Kings acquire Tristan Thompson for Delon Wright

Grade the Trade!

• Total voters

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I know getting excited about second rounders is dumb but I am excited about Queta considering he won't be buried behind 2-3 more expensive players with a future here. But I still figured we'd bring Holmes back on the early bird.
Maybe Monte canvassed the league and got some intel that Richaun would be getting an uncomfortably expensive contract?

Hmmmm... I'm a big Richaun Holmes fan. And you know one significant reason why? My man hit his free throws - 79% in each of the last two years, higher at clutch time (or too it seemed).

TT can board, but can't hit his free throws. Bagley doesn't hit his FTs. Fox doesn't hit enough FTs. Ty doesn't take many FTs and Mitchell is unlikely to. Right now, HB is the only projected starter who takes and makes a decent amount of FTs. Subbing TT for Holmes, if that's what it is - a bit concerning in that respect.
No doubt in a one to one comp the Kings didn't get better by this move. They pick up another similar sized undersized center. Less athletic, slightly older, but easily waivable should things head south. Vlade's bold moves might have frightened Vivek a little because so far Monte is betting 1 cent at time on the penny machines, lol.

Not a fan of this one. Would rather have Delon as a 4th guard. I'm hoping we end up with at least a 2nd round pick in the deal.
And does this mean they overpay for Davis now? Delon actually brought a little more size than TD so man, this team is going all out on the small guard thing it would seem. Get Don Nelson on the phone and we're good!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
No doubt in a one to one comp the Kings didn't get better by this move. They pick up another similar sized undersized center. Less athletic, slightly older, but easily waivable should things head south. Vlade's bold moves might have frightened Vivek a little because so far Monte is betting 1 cent at time on the penny machines, lol.
The thing is that Thompson is also surprisingly moveable as an expiring + as a guy who played with Lebron with name recognition (which, if the Westbrook deal has shown us anything, is apparently more important than whether a player is useful or not).

I know getting excited about second rounders is dumb but I am excited about Queta considering he won't be buried behind 2-3 more expensive players with a future here. But I still figured we'd bring Holmes back on the early bird.
They still might you never know. The FA market has to few teams with money but we know Dallas has interest and they aren't getting Collins now for sure.

I don't think this is death to Holmes either. TT just a 1 year rental and could just easily slide as an upgrade to back-up C over Jones/Metu. Doesn't change the outlook at all imo.
Thompson was pretty mheh last year.... I don't think he's really a starting quality center anymore.

They still might you never know. The FA market has to few teams with money but we know Dallas has interest and they aren't getting Collins now for sure.
I think Dallas is the last banana left to potentially give Holmes a big FA deal. I think the Raptors are likely out and going to commit to OG-Barnes-Siakam front-court. Hornets drafting Kai Jones and trading for Plumlee likely means they're out too.

It'll be interesting if they forgo their usual star hunt and try to go Holmes early in FA. If not, I wonder if Holmes will leave the early bird deal on the table for that long. Not a ton of teams with cap this off-season.

Probably not, but I'd take TT in a 15-18 MPG role as a back-up C over a good majority of back-up NBA centers. My issue is not necessarily grabbing TT the player, but losing value in dealing Wright for him.
Agreed.... hopefully Thompson's salary is more advantageous to use in a bigger deal....

Again, more waiting game to really judge this move. If TT is expected to be the starting Center... yikes. If he's backing up Holmes? Sure. We lost value on the trade, but it's not enough to really gripe with us balancing the roster and getting a solid upgrade to a bench slot.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
So it essentially cost 2 2nd round picks to save a few mil on Cojo's contract.
With the frequency of picks being traded last night I'm pretty sure if we really wanted anyone we could have bought our way into any pick after the lottery. I know this team sucks so we're overly excited by 2nd round pick prospects, and I'm guilty of being excited about the one we drafted last night as well, but reality is we drafted two guys that the draft experts gave massive tongue baths to and unqualified A+ to the draft last year and they could not sniff the court.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Not going to lose sleep over Delon Wright. Fun fact, he's only a year younger than Tristan Thompson.
I enjoyed his play at the end of the season just fine but it was clear he would be one of the first moved as soon as pick 9 was in last night. Not excited about TT but it does address a need and seems to give us a guy we could repackage easily.

Not sure what ATL is doing, more guards?

Not going to lose sleep over Delon Wright. Fun fact, he's only a year younger than Tristan Thompson.
Yeah but he fits the new defensive focus we are seemingly going toward. Although I can understand the positional issue being that we got 225 guard reserves at the moment...

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I enjoyed his play at the end of the season just fine but it was clear he would be one of the first moved as soon as pick 9 was in last night. Not excited about TT but it does address a need and seems to give us a guy we could repackage easily.

Not sure what ATL is doing, more guards?
For all our kvetching about Monte having too many guards, the Hawks now have Trae, Delon, and Sharife Cooper at PG and Bogi, Kevin Huerter, DeAndre Hunter at SG all "clogging" up their rotation.