Kings first round of coaching candidate interviews comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The assumption is that he didn't know Hardy beforehand. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. By the way, there is no mention in the article that Hardy was the heir apparent to Pop. Could be that Ham got that one on his own.
It was a different article - it's not on the front page of Google hits for Hardy anymore, but it was when I Googled him early this afternoon.

Edit: This article. Right in the headline, don't even have to click on the story when it does come up in Google:

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/09/nba-boston-celtics-hardy-to-spurs/

I’m not mad at Mark Jackson at all. He knows the game
Plus he would be an extra trainer for the Kings, who have churned through three different training staffs in 5 yrs. Pull a hamstring? No worries. Jackson would throw some water on the hamstring and the player will be 100% in a heartbeat.

Too bad Bags is gone. Would be the perfect coach for him.

On his last podcast, he said “not many people agree with my Murray take” and freaking doubled down on it by saying that he sees rotation player potential on him at best.
In the current limited attention span era, taking the contrarian hot take usually is the way to go. Everyone already thinks you’re an idiot. If Murray is a bust he uses it to build his reputation. If he’s wrong… he’s still an idiot.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
it's interesting everyone is concerned with Pop's successor suddenly. The whole world expected it to be Becky and when she jumped to the WNBA it indicated to me that he is likely to go at least 3 more years. If he suddenly retired I think that would be the biggest disappointment.
he could always pull a Tim Duncan and then just come out with it when he decides its time to step away

Taking a look at the experienced head coaches, I think that's a really good list. Comparing the three:

Mike D'Antoni: 70-years-old
  1. Former NBA player
  2. Head coaching and assistant coaching experience
  3. Most notable NBA head coaching jobs:
    • Suns 2003-2008
    • Knicks 2008-2012
    • Lakers 2012-2014
    • Rockets 2016-2020
  4. Overall Record: 672-527, 0.560
  5. Best seasons:
    • 2004 Suns: 62 wins - Lost in Conference Finals
    • 2017 Rockets: 65 wins - Lost in Conference Finals

Mike Brown: 52-years-old
  1. Former college basketball player at Mesa CC & San Diego
  3. Most notable NBA head coaching jobs:
    • Cavaliers 2005-2010
    • Lakers 2011-2012
    • Cavaliers 2013-2014
  4. Overall Record: 347-215, 0.616
  5. Best Seasons:
    • 2008 Cavaliers: 66 wins - Lost in Conference Finals
    • 2009 Cavaliers: 61 wins - Lost in Conference Semi-Finals
    • 2011 Lakers: 41 wins (66 game season) - Lost in Conference Semi-Finals
  6. Most notable assistant coaching jobs:
    • 2000-2003 Spurs (under Pop)
    • 2016-present Warriors (under Kerr)
Steve Clifford: 60-years-old
  1. Former college basketball player at Maine-Farmington
  3. NBA head coaching jobs:
    • 2013-2018 Hornets
    • 2018-2021 Magic
  4. Overall Record: 292-345, 0.458
  5. Best Seasons:
    • 2013 Hornets: 43 wins - Lost in First Round
    • 2015 Hornets: 45 wins - Lost in First Round
    • 2018 Magic: 42 wins - Lost in First round
  6. Most notable assistant coaching jobs:
    • 2001-2003 Knicks (under JVG)
    • 2007-2012 Magic (under SVG)

Looking at the other candidates,

Darvin Ham: 48-years-old
  1. Former NBA player for roughly 8 seasons
  2. Professional head coaching experience:
    • G-League: NM Thunderbirds 2010-2011
  3. NBA assistant coaching jobs:
    • 2011-2013 Lakers
      • Focused on Player Development
      • Under Mike Brown & Mark D'Antoni
    • 2013-2018 Hawks
      • Under Mike Budenholzer
    • 2018-present Bucks
      • Under Mike Budenholzer
Charles Lee: 37-years-old
  1. Former professional player in Europe for roughly 4 seasons
  2. NBA assistant coaching jobs:
    • 2014-2018 Hawks
      • Under Mike Budenholzer
      • Focused on Player Development
    • 2018-present Bucks
      • Under Mike Budenholzer

Will Hardy: 33-years-old
  1. Division III college player from Williams College
  2. NBA assistant coaching jobs:
    • 2016-2021 Spurs
      • Under Popovich
    • 2021-present Celtics
      • Under Ime Udoka

I’m down to throw a Hail Mary and go with a young unproven coach. What’s another 5-10 more losing seasons, I can handle it #KANGZZZZ

Is the above just round one of interviews and we can expect to see more candidates, or is this it. Like already mentioned a crack at Atkinson would be nice if interested.

DC is older than a couple of these assistants and a fan favourite, I know he has minimal coaching experience but showed some savvy when he stepped in for Gentry. Just curious if he’s worth a consideration or not yet, and Bobby Jackson.

Is the above just round one of interviews and we can expect to see more candidates, or is this it. Like already mentioned a crack at Atkinson would be nice if interested.

DC is older than a couple of these assistants and a fan favourite, I know he has minimal coaching experience but showed some savvy when he stepped in for Gentry. Just curious if he’s worth a consideration or not yet, and Bobby Jackson.
I think first round is current available coaches and assistants we have permission to interview. I thought I read a tweet where we would expand the search when more candidates are available. I’m assuming after head coaches get canned after poor playoff showings.

Have a feeling that Vivek will force a Mike Brown or Mark Jackson hiring. He can't help himself when it comes to the Warriors.
Mike Brown wouldn't be horrible. He's a pretty respected assistant and Dray giving him a lot of credit for their defense is encouraging. But he'd be the least inspiring of the "acceptable" candidates for sure.

If it's Jackson, I'd be taking a long break from the Kings until things got interesting with the next rebuild and the next FO/core. I'd be very worried if Vlade were still in charge, but I'm hoping McNair being smart can win out

Mike Brown wouldn't be horrible. He's a pretty respected assistant and Dray giving him a lot of credit for their defense is encouraging. But he'd be the least inspiring of the "acceptable" candidates for sure.

If it's Jackson, I'd be taking a long break from the Kings until things got interesting with the next rebuild and the next FO/core. I'd be very worried if Vlade were still in charge, but I'm hoping McNair being smart can win out
I just don't think he has a track record of doing anything special on offense. He's just relied on hall of famers throughout his coaching career.

It would just suck to get a guy who comes in and makes the defense better while still running the same YMCA style offense. Hopefully there is a better candidate out there that can get the offense and defense going.

Kingz19

Hall of Famer
I think there is a reason Jackson hasn’t had any gigs since Golden State. Dude was pounding the rock to Jermaine O Neal and David Lee when he had Steph and Klay.

A team going from middle of the pack to historically good as a result of a coaching change and acquiring Andre Igoudala isn’t really a good look on the outgoing coach.

He can get his teams to D up and leave it all out there, but we mainly want somebody who can unlock the full offensive potential of a Fox-Sabonis core and hopefully some newly acquired glut of three point shooters. Jackson would go about it wrong IMO.

D’Antoni I’m not a fan of but he’s a little warmer.

Curious about what can be found in Udoka or Budenholzers staffs.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I just don't think he has a track record of doing anything special on offense. He's just relied on hall of famers throughout his coaching career.

It would just suck to get a guy who comes in and makes the defense better while still running the same YMCA style offense. Hopefully there is a better candidate out there that can get the offense and defense going.
Yeah, that's my concern as well. Would he have the imagination to design an offense around Sabonis? My first question for Brown (and the other candidates): What would be the design of your offense for this Kings' team? If he didn't respond by saying he'd start with Sabonis and leverage his passing ability by doing X,Y and Z with the design, I'd write him off the list. If he talks about copying the Warriors' system onto this Kings team I'd especially write him off the list and he wouldn't get a second interview. The new coach must have the smarts to create an offensive system around the existing personnel.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I do like that the young coaching candidates have been either directly or indirectly grown from the Spurs tree. I want younger as opposed to older and most importantly, smart as opposed to the dumb. No more, "um, um, um, you know, you know, we'll have to look at the tape" garbage. Look, Udoka wasn't a HC when he was hired. Spoelstra, Budenholzer and for that matter, Popovitch, didn't have HC experience either (other than one year at Pomona-Pitzer college) when they were hired. To rule out assistant coaches seems foolish to me.

I do like that the young coaching candidates have been either directly or indirectly grown from the Spurs tree. I want younger as opposed to older and most importantly, smart as opposed to the dumb. No more, "um, um, um, you know, you know, we'll have to look at the tape" garbage. Look, Udoka wasn't a HC when he was hired. Spoelstra, Budenholzer and for that matter, Popovitch, didn't have HC experience either (other than one year at Pomona-Pitzer college) when they were hired. To rule out assistant coaches seems foolish to me.
No disrespect to that Spurs tree, but I’d prefer that Miami tree. Miami doesn’t get the same kinda love, but pound for pound, top to bottom, east to west, I think that Miami system is more appropriate for Sac than the Spurs system.

Status
Not open for further replies.