Welcome Davion Mitchell

I'm psyched to see Monte investing in defensive players I'm hoping he can turn Buddy into a defensive player down the road as well. I'm sick and tired of opposing players circling the Kings on their calendar and knowing there will be no resistance AKA soft.

I'm psyched to see Monte investing in defensive players I'm hoping he can turn Buddy into a defensive player down the road as well. I'm sick and tired of opposing players circling the Kings on their calendar and knowing there will be no resistance AKA soft.
yup I will be really disappointed if the team is soft AF this season. Fox has a solid build now, Ty is slowly filling out to better then before, Off-Night already stacked, HB already has an NBA body, Len is a thumper etc.

yup I will be really disappointed if the team is soft AF this season. Fox has a solid build now, Ty is slowly filling out to better then before, Off-Night already stacked, HB already has an NBA body, Len is a thumper etc.
Well, Rex is gone so hopefully his defensive system of team help and playing off on switches instead of pressuring went with him. Bobby Jackson ran the exact system in summer league that they need to go with during the regular season. If they are still this bad after that then forget it all haha.

Is it just me or does this kid seemingly have a Kobe-esque work ethic when it comes to basketball and working on his game?

I mean, as much as I HATE everything about LAL ... I always respected Kobe's drive to work and improve and feel that's the area he really separated himself from his peers. That, and his on-court passion and visible anger when losing.

IMO, not enough players have that. Or develop it.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but Mitchell seems like he has it and/or is still developing it.

I remember hearing stories about how Kobe was in the gym working on his game the next day after being eliminated from the playoffs. We're already hearing similar things about Davion, such as arriving in SAC early and working out before Summer League and now again during the off-season before training camp.

I realize burn out is a real thing. And I hope Mitchell never suffers from it. But regardless of that, I absolutely LOVE everything I'm hearing about him and from him.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Mitchell isn't your typical rookie where he may hit a rookie wall sooner than others because of his build and age. However, 82 games and a whole lot of air travel will take a toll on any athlete so it may be one of those situations where it doesn't affect him because he listens to his body at the right time, gets constant massage therapy and the like so it will be interesting to see how his gym rat mentality will play out during 7 or 8 months of NBA life.

The way this dude actively attacks screens and bodies up his man is going to take a toll. Learning how to be available for close to 80
Games a year is a skill. Seems like this dude will figure it out - but there is going to be a lot of learning going on this year.

And I know we have been expecting Buddy to find a new home - but Hield and Mitchell off the bench might be a nightmare for opposing teams.

Is it just me or does this kid seemingly have a Kobe-esque work ethic when it comes to basketball and working on his game?

I mean, as much as I HATE everything about LAL ... I always respected Kobe's drive to work and improve and feel that's the area he really separated himself from his peers. That, and his on-court passion and visible anger when losing.

IMO, not enough players have that. Or develop it.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but Mitchell seems like he has it and/or is still developing it.

I remember hearing stories about how Kobe was in the gym working on his game the next day after being eliminated from the playoffs. We're already hearing similar things about Davion, such as arriving in SAC early and working out before Summer League and now again during the off-season before training camp.

I realize burn out is a real thing. And I hope Mitchell never suffers from it. But regardless of that, I absolutely LOVE everything I'm hearing about him and from him.
this is why I don’t want to trade him. Back when I was at San Diego State. Kawhi was in the gym everyday and the rest of the team started working hard with him. That’s why the team was so good when Kawhi was there. They worked their tails off. To this day, that work ethic has stuck to the team.

Mitchell isn't your typical rookie where he may hit a rookie wall sooner than others because of his build and age. However, 82 games and a whole lot of air travel will take a toll on any athlete so it may be one of those situations where it doesn't affect him because he listens to his body at the right time, gets constant massage therapy and the like so it will be interesting to see how his gym rat mentality will play out during 7 or 8 months of NBA life.
he’s gonna adjust and figure it out just like Kobe did. The work ethic is obsessive to get better and outwork his peers. He’s not gonna be Kobe but the culture we gonna build with him around will be legit

The way this dude actively attacks screens and bodies up his man is going to take a toll. Learning how to be available for close to 80
Games a year is a skill.
Seems like this dude will figure it out - but there is going to be a lot of learning going on this year.

And I know we have been expecting Buddy to find a new home - but Hield and Mitchell off the bench might be a nightmare for opposing teams.
This is where him being built like a running back hopefully helps out a great deal.

It's training camp footage from a weird angle but Davion held his own against Fox (probably would have forced him to pass out of the possession if not for that Harrison screen) and then drilled the open jumper on the other end because De'Aaron was playing super far off of him for some reason.
Iron sharpens iron. I imagine they’re going to have a huge impact on each other’s game.

When is a rookie not a rookie?
It is easy to see Mitchell being an impact player from the start. He out works everbody. He plays a tough brand of basketball. I am hoping his attitude is infectous. It is easy to see his leadership potential. The Kings lack leadership especially on defense. This guy may change the team. That is not just wishful thinking.

Last edited:
And he spent part of last night guarding an all NBA player in Paul George, who he also is shorter than by a good half a foot.
Players are going to have to try and shoot over him. He's too strong and stout to drive on. He is like a PG version of Chuck Hayes the way he sticks his body into guys and has that knack of swiping down without fouling.