[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (NOV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Jokic had ever right to push back(and pay the consequences),...
Who disagrees with that? Who's trying to turn that into the conversation? And why?

Morris brothers are obviously known bullies, this is what they do right?
Bullies, sure. Completely unlike the guys who (allegedly) beat their girlfriend(s?), and (allegedly) threw knives at their little brother, because he wouldn't climb a tree, or something... Those guys aren't bullies, at all. </sarcasm>

I don't know whether the Morris twins are "bullies," or not, but I know that they're not the types to back down from a fight, just because they might lose the fight: they picked a fight with a football team.

And people want to be mad at the guy who bit on their BS and defended themselves?
Who's "mad" at Jokic? Where are you hearing that from?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
All you need to understand is that Jokic need not make himself "unavailable" for games because he also has tough people that got his back.
Fair enough, but I'll put it this way: Jokic's brothers might whip Markieff Morris' ass, but I'd be willing to bet that they wouldn't be able to get to Morris, before Morris could get to Jokic. That's why I said that Jokic might want to make himself unavailable: because, if Morris decides to make it personal, he's not going to wait until after the game, to fight him.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Also not sure why the internet randomly decided "Jokic and Morris probably shouldn't have let things escalate like that BUT, hey, Jokic's brothers are violent sociopaths or whatever LOLZ" is a cool narrative.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I feel like you're trolling me now. Do you have a problem with me?
  1. No, I don't.
  2. You're using the term "trolling" incorrectly.
  3. I mostly object to your use of verbiage: why do you see yourself as "just" stating your opinion, but I "felt the need" to respond? Why don't you see yourself as "feeling the need" to state your opinion?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He was not injured he just wanted no part of an angry Jokic and pretended that he was badly hurt, no one gets hurt from a bump like that that badly. Morris is softer than Towns.
Getting bowled over from behind by a 300 pound dude when you aren't expecting it can't feel all that great.

But it's better for us not to know the kinds of sacrifices the professional-grade athlete has made to get so very good at one particular thing. Oh, we'll invoke lush clichés about the lonely heroism of Olympic athletes, the pain and analgesia of football, the early rising and hours of practice and restricted diets, the preflight celibacy, et cetera. But the actual facts of the sacrifices repel us when we see them: basketball geniuses who cannot read, sprinters who dope themselves, defensive tackles who shoot up with bovine hormones until they collapse or explode. We prefer not to consider closely the shockingly vapid and primitive comments uttered by athletes in postcontest interviews or to consider what impoverishments in one's mental life would allow people actually to think the way great athletes seem to think. Note the way "up close and personal" profiles of professional athletes strain so hard to find evidence of a rounded human life–outside interests and activities, values beyond the sport. We ignore what's obvious, that most of this straining is farce. It's farce because the realities of top-level athletics today require an early and total commitment to one area of excellence. An ascetic focus. A subsumption of almost all other features of human life to one chosen talent and pursuit. A consent to live in a world that, like a child's world, is very small.
https://www.esquire.com/sports/a5151/the-string-theory-david-foster-wallace/

This excerpt reads like it's straight from the 1980s. I can't see how this applies to today's NBA at all. "Vapid and primitive comments uttered by athletes in postcontest interviews" is just a flat out wrong take about the current professional athlete in more ways than one. A number of current NBA players seek out video games, social media, nightlife, family life, building brands, investing, giving back to the community, etc. etc. in addition to bettering their craft. I have to strain so hard to find evidence of this... :rolleyes: what a joke.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
love seeing Mo show positive progress since being drafted. Orlando is the perfect place where he can play loose and not worry about making mistakes and just play

Fair enough, but I'll put it this way: Jokic's brothers might whip Markieff Morris' ass, but I'd be willing to bet that they wouldn't be able to get to Morris, before Morris could get to Jokic. That's why I said that Jokic might want to make himself unavailable: because, if Morris decides to make it personal, he's not going to wait until after the game, to fight him.
I doubt jokic is afraid of anyone. The way his brothers handled him when he was younger. When your own brother throw knives at your head I doubt he is afraid of Morris or anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.