trust in his guys but when he let PG13 at C bury them and left Gobert on the floor instead of going small Snyder blew it. At some point you have to figure it out and make the tough call regardless of feelings. He would however be a perfect fit for this Kings team now. Get good first to salvage something and then worry about things later.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
They are kind of a team on the front end of potential transition anyway. I think Snyder would be awesome for the Kings but he's not without issue. His in game adjustments the last few years have been horrid. Partly probably because of trust in his guys but when he let PG13 at C bury them and left Gobert on the floor instead of going small Snyder blew it. At some point you have to figure it out and make the tough call regardless of feelings. He would however be a perfect fit for this Kings team now. Get good first to salvage something and then worry about things later.
Yeah, the absolute refusal to hide Gobert/ fully commit to playing him entirely in drop has pretty much been the Jazz's downfall in the postseason for the last two years. Part of this is compounded by Gobert being one of the best rim protectors in league history while also displaying the lateral dexterity of post-Miami Shaq but some of it is on Snyder for failing to adjust his team's strategy to compensate for this in the postseason, even f that would mean going small ad keeping Gobert or Whiteside off the floor.

At the same time, the situation has absolutely not been helped by Danny Ainge taking over the front office over the summer and doing what Danny Ainge does best (sit on assets/players until they completely depreciate in value). The guy talked about wanting to trade Ingles all year but only ended up trading him after his leg gave out and he suffered a potential career-ending injury and then only got NAW for his expiring. Also they Jazz somehow let having a DPOY in the middle lull them into building a starting lineup with two subpar defenders and two solid role guys on the end. If they just had one strong defender on the point of attack, so many of their problems would be solved but instead they've benched Jared Butler all season (probably the only young guy on their roster with any potential of becoming a strong defender on-ball) and played Trent Forrest a bunch instead.

The Jazz don't have any draft capital to speak of so they're sorta screwed any way you look at it but Snyder deserves some of the blame while also needs some sympathy for having to work with this roster that's clearly peaked.

Mark Jackson can be knowledgeable, but if he can't relate to the players . . .

Brown is lazier than Walton. Walton literally only got out of the seat when he knew his job was on the line.

D'Antoni is probably a good option . . . for another team. The type of basketball he forces teams to play does not fit our team, actually we are the polar opposite of a run and gun team right now.

Out of those with head coach experience I would suggest Clifford and that is not saying A LOT.

Saying you did your 'HW' doesn't make this list any more encouraging and this list does not exactly inspire (much if any) confidence.

Brown is lazier than Walton. Walton literally only got out of the seat when he knew his job was on the line.

D'Antoni is probably a good option . . . for another team. The type of basketball he forces teams to play does not fit our team, actually we are the polar opposite of a run and gun team right now.

Out of those with head coach experience I would suggest Clifford and that is not saying A LOT.

Saying you did your 'HW' doesn't make this list any more encouraging and this list does not exactly inspire (much if any) confidence.
Clifford has never had a really good team and did a good job with what he had imo. However? He is 60 and I’d rather shoot for the stars and hope to land a young coach that can grow with us

I remember Monte was interested in Chris Finch before, the FO should have an eye on the upcoming assistant coaches which I think is a good choice. Some of the previous head coach candidates either don't adapt to the NBA playing style now or too old to get along with the current generations.

Last edited:
"Mama, there goes that man" into dust bin of history highlighting 15 long years, one after another fired Kings head coaches.

60 is young anymore. If we get a coach for 6-8 years that would be a miracle.
It would depend on the assistant coaches. If it’s D’Antoni, who i think is the favorite to get the gig bcz he’s bro hugged Monte before, how effective he is will come down to who he picks as his assistants. I don’t see D’Antoni as a get your hands dirty type of coach at this point in his career. More chairman type. Needs a strong second chair, who operates like a ceo.

I remember Monte was interested in Chris Finch before, the FO should have an eye on the upcoming assistant coaches which I think is a good choice. Some of the previous head candidates either don't adapt to the NBA playing style now or too old to get along with the current generations.
Curious if Minnesota doesn’t unexpectedly hire Finch during the season last year, would Monte have let Walton go during last off-season. I had read that he was a big fan of Finch. Maybe Minnesota knew this also and just beat him to the punch. I remember it was surprising they had hired an assistant from another staff rather than just take the usual step of appointing an interim for the rest of the season.

There has only been two 70 plus head coaches in NBA history. Mikey D for 2-3 years doesn’t seem like the right fit for a franchise in need of stability. I suppose if Monte felt he had one season to make the playoffs or be fired he might pull the trigger. That would buy him a couple years and if he did get let go he would have returning the Kings to the playoffs on his resume. Personally I think he will end up with one of the younger dudes unless he really hits it off with Stevie C.

There has only been two 70 plus head coaches in NBA history. Mikey D for 2-3 years doesn’t seem like the right fit for a franchise in need of stability. I suppose if Monte felt he had one season to make the playoffs or be fired he might pull the trigger. That would buy him a couple years and if he did get let go he would have returning the Kings to the playoffs on his resume. Personally I think he will end up with one of the younger dudes unless he really hits it off with Stevie C.
There was a podcast where Jerry Reynolds said something like “Monte doesn’t care what happens to the Kings in three years”. I don’t want to hunt down the podcast and that’s not a direct quote, but the implication was (is) that Monte knows he won’t be here, if the Kings don’t win. Stability and long term reasons are going to be low on his priority list. It is also why I think he trades the pick if it ends up being 7 or worse. Desperation = short term moves. Don’t blame him for being selfish at all. It is the way of the world.

I just don't think he has a track record of doing anything special on offense. He's just relied on hall of famers throughout his coaching career.

It would just suck to get a guy who comes in and makes the defense better while still running the same YMCA style offense. Hopefully there is a better candidate out there that can get the offense and defense going.
To be fair, when Mike Brown was coaching the Cavs they were pretty much LeBron James and a bunch of role players. Literally, the Cavs next best players were Zydrunas Illgauskas and Mo Williams. And Brown got those team to multiple 60+ wins seasons and a NBA Finals. This was in the day of needing at least 2, if not 3 superstars to compete for a title. I'm not endorsing Brown , but he does have a championship ring (with the GSW) to help command the players attention. His defensive mind would be great, hopefully he would bring a good offensive assistant coach with him

There was a podcast where Jerry Reynolds said something like “Monte doesn’t care what happens to the Kings in three years”. I don’t want to hunt down the podcast and that’s not a direct quote, but the implication was (is) that Monte knows he won’t be here, if the Kings don’t win. Stability and long term reasons are going to be low on his priority list. It is also why I think he trades the pick if it ends up being 7 or worse. Desperation = short term moves. Don’t blame him for being selfish at all. It is the way of the world.
And if the goal is to start climbing now, 3 years doesn't matter much. The Kings core isn't old but any coach right now has a 2 year window and honestly and so do they. Hiring a young coach that could be a transition into a potential rebuild in a worst case goes by the name Bobby Jackson. He's been here. He's brought the only marginal success the team has seen in the last few years. He's shown his development abilities. This is about now and so far, this list has one name with a legit track record and that's D'Antoni. If the Kings don't wait for a few teams to drop in the playoffs then clearly, Monte was specifically looking at someone in this particular list.

I don't think I could handle hiring a known coach. We wont get to hire Snyder or Kerr or Budenholzer etc. We just need to be smart about which upstart coach we decide to hire. I don't want any former Kings from the golden era, either. We have to duplicate the success that other teams have had introducing brand new head coaches to the league.

I don't think I could handle hiring a known coach. We wont get to hire Snyder or Kerr or Budenholzer etc. We just need to be smart about which upstart coach we decide to hire. I don't want any former Kings from the golden era, either. We have to duplicate the success that other teams have had introducing brand new head coaches to the league.
Pretty much agree. Of the names already mentioned Im leaning Will Hardy but if Atkinson does enter the mix its a different story.

And if the goal is to start climbing now, 3 years doesn't matter much. The Kings core isn't old but any coach right now has a 2 year window and honestly and so do they. Hiring a young coach that could be a transition into a potential rebuild in a worst case goes by the name Bobby Jackson. He's been here. He's brought the only marginal success the team has seen in the last few years. He's shown his development abilities. This is about now and so far, this list has one name with a legit track record and that's D'Antoni. If the Kings don't wait for a few teams to drop in the playoffs then clearly, Monte was specifically looking at someone in this particular list.
most likely and since there’s not too many available jobs, Sac can take more of a back seat to wait for the candidates to become available and interview their vision of what Sac can become. It’s a good idea to hear out all the candidates they’re interested in so they can actually help Vivek think less “stauskas stauskas stauskas o_O

Known or unknown, Monte built this Fox and the Ox thing so he has to have some idea of how it should be used. The coach that comes in either willing to listen or with the right ideas about how to use Fox/Sabonis should make the first cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.