Kings first round of coaching candidate interviews comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
No F'ing way do I want D'Antoni.

As for Jackson, what exactly is the objection? I've listened to over an hour now on ESPN radio and these cowards won't explicitly say what the objection is; they just talk elliptically, cryptically, and PC-cowardly about Jackson, saying they wouldn't hire him. So what are the details?

Here's a good read.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

As for Jackson, what exactly is the objection? I've listened to over an hour now on ESPN radio and these cowards won't explicitly say what the objection is; they just talk elliptically, cryptically, and PC-cowardly about Jackson, saying they wouldn't hire him. So what are the details?
He’s a bad coach whose team went on to become the most dominant franchise of the century almost immediately after he got canned.

Because discussing some of the reasons you wouldn't want him in the organization can take the radio shows down a path they don't want to go.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Because discussing some of the reasons you wouldn't want him in the organization can take the radio shows down a path they don't want to go.
It's not like they don't control the radio show! They control whether they take callers or not. They control the discussion from start to end. I'm so freaking tired of this abject cowardice in the media. There is such rank hypocrisy also. Let's "have a discussion.":rolleyes: Oh, but let's not explicitly talk about certain subjects. Just allude to them with "knowing tones," as if they are asked to talk about the details of child molestation. Give me a break. Yellow cowards.

Guys and gals...This is all fine and dandy. Until we all come to the realization that Monte McNair is going to extend an offer to the fine members of www.KingsFans.com to become the Sacramento Kings' next head coach. The real question then becomes...Which one of us will be crazy enough to assume ownership of the clipboard?

:D:D:D

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Hilarious that James Ham's reporting here is just echoing the headline of a CelticsWire story that was like the fourth Google hit for "Will Hardy" earlier today (appears to have moved down now, but still).

James Ham, for when you're too damn lazy to Google it yourself!
The assumption is that he didn't know Hardy beforehand. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. By the way, there is no mention in the article that Hardy was the heir apparent to Pop. Could be that Ham got that one on his own.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The assumption is that he didn't know Hardy beforehand. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. By the way, there is no mention in the article that Hardy was the heir apparent to Pop. Could be that Ham got that one on his own.
No fewer than 5 heir apparents to Pop since Becky took the Vegas job. I'm sure Ham has the inside dirt though.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
D'Antoni is 70 years old. For a team desperate for continuity in its coaching staff, that's not a good hire.

I feel like we know who Mark Jackson, Mike Brown, and Steve Clifford are at this point, and let's just say I'm not super enthused by any.

I really don't know much of anything about Ham (I vaguely remember his college play), Lee, or Hardy, but at least they seem to be of an age where it's possible they could anchor our coaching staff for a long time. Borrego would fit that mold too, but he definitely has a bit more track record. I'd be quite a bit happier with somebody out of this group than picking up a retread.
Agreed. I hope it ends up being one of the first time head coach candidates. Ham, Lee, and Hardy have all gotten a lot of compliments from fellow coaches and players and seem ready for a full-time gig and we need to start building a culture that will persist for more than a few seasons before getting reset again. We want what the Spurs have -- an established system where everyone knows their role and the coaching staff has earned the trust of the players. Obviously it's going to take time to build that up, but going with a former Spurs assistant seems like the quickest way to get there. At least they know what a functioning system looks like from the inside.

1. We're actually interviewing coaches and

2. We're interviewing more than 1 person

So things are already looking up!
The simple life of a Kings fan. :)

I honestly think it is an appealing job to walk into. Fox/Sabonis/Davion, DDV RFA, no long-term cap problems, all future picks, a likely top 7 pick this year.
And always being known as "The Savior" is certainly a plus if you are a competitor.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Agreed. I hope it ends up being one of the first time head coach candidates. Ham, Lee, and Hardy have all gotten a lot of compliments from fellow coaches and players and seem ready for a full-time gig and we need to start building a culture that will persist for more than a few seasons before getting reset again. We want what the Spurs have -- an established system where everyone knows their role and the coaching staff has earned the trust of the players. Obviously it's going to take time to build that up, but going with a former Spurs assistant seems like the quickest way to get there. At least they know what a functioning system looks like from the inside.
Does anyone have a comprehensive breakdown of Pop's tree?

I'm curious what the hit rate is. Udoka in Boston right now obviously. Bud and the recently available Borrego. Kerr and Williams both played under him iirc. Gentry and Malone too? And Quin Snyder coached the Spurs G-League.

I think I would go with someone on that tree.

Does anyone have a comprehensive breakdown of Pop's tree?

I'm curious what the hit rate is. Udoka in Boston right now obviously. Bud and the recently available Borrego. Kerr and Williams both played under him iirc. Gentry and Malone too? And Quin Snyder coached the Spurs G-League.

I think I would go with someone on that tree.
Wow... now that you've pointed them out, I guess Pop's apples don't fall far from the tree... haha

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Hilarious that James Ham's reporting here is just echoing the headline of a CelticsWire story that was like the fourth Google hit for "Will Hardy" earlier today (appears to have moved down now, but still).

Ah yes, The Basketball Genius, James “I’d only be comfortable taking Keegan Murray 12th overall or later” Ham.

What would a mouthpiece do when its owner is done needing this said mouthpiece?

Status
Not open for further replies.