Trade target or ‘21 FA target thread

I just dont see KAT in that light. A poor defensive 5 doesn't really compare to Fox IMO.
KAT's talent is undeniable and he can't really be blamed for the Wolves ineptitude. It was the same argument people used against Cuz despite it not being his fault. Plus your point was that KAT hasn't proven he leads to wins, but the same applies to Fox.

I'm not saying he's worth four 1st rounders btw.

KAT is NOT worth that. I think Minnesota would actually let him go for much less if they decided to move on from him. He has not demonstrated that he translates into wins.
The question is not about wether he is worth that or not, the question is what would it take to trade him if only thing you can offer is net neutral (or negative) contracts and picks. In that situation its those contracts and about four picks. Aigain: its not my evaluation of his tallents, its my evaluation of what it would take to trade for him.

Wrong.
Looking at rpm win shares Fox is 5.07 which is 21st in the league.
KAT is 2.01 for 103rd.
Per RAPTOR rating Fox is +0,1 and KAT is +3,1. In general I would always much rather have a high level offensive creator rather than defensive limited big. Still what Dime Dropper said is valid: if someone offered you a huge contract (neutral/negative value) like Hield and a protected pick for Fox, you would laugh at that. Its the same thing for KAT. The going rate for star status players have been seen lately. It takes a lot. With our assets, we dont even need to dream about trading for stars, at least without including Fox or Haliburton in the deal. That ship has sailed as we have done zero planning to get any additional future assets.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Per: https://sny.tv/articles/sources-kni...onzo-ball-what-it-would-take-to-trade-for-him

If thats available for us, then take it. Match salaries with CoJo and whatever you need and take the additional 1st for eating the Bledsoe contract
Seems like a bit of an expensive late first (I assume they're talking about the Lakers' pick) but something like CoJo/Parker for Bledsoe probably makes us better in the short run. The cost comes up to about $20M for that first round pick, which is a bit high (the marginal value of a pick in that range is say $12-15M) but with the CoJo->Bledsoe upgrade, it seems like a no-brainer.

Seems like a bit of an expensive late first (I assume they're talking about the Lakers' pick) but something like CoJo/Parker for Bledsoe probably makes us better in the short run. The cost comes up to about $20M for that first round pick, which is a bit high (the marginal value of a pick in that range is say $12-15M) but with the CoJo->Bledsoe upgrade, it seems like a no-brainer.
At first it seemed like a no brainer to me but when using the trade machine I noticed there’s 3 years on his contract. So it’s not just paying $20 mil for the pick. You’re on the hook for about 20 mil for another 2 years for someone who might not accept cojo’s role.

I think trading holmes, unless you have a stunning offer is a bad move. He has a 5M/yr contract, probably could be kept for 5-8M/year. You will not find that kind of production at that position for that cheap anywhere. Plus, he actually likes it in Sacramento.

As for moving forward, i would try to put center a large trade around bagley, buddy and Beli/parker and a first (maybe 2) for a major star like KAT. I'd be ok with moving some combo of the above for a player like Jerami Grant or Jaylen Brown as well.

Fox
Hali
Barnes
KAT
Holmes

Or

Fox
Hali
Brown/Grant
Barnes
Holmes

Fox, Hali, Barnes (probably moved to 4 in a grant or brown senario) should be kept (again unless you get a major offer for barnes). Barnes is probably is 3-5M/year overpaid, but the tangibles and intangibles (including community work, leadership and being an all around glue guy on the court and locker room) is worth it. Afterall, he is one of the very few who can get his own shot (often whenever you need him to) and is always the lead defender (better defender than the numbers show consider the dreck of defensive players he is covering for). I also think you could try to move bagley, bjeli and 2nd rounders for Markkanen and filler.

Fox
Buddy
Barnes
Markkanen
Holmes

I'd stay as far from Porzingis as possible. He has reached his ceiling and isnt making much headway towards a championship on a team with a top 5 player in the league. He isnt going to propel the kings into the playoffs or contention (nor would Markkanen but he is much cheaper).
All a team has to do is offer Holmes the MLE which is over 10 million a year. I can't see him flying under the radar this summer. If he is then GM's are clueless. Hopefully they are.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
At first it seemed like a no brainer to me but when using the trade machine I noticed there’s 3 years on his contract. So it’s not just paying $20 mil for the pick. You’re on the hook for about 20 mil for another 2 years for someone who might not accept cojo’s role.
The three years on the Bledsoe contract are this year (made up for by losing the CoJo/Parker contracts), next year ($18.1M) and a third year (partially-guaranteed at $3.9M). We would not pick up the remainder of the third season (unless he was really working out!), so the total cost of the contract in the next two years would be $22M. But since we would save the $2.4M guaranteed on CoJo's contract next year, it's about $20M total.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
All a team has to do is offer Holmes the MLE which is over 10 million a year. I can't see him flying under the radar this summer. If he is then GM's are clueless. Hopefully they are.
We can also offer the MLE to match. If necessary, that's what we do, and that's where our MLE goes to. I don't actually see any info on what the MLE will be next year, but it was $9.258M last year, so it may not exceed $10M. We could also use an Early Bird exception, which will allow us to go to to 105% of the average salary from this year, which looks like it's going to come up to about $10M - so we could take the Early Bird up to about $10.5M. That actually may end up being more than the MLE anyway, and would leave us our MLE to use.

I don't think we need to worry about a team sniping us on Holmes with the MLE. Even if it turns out they can offer a couple extra hundred thousand when all the numbers come out, we can A) match with our MLE and B) the value is so close that a player like Holmes who has indicated a desire to stay in Sac could easily forgo a small amount to help his team out by using Early Bird, leaving the MLE available.

What we need to worry about is a team sniping us with cap space. We'll have to see how many teams have any, and who they want to spend it on.

We can also offer the MLE to match. If necessary, that's what we do, and that's where our MLE goes to. I don't actually see any info on what the MLE will be next year, but it was $9.258M last year, so it may not exceed $10M. We could also use an Early Bird exception, which will allow us to go to to 105% of the average salary from this year, which looks like it's going to come up to about $10M - so we could take the Early Bird up to about $10.5M. That actually may end up being more than the MLE anyway, and would leave us our MLE to use.

I don't think we need to worry about a team sniping us on Holmes with the MLE. Even if it turns out they can offer a couple extra hundred thousand when all the numbers come out, we can A) match with our MLE and B) the value is so close that a player like Holmes who has indicated a desire to stay in Sac could easily forgo a small amount to help his team out by using Early Bird, leaving the MLE available.

What we need to worry about is a team sniping us with cap space. We'll have to see how many teams have any, and who they want to spend it on.
I was going on the idea that the Kings could get him for 5-8. I've seen that bandied about in some reports too. I'm not sure what the Kings would feel his value to be but we already know if they feel a player is outside of that window they will let them go as was the case with Bogdan which in the end was apparently a very wise decision.